Thread: Roethlisberger missed out on opportunity at camp

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Roethlisberger missed out on opportunity at camp

http://www.yorkdispatch.com/sports/ci_15354374

Roethlisberger missed out on opportunity at camp
    By KEVIN GORMAN The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
    Updated: 06/22/2010 11:26:32 PM EDT

With Mike Tomlin serving as moderator, football campers were free to ask anything of special guest Heath Miller.
    The Steelers' Pro Bowl tight end must have been caught off-guard by one question:

Do you have a bodyguard?

Ben Roethlisberger's name is no longer associated with what is now known as the Coach Tomlin Football Camp, but it was a telling display of the damage Roethlisberger has done to his reputation.

Kids know that Roethlisberger has been run through the wringer since March 5, when -- in the company of two law-enforcement officers serving as bodyguards -- he was accused of (but not charged with) sexually assaulting a 20-year-old woman at a nightclub in Milledgeville, Ga.

Miller handled it deftly, asking, "No ... are you looking to help me out?"

After relying on self-serving, sit-down interviews with hand-picked local television stations, Roethlisberger could have used the camp to begin repairing his image in front of his most impressionable fans.

Instead, Monday was another example of the Steelers covering for their franchise quarterback amid the chronicling of boorish behavior that recently brought Roethlisberger a No. 3 ranking in a Forbes magazine poll of the most-hated men in sports.

"This is normally a camp that Ben does," Miller said. "Obviously, he wasn't able to do it this year, so we'll all step in and pick up the slack for him."

The move to replace Roethlisberger with Tomlin and rename the camp was fallout from the conditional

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    six-game suspension the NFL handed Roethlisberger in April after two sexual assault accusations in nine months.
    It was a collective decision, one that served both the interests of the sponsors and Roethlisberger's charitable foundation, over concerns that parents would resist sending their children to a camp run by the Steelers quarterback. It's one that apparently is killing Roethlisberger, who is said to love the camp but was advised that the wounds still were too fresh.

They found a good replacement in Tomlin.

The 38-year-old father of three bounced from drill to drill and playfully interacted with the campers, ages 7-14 -- including his two sons -- at Mars High School.

"Are you kidding? I coach kids every day because I've got three waiting in the driveway for me when I get home from work, two of which are out here," Tomlin said. "We're parents first. What I do is what I do. Dad is who I am. Working with kids is a passion of mine. I happen to get a lot of work at it, a lot of opportunity to get better at it. We're doing that here."

The Steelers coach said he was only baby-sitting, that it was his "full intention" for Roethlisberger to headline the camp next year, and he objected to an assertion that the switch was meant to rehabilitate the Steelers' image.

"We're not interested in rehabilitation," Tomlin said. "We're just interested in doing what's right by these young folks. We're looking forward to these three days. I'm glad to be a part of it.

"This really has nothing to do with what's going on with us professionally as a football team or organization."

That's the shame of it, really.

Too often we put professional athletes on a pedestal, only to pounce upon their mistakes when learning from them would be more beneficial. It's understandable that no one wants to be associated with negative publicity when it's easier for companies to distance themselves from trouble.

But what kind of message does that send?

The youth football camp would have been the perfect venue for Roethlisberger to show some accountability by making himself available to young Steelers fans. What was lost was a chance to humanize Roethlisberger, to let him show children the lesson of admitting that we all make mistakes and the importance of picking yourself up after falling down.

"Hopefully," Miller said, "this will be a lasting experience for these kids that they'll remember for awhile."

No doubt they will.

You just wonder what kind of message was sent.

If the campers ever get in trouble, will they show up and answer for it or expect someone else to step in and pick up the slack?

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Re: Roethlisberger missed out on opportunity at camp

And if he goes, another news source bashes him for being a distraction (Which is what he would have been).

He'll have plenty of time to rehab his image. No need to rush into it now if he's being advised not to.

AKA Bullet Tooth Tony Array title="tony hipchest will become famous soon enough">

i agree with the article.

roger goodell is a dick. ben laying low and keeping his nose clean isnt going to get his 6 game suspension reduced. ben already told him he will be a good boy before the suspension was served. all that will do is prevent the commish from tacking on additional games or the entire season.

in order for him to get his suspension reduced, he has some serious ass kissing to do. i definitely dont agree and think its sucks that roger wants to see these players grovel, but it is what it is. ben is gonna have to put on that show, sooner rather than later.

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

Turns out, Big Ben did show up at the camp. Tomlin probably wanted it unannounced so there wouldn't be a huge media hoard.

Also, there's no problem with having bodyguards. While I don't mind players carrying firearms (as long as they do so via legal means), a bodyguard is a good idea too.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

AKA Bullet Tooth Tony Array title="tony hipchest will become famous soon enough">

Turns out, Big Ben did show up at the camp. Tomlin probably wanted it unannounced so there wouldn't be a huge media hoard.
    thats good to hear and well orchestrated if thats how it went down.

as hypocritical or extreme as it may seem, ben is gonna need to meet with several groups of kids and preach abstinence and saying no to drugs and booze, to make roger feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
    thats good to hear and well orchestrated if thats how it went down.

as hypocritical or extreme as it may seem, ben is gonna need to meet with several groups of kids and preach abstinence and saying no to drugs and booze, to make roger feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
    And then Ben will get labeled a hypocrite and everyone will say he's just saying that to get his suspension reduced and he doesn't mean it.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

The youth football camp would have been the perfect venue for Roethlisberger to show some accountability by making himself available to young Steelers fans. What was lost was a chance to humanize Roethlisberger, to let him show children the lesson of admitting that we all make mistakes and the importance of picking yourself up after falling down.
    Seeing as how Ben actually did make a surprise visit, I wonder what the chances are that this jackass acknowledges that? I'd bet slim to none.

Quote Originally Posted by BigNastyDefense View Post
    And then Ben will get labeled a hypocrite and everyone will say he's just saying that to get his suspension reduced and he doesn't mean it.
    mike vick told school children dog fighting was bad.

i dont care what ben is labeled as, as long as it gets his suspension reduced from 6 games to 4.

it is what it is. goodell made the rules. rooney and tomlin are going along with them. ben must play by them.

Senior Member Array title="Shea is an unknown quantity at this point"> Shea's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
    in order for him to get his suspension reduced, he has some serious ass kissing to do. i definitely dont agree and think its sucks that roger wants to see these players grovel, but it is what it is. ben is gonna have to put on that show, sooner rather than later.
    I don't agree with that.

If Ben continues with the program set forth by Goodell when handing out the suspension, than all Ben needs to do is follow that program and in the meantime keep his nose clean and he'll be back after four games.

Ben doesn't need to grovel or kiss ass, he just needs to "get it" - and I think he has.