Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haynesworth to face no league discipline over sexual assault case

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

Haynesworth to face no league discipline over sexual assault case

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/...abuse-trial-dc

This little tidbit is at the bottom of the article in the last few lines.

So Haynesworth, pleading no contest and receiving a slap on the wrist for his transgression, is not going to receive even a fine for what he did.

However our quarterback is accused and never even charged with anything receives a four game suspension without pay.

And Goodell wonders why he doesn't have the respect of the players or the fans.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Haynesworth to face no league discipline over sexual assault case

Is anyone surprised?

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigNastyDefense View Post
    However our quarterback is accused and never even charged with anything receives a four game suspension without pay.
    But Ben already had an established history of "transgressions." Oh, wait....

Senior Member Array title="KeiselPower99 is on a distinguished road"> KeiselPower99's Avatar

Welcome to New England Mr Haynesworth. You wont be punished for anything.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

League is still reviewing the case. No final decision has been made. The link you gave says so itself.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    League is still reviewing the case. No final decision has been made. The link you gave says so itself.
    I've got ten bucks that says not only does nothing come of this, but that article will be the last mention of it at all and it will be conveniently "forgotten."

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

A league source, however, told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is not expected to hand down any further discipline to Haynesworth.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    I've got ten bucks that says not only does nothing come of this, but that article will be the last mention of it at all and it will be conveniently "forgotten."
    I don't think anything will either.

But to say nothing has as a definitive answer is false.

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    I'll raise your ten bucks with a hundred.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

If no punishment, here is a surprise, Goodell is a hypocrite. As much as I enjoy watching the Steelers, it pains me to know that Goodell is the commish.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    If no punishment, here is a surprise, Goodell is a hypocrite. As much as I enjoy watching the Steelers, it pains me to know that Goodell is the commish.
    While I don't agree with the Ben suspension and feel it was a result of public pressure on Goodell rather than the merits of the case, Haynesworth's crimes are much less severe. He is basically accused of feeling up a woman while Ben was accused of sexual assualt. Not that I'm condoning what Fat Albert did but it's worth pointing out there's a difference.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

It kind of smacks of the bad kid getting some slack, because he is already a "lost" cause. Ben, on the other hand, was a high profile, 2 time SB champ, have to keep a much tighter reign on him.

The real difference is not the accusation, but the admission of guilt.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Well, there it is.

I mean, even the most ardent Goodell apologist has got to see the obvious hypocrisy and duplicity in this move (or lack thereof).
    Fire Goodell

Latin Steel Array title="SMR has a spectacular aura about"> SMR's Avatar

Wow.

If Goodell does nothing with Haynesworth, he doesn't deserve to remain the Commish.
    WE are the NFL's All-Time Dynasty!

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Plus not to mention that bspn or any other network will even give this any attention at all. Eveybody knows that worthless Roger is on the cheats payroll as well. God I hate Roger.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

No surprise, Goodell Castro believes any player that is not a steeler is entitled to display this behavior

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steel striker View Post
    Plus not to mention that bspn or any other network will even give this any attention at all. Eveybody knows that worthless Roger is on the cheats payroll as well. God I hate Roger.
    Of course they won't. I'm also starting to believe whomever brought up the race issue when it came to Ben's suspension. Everyone here knows how much I hate the constant race-baiting that has infested our society, but it's a little tough to not think that Goodell went easy on Fat Albert because he didn't want to be accused of being a racist. Same as when he unfairly suspended Ben when he was never charged with a crime.

This guy needs to be fired immediately and given a job as a Wal-Mart greeter.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    Of course they won't. I'm also starting to believe whomever brought up the race issue when it came to Ben's suspension. Everyone here knows how much I hate the constant race-baiting that has infested our society, but it's a little tough to not think that Goodell went easy on Fat Albert because he didn't want to be accused of being a racist. Same as when he unfairly suspended Ben when he was never charged with a crime.

This guy needs to be fired immediately and given a job as a Wal-Mart greeter.
    Plenty of black players have been disciplined by Goodell. Heck, Britt and Talib just met with him yesterday. Both are likely facing suspension.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Plenty of black players have been disciplined by Goodell. Heck, Britt and Talib just met with him yesterday. Both are likely facing suspension.
    He won't suspend those two, they don't play for the Steelers

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

I know that, but I'm talking about the level of pressure he got from the media during that whole thing with Ben. Telling him that he must suspend Ben because he came down hard on black players (most of whom actually did commit crimes) and it was a chance to prove that the NFL wasn't racist, even though he was not charged with a crime. If Ben were black, there's none of that pressure at all. Now you have two black players who have sexual assault/sexual harassment charges levied against them. Nothing from Goodell. Spin it how you like, it doesn't look good.

Latin Steel Array title="SMR has a spectacular aura about"> SMR's Avatar

I know that, but I'm talking about the level of pressure he got from the media during that whole thing with Ben. Telling him that he must suspend Ben because he came down hard on black players (most of whom actually did commit crimes) and it was a chance to prove that the NFL wasn't racist, even though he was not charged with a crime. If Ben were black, there's none of that pressure at all. Now you have two black players who have sexual assault/sexual harassment charges levied against them. Nothing from Goodell. Spin it how you like, it doesn't look good.
    Bravo! Well put.
    WE are the NFL's All-Time Dynasty!

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    Well, there it is.

I mean, even the most ardent Goodell apologist has got to see the obvious hypocrisy and duplicity in this move (or lack thereof).
    You'd think, but Chidi proves otherwise. P
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Goodell has been called a lot of things, but being racist isn't one of them. And even if select few called him such, it has very little merit.

Again, Goodell has not made an offical ruling on Haynesworth. He probably will get off free, but let's wait until he says something.

Goodell has been called a lot of things, but being racist isn't one of them. And even if select few called him such, it has very little merit.

Again, Goodell has not made an offical ruling on Haynesworth. He probably will get off free, but let's wait until he says something.
    He wasn't called a racist...I said those in the media who put pressure on him (pressure that you admitted to happening, BTW) said it was a chance to prove the league wasn't, since he had come down swiftly and harshly against black players in the past. They always brought up Vick and Pacman as examples, even though both of them were actually charged with and Vick was convicted of crimes. So in their eyes, and in the interest of fairness (according to them), he had to come down hard on Ben and the fact that he was never indicted be damned. And here we are, over a year later, with TWO black players charged with sex crimes, and neither of them will get so much as a freaking fine. The Broncos' player not being suspended by now is the biggest travesty of all.

I know you are the biggest Goodell apologist here, but seriously...what is it going to take for you to realize that he's a hypocrite and incompetent at his job? All of the players who have criticized him and don't trust him can't all be wrong.

He wasn't called a racist...I said those in the media who put pressure on him (pressure that you admitted to happening, BTW) said it was a chance to prove the league wasn't, since he had come down swiftly and harshly against black players in the past. They always brought up Vick and Pacman as examples, even though both of them were actually charged with and Vick was convicted of crimes. So in their eyes, and in the interest of fairness (according to them), he had to come down hard on Ben and the fact that he was never indicted be damned. And here we are, over a year later, with TWO black players charged with sex crimes, and neither of them will get so much as a freaking fine. The Broncos' player not being suspended by now is the biggest travesty of all.

I know you are the biggest Goodell apologist here, but seriously...what is it going to take for you to realize that he's a hypocrite and incompetent at his job? All of the players who have criticized him and don't trust him can't all be wrong.
    I said there was pressure, but not because Ben was white. But because of the serious nature of the allegation and the fact that he was guilty in the eyes of public opinion.

I've said repeatedly in the past that I thought Ben got an unfair shake. It was a mistake by Goodell and a costly one.

But that doesn't mean Albert has to get suspended if what Goodell previous did was a mistake. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Plus, there is a lot of information we just don't know going on behind closed doors. We're only getting a very limited view in the window.

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

An NFL spokesperson said the incident is under review when asked by ESPNBoston.com's Mike Reiss if Haynesworth could face league discipline. A league source, however, told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is not expected to hand down any further discipline to Haynesworth.
    How often is Schefter wrong? He doesn't say anything without being 99% certain it's the truth.

Does Haynesworth deserve a 4 game suspension for grabbing a tit? No, but he should at least be fined by the league for his conduct. It does "tarnish the shield" as Goodeal likes to say.

And as far as the "two wrongs don't make a right," he needs to punish any player when shit like this happens. Maybe not to the extent he punished Ben Roethlisberger, but he should do something. Otherwise you're just picking and choosing who and what to punish instead of being somewhat consistent across the board. Otherwise, Goodell needs to relinquish his power under the Personal Conduct Policy.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Quote Originally Posted by BigNastyDefense View Post
    How often is Schefter wrong? He doesn't say anything without being 99% certain it's the truth.

Does Haynesworth deserve a 4 game suspension for grabbing a tit? No, but he should at least be fined by the league for his conduct. It does "tarnish the shield" as Goodeal likes to say.

And as far as the "two wrongs don't make a right," he needs to punish any player when shit like this happens. Maybe not to the extent he punished Ben Roethlisberger, but he should do something. Otherwise you're just picking and choosing who and what to punish instead of being somewhat consistent across the board. Otherwise, Goodell needs to relinquish his power under the Personal Conduct Policy.
    Schefter isn't wrong very often but I'm just saying that nothing conclusive has been made. A headline of "Haynesworth to face no discipline" makes it sound as if Goodell has come out and said so.

I believe that Albert does deserve some type of punishment. But not on the grounds of "because Ben was suspended". Rather, on the merits of his own stupid actions and crimes.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Chidi, explain then why Cox hasn't been suspended .
    but not because Ben was white. But because of the serious nature of the allegation

These charges date back to mid season last eyar and we are still awaiting any kind of statement by the league, WTH.
    Cox who is 24 has been charged with two crimes: Sexual assault on a helpless victim and sexual assault on a victim incapable of appraising her condition.
    Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    Chidi, explain then why Cox hasn't been suspended .

These charges date back to mid season last eyar and we are still awaiting any kind of statement by the league, WTH.
    I don't know why he hasn't been suspended. I know his trial is still going on so maybe Goodell waits until after then.

I said there was pressure, but not because Ben was white. But because of the serious nature of the allegation and the fact that he was guilty in the eyes of public opinion.

I've said repeatedly in the past that I thought Ben got an unfair shake. It was a mistake by Goodell and a costly one.

But that doesn't mean Albert has to get suspended if what Goodell previous did was a mistake. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Plus, there is a lot of information we just don't know going on behind closed doors. We're only getting a very limited view in the window.
    Bullshit. Jason Whitlock and several others wrote articles last year saying exactly what I mentioned in my previous post. Saying that because they cracked down on the black guys, then the white guy needs to get his knuckles cracked. Because it's only fair, you see.

Sorry to be so blunt, Chidi, but I'm just frustrated. At least you agree that Ben got a raw deal.

And as for Perrish Cox, and in fairness to Goodell Castro, he does consistently wait until after the legal process is completed before handing down suspensions. Yes, I know I mentioned his case earlier as a comparison to Ben's situation, but I'm doing a mea culpa. I'm sure, or at least I hope, that when the trial is completed, Cox will be suspended whether he is convicted or not.