Thread: Camp Confidential: Pittsburgh Steelers

Hybrid View

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Camp Confidential: Pittsburgh Steelers

The opening of training camp was business as usual for the reigning AFC champion Pittsburgh Steelers. Despite several offseason incidents that ranged from Hines Ward's arrest to Rashard Mendenhall's misuse of Twitter to James Harrison ripping commissioner Roger Goodell and teammates, players quickly deflected any issues and seemed genuinely happy to get back to work.

The Steelers believe their off-the-field problems are a thing of the past, and the team is ready to move forward and attempt to make another title run in 2011.

"Any time we come to training camp, our goal is the Super Bowl," Ward said. "Anything less than the Super Bowl is a down year for us. Having experienced and tasted a loss in the Super Bowl is not a good feeling. So, hopefully we can get back there and come out on the winning side."

The Steelers have a lot of work to do before the start of the regular season. Here are some early questions:

Three Hot Issues

1. How will the Steelers get under the cap?

According to the new collective bargaining agreement, the Steelers have until Thursday to get under the $120 million salary cap. Despite a flurry of roster moves last week, Pittsburgh remains about $7-$10 million over, which is where the team started this summer...........

Read more @ http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...burgh-steelers

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Re: Camp Confidential: Pittsburgh Steelers

Pouncey already looks scary good in his second season. In my seven years covering the NFL, I've never seen a center who moves as well and fluid as Pouncey. Last week, longtime NFL writer Damon Hack of Sports Illustrated and I were sitting next to each other watching Pittsburgh's conditioning evaluation. We were amazed with how easily Pouncey, who is listed at 304 pounds, was running 100-yard sprints, while the rest of the linemen were lagging far behind. Pound for pound, Pouncey is easily one of the top athletes on the Steelers.