Thread: Nike's assault on conventional football fashion continues...

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Nike's assault on conventional football fashion continues...

Nike’s assault on conventional football fashion continues via Tigers, Cardinal, Spartans, Buckeyes

By Matt Hinton

Admit it: Between Georgia, Boise State and Oregon, you probably thought Nike's ongoing assault on unorthodox uniform designs had taken its best shot on the season's opening weekend, didn't you? Big weekend, big games, a few one-shot atrocities never to be seen or heard from again, that sort of thing. Well the almighty Swoosh has news for you, my friend: Widely reviled, non-traditional football fashion never sleeps.

Tuesday, Nike rolled out alternative "Pro Combat" looks for four teams: LSU (which plans its all-white look for Oct. 22 vs. Auburn), Stanford (Nov. 27 vs. Notre Dame), Michigan State (Oct. 15 vs. Michigan) and Ohio State (Oct. 29 vs. Wisconsin). And frankly, as widely reviled alternative uniforms go, they're not exactly reinventing the wheel. LSU's white helmet and white pants are more or less the usual design, only white instead of gold/yellow. Michigan State is going with a gold lid and gold numbers after decades of remaining exclusively green and white. Stanford, too, is breaking up an eternity of white helmets for a black dome against the Fighting Irish, but the red-on-red combination below the neck is nearly identical to the one Georgia wore against Boise State on Sept. 3, give or take a few degrees in the shade of red.

more: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...n=ncaaf-wp6283

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

Re: Nike's assault on conventional football fashion continues...

Sometimes they aren't that bad, and sometimes they are just horrible.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Oregon's new uni's are just straight up badass. Not all of the new uniforms are bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Oregon's new uni's are just straight up badass. Not all of the new uniforms are bad.
    I agree, at least most of Oregon's uniform combos are pretty damn cool. Football traditionalists don't like them, but I do.

When a school has a ton of tradition, I don't like when they make changes. Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, Penn State, Alabama, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, Southern Cal, Georgia, etc. are all schools where the uniforms are classics. They don't need changed (other than putting the gray stripes back on the Ohio State jersey sleeves).

But an Oregon or Boise State.....they don't have that deep rooted tradition....so when they tweak their uniforms I don't mind (as long as it looks good lol)

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy