Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Huntsman - Call me crazy

The Oncoming Storm Array title="Vis will become famous soon enough"> Vis's Avatar

Re: Huntsman - Call me crazy

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    Going back to the global warming thing..

Can someone explain to me how the earth turned into a block of ice then thawed out again before SUVs and cow farts?

I'm not saying it's not getting warmer but we are on a rock flying 60,000 MPH around a fire ball (which temperatures vary). Is it not possible that temperature fluctuations happen regardless? Space isn't exactly a controlled environment.

The beauty of the system is that when the earth warms it causes great forestation. Oh, we can't let that happen, need the land. true, many species die but new ones emerge in a few thousand years. Man cannot destroy the earth, we can just make it a worse place for us and our needs.

The Oncoming Storm Array title="Vis will become famous soon enough"> Vis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    No one in the Republican field will be able to out-raise Obama
    Especially if the primaries are a long expensive fight

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Why are we even discussing Huntsman? The guy got 63 votes in the Iowa straw poll and is DOA in the primary polling. He's not gonna be the nominee. Hell, I've got a better chance of being the Republican nominee and I'm not even running.
    Your choices are Bachmann, Palin, Paul, Perry, and Romney.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    Going back to the global warming thing..

Can someone explain to me how the earth turned into a block of ice then thawed out again before SUVs and cow farts?

I'm not saying it's not getting warmer but we are on a rock flying 60,000 MPH around a fire ball (which temperatures vary). Is it not possible that temperature fluctuations happen regardless? Space isn't exactly a controlled environment.
    Hell, there were a few times where the Earth was a block of ice for millions of years, and that was back when CO2 levels were way, way higher than they are today...up to 20 times higher. It's called "Snowball Earth." Look it up.

BTW, one of the biggest reasons why the Earth is in a 40,000 year cycle between ice ages is thanks in large part to the closing of the Isthmus of Panama and connecting North America to South America, thereby disrupting the mixing of ocean waters between the Atlantic and Pacific. Before that happened, the Earth overall was warmer than it is today.

Sorry, but there is absolutely no way in hell any of these "climate change" alarmists will convince me that man, in just 150 years, can do what billions of years of fire, ice, volcanic ash, lava flows, massive earthquakes, global floods and big rocks from the sky haven't been able to do.

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You see now why he can't win, suit? The anti-science right is strong.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

I am as FAR from "anti-science" as it gets. Just because I don't believe man can pump enough carbon dioxide into the atmosphere to turn it into Venus doesn't mean I'm anti-science, nor does it mean I don't believe we should do whatever is reasonable and necessary to protect our environment.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    I am as FAR from "anti-science" as it gets. Just because I don't believe man can pump enough carbon dioxide into the atmosphere to turn it into Venus doesn't mean I'm anti-science.
    Pro science wouldn't deal with beliefs. You would look at all data and draw conclusions. You certainly wouldn't start with a conclusion and look for any stat that could support it if you squint real hard like some deniers do.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Why are we even discussing Huntsman? The guy got 63 votes in the Iowa straw poll and is DOA in the primary polling. He's not gonna be the nominee. Hell, I've got a better chance of being the Republican nominee and I'm not even running.
    Your choices are Bachmann, Palin, Paul, Perry, and Romney.
    Palin won't run. She hates the daily grind....it's too much work, and learning things is HARD.

The straw poll is about organization of your campaign. And Huntsman skipped campaigning in Iowa and focused on NH. Let's see how he does there before we dismiss him completely...
    Fire Goodell

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Palin won't run. She hates the daily grind....it's too much work, and learning things is HARD.

The straw poll is about organization of your campaign. And Huntsman skipped campaigning in Iowa and focused on NH. Let's see how he does there before we dismiss him completely...
    Oh, Palin's definitely entering the race. She's just running a PR campaign to build up the hype prior to entry.
    And your statement about Huntsman is false. He did campaign in Iowa and had a ground presence at the Iowa straw poll. He was the only Mormon at the straw poll and he came in second among Mormons. He lost to a write-in. Or put another way: If all of his supporters had met at the same Ames, IA Quizno's, the fire marshal would say "sure. That's fine. We've still got some tables open in the back."
    Huntsman is a dead man walking. There's nothing in the polling data to suggest that the people in NH have any idea who he is.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Huntsman would have the best chance in the general. He would be competitive for the undecided middle and while he wouldn't bring out the base in droves with fear tactics. He wouldn't incite a larger turnout in the left either.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Oh, Palin's definitely entering the race. She's just running a PR campaign to build up the hype prior to entry.
    And your statement about Huntsman is false. He did campaign in Iowa and had a ground presence at the Iowa straw poll. He was the only Mormon at the straw poll and he came in second among Mormons. He lost to a write-in. Or put another way: If all of his supporters had met at the same Ames, IA Quizno's, the fire marshal would say "sure. That's fine. We've still got some tables open in the back."
    Huntsman is a dead man walking. There's nothing in the polling data to suggest that the people in NH have any idea who he is.
    Wrong on Huntsman. Man, you guys seriously need to vet your responses.

He won't campaign at all in Iowa because of his view on ethanol (which is also correct...subsidizing ethanol is retarded). Since no one on this board seems to listen to what I say, I'll resort to what I always have to, which is piling up cited resources.

Huntsman skipping caucuses completely:
    http://articles.cnn.com/2011-08-12/p..._s=PM:POLITICS

Huntsman skips straw poll:
    http://www.abc12.com/story/15254956/...type=printable

Huntsman skips Iowa, concentrates on New Hampshire:
    http://macombpolitics.blogspot.com/2...t-of-gate.html

Do I need to go on?

And why do you hate Huntsman?
    Fire Goodell

As for Palin, she has clearly learned nothing in the last 3 years. If anything, she's become even more ignorant of the issues and even more polarizing.

Most importantly, she's become very, very rich.

She'll be happy to absorb as much media coverage as she can get, and play king (or queen) maker. I can pretty much guarantee you she won't run, UNLESS she feels she needs even more pub from the "lamestream media". She HATES the grind of campaigning. She has absolutely no chance of winning, she's dropped like a rock in the polls, and even O'Reilly correctly points out that she is contributing to her own unlikeability by refusing to answer questions (but she will give speeches) or engage with the press. I actually kind of hope she does run, as she will splinter the "I'll-vote-for-a-woman-no-matter-who-she-is" bloc.

Finally, as far as Huntsman goes, at about this same point in 1991, the Democratic front-runners were Bill Bradley, Jesse Jackson, Dick Gephardt, Al Gore and Jay Rockefeller. Bill Clinton wasn't even a blip on the radar. Incidentally, that race had it's own Palin-like figure. Mario Cuomo, who was popular but decided not to run. Also involved in that were Paul Tsongas, Tom Harkin, and Jerry brown, among a few others.

I'm happy to engage in open debate about this stuff, but when we move out of the field of opinion, it's important to get the facts right and have some working knowledge of the subject matter. It's widely, widely known that Huntsman is simply conceding Iowa because of his views on ethanol. Combine that with the prevalence of ultra-right evangelicals (no fans of Mormonism), and it's obvious why Huntsman ignored Iowa.
    Fire Goodell

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vis View Post
    Pro science wouldn't deal with beliefs. You would look at all data and draw conclusions. You certainly wouldn't start with a conclusion and look for any stat that could support it if you squint real hard like some deniers do.
    Like the IPCC, I suppose?

Sorry, one last point about Huntsman. If it really is about jobs and the economy, this is a two-man field. Bachmann did NOTHING as a representative (look it up...she sponsored and/or wrote zero legislation). Romney has executive experience, but his job creation as governor was ranked dead last, and his job increase percent was 47th. Most of his positive numbers were due to a mass exodus of workers during his tenure.

Only Huntsman and Perry can really trumpet their resumes on the economy and job creation. Huntsman will actually appeal to TEA partiers more as Perry has done quite a few things they won't agree with, especially on the immigration front.
    Fire Goodell

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

You see now why he can't win, suit? The anti-science right is strong.
    You mean the garbage in, garbage out science.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    Do you not believe the planet is warming?

Do you not believe the planet is warming?
    It warms, it cools, it warms it cools.

Hows that.

It doesn't matter what the U.S. does as long as China, India, Russia and so on keep pumping out pollution.
    Like I said the so called scientists got caught faking the data. Garbage in, garbage out.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It warms, it cools, it warms it cools.

Hows that.

It doesn't matter what the U.S. does as long as China, India, Russia and so on keep pumping out pollution.
    Like I said the so called scientists got caught faking the data. Garbage in, garbage out.
    Don't vote for Huntsman. You're in that group he doesn't want the GOP to be.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

It is a scientific fact that corn looks the same going in as it does coming out. *Others call it "maize".
    All Defense!

Why does this always devolve the same way?

There is indisputable evidence that the planet is warming. The question is, why?

There is SOME data that humans may have a hand in it. There is SOME data that they they may not. Computer models and the like are notoriously inaccurate, since they can't even get the weather right on a daily basis. The issue isn't even whether the side that is 100% convinced that there IS man-made global warming is right, or the side that is 100% convinced that there is NOT any man-made effect on global warming is right, rather how much should we do about it and at what cost.

Since it's already proven that we could pretty quickly and cheaply counter warming by shooting sulfur (See: Nathan Myhrvold) up into the atmosphere (like a volcano does), why would we hamper our own businesses with a bunch of unfunded mandates that they cannot afford and put them at an even worse disadvantage to a country like China? THAT'S the issue!!!!!
    Fire Goodell

Yes, the planet is warming. No, humans are not the main cause of it like the alarmists believe. The Earth's climate is constantly changing on its own, and sometimes shit just happens. Something the alarmists cannot and will not accept. That's my position, and I'm sticking to it. It still doesn't make me anti-science nor does it mean I don't think we need an energy policy that includes development of so-called "green" energy sources to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. We can do that while still developing and utilizing our own oil and natural gas resources. And, like Suit, I'm really not all giddy about burying businesses under a mountain of regulations and red tape. America has become so anti-business that it's scary, and until that changes, we're going to continue to lose jobs in droves.

Wrong on Huntsman. Man, you guys seriously need to vet your responses.

He won't campaign at all in Iowa because of his view on ethanol (which is also correct...subsidizing ethanol is retarded). Since no one on this board seems to listen to what I say, I'll resort to what I always have to, which is piling up cited resources.

Huntsman skipping caucuses completely:
    http://articles.cnn.com/2011-08-12/p..._s=PM:POLITICS

Huntsman skips straw poll:
    http://www.abc12.com/story/15254956/...type=printable

Huntsman skips Iowa, concentrates on New Hampshire:
    http://macombpolitics.blogspot.com/2...t-of-gate.html

Do I need to go on?

And why do you hate Huntsman?
    After reviewing my map from the straw poll, I stand corrected. He wasn't at the straw poll, but his name was on the ballot.
    And "hate" has nothing to do with it. I dare you to find a poll (any poll) that has Huntsman getting even so much as 5% of the field.
    Checking the RCP website, there has never been any time since he entered the race when he hasn't been dead last by a wide margin. He's getting his ass handed to him by Santorum.
    I've got nothing against him, just as I've got nothing against the Detroit Lions. But his chances of becoming President are about the same as the Lions winning the Superbowl this year. Well... maybe I'm selling the Lions a little short.

And as for your insistence that he's been focusing on NH: If that's true, then he's failed miserably.
    http://nhjournal.com/2011/08/17/poll...80%99t-bounce/

And as for your insistence that he's been focusing on NH: If that's true, then he's failed miserably.
    http://nhjournal.com/2011/08/17/poll...80%99t-bounce/
    Good for you.

But bad for the Country.
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Or backfitting data.

Just curious. Is there any benefit to all these scientsts if the world "buys" into their global warming campaign.....
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Good for you.

But bad for the Country.
    Why do you hate reality? The man may be the best thing since sliced bread, but he's not gonna be President. I don't even understand why we're bothering discussing him.