Thread: 2011 Maui Invitational

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

2011 Maui Invitational

This tournament is gonna be awesome. This is easily the best field for an early season tournament that I have ever seen.

For those who don't know, here is the field:

Chaminade
    Duke
    Georgetown
    Kansas
    Memphis
    Michigan
    UCLA
    Tennessee

Pretty good teams huh?

The bracket was announced today.

THE BRACKET

Quarterfinals, Nov. 21

Memphis vs. Michigan

Duke vs. Tennessee

UCLA vs. Chaminade

Kansas vs. Georgetown

Semifinals, Nov. 22

Memphis-Michigan winner vs. Duke-Tennessee winner

UCLA-Chaminade winner vs. Kansas-Georgetown winner

Final, Nov. 23

Semifinal winners

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...#ixzz1U6OT8uDu

Really excited about not only the NFL, but college basketball too. Man I love this time of year!!!

Senior Member Array title="Nadroj 20 is just really nice"> Nadroj 20's Avatar

Re: 2011 Maui Invitational

I'm picking Chaminade

Those are good solid teams. I can't wait for college ball either, I'm going to a MAC school so I'll be keeping up with some of the small conference games this year and I can't wait.
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"
    ~Rest In Peace HometownGal~

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nadroj 20 View Post
    I'm picking Chaminade

Those are good solid teams. I can't wait for college ball either, I'm going to a MAC school so I'll be keeping up with some of the small conference games this year and I can't wait.
    I have forgotten since last season ended, are you a Pitt fan?

I went to a small conference school as well, UND-Greensboro in the Southern Conference. I went to a lot of basketball games as a freshman when they were competitive. Then they sucked for 3 years and I hardly ever went. Last year when UNC-G played Duke I went to the game wearing all of my Duke stuff. And I sat in the front row of the student section too! I planned it all out so that the Duke players would be coming out of the tunnel me and my girlfriend were beside. I talked to Seth Curry before the game and after the game I slapped all the players hands and Coach K's too. And that was the game that Coach K passed Dean Smith in all time wins too. Epic Night...

So my point is maybe you're favorite team will play a game at your small school and you can do what I did!

About the Maui Invitational, Duke was offered to play Chaminade, but Coach K declined it. 4 of those teams will be ranked in the top 25 to start the year... I would bet on it. Will be hard for Duke to win it. Hope they can. We have been in the Maui Invitational 4 times before and have won it every year.

Quote Originally Posted by steeldevil View Post
    I have forgotten since last season ended, are you a Pitt fan?

I went to a small conference school as well, UND-Greensboro in the Southern Conference. I went to a lot of basketball games as a freshman when they were competitive. Then they sucked for 3 years and I hardly ever went. Last year when UNC-G played Duke I went to the game wearing all of my Duke stuff. And I sat in the front row of the student section too! I planned it all out so that the Duke players would be coming out of the tunnel me and my girlfriend were beside. I talked to Seth Curry before the game and after the game I slapped all the players hands and Coach K's too. And that was the game that Coach K passed Dean Smith in all time wins too. Epic Night...

So my point is maybe you're favorite team will play a game at your small school and you can do what I did!

About the Maui Invitational, Duke was offered to play Chaminade, but Coach K declined it. 4 of those teams will be ranked in the top 25 to start the year... I would bet on it. Will be hard for Duke to win it. Hope they can. We have been in the Maui Invitational 4 times before and have won it every year.
    Good memory I am a Pitt fan. I follow Ohio State some too, but my true loyalty has to go to Pitt.

My favorite player is Stephen Curry and I also like Seth so that would have been pretty cool to meet him. did you get to see Davidson and Curry any when you were there since they are southern conference too?

But yeah I'll be hoping to see some good games this year. I'll be going to every home game for basketball and football.

Good memory I am a Pitt fan. I follow Ohio State some too, but my true loyalty has to go to Pitt.

My favorite player is Stephen Curry and I also like Seth so that would have been pretty cool to meet him. did you get to see Davidson and Curry any when you were there since they are southern conference too?

But yeah I'll be hoping to see some good games this year. I'll be going to every home game for basketball and football.
    Yes I saw Stephen Curry play against UNC-G in tiny Fleming Gymnasium my freshman year. (UNC-G just moved into the Greensboro Coliseum last year.) That year was the year Curry really got well known and the year Davidson almost made the final four. They also didn't lose a Southern Conference game that year. UNC-G was winning by 20 at halftime. We were chanting "Daddy's better" and "Who's your daddy?" at Curry. Davidson came back and won. Curry scored like 43. It was awesome to watch. And then after the game was over it started to snow(doesn't snow very often here, only like 1-3 times a winter) so nobody really cared about the game anymore. I was on the front row too, like 8 feet from the court. We were yelling at Curry and everything. Very fun and great to have seen him play up close.

Quote Originally Posted by steeldevil View Post
    Yes I saw Stephen Curry play against UNC-G in tiny Fleming Gymnasium my freshman year. (UNC-G just moved into the Greensboro Coliseum last year.) That year was the year Curry really got well known and the year Davidson almost made the final four. They also didn't lose a Southern Conference game that year. UNC-G was winning by 20 at halftime. We were chanting "Daddy's better" and "Who's your daddy?" at Curry. Davidson came back and won. Curry scored like 43. It was awesome to watch. And then after the game was over it started to snow(doesn't snow very often here, only like 1-3 times a winter) so nobody really cared about the game anymore. I was on the front row too, like 8 feet from the court. We were yelling at Curry and everything. Very fun and great to have seen him play up close.
    Thats freaking awesome!! That environment in a smaller gym must have been even cooler then in a big gym!!

Thats freaking awesome!! That environment in a smaller gym must have been even cooler then in a big gym!!
    Well it was nothing like Cameron Indoor, but yeah that was the best environment for any UNC-G game I ever went to. The Duke - UNCG game at the coliseum was a UNCG home game, but it was at least 90% Duke fans. Probably 95%.

Senior Member Array title="Pittsburgh43 is an unknown quantity at this point"> Pittsburgh43's Avatar

Very tough tournament. Duke and Kansas are always perrennial contenders for the National Championship. Memphis and Georgetown have been contenders recently. And Michigan and UCLA both made the tourney this past year and are on the rise. It'll be an interesting season though for Tennessee. They started out hot, even defeating Pitt @ Consol, and then they just fell apart. Then, the disastrous season ended when the school fired Coach Pearl.

I look for it to be Duke v. Kansas in the finals. Watch out for Austin Rivers (Duke), kid's gonna be a star.

Very tough tourney. Should be very entertaining. I think Duke will destroy Tennessee. I would hope so anyway since Pearl is gone now. Their program should be in disarray. Then Memphis or Michigan. Two very different teams. Memphis is very athletic and Michigan runs a slowdown offense that they almost beat Duke with in last years NCAAs. Kansas or UCLA are about even odds to come out of the other side IMO. UCLA returns some guys and Kansas has a great coach.

Austin Rivers will be great. Will only be at Duke 1 year though. Guy has an attitude problem though, he is very confident and cocky. He will be the most hated Dukie since JJ. I guarantee it.

I saw a high school game of Austin Rivers and he actually didn't have a good game and didn't impress me at all but still had like 30 points.

I can't imagine when he is actually on and playing good! I probably saw is one down game of the year and he still did better then most people.

I saw a high school game of Austin Rivers and he actually didn't have a good game and didn't impress me at all but still had like 30 points.

I can't imagine when he is actually on and playing good! I probably saw is one down game of the year and he still did better then most people.
    In high school he took a good majority of his team's shots. He will have to learn to score off less attempts at Duke. He has tons of talent so I expect he will be fine. He will probably still take the most attempts at Duke too.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...i-invitational

Here is a write up by ESPN about the tournament.