Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Evolutionists be allowed to vote?

The Oncoming Storm Array title="Vis will become famous soon enough"> Vis's Avatar

Should Evolutionists be allowed to vote?

http://www.csama.org/csanews/nws200807.pdf

Crazy man with a newsletter.

The Oncoming Storm Array title="Vis will become famous soon enough"> Vis's Avatar

Re: Should Evolutionists be allowed to vote?

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

It's interesting, because I lump the two together (Creationists and Atheists). Both are militant. Both are about refuting the other side almost exclusively, not so much about proving their own case, but knocking holes in the others case. Both ignore the holes in their own arguments.

If there was some third issue that they agreed upon, Atheists and Creationists would make excellent bedfellows.
    Fire Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    It's interesting, because I lump the two together (Creationists and Atheists). Both are militant. Both are about refuting the other side almost exclusively, not so much about proving their own case, but knocking holes in the others case. Both ignore the holes in their own arguments.

If there was some third issue that they agreed upon, Atheists and Creationists would make excellent bedfellows.
    How is an atheist militant just for not believing in a god? I'm looking for a definitional reason not examples. There are militant people in all walks

Take the time to watch this.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vis View Post
    How is an atheist militant just for not believing in a god? I'm looking for a definitional reason not examples. There are militant people in all walks
    Because they "know" something that is unknowable. How can a person be so vehement, so vocal, so "sure" about something that can't ever be known? There is just as much evidence that there is a God as there is that there isn't. Same goes for evolution. The "holes" that Creationists punch in the theory don't really mean anything unless you're willing to throw the baby out with the bath water (Just because a small part of an idea MIGHT be wrong, it certainly doesn't necessarily follow that the rest of the argument is therefore DEFINITELY wrong). I don't like reductionist reasoning. I also find it ironic that anti-evolutionists will use reductionist reasoning to say that evolution can't be true because.........................it utilizes some form of reductionism! It's the ultimate hypocrisy. "My reductionist argument is BETTER than yours! Neener neener neener!"
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

Atheists are militant? Atheists Do not belive in any deity, and since no deity has ever been proven to exsist, what evidence do we need to prove a case?

But there is also exactly zero evidence that there is NOT a God. So you don't, and can't, and won't ever know for sure. But yet you are sure.

Sounds like faith. Which is the same mortar the Creationists use to fill in the gaps in their arguments.
    Fire Goodell

Because they "know" something that is unknowable. How can a person be so vehement, so vocal, so "sure" about something that can't ever be known? There is just as much evidence that there is a God as there is that there isn't. Same goes for evolution. The "holes" that Creationists punch in the theory don't really mean anything unless you're willing to throw the baby out with the bath water (Just because a small part of an idea MIGHT be wrong, it certainly doesn't necessarily follow that the rest of the argument is therefore DEFINITELY wrong). I don't like reductionist reasoning. I also find it ironic that anti-evolutionists will use reductionist reasoning to say that evolution can't be true because.........................it utilizes some form of reductionism! It's the ultimate hypocrisy. "My reductionist argument is BETTER than yours! Neener neener neener!"
    Atheism is a lack of belief. It doesn't require absolute certainty that there is no god just like it doesn't require certainty that the world wasn't created by the big spaghetti monster. You can't disprove that monster either.

Atheists do not claim to know anything, they simply do not belive in the exsistence of gods. An atheist could have many theories on life and nature without god, not limited to evolution, however the evidence for evolution is overwhelming . Atheists do not follow any doctrine or set belief systems, they simply rely on the evidence proven tested and measured. Let me ask you this, what evidence would you require to disprove a god? How does one disprove something that can not be proven?

But there is also exactly zero evidence that there is NOT a God. So you don't, and can't, and won't ever know for sure. But yet you are sure.

Sounds like faith. Which is the same mortar the Creationists use to fill in the gaps in their arguments.
    Difference being if there was evidence for a god atheists would accept it. On the other hand there is plenty of evidence for evolution and creationist still deny it.

I think you're both missing my over-ridding point here. I'm not trying to get tangled in the minutiae, and I actually don't care what Atheists or Creationists think or believe, other than to illustrate a point. In fact, these kinds of statements and arguments in the last two posts sort of prove my point. Why can't there just be a live and let live? Why do Creationists insist on removing evolution from the discussion? Why do Atheists insist on attempting to remove God from every facet of daily life? Why does it have to be one way or the other? Why isn't just enough to have your view and hold it dear? Why try to impose it on others?
    Fire Goodell

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

big·ot

Definition of BIGOT

: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bigot

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'll give you a real-world example of Atheism at work. The school district I live in is in a rural area, heavy on Amish and Mennonites. The school systems 200 year old mission statement (it is now called "Core Values") mentions God.

Some lady from like Minnesota or somewhere far away (details escape me) filed a claim with the state over this. Why? She demanded that the word God be removed, and they buckled under and did so.

That's stupid. Nobody in the community ever had a problem with it. There was no prayer in school, and it is a secular school. I'm not even sure anybody bothers to read these types of things. It just doesn't make sense. Why can't people just deal with the wolves within their own fences?
    Fire Goodell

I think you're both missing my over-ridding point here. I'm not trying to get tangled in the minutiae, and I actually don't care what Atheists or Creationists think or believe, other than to illustrate a point. In fact, these kinds of statements and arguments in the last two posts sort of prove my point. Why can't there just be a live and let live? Why do Creationists insist on removing evolution from the discussion? Why do Atheists insist on attempting to remove God from every facet of daily life? Why does it have to be one way or the other? Why isn't just enough to have your view and hold it dear? Why try to impose it on others?
    Because making god part of everyones everyday life is forcing a set of beliefs on to people who do not share them. Evolution is not forced on anyone it is a natural process, you couldnt remove it even if you wanted to. Atheists do not try and remove god from all facets of everyday life, just their own.

I'll give you a real-world example of Atheism at work. The school district I live in is in a rural area, heavy on Amish and Mennonites. The school systems 200 year old mission statement (it is now called "Core Values") mentions God.

Some lady from like Minnesota or somewhere far away (details escape me) filed a claim with the state over this. Why? She demanded that the word God be removed, and they buckled under and did so.

That's stupid. Nobody in the community ever had a problem with it. There was no prayer in school, and it is a secular school. I'm not even sure anybody bothers to read these types of things. It just doesn't make sense. Why can't people just deal with the wolves within their own fences?
    Well their are extremes in all walks of life, I as an atheists personally would not of cared about the word god, but she did. If it said allah, I would go out on limb and say many religous folk would follow the same action of wanting it removed.

But there are degrees here. Remember, most of this conversation stems from the fact that Huntsman is considered too "Centrist" because he believes in science. Having the word "God" in your school systems core values is not the same as forcing religion on students. Having the words "In God We trust" on your coin does not move your society from being secular to being a theocracy.

We are letting the extremes gain undue sway, and moving away from where MOST peoples ideas and beliefs rest: Right in the center.
    Fire Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by steeldawg View Post
    Well their are extremes in all walks of life, I as an atheists personally would not of cared about the word god, but she did. If it said allah, I would go out on limb and say many religous folk would follow the same action of wanting it removed.
    God is a generic term anyway. If it said "Jesus", I'd feel differently.
    Fire Goodell

When you have doubts about whether God exists or doesn't, is it one god or many gods? Which of all the gods that can't be proven to not exist do you give any benefit of a doubt?

When you have doubts about whether God exists or doesn't, is it one god or many gods? Which of all the gods that can't be proven to not exist do you give any benefit of a doubt?
    Huh? You're losing me. I ask not to get jumbled up in minutiae, and you shrink the argument even further.

If Atheists don't believe God exists, and it's not being taught in schools or being propagated by the government that he A) Does and B) That you have to believe in Him, then, again, what difference does it make. Why does it absolutely have to be one way or the other? I don't believe in literal creationism, and I'm not offended by people who do AS LONG AS THEY DON'T ASK THAT IT BE TAUGHT AS SCIENCE. They can even teach it in school as long as it's in like a comparative religion class or something, but it's not science. By way of comparison, I also don't believe that Climate Change should be taught as literal science, because it is not. There is absolutely no way for scientists to determine that it is man causing it or nature itself.

But the thing that truly scares me is the slippery slope we are on right now. When the fringe starts gaining traction, where does it stop? Michelle Bachmann has already announced (and I actually KNEW this was coming, and knew it was coming from her, because she really is pure batshit fucking looney tunes) that God caused the hurricanes to warn us about government spending.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/2053...ann-tea-pa.htm
    Fire Goodell

Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

Next thing you will hear is that the Boy Scouts will be banned from some events . God bless the great people of the ACLU ( hope I didn't offend anyone by using the word God )

Huh? You're losing me. I ask not to get jumbled up in minutiae, and you shrink the argument even further.

If Atheists don't believe God exists, and it's not being taught in schools or being propagated by the government that he A) Does and B) That you have to believe in Him, then, again, what difference does it make. Why does it absolutely have to be one way or the other? I don't believe in literal creationism, and I'm not offended by people who do AS LONG AS THEY DON'T ASK THAT IT BE TAUGHT AS SCIENCE. They can even teach it in school as long as it's in like a comparative religion class or something, but it's not science. By way of comparison, I also don't believe that Climate Change should be taught as literal science, because it is not. There is absolutely no way for scientists to determine that it is man causing it or nature itself.

But the thing that truly scares me is the slippery slope we are on right now. When the fringe starts gaining traction, where does it stop? Michelle Bachmann has already announced (and I actually KNEW this was coming, and knew it was coming from her, because she really is pure batshit fucking looney tunes) that God caused the hurricanes to warn us about government spending.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/2053...ann-tea-pa.htm
    Even your question presupposes something that it should not. It isn't that atheist don't believe in a christian god, we don't believe in any. Bachmann's god holds no more weight than does Vishnu or Zeus or Allah or Thor. Teach them all as myth or give them all the benefit of some doubt but don't elevate one over another.

Quote Originally Posted by venom View Post
    Next thing you will hear is that the Boy Scouts will be banned from some events . God bless the great people of the ACLU ( hope I didn't offend anyone by using the word God )
    You're like a little old lady with her blinker on trying to merge on a highway at 5 mph. If you want to join the discussion get up to speed.

Even your question presupposes something that it should not. It isn't that atheist don't believe in a christian god, we don't believe in any. Bachmann's god holds no more weight than does Vishnu or Zeus or Allah or Thor. Teach them all as myth or give them all the benefit of some doubt but don't elevate one over another.
    If you don't believe at all, why do you care? I mean, really, why are people offended by Santa Claus? It's just as ridiculous. As long as it's not being shoved down your throat, complaining about it seems rather pedantic to me.

Personally, I don't really know one way or the other, although I tend to think that the newer the religion (and God), the sillier it gets. That's why Scientology is pretty much just straight up lunacy, especially since it's known that it was invented largely as a joke and/or tax shelter. But I'm not about to go around banning it, either. People can believe (or, not believe, if you will) whatever they want.

My question is much more about people having to have things all their own way. Why do Bachmann and Perry have a monopoly on God? Why does it HAVE to be evolution OR Creationism? Why can't it be that God used evolution in his plan of creation? Nobody knows one way or the other anyway.

The only other issue I may have with this whole thing is the presupposition by atheists that because they don't believe in God they are somehow intellectually superior to people who do believe or admittedly aren't really sure. I mean, I know you won't like it framed this way, but belief in nothing is still a form of belief, and even nihilists have a form of faith in their belief in that nothing really means anything. How do they know even that for sure?
    Fire Goodell

If you don't believe at all, why do you care? I mean, really, why are people offended by Santa Claus? It's just as ridiculous. As long as it's not being shoved down your throat, complaining about it seems rather pedantic to me.

Personally, I don't really know one way or the other, although I tend to think that the newer the religion (and God), the sillier it gets. That's why Scientology is pretty much just straight up lunacy, especially since it's known that it was invented largely as a joke and/or tax shelter. But I'm not about to go around banning it, either. People can believe (or, not believe, if you will) whatever they want.

My question is much more about people having to have things all their own way. Why do Bachmann and Perry have a monopoly on God? Why does it HAVE to be evolution OR Creationism? Why can't it be that God used evolution in his plan of creation? Nobody knows one way or the other anyway.

The only other issue I may have with this whole thing is the presupposition by atheists that because they don't believe in God they are somehow intellectually superior to people who do believe or admittedly aren't really sure. I mean, I know you won't like it framed this way, but belief in nothing is still a form of belief, and even nihilists have a form of faith in their belief in that nothing really means anything. How do they know even that for sure?
    Where the equivalency breaks down is that atheists don't believe or teach that christians will be tortured for eternity and will deserve it. That is what christians say about us.

Qui dall'inizio Array title="Vincent is on a distinguished road"> Vincent's Avatar

If you don't believe at all, why do you care?
    Vis baits. Don't bite. It ain't complicated.

Where the equivalency breaks down is that atheists don't believe or teach that christians will be tortured for eternity and will deserve it. That is what christians say about us.
    But they say that about me, too. They say that about each other! Baptists believe Catholics are going to Hell for drinking and smoking and dancing and gambling. As long as their beliefs don't create a theocracy, or interfere with the basic functions of our secular state, personal beliefs are irrelevant.
    Fire Goodell

Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

You're like a little old lady with her blinker on trying to merge on a highway at 5 mph. If you want to join the discussion get up to speed.
    Did I offend you with the word God libby ??

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    Vis baits. Don't bite. It ain't complicated.
    I don't see it that way at all. We seem to be having a pretty reasonably tame and interesting discussion, and we're both voicing our points of view in a calm and respectful matter.
    Fire Goodell

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

This is what I said in the 'Tennessee football game' thread. If you are going to have a Christian prayer at a public event then you should be prepared to have a prayer or ceremony for any other religion or belief that is also represented at the public event. But that would never happen....