Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Reach Contract Extension With Lawrence Timmons

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Steelers Reach Contract Extension With Lawrence Timmons

ESPN is reporting that the Steelers have extended Lawrence Timmons. The new contract is $50M over 5 years.

Link: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/68...al-source-says

This leaves Troy as the lone, key defensive player in the last year of his contract I believe.

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

Re: Steelers Reach Contract Extension With Lawrence Timmons

that is great to hear!!! now, it is troy turn

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

I love that we're getting these guys re-signed but that is A LOT of money being spent on one side of the team. I hope they get Wallace re-signed too.

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

GREAT news. I would imagine that with the salary cap going up by a fair amount over the next few years, the Steelers will be in fine cap shape.
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

Wonder what Troy will get if Timmons is getting 10M a year

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Yes!!!!!! Gonna be a good day! Thought they should've gotten Troy done first but whatever. Get him and Mike Wallace done...please.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

I understand this move, as Timmons is much younger. We still need to lock-up Troy, and I'm worried about this. He's the reigning Defensive MVP. He's been hurt, yes, but there are teams (cough cough Raiders cough) that would probably pay 20 mil a year for him. He'll HAVE to take some kind of hometown discount to stay, because we won't be able to match what the Skins, jets or Raiders will be willing to pony up for him.

I cannot imagine him playing for another team.
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

hell yeah!
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Pretty much locks up the 2011 team for 2012...

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    I understand this move, as Timmons is much younger. We still need to lock-up Troy, and I'm worried about this. He's the reigning Defensive MVP. He's been hurt, yes, but there are teams (cough cough Raiders cough) that would probably pay 20 mil a year for him. He'll HAVE to take some kind of hometown discount to stay, because we won't be able to match what the Skins, jets or Raiders will be willing to pony up for him.

I think if worse comes to worse, the team franchise tags him for 2012. I think 2011 will be Aaron Smith's, Farrior's and Foote's last season with the team regardless of the season's outcome, so some money will be freed up. IMO, Troy is one of the few (if not only) players in the league who will be willing to take less to stay where he's at - it's not just lip service with him.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    I think if worse comes to worse, the team franchise tags him for 2012. I think 2011 will be Aaron Smith's, Farrior's and Foote's last season with the team regardless of the season's outcome, so some money will be freed up. IMO, Troy is one of the few (if not only) players in the league who will be willing to take less to stay where he's at - it's not just lip service with him.
    I agree with you that this might be the last year for Smith, Farrior, Mewelde Moore, William Gay(maybe Foote, Ward and Hoke). Lots of cap room could come off the books and Troy could get franchised too. Nice move to lock down Timmons and Woodley.

They can tag him and Wallace is a RFA.

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

Its a 6 year, 50 Million contract. Not 5 year. So 8.3333 M a year.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Its been a very good draft in 2007 with Timmons and Woodley.

Black and Gold Lantern Array title="The Duke is just really nice"> The Duke's Avatar

Wow, compared to Beason's that's a bargain!
    "We're a team. There's no offense. There's no defense. There's no special teams. We're one. We're a band of brothers." – Ben Roethlisberger

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post

As good as Troy is, the injury concerns you stated is the reason he didn't get a deal.

It's best to wait for as long as possible before you commit big money to a player with that type of injury history.

Senior Member Array title="shutdown will become famous soon enough"> shutdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    As good as Troy is, the injury concerns you stated is the reason he didn't get a deal.

It's best to wait for as long as possible before you commit big money to a player with that type of injury history.
    We could be seeing a Rod Woodson all over again.

Glad they signed Timmons.

Senior Member Array title="7willBheaven is on a distinguished road"> 7willBheaven's Avatar

Glad this is done...I highly doubt they do anymore extensions before the season...while it wouldnt shock me if they did but I dont think they will. Troy isnt going anywhere...he has stated he wants to retire a Steeler...I'm not worried one bit about him.

And for those who are going the 50 mil divided by 6 years to get what he makes a year...while that is correct math...that doesnt mean its what he will be getting each year and what his cap hit will be.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 7willBheaven View Post
    Glad this is done...I highly doubt they do anymore extensions before the season...while it wouldnt shock me if they did but I dont think they will. Troy isnt going anywhere...he has stated he wants to retire a Steeler...I'm not worried one bit about him.

And for those who are going the 50 mil divided by 6 years to get what he makes a year...while that is correct math...that doesnt mean its what he will be getting each year and what his cap hit will be.
    Any word on the guaranteed and signing bonus?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

They will re-sign Troy. I trust the Front Office to do what they need to do. Timmons had to be extended as he can play ILB or OLB, as well as where LeBeau places him.

Agree with FS76...Foote, Farrior, and A.Smith will need to be gone. Farrior can't play forever, Foote is nowhere near the player he was in 2004-2008. Aaron is just too injury prone and old.

Senior Member Array title="7willBheaven is on a distinguished road"> 7willBheaven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    Any word on the guaranteed and signing bonus?
    This is all I could find so far....

EdBouchette Ed Bouchette
    #steelers deal w Timmons includes $18 M in bonuses, 4th most on team behind Ben R, Woodley & Harrison. Woodley got $22.5 M in bonuses.

Senior Member Array title="KeiselPower99 is on a distinguished road"> KeiselPower99's Avatar

Ive been wondering why Aaron Smith was restructered.

Quote Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 View Post
    Ive been wondering why Aaron Smith was restructered.
    I take it you mean why he WASNT restructured? As I do not remember hearing where he restructured...I think Keisel did but not Smith.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Again, love this this extension, but don't the Steelers shun contract negotiations during training camp? Perhaps the lockout has changed matters for once?
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Again, love this this extension, but don't the Steelers shun contract negotiations during training camp? Perhaps the lockout has changed matters for once?
    Once the regular season starts, they definitely halt negotiations - not sure about TC or preseason.

I don't necessarily think Farrior is done. But I tend to agree with Smith and Foote. I find it hard to believe they wouldn't figure out a way to sign Polamalu. Like Chidi said, his injuries will factor into the deal...and it's better to be safe than sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I don't necessarily think Farrior is done. But I tend to agree with Smith and Foote. I find it hard to believe they wouldn't figure out a way to sign Polamalu. Like Chidi said, his injuries will factor into the deal...and it's better to be safe than sorry...
    If we get back to the SB and win it, I think Ward will hang 'em up too.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Once the regular season starts, they definitely halt negotiations - not sure about TC or preseason.
    I'm wondering if they may change that stands once they see what Cotchery does on the field.

AML

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Great news.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Its been a very good draft in 2007 with Timmons and Woodley.
    Just imagine if the Steelers didnt take Spaeth that year. The next 10 picks after Spaeth included names like James Jones, Mike Walker, Jay Alford, Tank Tyler, Marshall Yanda, Stewart Bradley.