Thread: Steelers' defense too old? Tomlin says keep talking

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Steelers' defense too old? Tomlin says keep talking

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin likes hearing people say that his defense is too old. He doesn’t think it’s true.

"I know their age has been something noteworthy, something to be talked about," Tomlin told reporters Tuesday. "But when I look at them, I don’t look at them and see age. I don’t look at them and see dollar signs. I look at guys that put their head in the pile, and are committed to doing the job to the standards that we hold them to.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin likes hearing people say that his defense is too old. He doesn’t think it’s true. "I know their age has been something noteworthy, something to be talked about," Tomlin said. (AP Photo)"We feel very comfortable, not only with our first wave defensively, but with some of the young interesting guys that back them up. We are who we are. We’re not fighting any stereotypes and darts being thrown our way. We welcome them. Usually they provide a positive energy for us. So keep talking about how old they are. I appreciate that. You make my job easy."

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...#ixzz1XDC8wmp4

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Re: Steelers' defense too old? Tomlin says keep talking

Ben = MVP. Tomlin = Coach of the Year. You heard (read) it here first.

HERE WE GO Array title="Randy06 is an unknown quantity at this point"> Randy06's Avatar

I just love the way Tomlin talks.
    "We're going to win the whole fucking thing" - Greg Lloyd

Senior Member Array title="beSteelmyheart is on a distinguished road"> beSteelmyheart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Ben = MVP. Tomlin = Coach of the Year. You heard (read) it here first.
    If you can find a way to eliminate all of the Bellicheat slobknobberers, then he'll have a chance.
    "Preparation makes you lucky" Chuck Noll

Senior Member Array title="Austin87 is an unknown quantity at this point"> Austin87's Avatar

I just love it when people call our defense "old"...and every year the defense proves them wrong.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

It's funny. Living here amongst the Browns fans, they were SO convinced that the Steelers were done last year. I can't tell you how many times I heard/read "The Steelers are a team on the decline". Age is almost always included in the reasons why. Here's why it's a non-starter.

DL- There has been an infusion of youth. If we add a NT, we have 3 guys all in their early 20's.
    LB- Woodley and Timmons are still young. Obviously we are still grrooming their replacements. How many times have we seen guys that we didn't really know much about step-in and surprise? I'm sure we'll be fine here as well.
    DB's- This one is tougher, but we have Ike locked up, and we keep adding young guys back there. Somebody is eventually going to step up.

I'm not really worried about it at all. This defense, with maybe the exceptions of Farrior and Smith, is good for two more years at least.
    Fire Goodell