Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Huntsman - Call me crazy

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Re: Huntsman - Call me crazy

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Why do you hate reality? The man may be the best thing since sliced bread, but he's not gonna be President. I don't even understand why we're bothering discussing him.
    I'm sorry, I'd simply like to wait and see. He is independently wealthy, and is doing nothing, so he can stay in the race as long as he likes. And, as I pointed out about Clinton, it's not like a dark horse emerging as the candidate is unprecedented.
    Fire Goodell

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

'Zackly. "You'd like." All well and good, but the rest of the voters don't share your enthusiasm.
    /let's get back to reality
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

'Zackly. "You'd like." All well and good, but the rest of the voters don't share your enthusiasm.
    /let's get back to reality
    The thread is about Huntsman. Long shot or not it's an interesting discussion.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

27 doesn't care for him, so apparently we aren't allowed to discuss him anymore.

Only frontrunners.

15 months before the election.

Interestingly, I'd like to point out that a month ago, Perry wasn't even showing, I mean NOTHING. Now he's leading the latest Gallup Poll. We're we allowed to talk about him when he was in 14th place out of 13 candidates?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/g...212542697.html

Politics just makes people crazy...it's a funny thing.
    Fire Goodell

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    27 doesn't care for him, so apparently we aren't allowed to discuss him anymore.

Only frontrunners.

15 months before the election.

Interestingly, I'd like to point out that a month ago, Perry wasn't even showing, I mean NOTHING. Now he's leading the latest Gallup Poll. We're we allowed to talk about him when he was in 14th place out of 13 candidates?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/g...212542697.html

Politics just makes people crazy...it's a funny thing.
    Perry wasn't in the race last month, just as Palin isn't in the race now.
    And I don't care who you discuss. I'm just pointing out that this type of wishful thinking is nothing more than a self-delusional waste of time.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

The Oncoming Storm Array title="Vis will become famous soon enough"> Vis's Avatar

Perry wasn't in the race last month, just as Palin isn't in the race now.
    And I don't care who you discuss. I'm just pointing out that this type of wishful thinking is nothing more than a self-delusional waste of time.
    Who do you want to talk about?

Might I suggest that no one is picking Huntsman in polls because no one knows anything about him?

So, perhaps threads like this on this board and others might be educational for people (cough cough) who don't already know everything about the GOP field.

We have a long, long way to go. People are just now beginning to learn about Bachmann and Perry. I still hold out hope for the right that people can apply critical thinking and start to sort the wheat from the chaff. Because the GOP field right now is filled with a bunch of unelectable whackjobs.

(Edit: Adding this)
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_1...03-503544.html

Jon Huntsman: Does a "center right" presidential candidate have a prayer?

Which raises the question: Does Huntsman really have a path to the nomination? His campaign has essentially ceded Iowa, where social conservatives dominate the GOP electorate, to Huntsman's rivals. Huntsman is pinning its hopes in large part on New Hampshire, where independent voters can vote in the GOP primary and where fiscal issues tend to trump social ones. If Huntsman can somehow shock Romney in New Hampshire (which is right next to Massachusetts, and where Romney has a summer home), he could displace his fellow Mormon as the candidate who can make the strongest electability argument to GOP primary voters whose primary focus is to unseat Mr. Obama.

But that's a big if. Huntsman predicted Sunday that he would do well in New Hampshire and South Carolina and then "bring it home in Florida." He also cast his low poll numbers as nothing to worry about, arguing that voters haven't yet tuned in.

"I like exactly where we are," he said. "Stay tuned."
    Last edited by suitanim; 08-25-2011 at 11:12 AM.
    Fire Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by Vis View Post
    Who do you want to talk about?
    Actually, there *is* something I'd like to discuss: media bias in the primaries. Huntsman has been lavished with media coverage despite every bit of objective evidence that shows he's finished. At the same time, they've attempted to hide another candidate who's polling in the top tier, wins all the straw polls, has the only nationwide organization already in place, and the second-biggest war chest. How do they determine that the guy who nobody's voting for is "electable", but the guy who's doing well isn't?
    Some jackass on CNN arrogantly proclaimed that it's their job to kick candidates out of the race. Not true. It's *OUR* job as voters to kick candidates out of the race. It's *their* job to report the news so we can make an informed decision. If they were doing their job with any kind of integrity and objectivity, we wouldn't be discussing Huntsman.

The Oncoming Storm Array title="Vis will become famous soon enough"> Vis's Avatar

Actually, there *is* something I'd like to discuss: media bias in the primaries. Huntsman has been lavished with media coverage despite every bit of objective evidence that shows he's finished. At the same time, they've attempted to hide another candidate who's polling in the top tier, wins all the straw polls, has the only nationwide organization already in place, and the second-biggest war chest. How do they determine that the guy who nobody's voting for is "electable", but the guy who's doing well isn't?
    Some jackass on CNN arrogantly proclaimed that it's their job to kick candidates out of the race. Not true. It's *OUR* job as voters to kick candidates out of the race. It's *their* job to report the news so we can make an informed decision. If they were doing their job with any kind of integrity and objectivity, we wouldn't be discussing Huntsman.
    All I see is Perry these last few days

Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

Liberals worry so much about Republicans . Worry about that empty suit that lives in the White House that Jimmy Carter laughs at

Quote Originally Posted by venom View Post
    Liberals worry so much about Republicans . Worry about that empty suit that lives in the White House that Jimmy Carter laughs at
    If I quote how many posts you have in threads about dems will you admit how hypocritical your post was? Say something of value on topic and stop worrying about what I choose to discuss.

Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

I wasn't talking about you so relax . If you think I was , then the truth hurts

I wasn't talking about you so relax . If you think I was , then the truth hurts
    Worrying about republicans is like worrying about earthquakes. They can do a lot of damage.

Worrying about republicans is like worrying about earthquakes. They can do a lot of damage.
    And there are no worrying with Democrats ? Hmmmmmm

Ron Paul is a serious candidate...I don't follow the pop media, so I have no idea what kind of pub he's getting, but I've heard him mentioned quite frequently in the unbiased and more serious outlets I listen to and read.

Paul will have trouble if he gets the nod. He wrote (or had ghostwritten for him, 6 and 1/2 dozen) a series of racist articles in his newsletter between 89-96. He's also an anti-war utopian, and holds isolationism-as-foreign-policy close to his heart. He also is a conspiracy theorist, and has a lot of skeletons in his closet. I like what he brings to the table as an outsider pushing an alternative agenda, but not as a real contender for the Presidency. He, too, will not hold-up under the Democrat attack machine.
    Fire Goodell

And there are no worrying with Democrats ? Hmmmmmm
    We are the healers

We are the healers
    Barry healed:
    Gitmo
    Afghanistan
    Iraq
    Yemen
    Libya*
    Gas prices
    The economy
    Unemployment
    The housing market

Oh wait...he fucked ALL those things up even worse! Mah bad....

* Time will tell...leading form behind worked in spite of Hopey, not because of it. Libya is a mess and we may still have to boots on the ground. Read this: http://www.ohio.com/editorial/max-bo...ckage-1.231651
    Fire Goodell

Ron Paul is a serious candidate...I don't follow the pop media, so I have no idea what kind of pub he's getting, but I've heard him mentioned quite frequently in the unbiased and more serious outlets I listen to and read.

Paul will have trouble if he gets the nod. He wrote (or had ghostwritten for him, 6 and 1/2 dozen) a series of racist articles in his newsletter between 89-96. He's also an anti-war utopian, and holds isolationism-as-foreign-policy close to his heart. He also is a conspiracy theorist, and has a lot of skeletons in his closet. I like what he brings to the table as an outsider pushing an alternative agenda, but not as a real contender for the Presidency. He, too, will not hold-up under the Democrat attack machine.
    Even if what you wrote here was true, none of it addresses my point.
    http://www.journalism.org/numbers_re...oring_ron_paul

Compare that to the RCP average from all the polling.
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...tion-1452.html

The media is clearly allowing their biases to override their journalistic integrity by under-reporting candidates they don't like and over-reporting candidates they do like.

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Barry healed:
    Gitmo
    Afghanistan
    Iraq
    Yemen
    Libya*
    Gas prices
    The economy
    Unemployment
    The housing market

* Time will tell...leading form behind worked in spite of Hopey, not because of it. Libya is a mess and we may still have to boots on the ground. Read this: http://www.ohio.com/editorial/max-bo...ckage-1.231651
    Forgot one or two....

Health care
    Giving drilling rights to Brazil, blocking of U.S. drilling.(gas prices, loss of jobs, skyrocketing energy prices)
    The future of our children, grandchildren

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

We are the healers
    If out of control spending and killing business (large and small) through excessive taxation and regulations, and thus killing the incentive to achieve, is "healing," then you can keep it.

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

Barry healed:
    Gitmo
    Afghanistan
    Iraq
    Yemen
    Libya*
    Gas prices
    The economy
    Unemployment
    The housing market

Obama's biggest mistake was "taking ownership" of an economy that tanked before he got into power. NOT a smart tactical move... he can take credit for passing the "bail out" of the banks, car companies, etc... thus avoiding a potential depression as opposed to the current recession. But I honesty don't have any confidence that "any" of these politicians know what the h*ll their doing when it comes to the economy...

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerEmpire View Post
    Obama's biggest mistake was "taking ownership" of an economy that tanked before he got into power. NOT a smart tactical move.. he can take credit for passing the "bail out" of the banks, car companies, etc... thus avoiding a potential depression as opposed to the current recession. But I honesty don't have any confidence that "any" of these politicians know what the h*ll their doing when it comes to the economy...
    Wow. Very weird post from start to finish. LOL

Admittedly, though, I have said for several years that it is "reasoning" like this that is why Obama, no matter how incompetent, will win again.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Wow. Very weird post from start to finish. LOL

Admittedly, though, I have said for several years that it is "reasoning" like this that is why Obama, no matter how incompetent, will win again.

Bite your tongue.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerEmpire View Post
    Obama's biggest mistake was "taking ownership" of an economy that tanked before he got into power. NOT a smart tactical move... he can take credit for passing the "bail out" of the banks, car companies, etc... thus avoiding a potential depression as opposed to the current recession. But I honesty don't have any confidence that "any" of these politicians know what the h*ll their doing when it comes to the economy...
    Oh, a few of them do. Some of them have advanced degrees and have written books about the subject (which are only interesting to odd people like me). Their recommendation is that politicians keep their noses out of the economy because nobody (not even them) is capable of "managing" an economy without doing more harm than good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post

Bite your tongue.
    The man's got a point.
    For those who will be participating in the Republican primaries: how do you know that your favorite candidate will actually do anything different? How do you differentiate between empty campaign promises and serious resolve to do change course? 'Cuz if the Republican candidate ends up doing all the same crap Obama's doing, the only difference will be who takes the blame. In that situation, I'd rather have Obama in the WH.

Obama made a bunch of mistakes. First, he blamed (and continues to blame) every BAD thing on Bush. He campaigned on the promise to fix everything, and he's only exacerbated all the problems. Note that: He has NOT fixed things, he has made them worse. His apologists (see: above apology) still want to play all the blame at Bush's feet. The main problem with this is that Obama has actually taken a lot of Bush's policies and doubled down on them, which makes the resulting "worseness" 100% his. Then he does things like lie about job numbers. Since 2009, we have LOST 4.5 million jobs, and unemployment has gone UP and is still around 9.1-9.2%. But Obama flat-out lies and claims that he added 2 million jobs. 800,000 of those were temporary census jobs from the summer of 2010!

His spendulous bill was a disaster. It cost $250,000 per job, and many of those were simply patronage payments to his union cronies (Teachers union at the top of that list). His tax cut (you know, the retarded one where people get an extra $7 every two weeks) is ongoing and does nothing but drain the coffers. His 24% one-time increase in discretionary spending is the largest in US history. How does one blame THAT on Bush?
    Fire Goodell

Even if what you wrote here was true, none of it addresses my point.
    http://www.journalism.org/numbers_re...oring_ron_paul

Compare that to the RCP average from all the polling.
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...tion-1452.html

The media is clearly allowing their biases to override their journalistic integrity by under-reporting candidates they don't like and over-reporting candidates they do like.
    I don't know if there is a conspiracy. But I do know this: MOST of these candidates, and Paul as much as any, will not benefit from media scrutiny. When they start turning over rocks and finding skeletons in closets, many of these guys (and gals) are effed.
    Fire Goodell

We are the healers

Now thats funny . I will save that for future references

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

We are the healers
    This must be tongue in cheek? You can't be serious?

I don't know if there is a conspiracy. But I do know this: MOST of these candidates, and Paul as much as any, will not benefit from media scrutiny. When they start turning over rocks and finding skeletons in closets, many of these guys (and gals) are effed.
    I never blame anything on conspiracy that can fairly be attributed to incompetence And while your observation is fair, it also underscores the fundamental problem: We shouldn't be left with the choice of the media either ignoring or attacking candidates they don't like, just as they shouldn't be either promoting or suppressing stories about candidates they *do* like. Their job is to report, not influence.
    And *my* point is that if the media was actually reporting the news instead of picking favorites, none of us would be harboring any false illusions about Huntsman's chances this cycle.