Thread: Rampant conference realignment could involve Big East and Pitt

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Rampant conference realignment could involve Big East and Pitt

ESPN is reporting that Florida State, Clemson, both members of the Atlantic Coast Conference, and Missouri, of the Big 12, also might bolt to the SEC. The New York Times suggested Virginia Tech, also of the ACC, could be in consideration for SEC membership.
    I know most of you are Pitt fans and this article talks about them but my Hokies are probably facing a dilemma. After years of trying to get in the ACC, they finally got in a few years ago. Now, the SEC may be courting them.

http://communityvoices.sites.post-ga...-east-and-pitt

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

Re: Rampant conference realignment could involve Big East and Pitt

Unfortunately, this is the way college football is going.

Super conferences is the way things are headed. And the Big 12 might not even make it through, because it seems that they are constantly being pillaged.

One conference pillages schools from another. That conference pillages schools from a smaller conference.

The Big 10, ACC, SEC, Big East, and Pac 12 might end up as 16 team super conferences.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

Been saying it for days now, the ACC needs to pillage the best schools from the Big East before some other conference does...

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

Big East won't survive if there are superconferences. Small conference with a few bottom feeders...and very easy to raid.

Pitt, Cuse, and UConn to the ACC (good basketball, expanded territory/TV sets). Rutgers to the Big Ten. Sucks to be USF, WV, UL, and Cincy. Big East would have to expand all the way to Kansas and K-State, plus raid Conference USA to survive. The more likely scenario would be that it gets out of the football business and becomes the Catholic League in other sports.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by BigNastyDefense View Post
    Unfortunately, this is the way college football is going.

Super conferences is the way things are headed. And the Big 12 might not even make it through, because it seems that they are constantly being pillaged.

One conference pillages schools from another. That conference pillages schools from a smaller conference.

The Big 10, ACC, SEC, Big East, and Pac 12 might end up as 16 team super conferences.
    I know a lot of people don't like that idea, but that is actually a good way to eventually get a fair playoff format for the championship.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Big East won't survive if there are superconferences. Small conference with a few bottom feeders...and very easy to raid.

Pitt, Cuse, and UConn to the ACC (good basketball, expanded territory/TV sets). Rutgers to the Big Ten. Sucks to be USF, WV, UL, and Cincy. Big East would have to expand all the way to Kansas and K-State, plus raid Conference USA to survive. The more likely scenario would be that it gets out of the football business and becomes the Catholic League in other sports.
    The Big East should survive because they can leverage their basketball power. The Big East needs to get off it's butt and go after some of those Big 12 teams. OK, you say I am crazy. Maybe? But if the big East would dangle inclusion in basketball in front of some of those teams, that, and the fact that playing in the Big East means big city tv markets, might be enough to bring in some schools. With TCU already coming, adding a few more teams in the south central part of the country is not a problem. I know there are too many basketball teams already in the Big East, but if they could pick up two more quality teams from the Big 12 it would be worth it, imo.

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

This thing has got me so worried that at this point I really don't care who the ACC adds as long as it doesn't get destroyed....

The thought of the Big Four NC schools being in any conference other than the ACC is sickening...

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...ks-source-says

The Atlantic Coast Conference has been approached by at least 10 schools about possible membership, a group that includes the Big East's Pitt and Syracuse, both of which have tendered letters of application, a high-ranking ACC official said Saturday morning.

-----------------------------------------

Please get this done Swofford. These are 2 of the best choices from the BE...

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

How much scarier would ACC basketball be if they were to add 'Cuse and Pitt? That would put both schools deep into markets that they have had little exposure to. Not to mention Pitt would make the football better in the ACC also.

I'm surprised by this. The ACC is probably the only other conference that Pitt basketball would not be upset about moving to. This could shift the power balance in college basketball.

Shenaniguy Array title="kmsteelerwr15 is on a distinguished road"> kmsteelerwr15's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneforthetoe View Post
    I know a lot of people don't like that idea, but that is actually a good way to eventually get a fair playoff format for the championship.
    That is the only reason I would support these super-conferences. I remember Tony Kornheiser saying that he thinks the super-conferences will succeed from the NCAA to start a playoff.

So Pitt, PSU and WVU would all be in separate conferences?

What I was hoping for, if the Big East were to get torn apart, is that the Big 10 would go after Pitt so the Pitt-PSU rivalry could be brought back.

I would have also supported them going after WVU, but I don't know if they are a research university, since that is a prerequisite to joining the conference.

Quote Originally Posted by oneforthetoe View Post
    So Pitt, PSU and WVU would all be in separate conferences?

I would bet that the ACC would not take WVU unless they had no other choice. The ACC values academics and WVU's academics are dreadful.

Banned Array title="Spike is just really nice">

WVU - (#165 in college grade point averages) just got shot down by the SEC & ACC.

The Drunken Hillbilly girls smell gold, so they brush their hair, wash their teeth and fire up the tractor and head to the Big City to woo the city slickers in their fast cars and fancy suits.

"Gosh darn it Blanch, I wanna belong in one of them hot conferences too!"

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

I really had no idea WVU was that bad academically. They have REALLY gone downhill since I left in 1995. They may have to settle for being the anchor school in a reconfigured Big East, apply to a lesser conference like Conference USA or go independent.

Quote Originally Posted by BigNastyDefense View Post
    What I was hoping for, if the Big East were to get torn apart, is that the Big 10 would go after Pitt so the Pitt-PSU rivalry could be brought back.

I would have also supported them going after WVU, but I don't know if they are a research university, since that is a prerequisite to joining the conference.
    Penn St. to the ACC? I dont know if its true or not, but I have heard that Penn St. has felt like outsiders ever since joining the Big 10.