Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 2012 - feeding the addiction

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

Re: 2012 - feeding the addiction

5th round WR - A.J. Jenkins
    90 receptions for 1,276 yards and 8 TDS , four or more catches in all 13 games this year

Check out this monster game
    "It comes with the Territory" - Floyd 'Money' Mayweather

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post
    Wouldn't mind Fangupo but it would have to be in the latter half of the draft.

No idea where Wayne State is without looking.
    I'd take a look at Fangopu in the 4th or later. Some worry about his age because of the ususal BYU mission work, but Keisel and Hoke had rather long careers here. Hightower in the 1st, Osemele in the 2nd, Brandon Brooks in the 3rd, Fangopu in the 4th.....would be good at getting younger on the lines and ILB.

Swaggin' University Array title="ShutDown24 has a spectacular aura about"> ShutDown24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I'd take a look at Fangopu in the 4th or later. Some worry about his age because of the ususal BYU mission work, but Keisel and Hoke had rather long careers here. Hightower in the 1st, Osemele in the 2nd, Brandon Brooks in the 3rd, Fangopu in the 4th.....would be good at getting younger on the lines and ILB.
    That doesn't sound too bad. But as I said, I wouldn't touch Fangupo until the fifth at the earliest. Jut my opinion of the player.

Do you really think Brooks makes it to round 3? I've been thinking he's more of a second round option at this point.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post
    That doesn't sound too bad. But as I said, I wouldn't touch Fangupo until the fifth at the earliest. Jut my opinion of the player.

Do you really think Brooks makes it to round 3? I've been thinking he's more of a second round option at this point.
    I think we all get enmoured by players and put a certain grade on them, but the fact is that with so much talent at the interior line, its a numbers game of what linemen get picked infront of him. Also, I think interior line is the least valued position in the draft.

I can see Decastro, Glenn, Konz, Zeitler, Silatolu, Osemele, Blake, Washington, Brewster, Ben Jones, Tony Bergstrom all drafted ahead of him. Being the 10th-15th interior lineman off the board could put him in that range. He didnt dominate the Shrine game and still wasnt deemed worthy of a combine invite.

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

Clemson defensive end Andre Branch (4/16)
    Louisiana-Lafayette tight end Ladarius Green (4/16)
    Georgia Tech receiver Stephen Hill (4/17) AKA Limas Hill?
    Cincinnati defensive tackle John Hughes (4/16)
    Michigan State receiver Keshawn Martin (4/16)
    California offensive tackle Mitchell Schwartz (4/17)

updated list per :http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...rkout-tracker/

Looking at who we have brought in so far...and what rounds the positions average out...Here are my thoughts and a new 7 round draft.

1st round: Sticking with ILB Donta Hightower, NT Jerel Worthy or OT Mike Adams. They should still be on the board and its our greatest positions of need. Hightower still gets the edge because He could start sooner than later and the ILB's behind him are light years behind him in talent. If all three are off the board, the FO wont reach....and they will draft a OLB for the future.

2nd Round: Almost a gimme that we will go with a O-lineman in this round. We have brought in 7 linemen with a late 1st to early third grade. I'm guessing Bobbie Massie or Mitchell Schwartz. Both can play OT on the right and left side and Schwartz also has the versatility to start out as a Guard like his brother.

3rd Round I'm not seeing much of a pattern in the third except at TE. However, my gut tells me that that we will probably go with the best OG left on the board unless there is a run on them. Otherwise I will say the best NT still on the board or TE Michael Egnew.

4th Round: WR T.Y. Hilton would be a great addition to the young money crew and a solid 4th round pick. Depending on how the draft pans out...also look for NT Hebron Hangupo to be looked at very hard.

5th Round: It gets trickier as it goes but I think that NT is still a need and Hebron Fangupo could be a likely pick in the 4th. If still on the board in the 5th round, we would pull the trigger. A DE is also a possiblity.

6th Round: If we dont go with a DE in the 4th or 5th, then we may go with one in the 6th since we brought in Derek Wolfe, Cam Johnson, and Akiem Hicks. Johnson will be gone and most likely Derek Wolfe will be also....Akiem Hicks would be be good value in this round.

7th Round: I would like to see us grab another OG in the 7th as a projection player....also could see us grabbing a D-back of some kind and an OLB is also possible.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

My second to last mock. I reserve the right to change this one more time before next weeks draft

Round 1 Nick Perry OLB USC 6’3 270”
    I ultimately think that Donta Hightower will be gone. If a team seriously wants him they have to move above #24 to get him. A team like the Ravens would do this to ensure they get stronger whilst also preventing a divisional foe from getting stronger.
    James Harrison is on his last legs. Jason Worilds is not inspiring any confidence and might ultimately be the next Arnold Harrison. Chris Carter is an unknown. As we know the steelers D is only as good as the strength of its linebackers and the quality of the pass rush they generate.
    Perry may well be the odd man out come draft day due. Is he a DE or OLB?? Someone always falls and I am guessing it is Perry.

Round 2 Kelechi Osemele OT Iowa State 6’6 333”
    No matter which way I look at this round it has to be O line. Zeitler is gone. Massie has loads of potential but his twitter comments really scare me about his maturity. It is too early for Schwartz, Brooks is a bit too bulky and unknown for my liking. Silatolu is the only other real prospect and I thing he will be gone. It may be a reach but a big O line body is a must in this round. Plus every pick cannot come from the official visit list.

Round 3 Chris Rainey RB Florida 5’9 180”
    Todd Haley is going to get a toy somewhere in the draft. I say it is early and I say it is likely going to be a Dexter McCluster type back. The other thing to factor in here is that Rainey who lived with the Pouncey’s when he went to High School in Florida. We know that the Maurkice had some influence in the Gilbert pick. ( I know it is a stretch but sometimes all we have is a hunch as we aren’t privy to all the inside info). Rainey is quick, elusive and possesses good hands out of the backfield. He also has slot receiver potential.

Round 4 Alameda Ta’amu DT Washington 6’3 340”
    A NT is a must somewhere in this draft. McClendon looks like he has the backing of the steelers to at least be Chris Hoke’s replacement. With Casey starting the season injured the week 1 NT is either McClendon or Hood. If the steelers are to remain true to their identity they need to plug the middle. After missing out on Hightower they will need to do the next best thing and plug the middle. I would love for Josh Chapman to be here but he is likely to be gone by the end of the second round IMO.

Round 5 Lucas Nix OG Pitt 6’5” 320”
    No nonsense guard that will work well in the trenches. Not too different to Keith Williams 2011 draft pick from Nebraska. The interior O line is in need of competition and Nix is well known and a likely fit for the steelers.

Round 6 Markus Kuhn DE NC state 6’5 299”
    Extremely raw and has plenty of upside. I initially watched film of NC state to see what the deal with JR Sweezy was. I couldn’t help but notice the guy beside him that outplayed him all day. Kuhn looked stronger, faster, more penetrating and ultimately more disruptive than his teammate who was getting better reviews. He is a young Aaron Smith in the making. Mark my words.

Round 7a
    Toney Clemons WR Colarado 6’2 210” 4.43 forty
    He has as already been in for a visit. I am treating the three 7th round picks as UDFA picks and this guy meets the criteria for possibly replacing Mike Wallace. Ty Hilton would have been my preference in the 3rd or 4th round but I am figuring that the steelers miss him and the next likely WR burner in my view is Clemons. Jordan White was my 7th round WR pimp pick but I am reluctant to change my mind and go with Clemons. This pick may well come back to haunt me.

Round 7b
    Buddy Jackson CB Pitt 6’0 190”
    Jackson didn’t play much at Pitt other than as an explosive KR and as a nickel / dime package CB. He has explosive numbers courtesy of his pro day ( 4.26 & 4.29 forty and 11’9’” broad jump). This is a UDFA type player that may well attract attention from other teams. Lock him up at the back end of the draft to ensure that he at least gets to training camp. He is very raw but plenty of potential.

Round 7c Jerrell Harris LB Alabama 6’2 239”
    If you cant get Donta Hightower then why not get his understudy. Harris was kept off the field primarily by the quality of the LB crew at Bama. Has been in for a visit, and I am sure it was more than to get an opinion on Hightower. I don’t see the steelers going ILB in the first due to circumstance and also draft philosophy. Foote and Sylvester sit in line for Farriors spot.

Round 7d Austin Davis QB Sth Miss 6’2 216”
    This guy has erased most of Brett Favres records from the books at Southern Miss. Looking for a developmental QB and this guy seems like a gamer. It is either a QB or a Kicker. If it is a kicker then give me Carson Wiggs from Purdue.

Loads of potential UDFA's have already been screened in the interview process.
    Likely UDFA's would likely include:
    CB - Keith Tandy
    OG - Kelvin Beachum
    WR - Keyshawn Martin
    NT - John Hughes

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Last 5 potential draft choices visit Steelers

The player who could be the Steelers' No. 1 pick in the NFL draft -- Memphis nose tackle Dontari Poe -- is among five players visiting the team today.

It is the last day draft prospects can meet with NFL teams.

Also visiting the Steelers are tight end Adrien Robinson of Cincinnati, offensive lineman Kelvin Beachum of Southern Methodist and wide receivers Toney Clemons of Colorado and Gregory Childs of Arkansas. Clemons played at Valley High School.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...eelers-631929/

Ta'amu can go as early as #33 to the Rams imo. Why the drop?

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltreal View Post
    Ta'amu can go as early as #33 to the Rams imo. Why the drop?
    I can see at least 9 to 10 DT's going before Ta'amu.

3-4 NT's such as Poe, Worthy, Chapman, Thompson and Martin should go before him. And there are not that many 3-4 teams that need a NT as a major priority.

I know he is ranked #88 by NFLdraftscout but look at draft history. Pure NT's tend to slide after the first 3 to 4 high picks.

Personally I would love to see Chapman as the pick but i just dont see him lasting to the 3rd round. ( the Saban influence is going to really help him go early)

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post

3-4 NT's such as Poe, Worthy, Chapman, Thompson and Martin should go before him. And there are not that many 3-4 teams that need a NT as a major priority.

I know he is ranked #88 by NFLdraftscout but look at draft history. Pure NT's tend to slide after the first 3 to 4 high picks.

Personally I would love to see Chapman as the pick but i just dont see him lasting to the 3rd round. ( the Saban influence is going to really help him go early)
    Even if he were the #10 rated DT, thats still a 2nd round grade. Any DT in the 3rd round, Mike Martin, Chapman, or Ta'amu would be a no brainer over a player like Rainey.

Haley being the "Head CHief" in KC, rather than year 1 O.C. here should not influence Colberts draft. If he needs toys, look no farther than Sanders, Brown, and Wallace.

My guy Pauline has Ta'amu ranked as the #8 DT in the draft and a probable 2nd rounder. I dont see Martin, Thompson, Worthy as NT's, but rather 1-gap defenders in a 4-3. (I know that sparks debate, but just my opinion). I really am not sure why many had Ta'amu as a top 20 pick in september and now are saying that he is a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I dont think he makes it to the 3rd round.

Analysis: Ta'amu has been a tremendous force on the Washington defensive line the past three seasons. He offers a large amount of upside and is one of the better pure nose tackles in this year's draft. Ta'amu can be an instant starter and productive player at the next level if he elevates his game and consistently plays to his ability.

Projection: 2nd

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...#ixzz1savLTu63

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

1. OT Jonathan Martin, Stanford 6-5 312
    2. OG Brandon Brooks, Miami (OH) 6-5 346
    3. NT Mike Martin Michigan 6-1 300
    4. DE Derek Wolfe, Cincinnati 6-5 295
    5. LB Miles Burris San Diego State 6-2 240
    6 QB Kellen Moore Boise St
    7. TE Chase Ford, Miami 6-7 255
    7. ILB Shawn Loiseau, Merrimack 6-0 244
    7. FS Blake Gideon, Texas 6-0 208
    7. OT Joe Long, Wayne St 6-6 308

well there it is for me at this time i have been really busy the past few months, but i think i will revist this mock in a few days to see if it looks like i was dropped on my head or not.

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Black and Gold Lantern Array title="The Duke is just really nice"> The Duke's Avatar

1. Kevin Zeitler OG Wisconsin
    -in an ideal world, we would trade down and get some picks then draft him. But he could still be drafted here and fill a huge hole

2. Josh Chapman NT Alabama
    -The NT we have been missing. Again with a trade would get us in better position to snag him

3. Tank Carder ILB NC State/ Audie Cole ILB NC State
    -I'm kinda off the Hightower bus. Cole or Carder could certainly learn 1-2 years behind Foote

4. Lucas Nix OG Pittsburgh
    - Nix may not be needed with Zeitler in the mix, but we do need more than one OL, and can play tackle....

5. Greg Childs WR Arkansas
    -I just hope we don't take a receiver earlier than here. Wallace could be gone in 2013 and we need another burner

6. Aaron Henry FS Wisconsin
    - Nothing like position flexibility at corner and safety. Good balls skills and great in run support

7. Kevin Koger TE M.State/Brad Smelley TE Alabama
    --Could use another blocking TE

7. Carson Wiggs K Purdue/Derek Dimke K Ilinois
    -We NEED some competition for Sushi

7. Kellen Moore QB Boise
    -Someone will give him a chance, why not us?

7. Julian Miller OLB WVU
    -We can't have a draft without an OLB

I was winging it by the end with so many 7 round picks, but I would be very happy with the first four picks, and even the 5th

Really wanted to include Fangupo somewhere as he's my favorite NT in this draft. Still hope we get him...
    "We're a team. There's no offense. There's no defense. There's no special teams. We're one. We're a band of brothers." – Ben Roethlisberger

Swaggin' University Array title="ShutDown24 has a spectacular aura about"> ShutDown24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsdancefloor View Post
    1. OT Jonathan Martin, Stanford 6-5 312
    2. OG Brandon Brooks, Miami (OH) 6-5 346
    3. NT Mike Martin Michigan 6-1 300
    4. DE Derek Wolfe, Cincinnati 6-5 295
    5. LB Miles Burris San Diego State 6-2 240
    6 QB Kellen Moore Boise St
    7. TE Chase Ford, Miami 6-7 255
    7. ILB Shawn Loiseau, Merrimack 6-0 244
    7. FS Blake Gideon, Texas 6-0 208
    7. OT Joe Long, Wayne St 6-6 308

well there it is for me at this time i have been really busy the past few months, but i think i will revist this mock in a few days to see if it looks like i was dropped on my head or not.
    Like it a lot. I was targeting Martin for us at 24 in my latest as well but I ended up slotting him to the Browns. If we did take Martin & Brooks, I wouldn't want to hear another word about our damn offensive line for the next ten years

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    1. Kevin Zeitler OG Wisconsin
    -in an ideal world, we would trade down and get some picks then draft him. But he could still be drafted here and fill a huge hole

2. Josh Chapman NT Alabama
    -The NT we have been missing. Again with a trade would get us in better position to snag him

3. Tank Carder ILB NC State/ Audie Cole ILB NC State
    -I'm kinda off the Hightower bus. Cole or Carder could certainly learn 1-2 years behind Foote

4. Lucas Nix OG Pittsburgh
    - Nix may not be needed with Zeitler in the mix, but we do need more than one OL, and can play tackle....

5. Greg Childs WR Arkansas
    -I just hope we don't take a receiver earlier than here. Wallace could be gone in 2013 and we need another burner

6. Aaron Henry FS Wisconsin
    - Nothing like position flexibility at corner and safety. Good balls skills and great in run support

7. Kevin Koger TE M.State/Brad Smelley TE Alabama
    --Could use another blocking TE

7. Carson Wiggs K Purdue/Derek Dimke K Ilinois
    -We NEED some competition for Sushi

7. Kellen Moore QB Boise
    -Someone will give him a chance, why not us?

7. Julian Miller OLB WVU
    -We can't have a draft without an OLB

I was winging it by the end with so many 7 round picks, but I would be very happy with the first four picks, and even the 5th

Really wanted to include Fangupo somewhere as he's my favorite NT in this draft. Still hope we get him...
    Definitely feel like Zeitler is a bit of a reach, but you addressed that. I don't think we get Chapman without trading up in the second. But I like the selections overall. Definitely addresses needs with players who, besides Chapman (IMO), should be there in the rounds you allotted them. I like the Nix & Childs picks. I think Nix has the arrow pointing down right now so snagging him late in the fourth shouldn't be a problem.

I am going to make a prediction that Chapman will not be drafted until the 3rd round or later. Just a hunch here.

Not a bad result.

Took some heat on Ta'amu in the 4th. Lucky guess at the end of the day

In the end Im glad we got him 6th rounder not a bad price when we had 4 7's. Can I call you D.K.?

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltreal View Post
    In the end Im glad we got him 6th rounder not a bad price when we had 4 7's. Can I call you D.K.?
    Dont know if Donkey Kong really fits?

At work I quiet often get referred to by the monniker Dumb K*nt

I always respond to my wife with Dont Know

And my friends sometimes reckon I am a bit of a D**K

But if it makes you happy I will run with it

Not a bad result.

Took some heat on Ta'amu in the 4th. Lucky guess at the end of the day
    Yeah, good guess. I always had Ta'amu ranked higher than Chapman and was really surprised with the amount of teams that needed NT, they would last to the 4th. Am happy we traded up to get him in the 4th though.

Great draft!! even if we didnt get my guy James Micahel Johnson in the 3rd. He went to the Clowns in the 4th.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Yeah, good guess. I always had Ta'amu ranked higher than Chapman and was really surprised with the amount of teams that needed NT, they would last to the 4th. Am happy we traded up to get him in the 4th though.

Great draft!! even if we didnt get my guy James Micahel Johnson in the 3rd. He went to the Clowns in the 4th.
    I figured we might get him in the 3rd, but not the 4th, even trading up. I was disappointed we didn't take Johnson as well, we sure had enough chances.

AML