Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Update: Steelers sign Jerricho Cotchery to one-year deal

Steeler Nation Array title="O'Malley will become famous soon enough"> O'Malley's Avatar

Re: Update: Steelers sign Jerricho Cotchery to one-year deal

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    One other thought. Don't know if it's been mentioned yet.

Maybe we're looking to him as a punt returner? In that Randle El role last year where he'll come in when backed up in our own zone to judge when to fair catch, let the ball go, etc.

If he winds up being the number five receiver, which is what Gerry Dulac suggested today and is very possible, he'll need to be able to do as much as possible to make the signing worth while.
    That's exactly what I've been thinking.... He'll at least be better then a fair catch every time!

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by O'Malley View Post
    That's exactly what I've been thinking.... He'll at least be better then a fair catch every time!
    Dn't undervalue the importance of that. The last thing you want is a rookie making a bone-headed mistake and pin the offense deep in its territory or worse, turn it over.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

One other thought. Don't know if it's been mentioned yet.

Maybe we're looking to him as a punt returner? In that Randle El role last year where he'll come in when backed up in our own zone to judge when to fair catch, let the ball go, etc.

If he winds up being the number five receiver, which is what Gerry Dulac suggested today and is very possible, he'll need to be able to do as much as possible to make the signing worth while.

Good point, JC has decent stats (not a lot) as a PR. And he doesn't FC every punt.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Good point, JC has decent stats (not a lot) as a PR. And he doesn't FC every punt.
    In that role, stats won't matter. Just being a vet and having experience back there is really what counts.

Black and Gold Lantern Array title="The Duke is just really nice"> The Duke's Avatar

Dn't undervalue the importance of that. The last thing you want is a rookie making a bone-headed mistake and pin the offense deep in its territory or worse, turn it over.
    well it's not going to be a rookie anymore.If antonio is back there (and I expect him to win that job) it's because they trust him to make the smart decision

but you're right, that is another area where Cotch could help us. If antonio does not mature in that area then just use him and save us the trouble. Once upon a time he was a good returner too
    "We're a team. There's no offense. There's no defense. There's no special teams. We're one. We're a band of brothers." – Ben Roethlisberger

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    well it's not going to be a rookie anymore.If antonio is back there (and I expect him to win that job) it's because they trust him to make the smart decision

but you're right, that is another area where Cotch could help us. If antonio does not mature in that area then just use him and save us the trouble. Once upon a time he was a good returner too
    Brown may be the usual punt returner but it seems like you have to gain a lot of Tomlin's trust for that role. We've seen Moore and El be the guy the past two years despite being marginal return men.

Black and Gold Lantern Array title="The Duke is just really nice"> The Duke's Avatar

Brown may be the usual punt returner but it seems like you have to gain a lot of Tomlin's trust for that role. We've seen Moore and El be the guy the past two years despite being marginal return men.
    hopefully he earns that trust

can't remember at the moment, did brown make any boneheaded move on a return last year? I think I remember El making one, but he was out there much more than brown
    "We're a team. There's no offense. There's no defense. There's no special teams. We're one. We're a band of brothers." – Ben Roethlisberger

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

In that role, stats won't matter. Just being a vet and having experience back there is really what counts.
    I'm looking at FC's mainly. And if he has the right "feel" of when to return and when to FC. Sorry, but EL did not have a good feel of being a PR. As a matter of fact, he declined from his first stint here. Maybe he was told to FC no matter what but there were times when he called for a FC before anyone was even 15 yds away, if that.

Oh, his PR avg for 2010 = 4.0 - Pitiful. Casey Hampton could fall down and roll his way to 5 yds per PR

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    hopefully he earns that trust

can't remember at the moment, did brown make any boneheaded move on a return last year? I think I remember El making one, but he was out there much more than brown
    I know there was at least one where he tried to pick up a bouncing ball and Anthony Madison had to bail him out and got hurt in the process.

He was smart overall no doubt helped by the ton of return experience at Central Michigan. But like I said, it's a role that seems to be reserved for NFL veterans.