Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Update: Steelers sign Jerricho Cotchery to one-year deal

Senior Member Array title="BlastFurnace will become famous soon enough"> BlastFurnace's Avatar

Update: Steelers sign Jerricho Cotchery to one-year deal

www.rotoworld.com

The Carroll County Times' Aaron Wilson reports free agent WR Jerricho Cotchery will visit the Steelers on Sunday.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Re: Jericho Cotchery visiting Steelers on Sunday

WR seems to be pretty set for us. Guess we just want to take a look at him. Maybe it's to get some guys on speed dial? Though I have to think Cotchery will sign somewhere before camp ends.

Banned Array title="steelerfan is an unknown quantity at this point">

Actually that would be GREAT! Yes I agree our WR core is NOT the problem that alot of posters here said it is when they were courting Plaxico. But Cotchery IS a very good WR who does alot of the little things. If he checks out physically, I would like him on our team. Would be the perfect player to PUNK the Jets

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

I also think the rats will look at him as well and, especially if Mason signs with the Jets. I like the wr's we have.

Senior Member Array title="BlastFurnace will become famous soon enough"> BlastFurnace's Avatar

Originally, the tweet said that he was coming in for a physical on Sunday, but he changed it.

Quote Originally Posted by steel striker View Post
    I also think the rats will look at him as well and, especially if Mason signs with the Jets. I like the wr's we have.
    Mason just tweeted that he is signing with the Jets.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Actually that would be GREAT! Yes I agree our WR core is NOT the problem that alot of posters here said it is when they were courting Plaxico. But Cotchery IS a very good WR who does alot of the little things. If he checks out physically, I would like him on our team. Would be the perfect player to PUNK the Jets
    Orrrr....people just wanted a wide receiver with past success on the team. You know, the same way you feel about Cotchery?
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

With Sweed hurting his shoulder today, I think all the clamoring for him will end in a week or two when he is gone. The wildcard in this entire thing is the health of Sanders.

Black and Gold Lantern Array title="The Duke is just really nice"> The Duke's Avatar

Why?

Cotch was one of my favorite receivers in the league from 06-08. He was never afraid to go over the middle and had some speed to go with it. But he's lost both of those things in the past few years, and was more noticeable than ever last season

Perhaps he needs a change of scenery, but other than Sanders' injury been longer than anticipated I don't see how he brings something we don't have already
    "We're a team. There's no offense. There's no defense. There's no special teams. We're one. We're a band of brothers." – Ben Roethlisberger

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Orrrr....people just wanted just liked a wide receiver with passed success on the team. You know, the same way you feel about Cotchery?

You're comparing Plax with Cotchery ? Are you serious ? A WR who has actually PLAYED the past 3 seasons, and who is young and a TEAM player, and who ISN'T a reaccuring actor on the show " Cops "!! You act like Burress is some sort of GOD who has put up Hall of fame numbers. When in fact he is a LAZY, Malcontented WR who our management couldn't wait to get rid of.

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    Why?

Cotch was one of my favorite receivers in the league from 06-08. He was never afraid to go over the middle and had some speed to go with it. But he's lost both of those things in the past few years, and was more noticeable than ever last season

Perhaps he needs a change of scenery, but other than Sanders' injury been longer than anticipated I don't see how he brings something we don't have already
    Problem is, Sanders was slated to be the #3 this year and the #2 for Hines if he misses any time. In all reality, we have no idea what kind of season Sanders will produce because this foot problem could be something that lasts the entire year. Signing Cotchery, even to a one year deal, would allow the Steelers to keep Sanders on the bench as long as needed and not feel the need to rush him back on the field.

I'm not sold on Brown yet because of the notes that he still is having issues with the playbook.

Quote Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
    Problem is, Sanders was slated to be the #3 this year and the #2 for Hines if he misses any time. In all reality, we have no idea what kind of season Sanders will produce because this foot problem could be something that lasts the entire year. Signing Cotchery, even to a one year deal, would allow the Steelers to keep Sanders on the bench as long as needed and not feel the need to rush him back on the field.

I'm not sold on Brown yet because of the notes that he still is having issues with the playbook.

Maybe you are right. Me, personally I think they want a little more experience early on, when we play some of our tougher schedule. And, don't wanna ASSume anything but what if Ward went down ? Cotchery is alot like Hines. As is, it's still a long shot we sign him. But if we do, I don't see how it could hurt. We will carry 7 WR anyways,,Battle will likely be one, but will count as a special teams player, so that's really 6 WR. And if Sweed shows nothing, and is let go, that leaves only the 34 year old Hines, Wallace, and Sanders and Brown. So yeah, why not look at him at least.

Maybe you are right. Me, personally I think they want a little more experience early on, when we play some of our tougher schedule. And, don't wanna ASSume anything but what if Ward went down ? Cotchery is alot like Hines. As is, it's still a long shot we sign him. But if we do, I don't see how it could hurt. We will carry 7 WR anyways,,Battle will likely be one, but will count as a special teams player, so that's really 6 WR. And if Sweed shows nothing, and is let go, that leaves only the 34 year old Hines, Wallace, and Sanders and Brown. So yeah, why not look at him at least.
    I wonder how much cap room we have to sign him.

In practice, Jonathan Scott and Foster have been carted off too. Sweed hurt his shoulder. No telling where this cap space will need to go.

Senior Member Array title="7willBheaven is on a distinguished road"> 7willBheaven's Avatar

Depending on where they are with the cap...and how Sanders is coming along...I'd have no problem at all bringing him in...as long as its a reasonable deal.

Senior Member Array title="Nadroj 20 is just really nice"> Nadroj 20's Avatar

That was a lot of our point about Plex! And at the time he was the only WR we were interested in for whatever reason so some of us was willing to look past the fact he is older and has been out of the game. Back then if it was between Jericho and Plex? I may have leaned more toward Jericho because of the very same factors you pointed out, but that wasn't the sitaution. It was only about Plex at the time.

So I am in the same boat with Jericho...why not bring him in and see what he looks like?
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"
    ~Rest In Peace HometownGal~

I was never sold on Plax coming back other than for nastalgia reasons. We already went that route last year with ARE and it didn't work out. Cotchery, if he signs, will be a much better option.

Yeah but, with Floyd re-signing in San Diego. And Mason now a Jet for sure. And with the Ravens DESPERATELY needing a Vet WR, I might think that Cotchery signs with Baltimore if the money is basically the same. If for no other reason that he will get more guaranteed play time.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Yeah but, with Floyd re-signing in San Diego. And Mason now a Jet for sure. And with the Ravens DESPERATELY needing a Vet WR, I might think that Cotchery signs with Baltimore if the money is basically the same. If for no other reason that he will get more guaranteed play time.
    QFT.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

where is he going to play?

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    WR seems to be pretty set for us. Guess we just want to take a look at him. Maybe it's to get some guys on speed dial? Though I have to think Cotchery will sign somewhere before camp ends.
    I just am wondering how WR seems set to you? Hines Ward (aging) and Mike Wallace are our only sure guys. Then we have Sanders (foot?) and Brown who I have been hearing has problems with the playbook? I guess I do not know that for sure but I have been hearing about it.

Even if Sanders wasn't hurt and Brown was catching on fine they are still very very young. Are we really ready to depend on those young guys when we can possibly bring in a veteran? I don't know that we are. They have a ton of potential but potential, as you know, isn't everything.

I don't really think it is crazy to think Jericho could come in and beat out Brown for the #4 spot.

Senior Member Array title="7willBheaven is on a distinguished road"> 7willBheaven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nadroj 20 View Post
    I just am wondering how WR seems set to you? Hines Ward (aging) and Mike Wallace are our only sure guys. Then we have Sanders (foot?) and Brown who I have been hearing has problems with the playbook? I guess I do not know that for sure but I have been hearing about it.

Even if Sanders wasn't hurt and Brown was catching on fine they are still very very young. Are we really ready to depend on those young guys when we can possibly bring in a veteran? I don't know that we are. They have a ton of potential but potential, as you know, isn't everything.

I don't really think it is crazy to think Jericho could come in and beat out Brown for the #4 spot.
    I've never heard anything about Brown having issues...all I've been hearing is that he's really come along...added some muscle/bulk or something and has been doing quite well in camp...and seems to be building that "connection" with Ben on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by 7willBheaven View Post
    I've never heard anything about Brown having issues...all I've been hearing is that he's really come along...added some muscle/bulk or something and has been doing quite well in camp...and seems to be building that "connection" with Ben on the field.

That's exactly what I have read, and personally heard from Tomlin. Again, all those reports about Brown were written by the " PRO-PLAXICO " weenies who were trying to absolute their reasons for signing Plaxico. It's ridiculous. Antonio has been nothing but clutch. And knows our offense, and the play book better then Ward does.

Quote Originally Posted by 7willBheaven View Post
    I think it was in the twitter thread I read someone talking about Ben having to tell Brown where to go once, but you are right he is probably fine. I was partially asking by posting that as well because I did not know how valid they were

He is still young though and I don't think bringing a veteran in will hurt.

That's exactly what I have read, and personally heard from Tomlin. Again, all those reports about Brown were written by the " PRO-PLAXICO " weenies who were trying to absolute their reasons for signing Plaxico. It's ridiculous. Antonio has been nothing but clutch. And knows our offense, and the play book better then Ward does.
    Please do explain. not saying you are wrong or lying just interesting to know that story.

Please do explain. not saying you are wrong or lying just interesting to know that story.

On 93.7 AM radio. Tomlin noted that both Brown, and Wallace were both in outstanding shape, and were doing well in the early practices.

On 93.7 AM radio. Tomlin noted that both Brown, and Wallace were both in outstanding shape, and were doing well in the early practices.
    Ok when you said "personally" I though somehow you talked to Tomlin yourself and that would have been a cool story. If that is the case then those rumors about him not catching on are very wrong.

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

I dont think we really need cotchery, I dont see where he fits and what part of our offense he would improve. The guy is coming off the pup list for a back injury, hes not explosive, hes not fast, hes not big, and hes really not that productive. For his career hes played in 103 games he has 358 rec 18 tds and 4514 yds , doesnt exactly blow my hair back. If they want to give him a roster spot to be a back up to one of our young guns im ok with that, but to compare him to plaxico or even ward is a crazy because he is not in that league. You might not like plex but dont try and tell me that cotchery is a better pick up, especially when the team letting him go is the same team that signed plex.

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

I think it would be an excellent move. With Sweed injured and likely out for a extended period of time, and Sanders with the nagging foot injury we could really use someone who has experience and is not afraid to go over the middle for a catch.
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Like Sweed out for good. I like Cotchery as insurance if Ward got injured...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

I only see us dressing five receivers on gameday. And correct me if I'm wrong, but that's all we carried on the fifty-three last year. Your five are.

Ward, Wallace, Sanders, Brown, and Battle

I realize that we don't have the greatest WR core, it's probably a bit overrated by fans to be completely honest, but there's no room to put someone without cutting someone else. And there's no one to cut.