Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Paper "debunking" global warming discredited; editor-in-chief resigns.

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

Re: Paper "debunking" global warming discredited; editor-in-chief resigns.

I'm not in the "earth not getting warmer camp" I'm in the "it goes in cycles camp" there were five straight decades during the middle of the 20th century that the temps went DOWN...right in the middle of the industrial revolution.

WE are not the cause of it...it goes up, it goes down. What WE do is not the cause

The Oncoming Storm Array title="Vis will become famous soon enough"> Vis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The WH View Post
    In Sweden it's actually getting colder....
    If you are using Sweden as 1 data point for a planetary trend to disprove the trend please see my comment to pepsy.

The Oncoming Storm Array title="Vis will become famous soon enough"> Vis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pepsyman1 View Post
    I'm not in the "earth not getting warmer camp" I'm in the "it goes in cycles camp" there were five straight decades during the middle of the 20th century that the temps went DOWN...right in the middle of the industrial revolution.

WE are not the cause of it...it goes up, it goes down. What WE do is not the cause
    Look at the graphs again

Pepsy, do you have any idea about what forces causes the natural cycles in past millennia and what forces man has added to the equation or are you quoting something you just read?

Here are the models with and without man's contribution:

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

Also...look at the graphs YOU are inserting....notice that the temperature rise starts back at 1860? Were we driving too many SUV's back then??? Notice it goes down from 1940-1980?...the HEIGHT of the industrial revolution.

And lastly, notice the scale on the left of your graphs. It's in TENTHS of a degree. The world has gone up about ONE degree celsius in the last 100 years...that is not statistically significant when you look at the last 10000 years. It's a cycle, one of many that continues with or with us.

Vis...ALL of your graphs show the same thing....ONE degree in the last 100 years...not statistically relevant if you look back at earth's history.

Vis ...the last chart you gave us came from an organization that had it's leader shown to be manipulating data....in case you missed that news story

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2009/...ls-copenhagen/

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Hey vis, I'm the one saying carbon credits are a load of shit, and nothing but a get rich quick scheme.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Also...look at the graphs YOU are inserting....notice that the temperature rise starts back at 1860? Were we driving too many SUV's back then??? Notice it goes down from 1940-1980?...the HEIGHT of the industrial revolution.

And lastly, notice the scale on the left of your graphs. It's in TENTHS of a degree. The world has gone up about ONE degree celsius in the last 100 years...that is not statistically significant when you look at the last 10000 years. It's a cycle, one of many that continues with or with us.

Vis...ALL of your graphs show the same thing....ONE degree in the last 100 years...not statistically relevant if you look back at earth's history.
    You're kidding about the SUV's aren't you?

Carbon dioxide isn't the only factor. Sulfer dioxide forces the other directions (very bad for other reasons). So volcanic eruptions can cool the earth. the same is true for increased aerosol pollution. The models take these into account and the models work very well if you look at post #33

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Hey vis, I'm the one saying carbon credits are a load of shit, and nothing but a get rich quick scheme.
    For every organization I listed above?

Need to head out. Hit me with how we get cooling again if out population won't ever allow reforestation. Maybe we'll get another black death. that cooled things off. It does little for the argument that humans don't matter though.

Of, course, the planet will be fine either way. We aren't hurting the earth, just the life forms on it. When resources get scarse enough we will get massive population reductions one way or another.

Ice core temperature estimates for the last 800,000 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:EP...ature_plot.svg

it goes in cycles....We are not the cause.

And Vis...those models you keep referring too were MANIPULATED...the models don't match the actual data they collected. (which they kept hidden) Use another source other than the IPCC... once you manipulate scientific data to show the result you want, NO ONE is going to depend on it anymore.

But I will give you the deforestation problem...THAT one I will agree with. That is part of the planets system and we have removed much of it.

Ice core temperature estimates for the last 800,000 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:EP...ature_plot.svg

it goes in cycles....We are not the cause.
    The cycle would have us cooling now and we have changed the surface of the planet to an extent that the cycles can't continue unless we go away.

Global Warming And The Climate

B
    ut there is much confusion over causality. I don't know, but I'd be more willing to bet that if the Sun has heated up, and is now entering a calming phase, that the earth is about to do the same thing.

Of course, just because Mars is going through it as well, doesn't mean that it's related to the sun. Of course not. Mars's global warming is 1. regional global warming according to some scientists (?) 2. a result of the wobbling of the planet (but ours does too, though at a different rate). 3. Massive dust storms on Mars (You mean, like Australia's Red Dust Storm in 09, the worst in 70 years, The Phoenix dust storm of 2011, The 1 kilometer high Negev Desert dust storm moving at 70 km's an hour, the multiple dust storms happening over Kansas, Anothe rmassive one in Mali caused by the Hamattan gale from teh Sahara desert. The Sudanese dust storm that looks to be at least a mile high and stretches forever, let's not forget the dust storm in Niger, nor the one in ICELAND (yeah, Iceland, believe it or not, and I can go on and on. Heck, Fuji had a dust storm that came together AT SEA and came inland ???) ). 3. Cosmic dust storms which affect Mars (but not, for some reason the earth??) Or the last one, which really cracks me up, "It's not happening because it contradicts the IPCC." Wait, what? Dang. You mean it can't be true because scientists have already determined it's not true and therefore will interpret all the information concerning the issue into their already preconceived models? Well, why not, that's exactly what I've been arguing biologists do with evolution. Might as well follow your brother and sisters in the circular logic game.

Oh, did I forget to mention that PLUTO is going through a warming phase as well. Maybe even a couple other planets?

Thank you Preach....good stuff. The tiny bit of time that we have been on the planet hasn't made any appreciable difference when you look at any of the LONG term graphs. We are following the same trends that have been happening for millions of years...and Solar System considerations are just now being considered in the big equation.

Hey Vis...also notice on the long term Ice core chart that the range of temperature is from 12 to 16 degrees difference....right now we are arguing over a trend that covers ONE degree globally...ONE.

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Thank you Preach....good stuff. The tiny bit of time that we have been on the planet hasn't made any appreciable difference when you look at any of the LONG term graphs. We are following the same trends that have been happening for millions of years...and Solar System considerations are just now being considered in the big equation.

Hey Vis...also notice on the long term Ice core chart that the range of temperature is from 12 to 16 degrees difference....right now we are arguing over a trend that covers ONE degree globally...ONE.
    Don't let the facts get in the way the so-called scientists didn't.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Global Warming And The Climate

B
    ut there is much confusion over causality. I don't know, but I'd be more willing to bet that if the Sun has heated up, and is now entering a calming phase, that the earth is about to do the same thing.

Of course, just because Mars is going through it as well, doesn't mean that it's related to the sun. Of course not. Mars's global warming is 1. regional global warming according to some scientists (?) 2. a result of the wobbling of the planet (but ours does too, though at a different rate). 3. Massive dust storms on Mars (You mean, like Australia's Red Dust Storm in 09, the worst in 70 years, The Phoenix dust storm of 2011, The 1 kilometer high Negev Desert dust storm moving at 70 km's an hour, the multiple dust storms happening over Kansas, Anothe rmassive one in Mali caused by the Hamattan gale from teh Sahara desert. The Sudanese dust storm that looks to be at least a mile high and stretches forever, let's not forget the dust storm in Niger, nor the one in ICELAND (yeah, Iceland, believe it or not, and I can go on and on. Heck, Fuji had a dust storm that came together AT SEA and came inland ???) ). 3. Cosmic dust storms which affect Mars (but not, for some reason the earth??) Or the last one, which really cracks me up, "It's not happening because it contradicts the IPCC." Wait, what? Dang. You mean it can't be true because scientists have already determined it's not true and therefore will interpret all the information concerning the issue into their already preconceived models? Well, why not, that's exactly what I've been arguing biologists do with evolution. Might as well follow your brother and sisters in the circular logic game.

Oh, did I forget to mention that PLUTO is going through a warming phase as well. Maybe even a couple other planets?
    Why would scientists from all over the world study these things their whole lives only to conspire to give us all bad info. Do really think biologists would all get together and say lets make this evolution thing work? If someone could disprove climate change or evolution they would have done it by now, they would be awarded by the nobel prize. Its crazy to think scientists from all disciplines would be involved in some global conspiracy to give us the wrong information, im sorry but i have to side with the people who spend their lives studying these things rather than the people from fox news.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by steeldawg View Post
    Why would scientists from all over the world study these things their whole lives only to conspire to give us all bad info. Do really think biologists would all get together and say lets make this evolution thing work? If someone could disprove climate change or evolution they would have done it by now, they would be awarded by the nobel prize. Its crazy to think scientists from all disciplines would be involved in some global conspiracy to give us the wrong information, im sorry but i have to side with the people who spend their lives studying these things rather than the people from fox news.
    You mean the same people that rely on govt grants and outside funds to pay for their research? Nah, they wouldn't be influenced at all by the millions of dollars hanging over their head for future research. Nope not influenced at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    You mean the same people that rely on govt grants and outside funds to pay for their research? Nah, they wouldn't be influenced at all by the millions of dollars hanging over their head for future research. Nope not influenced at all.
    do you think we are the only country that studies climate change or evolution.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Never. The current Nobel org. could never bring themselves to do that.

There are plenty of scientists that don't agree with the conclusions that the "global warming" community have put forth. Many of the scientists that are in that community get more funding from their governments to study the "problem". (how often do we see government organizations concentrate on their funding above all else?) I don't discount the fact that the earth is warmer now than it was 100 years ago....BUT I hate the sheer panic that they tried to instill in everyone using arctic ice maps that only go back to 1979 and make it sound like were are going through something that has never happened before is what pisses me off. Global ice has actually gotten larger the last 3 years and the antarctic has been growing for a decade. Global temps appear to have peaked on the current cycle as much as 8 years ago (there has been a very slight decrease since 2000) Of course again, 10 years is much too short a cycle for any long term proclamations one way or another. My point is that these long term cycles have been going on for millions of years and appear to peak every 100,000 years or so. Our effect on that cycle is pretty negligent

World Champion Array title="Just George is on a distinguished road"> Just George's Avatar

go read the thread should evolutionist be allowed to vote (something like that). I am not going to go over all that info again here but evolutionist do NOT have a working proved theory yet on how life began. so until it is proved it can't be disproved. People just assume that science has already worked out all that stuff.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    [URL="http://www.global-warming-and-the-climate.com/"]Global Warming And The Climate

B[

Oh, did I forget to mention that PLUTO is going through a warming phase as well.
    But yeah we all know those damn Plutonians ard their penchant for SUV's!

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

I think the oil, coal, etc... industries have met their match when it comes to these cleaner energy sources because of the idea of global warming and middle east oil dependency's one-two punch... "big oil's" time is gradually running out...

There are plenty of scientists that don't agree with the conclusions that the "global warming" community have put forth. Many of the scientists that are in that community get more funding from their governments to study the "problem". (how often do we see government organizations concentrate on their funding above all else?) I don't discount the fact that the earth is warmer now than it was 100 years ago....BUT I hate the sheer panic that they tried to instill in everyone using arctic ice maps that only go back to 1979 and make it sound like were are going through something that has never happened before is what pisses me off. Global ice has actually gotten larger the last 3 years and the antarctic has been growing for a decade. Global temps appear to have peaked on the current cycle as much as 8 years ago (there has been a very slight decrease since 2000) Of course again, 10 years is much too short a cycle for any long term proclamations one way or another. My point is that these long term cycles have been going on for millions of years and appear to peak every 100,000 years or so. Our effect on that cycle is pretty negligent
    Oh yes pepsy i agree that global warming still has questions as to its cause, but ifind it hard to believe that scientists from different parts of the world with same conclusions would be involved in some conspiracry to make al gore rich. Countries all over are already looking for alternative and cleaner forms of energy, many countries are going green is it because the data shows something or is it just a conspiracy. I am willing to listen to the arguement that they might not everything on climate change correct, but im not ready to sit here and say man made climate change is a complete lie and all these scientist are lying to the world.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

But yeah we all know those damn Plutonians ard their penchant for SUV's!
    Don't forget those damn Martians and their gas-guzzling, anti-gravity SUVs!

do you think we are the only country that studies climate change or evolution.
    Grants just don't come from the US man. They come from the global community in regards to research. The same players are in all aspects of our world. Just look at who is on the CFR, and other global organizations. There is profit to be made from climate change, and don't be so naive to believe that the world players aren't willing to cash in on it.

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    Grants just don't come from the US man. They come from the global community in regards to research. The same players are in all aspects of our world. Just look at who is on the CFR, and other global organizations. There is profit to be made from climate change, and don't be so naive to believe that the world players aren't willing to cash in on it.
    If you don't sing the right tune you end up losing your funding.

Quote Originally Posted by Just George View Post
    go read the thread should evolutionist be allowed to vote (something like that). I am not going to go over all that info again here but evolutionist do NOT have a working proved theory yet on how life began. so until it is proved it can't be disproved. People just assume that science has already worked out all that stuff.
    what is a proved theory? are you really saying evolution is not a working theory? Im not having this argument and hijacking this thread, but evolution is a fact, its tested and well documented by biologists and other scienctific fields today the only argument is how it occured when life began. Yes it is true we cannot wipeout the world and start over to document how it happened, but we can test what we know as scientific fact today and put together one hell of a powerful scientific theory for the origin of life.

If you don't sing the right tune you end up losing your funding.
    Exactly.

World Champion Array title="Just George is on a distinguished road"> Just George's Avatar

what is a proved theory? are you really saying evolution is not a working theory? Im not having this argument and hijacking this thread, but evolution is a fact, its tested and well documented by biologists and other scienctific fields today the only argument is how it occured when life began. Yes it is true we cannot wipeout the world and start over to document how it happened, but we can test what we know as scientific fact today and put together one hell of a powerful scientific theory for the origin of life.
    go to the thread I mentioned read it. Post there