Thread: Steelers Make Correct Calls on 53-Man Roster, But Maybe Not the Practice Squad

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Steelers Make Correct Calls on 53-Man Roster, But Maybe Not the Practice Squad

As usual, the Steelers’ front office and coaching staff had to make some tough decisions on the team’s final roster cuts. And as the brain trust of the best franchise in the NFL normally does, they made the right ones. I am not just proclaiming this because I correctly picked 52 out of the 53 players who made the team’s roster, having missed on Tony Hills getting released which pretty much no one projected after the preseason.

Instead, the Steelers kept the exact 53 who I was hoping they would keep after Thursday’s preseason finale against the Panthers. The only change I would have made was to not play rookie cornerback Cortez Allen (a long-term project from the Citadel who sat out the first three preseason games with a slight hamstring injury) against Carolina, store him on the injured-reserve list for a year, and thus keep Crezdon Butler as the team’s sixth cornerback on the 53-man active roster.................

read more @ http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/0...ractice-squad/

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Re: Steelers Make Correct Calls on 53-Man Roster, But Maybe Not the Practice Squad

Putting Allen on IR can't be that simple. The team still has to show that he has a serious injury that will keep him out for an extended period of time. If he was healthy by the last game, which he was or close to since he played, the league likely would've rejected any attempt.

Senior Member Array title="Austin87 is an unknown quantity at this point"> Austin87's Avatar

Re: Steelers Make Correct Calls on 53-Man Roster, But Maybe Not the Practice Squad

Very good article.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Great day, three sets of twins. Man oh man that has to be a handful. My wife would kill me after the second set. lol

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

Those damn Cardinals, I wonder if they are targeting Limas Sweed and Tony Hills next.

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltreal View Post
    Those damn Cardinals, I wonder if they are targeting Limas Sweed and Tony Hills next.
    Tony Hills already signed with the Broncos.

Senior Member Array title="Austin87 is an unknown quantity at this point"> Austin87's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAsteeler View Post
    Tony Hills already signed with the Broncos.
    I'm glad he got a team. For the first time since we drafted this guy, he actually showed up ready to play. Tony Hills had a pretty good preseason.