Thread: Leftwich may return this season

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Leftwich may return this season

Byron Leftwich's broken left arm may not cause him to miss the entire 2011 season, though it has not been determined how long he will be out, a source told the Post-Gazette...........

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11240...d=steelers.xml

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Leftwich may return this season

That just looked ugly. He was definitely in A LOT of pain.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

My son broke his leg last month and had surgery on it. Trust me, Lefty is on some good drugs today.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

If he can be back and ready by mid October or earlier then don't IR him. He's far and away our best back-up if Ben goes down.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

If there is a positive to this it's that he didn't break his throwing arm.

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAsteeler View Post
    If there is a positive to this it's that he didn't break his throwing arm.
    Yep, if it was his throwing arm his career would most likely be over. Hopefully he is able to come back this year, I always liked Lefty going back to his beginnings with Jacksonville.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

The silver lining in this dark cloud. If he can be ready by end of Oct., may be wise to leave a roster spot for him.

Senior Member Array title="7willBheaven is on a distinguished road"> 7willBheaven's Avatar

The only bad thing about leaving him on the roster...what position do you short a player to keep 4 QBs on the roster? Spots are so valuable...I'd hate to loose a young CB/OL or whatever just to keep him on the sidelines doing nothing.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 7willBheaven View Post
    The only bad thing about leaving him on the roster...what position do you short a player to keep 4 QBs on the roster? Spots are so valuable...I'd hate to loose a young CB/OL or whatever just to keep him on the sidelines doing nothing.
    I'd cut Dixon and just go with Ben and Batch until Leftwich is ready to return. If Batch gets hurt Dixon or someone better or near his equal will be out there to be signed.

Senior Member Array title="BlastFurnace will become famous soon enough"> BlastFurnace's Avatar

There was also speculation about Smith last year, Troy the year before....we've heard it before.

I don't see how Leftwich can play again this year if he broke his arm. Put him on IR and be done with it.

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    I'd cut Dixon and just go with Ben and Batch until Leftwich is ready to return. If Batch gets hurt Dixon or someone better or near his equal will be out there to be signed.
    Favre might even be still be available!

Ben's Wingman Array title="Merchant has a spectacular aura about"> Merchant's Avatar

This isn't Aaron Smith. He's not good enough to save a spot for in my opinion. Dixon and Batch are capable backups. We're fine with them.

Senior Member Array title="7willBheaven is on a distinguished road"> 7willBheaven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
    There was also speculation about Smith last year, Troy the year before....we've heard it before.

I don't see how Leftwich can play again this year if he broke his arm. Put him on IR and be done with it.
    I was getting ready to mention Smith as an example and how that turned out.

Black and Gold Lantern Array title="The Duke is just really nice"> The Duke's Avatar

I'm sorry but I have seen enough Leftwich injuries through the years to be able to trust him

he's made of glass. Batch's not much better, but he's healthy now and Lefty isn't. Just put him on IR

hope we draft some guy next year. Draft looks deeper on mid round prospects
    "We're a team. There's no offense. There's no defense. There's no special teams. We're one. We're a band of brothers." – Ben Roethlisberger

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    I'd cut Dixon and just go with Ben and Batch until Leftwich is ready to return. When Batch gets hurt [by a 30 mph gust of wind] Dixon or someone better or near his equal will be out there to be signed.
    I fixed your quote

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post

Agreed. With as fragile as Batch is, we need Dixon also. Lefty needs to go on IR. I don't want him wasting a roster spot that forces us to cut another young player.

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

I say put him on IR and pay him and cut him. No team will sign him until his arm heals, and then when that happens we can always resign him and then cut Batch or Dixon to make room for him.

I just don't see the point in cutting a young player to keep a guy who may end up not playing at all if there are complications with the healing of his arm.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

They can put him on the PUP list without burning a roster spot. If he's ready after the six weeks, you cut one of the other QBs, if he's not you IR Lefty.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Two words:

Thaddeus Gibson.

Moral of the story? No roster spot for Byron.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    They can put him on the PUP list without burning a roster spot. If he's ready after the six weeks, you cut one of the other QBs, if he's not you IR Lefty.
    Winner, winner, chicken dinner! Sounds good to me, and if that option's available I can't see why they ( Steelers) wouldn't do that very things.

The Oncoming Storm Array title="Vis will become famous soon enough"> Vis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Only players injured at the start of camp are eligible for the PUP list. If you're on the active roster and injured at camp you can't be put on the list.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Batch is already hurt. He snapped the clipboard on his finger. Just bring back Tee Martin.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vis View Post
    Only players injured at the start of camp are eligible for the PUP list. If you're on the active roster and injured at camp you can't be put on the list.
    Vis is right. I was mistaken. I forgot that this was the rule.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

IR, stop playing around.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="KeiselPower99 is on a distinguished road"> KeiselPower99's Avatar

If we can get a trade for DIxon then do it and practice squad a guy until he is ready to return.