Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 - feeding the addiction

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

2012 - feeding the addiction

2011 saw the emergence of the Steelers Universe Draft Celebrity.

Own very own LLT and Chidi became media personalities who gained respect and credibility with their analysis and opinions.

But as well all know that behind every celebrity is usually an entourage of hangers on that feed the dream. Usually they rely on their agent, their media consultant, their wardrobe consultant, their stylist and some even have time for a family life.

However those of us in the know, that for every star there also needs to be a pimp and dealer to feed their addictions. And everyone here knows that here at Steelers Universe we have many pimps and dealers that feed the habits of LLT and Chidi.

So here I am in 2012 with my efforts to ensure that our mock junkies dont go into unnecessary withdrawals.

Today was not a good day all round. Actually I think I may have got lucky when I chose to record todays game. (it started at 3am here in Oz)
    I spent the last two days preping for an operation that most men in their 40's and above with a family of bowel cancer know all about. Whilst I was under getting probed in the alien way little did I know that the Steeler O line would be invaded with the same indignity that I was experiencing. After I awoke from the drug induced slumber I recouped quick enough at home to jump online to see the outcome. A performance that was as loose and equally bad on the nose as I had been myself.

The final outcome for me was much better. At least I was given a clean bill of health and the prospects of a couple of positive seasons in front of me. I am reluctant to forecast the same for the Steelers.

Lets start feeding the addiction.

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Re: 2012 - feeding the addiction

Congrats on the clean bill of health!

As for the Steelers, we got our asses handed to us in a Victoria Secret bag. Is that all you girls got to show??

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

Week 1 Mock draft ( still using NFLDRAFTSCOUT.COM as my reference point for rankings)

As of today, September 12 2011, the steelers are officially ranked #31 in the nfl and number 2 on the draft clock. With that in mind I dont want to pick at #2 and can see great value in trading with someone ( Seattle Seahawks at #6 , Pete Carroll will want Matt Barkley QB from USC giving up 1st, 2nd Round picks in 2012 plus a high 2013 pick)

Round 1 (Traded from #2 to #6 with Seattle)

Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabama JNR 6,2 192"

Time to sure up the secondary with a stud. No need to be in the QB sweepstakes and I dont see Kalil at this pick over the bama CB.

Round 2

David De Castro OG Stanford JNR 6'5 312"

Left Guard is a major need. Time to get the man that has been missing since Faneca was in his prime.

Round 2 - 38

Alameda Ta'amu Washington DT 6'4 330''

Josh Chapman is gone and I really could see an ILB here like Hightower, Keuchly or others. I dont see a NT of quality that is available later. Time to plan for life after Casey.

Round 3

Shane Skov ILB Stanford
    6'3 243"

I dont see 5 ILB's being taken in the first two rounds so i am going to dream a little in having James Farrior's heir fall this far. I dream for Donta Hightower ( i have been pimping him for 2 years) but I cant afford that luxury here. ILB is an absolute must this draft and this guy is a tiresome contributor across the field. Skov is a gamer who much like Timmons could handle multiple positions in the steelers 3-4 LB corp.

Round 4

Brandon Mosely OT Auburn 6
    '6 320'

Top 100 pick and I think that Marcus Gilbert is the LT heir apparent. A RT / swing tackle would be a good pick for the team

Round 5

Doug Martin RB Boise State 5
    '9 215"

Mendenhall is in the last year of his contract. He has shown himself to be outspoken and probably with go the way of former #1 picks Burress and Holmes. Redman gets the starters hat, Baron Batch looks like a 3rd down candidate so lets bring in a good RB to compete. He can run with power and is able to catch out of the backfield. The days of Bettis are long gone and this offense looks for multidimensional backs.

Round 6

Nick Foles QB Arizona
    6'5 240"

Batch is old, Lefty has no righty and Dixon is just not up to it. Why not bring in a QB for a look. Truth be known Foles climbs the board in a big way and wont make it past the 3rd or 4th on his measurables alone.

Round 7

Tony Jerod-Eddie DE Texas A&M
    6'5 300"

Why? I like his name. I like his size and at this point of the season I dont have any real sleepers. Camp body because Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel are slowing with age. One will be gone and the practice squad needs a big unit on it.

Dont forget that there will be about 2 comp picks in the draft because of Matt Spaeth and Co that left via free agency.

LOOK - ITS EARLY IN THE SEASON AND MY STUFF IS NOT GOOD YET.
    The 2011 recipe was not real good and I was way off the mark. This early in the season my mock cant be as bad as what I served up last year. ( really - what was I thinking with going with Brandon Harris)

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    Congrats on the clean bill of health!

As for the Steelers, we got our asses handed to us in a Victoria Secret bag. Is that all you girls got to show??
    Thanks Stillers4me.

Did they leave any sexy lingerie in the victoria's secrets bag? I am just asking what I know TEX is thinking.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Completely missed this thread. Glad I came across it last night.

First off, happy to hear the doctors' news.

Just started to get into the draft, but I can comment on a few things.

Don't see us taking a CB in the first round. It's not our M.O., just two in the first since '79, and I don't see that changing. Especially trading up and giving up a lot to get one.

Watched Mosley the other day and was impressed. Wish he was a little bit nastier though. Like my big uglies to have that fire in their bellies.

You're right that I don't see Foles falling that far. Although I haven't watched him yet and don't have any feelings on him yet.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Look forward to discussing the draft throughout the year Aussie.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
    Thanks Stillers4me.

Did they leave any sexy lingerie in the victoria's secrets bag? I am just asking what I know TEX is thinking.
    You know me well.

I'm hanging on to the LB idea in the first round that or a NT. All though your 2nd round pick would please me. I have an idea we may go OL again in the 3rd again. Haven't had a chance to watch much collage yet but I am going to.

I am so happy that you got a clean bill of heath. I know you haven't been feeling to well for a while and I have been concerned about that. Keep me up dated.

AML

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    Completely missed this thread. Glad I came across it last night.

First off, happy to hear the doctors' news.

Just started to get into the draft, but I can comment on a few things.

Don't see us taking a CB in the first round. It's not our M.O., just two in the first since '79, and I don't see that changing. Especially trading up and giving up a lot to get one.

Watched Mosley the other day and was impressed. Wish he was a little bit nastier though. Like my big uglies to have that fire in their bellies.

You're right that I don't see Foles falling that far. Although I haven't watched him yet and don't have any feelings on him yet.
    I dont see us drafting in that spot at all. I am just going to mock out a few drafts using our current standings on nfl.com ( currently we are ranked #31)

Got to watch Boise State yesterday play Toledo. I kept a very keen eye on Nate Potter LT. Gotta say I wasnt impressed with him at all. Got beat by the speed guys in the passing game and in the running game he consistently left his feet and dived at the knees of his assigned man. Doesnt look like a steeler at all.

However I did find a steeler candidate in the Iowa State game. LT Kelechi Osemele looked like this years Mike Iupati. He is a huge man who handle the LT spot with ease in the college game. However he has OG written all over him in the pro's. If you get a chance have a look at some film. He is a steeler guard in the making.

Getting a lot of college games through cable this year as well as ESPN3 being provided via my iSP provider. I am a very lucky man this year.

Caught some of the Arizona vs Stanford game

Stanford at times just played jumbo running football out of the I formation. ( no WR's) DeCastro was a beast at RG. He pulled and blocked like an animal. He has top 40 pick written all over him.

I am getting excited by the play of both DeCastro and Osemele.

The only disappointment in this game was the injury to Shane Skov. Could be season ending which would likely mean that he wont declare this year.

Like you tex all I want is OG, NT and ILB.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
    Caught some of the Arizona vs Stanford game

Stanford at times just played jumbo running football out of the I formation. ( no WR's) DeCastro was a beast at RG. He pulled and blocked like an animal. He has top 40 pick written all over him.

I am getting excited by the play of both DeCastro and Osemele.

The only disappointment in this game was the injury to Shane Skov. Could be season ending which would likely mean that he wont declare this year.

Like you tex all I want is OG, NT and ILB.
    This is a good year to pick up a stud ILB in the first round.

Courtney Upshaw of Alabama 6'2 265 4.76...
    Manti Te'o of Notre Dame 6'2 255 4.59....
    and Don'ta Hightower of Alabama 6'4 260 4.74

BUT.... this class is pretty deep with Vontaze Burfict of Arizona State (who I like alot), Luke Kuechly of Boston College, and Emmanuel Acho of Texas all being possible 2nd and 3rd round prospects.

So the question becomes ...do you go for a prospect in the earlier rounds who plays a position that isnt as deep in this draft...with the knowledge that you can still get a stud at ILB later on?

I would be tempted to take NT Alameda Ta'amu of Washington (6'3 337) in the first and look at a stud ILB in the 2nd or third. That being said...Ta'amu is playing with a cast on one arm and it is affecting his stats....he could slide into the 2nd if that continues which would be fine by me!!

Variables...gotta love em!
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I'd be happy with DeCastro or Ta'amu at this point.

Good to hear you have a clean bill o health. But, you say "operation"....didn't you just get scoped?? or was it more invasive? Just curious because I am in the med field and have had to drink the colyte too. Funny thing is they now have HD scopes because you cant view a colon in standard definition any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I'd be happy with DeCastro or Ta'amu at this point.

Good to hear you have a clean bill o health. But, you say "operation"....didn't you just get scoped?? or was it more invasive? Just curious because I am in the med field and have had to drink the colyte too. Funny thing is they now have HD scopes because you cant view a colon in standard definition any longer.
    scoped is probably the medically correct term. Was knocked out, so I missed the pleasure / pain. Polyps and roids are always on the agenda.

I know that we are all keyed in on OG, NT and ILB but I think that Mendenhall will be gone at the end of his contract. Redman is the logical man to step up however there will be a spot open for another RB. Throw in OT and this draft will give us plenty of options to toss around.

With the new rookie pay scale I will be very intrigued to see the mindset that teams now employ with their draft strategy. Some teams are going to trade up like crazy because it isnt going to cost them huge in terms of salary and signing bonus money, whilst cap constricted teams will employ the pats strategy of trading down to stock up on picks to fill rosters with cheaper options.

Colbert probably sticks true to form and takes BPA. Depending on where they pick is has to be O line IMO. OG's on the roster look horrendous, but I cant say that OT is much better.

Up early again this morning so I thought I would throw another early Mock out based on current draft rankings.

1) OG David DeCastro Stanford 6'5 312
    I totally agree with Aussie about DeCastro. He plays more like Faneca then he does Kemo. Athletic OG who is one of the better run blockers that I have seen in a while.

2) NT Kwame Geathers Georgia 6'5 350
    Huge NT prospect with NFL bloodlines. Now that we have a youth movement at DE. you have to think that this is the year to bring in a young NT.

3) ILB James-Michael Johnson Nevada 6'1 240
    Underrated ILB prosepect who has quietly racked up 32 TFL over the last three years. Has played inside and outside. Good understanding of playing the pass.

4) OT Tony Bergstrom Utah 6'5 315
    Has experience at both LT and RT. Has played last 26 games at RT. Did not allow a sack in regular season last year. Academic All-American

5) FS/SS Aaron Henry Wisconsin 6'0 210
    Former cornerback who excelled at safety last year. Returned two interceptions and one fumble recovery for touchdowns. Led the team in forced fumbles.

6) QB John Brantley Florida 6'3 220
    I will take a beating for this one but i think that Brantly has the potential to be a good QB in the right system, He has a career completion rate of 66.3% and a career QB rating of 155.5. I look for him to go much higher than projected.

7) SS Sean Richardson Vanderbilt 6'2 220
    Yes . another safety and another sleeper pick. Troy and Ryan are not getting any younger and their backups have not shown themselves as being lights out players. Last year Richardson racked up 98 tackles, an impressive 7 tackles for loss,(very nice at the strong safety position), 3 QB hurries, and defended 7 passes. He is an excellent special teams player.
    Last edited by LLT; 09-23-2011 at 11:26 AM.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

I like you picks. I am shifting my first round toward a OG and think there will be one of two very good ones. NT at 2 has always been my thinking, and that makes Johnson in the three a very attractive pick. I have started reading a lot on Johnson lately. The rest of your picks follow my line of thought as well. Thanks LLT

AML

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    I like you picks. I am shifting my first round toward a OG and think there will be one of two very good ones. NT at 2 has always been my thinking, and that makes Johnson in the three a very attractive pick. I have started reading a lot on Johnson lately. The rest of your picks follow my line of thought as well. Thanks LLT
    James-Michael Johnson is now fourth in the nation overall, and leads all FBS players with 34 tackles for loss. We have to keep an eye on this kid!!

I am also keeping an eye on Emmanuel Acho from from Texas .....and two more sleepers.

1) Marcus Dowtin from North Alabama
    2) Jerry Franklin of Arkansas

-- Jack Lambert --

Black and Gold Lantern Array title="The Duke is just really nice"> The Duke's Avatar

I haven't been able to watch much college football so far, but I'm concentrating on Datko and Matt Reynolds. Two tackles very likely to be at the end of the first round

really think 2012 is the year we get some real tackles
    "We're a team. There's no offense. There's no defense. There's no special teams. We're one. We're a band of brothers." – Ben Roethlisberger

OK, I played around with a few other positions, but now I would like, once again, to say, " I want an OT " A few of the kids that have caught my attention are.

Andrew Datko, Florida St, 6'6", 321 lb, 5.23 / 40. Late 1st round. This may be my early favorite mainly because he played LT all last year and did a good job. After missing 3 game Datko came back to allow only 1 sack in 11 games, committed only 3 penalties, and only miss 5 blocking assignments. Season grade was 87, second only to Rodney Hudson.

Levy Adcock, Oklahoma St. 6'5" 321 lb, 5.23 / 40. Late 1st round. Adcock played RT all year last year, and did not give up one sack. They have moved him to LT this year so we may know a little more about him later on.

Nate Potter, Boise St. 6'6" 298 lb, 5.18 / 40. Mid to late 2nd round. Potter is undersized and looks to me to have trouble with a bull rush. Can be beat on the outside by a speed rusher but can normally recover.

Matt Reynolds, BYU, 6'4", 305 lb, 5.28 / 40. Late 2nd to mid 3rd. Matt is a little older than the other players, but that may mean he will be closer to playing time. Is was the main lineman on a time that had 7, 200 year rushing games last year. I think their season average was 198 ypg. BYU also gave up 0 sacks in the first 4 games and 2 or less sacks per game in the last 11.

Markus Zusevics, Iowa, 6'5", 300 lb. 5.00 /40 4th or 5th round. A lively OT that seems to be technically sound. Played RT on a good Iowa line mostly because Riley Reiff laid claim to the left side. Solid play that took almost every meaningful snap last year.

Blake DeChristopher, VT, 6'4", 312 lb. 5.10 / 40 Late rounds. Blake was mentioned among the top OTs last year, but suffered a few injuries. He is a tremendous run blocking lineman, that gauges his block by how many times he knocks the defender to the ground.

AML

I've watched Datko twice. Like him a lot too Tex. Very agile and has a solild foundation for a guy that is 6'6. A lot of times, those tall guys double over. Not Datko.

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    I've watched Datko twice. Like him a lot too Tex. Very agile and has a solild foundation for a guy that is 6'6. A lot of times, those tall guys double over. Not Datko.
    I think the main problem with Datko is that if he has a good year he may move right out of our reach. I am hoping that the 3 top Jr.s will come out to help push him closer to us.

AML

I think the main problem with Datko is that if he has a good year he may move right out of our reach. I am hoping that the 3 top Jr.s will come out to help push him closer to us.
    Always seems to happen to us. We talk about a guy on here, he gets noticed, and then winds up in the Top Ten. Jonathan Scott continues to start at LT for us. I cry a little more inside. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Yea, unless we do end up having a down year, Datko will likely be gone. There will still be very usable OTs available, but then, our bar for OTs is not set that high.

AML

Caught some of BYU's last game ( against Utah State) and Matt Reynolds looked solid. He played at LT and kept his feet for most of the game ( unlike Nate Potter).

To me Reynolds looks like a RT or a OG. Will be a 3rd rounder or lower at this stage.

I pimped him hard the last few seasons but he is not our O line saviour in waiting.

Was keen to see Pitts Lucas Nix play this week but unfortunately for him he got banged up and had to leave the game. ( MRI reports show that he has no serious damage on a positive note)
    Ray Graham was an absolute beast in the game against USF.
    Was watching Brandon Lindsey who was playing with his hand down at both LDE and RDE. Reports had it that he didnt handle the OLB switch previously and was moved back to DE. He will earn high grades as a pass rusher, but still may get some looks as a 34 OLB.

Please, Please -- we need OT, OG and NT. It hurts to see a steelers team that is not capable of running the ball or stopping the run.

If I had to pick the first 4 rounds right now I would go with.

1. Andrew Datko OT, The best Sr OT in the next draft. If we keep playing like this he may not be out of reach.

2. Devion Still DT, Can he play NT at 310? Has a bunch of TFL, and can get to the QB.
    2b Donteari Poe DT, If he comes out hes 350 he eats up blocks. Sound like a Steeler NT.

James- Michael Johnson ILB, Gets tons of tackle and quick enough to cover sideline to sideline. ( Take a look at Tyler Nielson out of Iowa as well. )

Amini Silatolu OG. A real roadgrader that is know for knocking people out of the way in the running game..

AML

2. Devion Still DT, Can he play NT at 310? Has a bunch of TFL, and can get to the QB.
    2b Donteari Poe DT, If he comes out hes 350 he eats up blocks. Sound like a Steeler NT.

So far this year Still has 24TOT, 7TFL, and 1 sack.
    Poe has 13TOT

AML

Bad new on Datko. I am reading the the shoulder surgery earlier this month was not a success and one place said he may not play football again.

AML

Yea, unless we do end up having a down year, Datko will likely be gone. There will still be very usable OTs available, but then, our bar for OTs is not set that high.
    What would you think of Stanford's Left Tackle Jonathan Martin? Or Michigan State NT Jerel Worthy? I watched the Wisconsin/Michigan State game to get another look at Tackles Ricky Wagner and Josh Oglesby....I ended up watching Worthy the majority of the time and was impressed by his demeanor (very vocal) and his apparant football intelligence. He seemed to be making some of the defensive adjustments for the team.

-- Jack Lambert --

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

I watched a few minutes of an SMU game a couple weeks ago and I was really impressed with Senior quarterback JJ McDermott. We should keep our eyes on him for 2012 and a deeper draft pick.

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    I watched the Wisconsin/Michigan State game to get another look at Tackles Ricky Wagner and Josh Oglesby....I ended up watching Worthy the majority of the time and was impressed by his demeanor (very vocal) and his apparant football intelligence. He seemed to be making some of the defensive adjustments for the team.
    How did Wisconsin OG Kevin Zeitler look Perry?

I love DeCastro but I think he will be a top 15 pick when all is said and done. Zeitler may be the man down the draft if we are looking for a LG to replace Kemo.

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    What would you think of Stanford's Left Tackle Jonathan Martin? Or Michigan State NT Jerel Worthy? I watched the Wisconsin/Michigan State game to get another look at Tackles Ricky Wagner and Josh Oglesby....I ended up watching Worthy the majority of the time and was impressed by his demeanor (very vocal) and his apparant football intelligence. He seemed to be making some of the defensive adjustments for the team.
    I would sell a kidney to get Martin, but if Kalil, Martin, and Reiff come out, and I thing they will, I would expect them to be gone before the mid teens. If Wagner comes out he would be one for us to watch. You know I am a big Datko, and Adcook fan, but don't like what I have been reading on Datko.

I also like DeCastro, but agree he will be gone early. I am starting to lean toward Cordy Glenn from Georgia, I also like Lucas Nix from Pitt but think hes injured right now. Kevin Zeitler could also be a 2nd or 3rd round option.

If he comes out, and I think he probably will, I Worthy would be a great pick for us, but I am starting to fall in love with Devon Still of Penn St. How ever I have the felling he will go the way of Wilkerson last year and be gone before we get a shot at him.

These are all early round pick. There also several interesting kids that should fall into the mid to later rounds, like Bergstrom of Utah / OT, Zuservics of Iowa / OT, Silatolu of Midwestern State / OG, and Mike Martin of Michigan / DT.

Also, if you get a chance take a look at Tyler Nielson of Iowa. He plays OLB, but I think his future is at ILB in the pros.

AML

I would sell a kidney to get Martin, but if Kalil, Martin, and Reiff come out, and I thing they will, I would expect them to be gone before the mid teens. If Wagner comes out he would be one for us to watch. You know I am a big Datko, and Adcook fan, but don't like what I have been reading on Datko.

I also like DeCastro, but agree he will be gone early. I am starting to lean toward Cordy Glenn from Georgia, I also like Lucas Nix from Pitt but think hes injured right now. Kevin Zeitler could also be a 2nd or 3rd round option.

If he comes out, and I think he probably will, I Worthy would be a great pick for us, but I am starting to fall in love with Devon Still of Penn St. How ever I have the felling he will go the way of Wilkerson last year and be gone before we get a shot at him.

These are all early round pick. There also several interesting kids that should fall into the mid to later rounds, like Bergstrom of Utah / OT, Zuservics of Iowa / OT, Silatolu of Midwestern State / OG, and Mike Martin of Michigan / DT.

Also, if you get a chance take a look at Tyler Nielson of Iowa. He plays OLB, but I think his future is at ILB in the pros.
    I have mentioned Bergstrom of Utah also. He may raise up the charts a bit...he is very intelligent and didnt allow a sack at all last season.

-- Jack Lambert --