Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 - feeding the addiction

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Re: 2012 - feeding the addiction

Sucks about Datko. In the two games I watched, he looked like a strong prospect. And he was apparently playing through the shoulder injury all season before it became too much and they shut him down.

Quickly falling in love with Keith Zeitler of Wisconsin. He could be the RG that solves our woes at that spot.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    I have mentioned Bergstrom of Utah also. He may raise up the charts a bit...he is very intelligent and didnt allow a sack at all last season.
    Could easily sneak into the 3rd round, right where we seen to like picking our OTs.

AML

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    Sucks about Datko. In the two games I watched, he looked like a strong prospect. And he was apparently playing through the shoulder injury all season before it became too much and they shut him down.

Quickly falling in love with Keith Zeitler of Wisconsin. He could be the RG that solves our woes at that spot.
    Wisconsin seems to put out some pretty good OGs, and Zietler is looking pretty good. We have to do something about Kemo though. $10 talent and a 2 cent head, and doesn't seem to be getting any smarter.

AML

e

The season will be half over soon and I am starting to have some definite feeling toward the upcoming draft. So here is may first mock thinking that we will be drafting in the later 20s.

1. Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan St. 6'3", 310 lbs, 5.04/40. If this Jr. declares this year, and I think he will, he would have a couple of potential NTs ahead of him and could land later in the 1st round. Worthy is an active DT with a bit of an attitude. He is strong and normally will give you a few TFL. He can anchor the center of the line often drawing a double team. He can also get to the QB and I thing lead the Spartans is sacks last year.
    YEAR TEAM TOT SOLO AST PD SACK FF INT YDS TD
    2011 16 10 6 0 3.0 0 0 0 0
    2010 40 14 26 0 4.0 0 0 0 0
    2009 37 19 18 0 4.0 0 0 0 0

I also considered Dontari Poe DT for Memphis, and Cordy Glenn OG for Georgia.

2nd. Kevin Zeitler, OG, Wisconsin. 6'4", 320 lbs, 5.2/40. Could be the best O-lineman for a team that has sent some pretty good OGs to the pros. Works well in the closed areas but has good enough footwork to play a little OT in a pinch. Would likely move right in at RG, and could even replace Kemo, which is my dream.

Also considered Lucas Nix OG for Pitt, and Josh Chapman DT for Alabama.

3rd. Tony Bergstrom, OT, Utah. 6'4", 320 lbs, 5.25/40. Tony is not figured this high right now but I think by the end of the year he will be. Decent foot work, with the strength to seal of the right side. If Gilbert does more to LT would move into the RT spot in a year or so.

Also considered Nate Potter OT for Boise St, and James-Michael Johnson ILB for Nevada.

4th. Tyler Nielson, LB, Iowa. 6'3", 235 lbs, 4.54/40. Plays OLB for the Hawks, but I think will move inside for us. Played ILB in Iowa last game and did a great job. If you like Angerer with the Colts, I think he will be better.

5th. Nick Foles, QB, Arizona. 6'4", 240 lbs, 4.90/40. Sorry guys but its time to do something here. I know he may not be here at this point, but I think would be a perfect 2QB for us.

6th. Christian Thompson, FS, South Carolina St. 6'1" 218 lbs, 4.45. Good size and speed at this point of the draft.

7th. Broderick Binns, DE, Iowa. 6'1", 261 lbs, 4.77/40. Its a crap shoot here, so I am going to throw out another Iowa boy. I think he could play OLB for us. He does have a nak of getting to the QB, and has pretty good hands, good run defense. Got an INT at the line against Arizona last year.
    Last edited by Texasteel; 10-27-2011 at 11:42 AM. Reason: typed by a dummy

AML

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

340 pound QB? Run him up the middle!

Assuming its a typo and he is 240.

Quote Originally Posted by steeldevil View Post
    340 pound QB? Run him up the middle!

Assuming its a typo and he is 240.

Thanks bud, its a mistake. Now I'll just go to my room and cry for a while.

AML

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

Like the mock Tex. I like Foles and I can see him continue to climb up the rankings. He could well make it into the back end of Round 3.

I think Arians gets the pick in round 1, so I would be a little surprised to see a D pick in round 1.

In your opinion does Tyler Neilsen have the smarts to QB the defence as Farriors replacement. I dont see Timmons picking up that role so the next ILB has to be an instictive leader.

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

I think the D-lines age, is starting to show itself as a bit of a problem. Smith IMO is gone, and what if Kiesel go's down again. The middle of the line is particularly troubling. I think this may be the year that we can do something about the middle of the line. Thompson and Ta'amu IMO would both go before Worthy, and Still is already moving up the charts. We might be able to get a mid 1st round pick later in the round potentially solidify the center of our D-line. I think Arians gets the next 2 picks and used wisely could do the same for our O-line.

Nielson is was named to the Academic All Big Ten as a fresh, soph, and jr. and I see no reason he would not make it 4 years. As a Jr. he was named to the ESPN/CoSIDA District Seven Academic All American team. He was also named to the 2008, 2009, and 2010 Leadership Group. If he can't handle the job it would not be because of his intelligence.

AML

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post

Nielson is was named to the Academic All Big Ten as a fresh, soph, and jr. and I see no reason he would not make it 4 years. As a Jr. he was named to the ESPN/CoSIDA District Seven Academic All American team. He was also named to the 2008, 2009, and 2010 Leadership Group. If he can't handle the job it would not be because of his intelligence.
    That sounds like a resounding YES Tex.

If we cant land someone like Donta Hightower then Nielson sounds like a good options

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
    That sounds like a resounding YES Tex.

If we cant land someone like Donta Hightower then Nielson sounds like a good options

Believe me buddy, Hightower would still be my favorite pick if we can fill the other needs after the 1st, which is not out of the realm or possibility. I think DT Chapman could be had in the 2nd round, and after the 1st 3 OGs, and the 1st 5 or 6 OTs its who ever a team falls in love with. One OT I didn't mention is your guy from BYU, I think he could be a monster at RT, and his age doesn't bother me at all.

AML

Believe me buddy, Hightower would still be my favorite pick if we can fill the other needs after the 1st, which is not out of the realm or possibility. I think DT Chapman could be had in the 2nd round, and after the 1st 3 OGs, and the 1st 5 or 6 OTs its who ever a team falls in love with. One OT I didn't mention is your guy from BYU, I think he could be a monster at RT, and his age doesn't bother me at all.
    I keep getting the feeling that the roster is set at OT. With Starks back, Colons big contract and Gilbert drafted & playing I dont see OT as a priority for this draft.

Dont get me wrong, I think we need another one, but I feel that Colbert isnt going to load up at OT. I can see him loading up at OG.

Reynolds is a bit short and light to fit the steelers OT model. At 6'4 315 I think he fits their guard profile.

I really don't think we can count of Colon any more, contract or not contract. We have already been OT starve this year.

Reynolds may be a little shorter than normal but I don't think he is too light, there are several OT prospects in the draft 315 or lighter. Whether he would make a better OG, that is totally possible and something that we will have to keep in mind when we are looking at OGs this year.

AML

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Enjoyed a little time for myself watching De Castro play in the Stanford USC game last night. He is the real deal and if he can add another 10 lbs in the weight room, he will be even better.

The guy that jumped out at me on the O line though was Jonathan Martin. Tall, agile and athletic pass protector, but gets good pad level and hip roll in the run game. I know he is a junior, but if he comes out he is gonna go in the 1st round this year.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Enjoyed a little time for myself watching De Castro play in the Stanford USC game last night. He is the real deal and if he can add another 10 lbs in the weight room, he will be even better.

The guy that jumped out at me on the O line though was Jonathan Martin. Tall, agile and athletic pass protector, but gets good pad level and hip roll in the run game. I know he is a junior, but if he comes out he is gonna go in the 1st round this year.
    It was a O line feast yesterday. I too believe De Castro is the real deal. He also seems to have a bit of mean blocking streak. Loved him pulling to the left and blowing up the linebackers.

Wasnt a bad game either.

Havent mocked for a while. I think I will go heavy in this one.

1. (pick 25 or later) Peter Konz OG / OC Wisconsin ( De Castro is gone - I think Konz would make a great OG and a very good backup OC)
    2. (pick 57 or later) Mark Barron SS Alabama ( cant miss safety who is too good to pass up here)
    3. (pick 89 or later) Andrew Datko OT Florida State ( another big bodied OT wouldnt go astray)
    4. (pick 123 or later) Nick Foles QB Arizona ( quality back up QB that has a ton of upside)
    5. (pick 158 or later) Tyler Neilson ILB Iowa ( quality LB with leadership skills - Farriors replacement down the road)
    6. (pick 192 or later) Frank Alexander OLB Oklahoma ( cant ever have enough OLB's in Pittsburgh)
    7. (pick 220 or later) Tony Jerod Eddie DE Texas A&M ( big bodied DE)
    7. (pick 230 or later) Hebron Fangupu DT BYU ( former USC D lineman who can play anywhere on the 3-4 D line)

Good eye Aussie.

Konz reminds me of Wood that so many of us wanted just a few years ago. Problem? If Konz does come our this year he will be the top center in the draft, and we all remember what happened to Wood. We may not get a shot at him.

Barron has the size and speed I like in a SS, and to be honest, Troy isn't getting any younger. As sure of a thing as you will find in the 2nd round. Problem? Same as Konz, I can see this kid going into the combines and lighting the place up.

Datkos shoulder surgery has me scared a little. He was my top Steelers OT prospect in the 1st round, but I am hearing that the surgery may not have been very
    successful.

You know I am a fan of Foles, Nielson, and Eddie. Will be interested in what comp. pick we get this year.

Good Job buddy.

AML

Black and Gold Lantern Array title="The Duke is just really nice"> The Duke's Avatar

Im glad you're noticing Foles. I've been really into him, Keenum and Kellen Moore this year as possible Ben backups. Though I still think Moore is kinda small, but his play is excellent

Foles on the other hand seems like another big, yet slower, Ben. Erratic but gets it done

Would be hard to get him in the 4th if he continues playing like he has this year
    "We're a team. There's no offense. There's no defense. There's no special teams. We're one. We're a band of brothers." – Ben Roethlisberger

Michigan - Iowa game is on ESPN at noon / I want to watch Worthy of Mich. and Nielson of Iowa.

Wisconsin - Purdue is on ABC at 3:30 / I want to see both Konz and Zietler of Wisc.

It I get time to turn into the LSU - Alabama game / would like to watch Barron of Alabama.

AML

Senior Member Array title="7willBheaven is on a distinguished road"> 7willBheaven's Avatar

Besides posting updates from various mocks (which i havent done in a while) I dont usually follow this too heavily until the end of the season (esp the college season)...as players rise and fall and all that stuff waaaay too much during the season it seems. Obviously I'm not sure what order or whatever the Steelers should draft certain positions...but since I'm bored right now I'll give a few thoughts on the positions/etc I think at this point the Steelers should look into (in no particular order)...

OG - At this point I'm thinking a higher pick on an OG would be good. Kemo is so up and down it seems...I wouldnt mind getting a solid LG and maybe moving Kemo to RG (though Foster has done fairly well), shoot maybe cut Kemo who knows.
    NT/DT - Hoke and McLendon both have played decently this year. I think it'd be nice to get another young guy in there for Casey to work with before he's done. Maybe a mid to higher round pick here.

S - While I do not hate Will Allen like some people do...Mundy obviously is ahead of him on the depth chart now (and Mundy's play has been solid)...i think now is the time to spend maybe a mid rounder (someone who could become a starter) on the S position. I think Mundy could easily start (as he's shown already)...but I do not see Will Allen as a starter at this point.

QB - This year they HAVE to spend a mid round pick on a solid (non injury prone) backup QB. Lefty being hurt the last 2 years and IR'd...Batch seems to get hurt easily at times...and Dixon...well I think that experiment is over (as much as I was pulling the for the guy). If nobody gets hurt next preseason I would like to see it be Ben, one of the vet QBs and the rookie.

TE - While David Johnson has improved a lot...i think he is still below what Spaeth was. Saunders is still unproven at this point. If Heath was to go down...they dont have someone who is close to his level to fill in...so i wouldnt be against a mid round pick here either.

LB - I do not see this as big of a need as some do...but i still think it is a need. At ILB you have Timmons set...and Foote/Farrior are up there in age (while they havent been playing terrible)...all they have behind that is Sly and Ivy. While I think one of them could become a starter...its hard to say at this point...so maybe a mid to higher round pick could be used at ILB.

Some will say we need an OT...while i wouldnt be against a late rounder...if they re-sign Max after the year to a couple year deal...i think they could be set. I wouldnt be against having Gilbert at LT and Max at RT...and Colon who knows...we'd all like him at OG but who knows if they will happen. If Max isnt brought back...then I wouldnt mind a mid round pick instead of a late round pick.

Other than that...the last pick could be used where ever...maybe another CB...I dunno. Thats just my rambling thoughts for the moment.

Michigan - Iowa game is on ESPN at noon / I want to watch Worthy of Mich. and Nielson of Iowa.

Wisconsin - Purdue is on ABC at 3:30 / I want to see both Konz and Zietler of Wisc.

It I get time to turn into the LSU - Alabama game / would like to watch Barron of Alabama.
    Nielson looked very good at MLB. Was in on several tackles at the line of scrimmage, and dropped into pass protection and did a good job unless he had to cover for about 10 or more sec. Pretty much controlled his area. DE Binns looked good. He was very active and showed the athletics needed to play OLB. Got to the runner more times than not, and knocked the pass down at the line 2 or 3 times.

Don't know what I was thinking, Worthy plays for Michigan St. I didn't get a chance to watch that game.

The middle of Wisc. O-line was incredible. Konz is ready for the pros and could start on several lines tomorrow. Move him to OG, or keep him at OC and move Pounsey to OG, either idea kinda gets me worked up. Zietler continually pushed his man completely out of the middle opening holes even I could limp through, I am getting to love this kid. In my mind a very real 2nd round option. Between Konz and Zietler there was no pass rush coming up the middle. Also found myself watching OT Ricky Wagner. Don't know if Konz and Wagner will enter the draft or not, but definitely these are 3 to watch.

AML

I too am onboard as a Konz / Zeitler fan tex.

Only saw the back end of the Iowa game and Neilsen looked solid on the plays I saw ( when it was mostly passing situations). Jerod-eddie ( DT / DE) looked like the 6th or 7th round prospect he is listed as.

The bama / LSU game really showcased some extreme talent on D for both sides. Hightower or Upshaw would be awesome in the middle. Kirkpatrick and Clairborne were great in cover at CB. Mathieu has a pea for a brain and looks like a Baltimore type player. Barron and Lester would both be great options at safety. Currently I am leaning towards Barron as being cover being Troy.

This game was loaded with NFL talent and dont be surprised to see a whole lot of these guys drafted in the first two rounds come draft time.

Trent Richardson will be a top ten pick.

Watched Cordy Glenn yesterday, and I was impressed. I think he is playing out of position at LT, but is quick enough and has good enough footwork to pull as a OG and get to the second level. I think you put him between Pouncey, and Gilbert we would be able to run on that side all day. I know this is not an option, but I would love to see Glenn on the left side and Zeitler move into the RG position.

While I was watching the game I watched Mosley, RT for Auburn. I did not like him at all. Looked slow and clumsy to me. Got beat off the line by the defender a few times, and actually saw him cross one foot over the other in pass protection, his kick slide was that bad. He is suppose to be a 3rd round pick,,,,,,,, I wouldn't take him in the 6th.

AML

Watched Wisconsin, Michigan, and Yale yesterday.

Wisconsin. I watched the O-line as usual and saw nothing to damper my inthusiasum for Konz, or Zietler. Konz is a machine inside, and Zietler controlled his his man moving him almost at will. Zeilter pulled at lest 3 times, blasting the LB two steps before the RB got to the hole. I would love Zeitler in the 2nd round.

Michigan. I wanted to watch Mike Martin DT. Mike has play NT for the Wolverines in 2009, and 2010 and did a very nice job, being voted as their best D-lineman in 2009. Since Michigan has switched to the 4 man front this year the defense has done a much better job making me wonder if Martin would do better in a 4-3 defense. Right now Martin is considered a 4th round pick.

Yale. I was lucky finding their game against Harvard. Yale's QB Patrick Witt did not have a particularly good game but did show a stronger arm than I thought he had. Witt has shown very nice touch, accuracy, and intelligence in the past. Even though Yale got blown out this game I still saw Pro quality to Witt's game. Likely would be a career back up, which is what we need right now. I believe Witt is considered a 6th or 7th round pick.

AML

Thanks TEX - didnt catch those games.

I got to catch the Oklahoma State vs Iowa state game.

Justin Blackmon is going to be a ball catching machine. he can catch anything. However he was held pretty well by Iowa State CB Leonard Johnson ( 5'10 202") who will definitely draw interest in the 3rd & 4th rounds. This was the matchup of the game

OSU QB Brandon Weedon is a good game manager, but at 28yrs he will be a very challenging prospect. Freshman QB Jared Barnett stepped up big for Iowa state in his first big game. Keep an eye on him over the next few years.

I was keen to watch OSU FS Markelle Martin. As a 2nd round prospect he was an intriguing prospect. Unfortunately for OSU, who play a 2 Free safety system, they lost 2 FS's to injury so a 3rd string safety was playing beside Martin. This allowed Iowa State to consistently target the other side. Martin bit a few times and got beat bad.

OSU OT Levi Adcock was very solid. Not the flashiest guy who stands out but he was fundamentally good. On the other O line OT Kelechi Osemele looked equally as impressive. Osmele is significantly thicker than Adcock and he played with a meaner streak. Two good players who would be OK with me if taken at the right value

By the way - it was a cracker of a game with Iowa State stepping up big time.
    Last edited by Aussie_steeler; 11-21-2011 at 03:46 AM. Reason: typo

Thank You Aussie

I think Osmele is considered the 3rd best OG prospect this year and an early to mid 2nd rounder. Huge man isn't he, could look nice next to Pouncey.

I liked Adcock early and think he could hold down the RT spot for a long time, but still think there will be a OT available in the late 3rd that could be just as good.

I'm wanting to take a look at OTs DJ Fluker of Alabama, and Bobby Massie out of Mississippi, as I am starting to hear that their could be entering this years draft.

AML

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

May have just found my sleeper NT prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    May have just found my sleeper NT prospect.

And that NT would be????????????

AML

I know who mine is.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2012&genpos=DT

I cant find a candidate from the recent bowl games. What are your guesses TEX?
    Last edited by Aussie_steeler; 12-21-2011 at 07:08 PM. Reason: remove the name / remove the jinx

According to the rules of this board, he becomes an automatic first rounder, right?

Kid from Compton, avoided the gangs, made something out of himself. Was with Washington for a brief time and got looks from places like USC and Cal but couldn't meet academic reqiurements. Led Kingsville to having a top rush defense two years ago and top 15 this year. Hard to find a lot of game footage but in what I did, he's quicker hands than you'd think and obviously guy that will command double teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
    I know who mine is.

Hebron Fangupo

I cant find a candidate from the recent bowl games. What are your guesses TEX?
    Good call Aussie. Will have to look fro him in the Cougar's bowl game.