Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Haynesworth to face no league discipline over sexual assault case

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Re: Haynesworth to face no league discipline over sexual assault case

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    Bullshit. Jason Whitlock and several others wrote articles last year saying exactly what I mentioned in my previous post. Saying that because they cracked down on the black guys, then the white guy needs to get his knuckles cracked. Because it's only fair, you see.

Sorry to be so blunt, Chidi, but I'm just frustrated. At least you agree that Ben got a raw deal.

And as for Perrish Cox, and in fairness to Goodell Castro, he does consistently wait until after the legal process is completed before handing down suspensions. Yes, I know I mentioned his case earlier as a comparison to Ben's situation, but I'm doing a mea culpa. I'm sure, or at least I hope, that when the trial is completed, Cox will be suspended whether he is convicted or not.
    Pulling the race card is a very serious allegation. You better have some hard evidence if you're going to be able to make that claim. I don't care what some Fox reporter writes. That doesn't make it fact.

The fact that Ben was a star player thus getting a ton of media attention coupled with the severity of the allegations and the fact most thought he was guilty (adding more pressure on Goodell) is a much more logical, fact-based opinion than "He's white".

I expect Cox to be suspended as well. But let's wait until after the process is over and final verdicts are announced. Yet again, Steelers fans are too quick to jump the gun. OMG, a report said he probably won't be fined. He definitely won't and let's start ripping Goodell for it right now (even though the case is still under review). Perrish Cox in big trouble, screw the legal system, kill Goodell (or call him Hitler!).

To be blunt as well, if that was steelerfan who made this thread, he would've gotten killed for providing inaccurate information. Not that I'm defending steelerfan because I didn't like the guy, but that's what would've happened.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    Pulling the race card is a very serious allegation. You better have some hard evidence if you're going to be able to make that claim. I don't care what some Fox reporter writes. That doesn't make it fact.

The fact that Ben was a star player thus getting a ton of media attention coupled with the severity of the allegations and the fact most thought he was guilty (adding more pressure on Goodell) is a much more logical, fact-based opinion than "He's white".

I expect Cox to be suspended as well. But let's wait until after the process is over and final verdicts are announced. Yet again, Steelers fans are too quick to jump the gun. OMG, a report said he probably won't be fined. He definitely won't and let's start ripping Goodell for it right now (even though the case is still under review). Perrish Cox in big trouble, screw the legal system, kill Goodell (or call him Hitler!).

To be blunt as well, if that was steelerfan who made this thread, he would've gotten killed for providing inaccurate information. Not that I'm defending steelerfan because I didn't like the guy, but that's what would've happened.
    Chidi, you know I like and respect you, so I think I'm going to end this conversation right here before hard feelings start getting involved. But I will say this - at no time did I ever say that Goodell was a racist. What I was attempting to do is point out that others in the media and elsewhere were putting pressure on Goodell to suspend the white QB for a mere allegation since he came down hard on black players for the crimes they committed. I can go back and pull up the links, but what's the point? I knew I was making a damn mistake as soon as I went here, because I HATE, HATE, HATE the race card constantly being pulled. Anyone who knows anything about me will tell you that. So I'm bowing out now. This is what I get for trying to make a point.

And as for your other comment, yes, steelerfan would have gotten killed for doing it, because he was a repeat offender 100 times over. I'm not going to get upset with a member for a first offense.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

I don't understand? Now we're no longer allowed to speculate based on what we know? I mean, we have a "league source" stating that no further discipline is expected. That means that unless something surprising happens, Haynesworth "Tarnished the shield" and received no punishment.

That's wrong, and it's inconsistent.
    Fire Goodell

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

And as for your other comment, yes, steelerfan would have gotten killed for doing it, because he was a repeat offender 100 times over. I'm not going to get upset with a member for a first offense.
    Not to mention the fifty or so times he posted things with absolutely no source at all, was warned about it repeatedly, and just continued to keep right on doing it.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    Yet again, Steelers fans are too quick to jump the gun. OMG, a report said he probably won't be fined. He definitely won't and let's start ripping Goodell for it right now (even though the case is still under review). Perrish Cox in big trouble, screw the legal system, kill Goodell (or call him Hitler!).
    Sorry, but this is criticism of Goodell's own making. He's the one who opened the can of worms and chose to go down that slippery slope by giving Roethlisberger six games (while letting other players slide on several occasions since for "tarnishing the shield"), nobody else. Don't blame Steelers fans for pointing out his rampant inconsistency.

And as far as calling him "Hitler" goes, it's "Der Kommissar" (German for "commissioner"), not "Der Führer."

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

-He's been inconsistent at best in his punishments.
    -He's been anything but even-handed and clearly favors some teams over others.
    -He's been a puppet of the owners, and continues to be so. NOBODY wants an 18 game season but owners like Jerry Jones. The players don't. I don't hear any fans saying how great it would be.
    -Don't get me started on all the unnecessary changes he's making that are wrecking the game of football.
    -And I'm STILL fucking angry as Hell over the way he covered up and buried the Pats cheating scandal. Destroying the evidence to me should have been grounds for his impeachment (or whatever you do to sack an NFL commish).

Goodell is the worst NFL commissioner of all time, and the second worst commish in sports (Stern is still a bigger asshat). He deserves every bit of criticism he receives as far as I'm concerned because he's destroying the league. The NFL is thriving in spite of him, not because of him.
    Fire Goodell

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    -He's been inconsistent at best in his punishments.
    -He's been anything but even-handed and clearly favors some teams over others.
    -He's been a puppet of the owners, and continues to be so. NOBODY wants an 18 game season but owners like Jerry Jones. The players don't. I don't hear any fans saying how great it would be.
    -Don't get me started on all the unnecessary changes he's making that are wrecking the game of football.
    -And I'm STILL fucking angry as Hell over the way he covered up and buried the Pats cheating scandal. Destroying the evidence to me should have been grounds for his impeachment (or whatever you do to sack an NFL commish).

Goodell is the worst NFL commissioner of all time, and the second worst commish in sports (Stern is still a bigger asshat). He deserves every bit of criticism he receives as far as I'm concerned because he's destroying the league. The NFL is thriving in spite of him, not because of him.
    QFT

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

The Oncoming Storm Array title="Vis will become famous soon enough"> Vis's Avatar

I heard Haynesworth sold a jersey in college so this isn't over.

Quote Originally Posted by Vis View Post
    I heard Haynesworth sold a jersey in college so this isn't over.
    Goodell will dock his pension accordingly when the NCAA finally gets wind of this transgression in 2027 or thereabouts and invalidates all of Tennessee's wins during Haynesworth's playing days there.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Sorry, but this is criticism of Goodell's own making. He's the one who opened the can of worms and chose to go down that slippery slope by giving Roethlisberger six games (while letting other players slide on several occasions since for "tarnishing the shield"), nobody else. Don't blame Steelers fans for pointing out his rampant inconsistency.

And as far as calling him "Hitler" goes, it's "Der Kommissar" (German for "commissioner"), not "Der Führer."
    I know Goodell has had inconsistencies in his rulings. And I've said all along I didn't like the fact Ben was suspended.

Ail I'm asking for is a realization that Haynesworth and Ben are two different situations and that nothing final has even happened to Albert yet. Can't we wait until the NFL makes its final ruling before getting mad? What if Albert ends up being punished?

Spin it how you like, there's clearly a Hitler innuendo. Say that about anyone else in any other situation and it's not going to be tolerated on the board.

Tiger Lion and Steel Array title="SteelCityMan786 will become famous soon enough"> SteelCityMan786's Avatar

Where the lands are a mix of Black and Gold with some Blue and White

He's a Patriot or as I in some cases like to call them, Roger Goodell's Children who can do no wrong according to him. Enough said.
    786 Ways to score touchdowns

I am always amazed when this comes up and people ignore how different these things are. Once again. It is all about PERCEPTION people. PERCEPTION.

The PERCEPTION is that Ben was accused of rape, then while that was hanging over his head, he was again ACCUSED of rape (sexual assault), but in people's PERCEPTION, it is rape. It happened not once, but TWICE. Regardless of what really happened, there was enough credibility to the incidence to make people THINK that it was possible.

Hayneworth was basically accused of sliding a credit card down between a waitress's breasts. That's it. NO perception of rape. No perception of sexually violating by penetration. Furthermore, he plead guilty. Thus, the PERCEPTION is that he took responsibility for his actions.

Now, someone, please tell me why you think that, when the league did NOTHING to Ben the first time he was perceived to do something MUCH worse without (again, according to perception) taking responsibility for it, Hayneworth should be punished by the league on his first time, AFTER taking responsibility?

We really need to lay down the martyr complex around here.

And as for Perrish Cox, and in fairness to Goodell Castro, he does consistently wait until after the legal process is completed before handing down suspensions. Yes, I know I mentioned his case earlier as a comparison to Ben's situation, but I'm doing a mea culpa. I'm sure, or at least I hope, that when the trial is completed, Cox will be suspended whether he is convicted or not.
    Cox is going to jail. Book it. And likely for a very, very long time.

http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-police...,6201789.story

Cox is going to jail. Book it. And likely for a very, very long time.

http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-police...,6201789.story
    Wow. I don't really follow other teams or the news around them that much. This... is despicable. Like I said with Ben and everyone else, I wasn't there. But in this case, if he even admits to sexually touching her while she was too intoxicated, he's basically admitted to molesting her. It's not that far of a leap to suggest the rest. Why do people think that's ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Wow. I don't really follow other teams or the news around them that much. This... is despicable. Like I said with Ben and everyone else, I wasn't there. But in this case, if he even admits to sexually touching her while she was too intoxicated, he's basically admitted to molesting her. It's not that far of a leap to suggest the rest. Why do people think that's ok?
    Get this Preach, the DNA test proving he was the father came AFTER he made a very Clintonesque "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" type of statement - his exact words were "I swear to God on my baby daughter that I didn't touch her." He's pretty much toast, and what's more he deserves to be.

Get this Preach, the DNA test proving he was the father came AFTER he made a very Clintonesque "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" type of statement - his exact words were "I swear to God on my baby daughter that I didn't touch her." He's pretty much toast, and what's more he deserves to be.
    Sometimes, all you can do is hang your head.

Isn't that right, Tom Dooley? (ok, I'm showing my age--or at least my parent's age).

I don't care about Haynesworth (although I'm sure nothing will happen to him). I care about Goodell.

What a fucked up league. You can get a $25,000 fine for a hit that doesn't even draw a penalty, then "tarnish the shield", admit to it, and get nothing. Remember what he said: If you tarnish the shield of the NFL, you deserve to be punished for it. Guilt is irrelevant. Please remember, too, that when Ben was under Goodell's knife, he disclosed a whole bunch of stuff from his talks with Ben that should have been kept confidential. Like saying that "None of Ben's teammates had a single good thing to say about him". Remember, too, that Ben's punishment stemmed from what was considered IMMORAL behavior, because no illegal activity was ever revealed or proven. To get back to Haynesworth, he PLEAD GUILTY to simple assault in a plea deal to keep him from going to court for sexual assault.

So, he engaged in both immoral AND illegal behavior, and was found guilty. And he gets no punishment from the NFL (a safe assumption, although we don't know for sure).
    Fire Goodell

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

I am always amazed when this comes up and people ignore how different these things are. Once again. It is all about PERCEPTION people. PERCEPTION.

The PERCEPTION is that Ben was accused of rape, then while that was hanging over his head, he was again ACCUSED of rape (sexual assault), but in people's PERCEPTION, it is rape. It happened not once, but TWICE. Regardless of what really happened, there was enough credibility to the incidence to make people THINK that it was possible.

Hayneworth was basically accused of sliding a credit card down between a waitress's breasts. That's it. NO perception of rape. No perception of sexually violating by penetration. Furthermore, he plead guilty. Thus, the PERCEPTION is that he took responsibility for his actions.

Now, someone, please tell me why you think that, when the league did NOTHING to Ben the first time he was perceived to do something MUCH worse without (again, according to perception) taking responsibility for it, Hayneworth should be punished by the league on his first time, AFTER taking responsibility?

I feel that part of the reason he wasn't punished the first time is because:

1. The woman waited one year before filing suit, and she's only filed a civil suit she has not yet gone to the police to file a police report to bring on criminal charges

2. Most people, including Goodell, are convinced that McNulty is a psycho who is going for a cash grab and nothing more.

However when Ben put himself in basically the same situation that's when Goodell decided to punish Ben.

And as for Haynesworth, he didn't just slide his credit card down her shirt, he groped her breast afterwards.

Now I have been to bars where the servers don't have any pockets and I have had to put my card in the server's bra before....but I never felt that was an invitation to grab a breast. I did my best to make sure my flesh didn't make any contact with the server's.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Why should Ben have taken responsability for commiting a crime if in fact he didn't?

Here's the truth of the situation, once the Ga. D.A decided the evidence didn't support pursuance of a criminal charge the matter should have been dropped by the league and any sort of disciplanary action should have been left to the Steelers. Of course Ben would have had the right to appeal any action taken by the team, but he most likely wouldn't have, because it was pretty evident that the team had about their fill of Big Ben at the time, and had he wanted to remain a Steeler ( which obviously he did and does) then he most likely would have complied with whatever punishement was set forth.

What it comes down to is that Roger overstepped his bounds in that case, and has repeatedly done so in many other cases since. His punishements are random and arbitrary, and he comes across as an egomaniacial assclown.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

In the case of Cox how come there has not been more talk around the league about this? None of the sports talking heads have even mentioned this that I have seen and, I remember after Ben drama it was all over the whole world! I got a big problem with this and, it seems if a steeler player does more than jay-walking it is front line news. I know the NFL is waiting for the legal system is run it's course. Where is the court of public opinion in this? Ben got trashed and buried by the entire media. I'm just saying.........

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Ben = Star (SB champ, high profile NFLer) Cox = who? Sweep under the rug and there is no publicity. Ben made news, not just sports news.