Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers interested in Unga?

Senior Member Array title="7willBheaven is on a distinguished road"> 7willBheaven's Avatar

Steelers interested in Unga?

NFL | Several teams believed to be interested in Harvey Unga

Mon, 21 Jun 2010 14:57:58 -0400
    Brigham Young RB Harvey Unga is believed to be drawing interest from the St. Louis Rams, Kansas City Chiefs and Pittsburgh Steelers, reports Mike Berardino, of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. Unga is eligible to be selected in the NFL supplemental draft.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz0rbf0nmIt

Anybody know anything about this guy? Do you think they'd give up a pick in next years draft (I think sometimes it can be a higher pick too) to get this guy or what?

SteelerSal

Re: Steelers interested in Unga?

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/cv...p?Player=58715

Guy has a 5 yard average during his college career.

SteelerSal

Here is his player bio at BYU.

http://www.byucougars.com/Profile.jsp?ID=2486

Be worth bringing in, IMO.

SteelerSal

The guy can find the endzone and he also can be a pretty good reciever out of the backfield.

Statistics
    Rushing
    YEAR GP ATT YDS AVG TD LONG
    2006 3 4 9 2.3 1 -
    2007 13 244 1227 5.0 13 44
    2008 13 240 1132 4.7 11 40
    2009 12 208 1087 5.2 11 52
    TOTAL 41 696 3455 5.0 36 52

CAREER HIGHS
    CARRIES: 26 (AT SDSU; OCT. 17, 2009)
    YARDS: 177 (AT UNLV; OCT. 13, 2007)
    TD: 3 (THREE TIMES)
    LONG: 52 (AT UNLV; OCT. 10, 2009)

Receiving
    YEAR REC YDS AVG TD LONG
    2007 44 655 14.9 4 53
    2008 42 309 7.4 4 19
    2009 16 121 7.6 1 28
    TOTAL 102 1085 10.6 9 53

I'm not a good research then post, type of person so I just added 3 consecutive posts to my post count.

Senior Member Array title="7willBheaven is on a distinguished road"> 7willBheaven's Avatar

Not bad...just depends what round in the supplemental draft he would go in. Because my understanding of the Supp Draft is whatever round you pick a player in you loose that pick in the real draft next year. I would not want to loose any early draft picks (rounds 1-4 I'd say) on a guy who may not even make the team. If he went undrafted in the Supp Draft then ok...bring him in as an UDFA...but its not worth loosing a pick in the main draft next year at all.

Senior Member Array title="Nadroj 20 is just really nice"> Nadroj 20's Avatar

Based on his college stats i think hes worth bring in too. Wont hurt anything.
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"
    ~Rest In Peace HometownGal~

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

As long as we don't lose a high draft pick next year, sure. Bring him in.

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

Why? IMO we have Mendy, Moore, Dwyer, and Redman all sitting at camp this year and Dywer might fit the role of our bruising back. Don't get me wrong he looks interesting and stats are impressive, but I just don't think we NEED him.
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

Fourth String Quarterback Array title="xX-TSK-Xx "> xX-TSK-Xx's Avatar

Aussie_steeler called this one.

I don't think we really need another back at this point.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

We wouldn't just be "bringing him in" like he's a street free agent. We'd have to give up a draft pick for him. Probably anything from a 3rd to 5th rounder. Washington gave up a 3rd rounder to get Jeremy Jarmon last year.

I'd pass. It's not like RB is a dire need and I'd rather have the pick for next year where you'll have more options.

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

I dont think we need any more depth at the running back position...

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Why? IMO we have Mendy, Moore, Dwyer, and Redman all sitting at camp this year and Dywer might fit the role of our bruising back. Don't get me wrong he looks interesting and stats are impressive, but I just don't think we NEED him.
    I've never heard of him before, but from his stat's he looks like a pretty good running back. I agree with steelpride, we already have enough running backs and we know what Mendy and Moore are capable of and I'm excited to see what Dwyer is going to bring to the table.

Senior Member Array title="BlastFurnace will become famous soon enough"> BlastFurnace's Avatar

I'm interested.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

We need another RB like the Skins need another retread.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="BlastFurnace will become famous soon enough"> BlastFurnace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    We need another RB like the Skins need another retread.
    I disagree. Beyond Mendenhall, we have an aging Moore and what else? We have no idea what Dwyer will be and Redmond may just end up on the practice squad.

I say, spend a 4th rounder or greater on him and bring him in to compete.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
    I disagree. Beyond Mendenhall, we have an aging Moore and what else? We have no idea what Dwyer will be and Redmond may just end up on the practice squad.

I say, spend a 4th rounder or greater on him and bring him in to compete.
    The problem is that we only kept three RBs on the 53 man roster last year. By drafting Unga, you'd basically be saying that you're keeping four. And that, obviously, takes away another roster spot. Unless you want to cut Moore which is another discussion entirely.

Just like we don't know exactly how good Dwyer will be, we have no good how Unga is.

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    The problem is that we only kept three RBs on the 53 man roster last year. By drafting Unga, you'd basically be saying that you're keeping four. And that, obviously, takes away another roster spot. Unless you want to cut Moore which is another discussion entirely.

Just like we don't know exactly how good Dwyer will be, we have no good how Unga is.
    I see what you are saying. I wouldn't mind spending a late round pick on him. It's not like our picks 4th round and above ever amount to anything anyway.

I see what you are saying. I wouldn't mind spending a late round pick on him. It's not like our picks 4th round and above ever amount to anything anyway.
    I'd disagree with that thought. While we do miss a good bit, we've had some pretty good picks in the later rounds. Aaron Smith (4th), Brett Kiesel (7th), Chris Kemoeatu (6th), Max Starks (4th) all come to mind.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

I'd disagree with that thought. While we do miss a good bit, we've had some pretty good picks in the later rounds. Aaron Smith (4th), Brett Kiesel (7th), Chris Kemoeatu (6th), Max Starks (4th) all come to mind.
    I hate to say this but how many of those were Tomlin picks??? I'm not trying to bash Mike just asking the question. I agree that if we get him for a 4th rounder it might be worth the look.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen'sSwagger View Post
    I hate to say this but how many of those were Tomlin picks??? I'm not trying to bash Mike just asking the question. I agree that if we get him for a 4th rounder it might be worth the look.
    I was just thinking back to some of the guys on the current roster. All but Smith came under the Colbert era, by the way,

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

L.C. Greenwood 10th rounder!
    All Defense!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

meh...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Being that Aaron came under the Donahoe watch, what you have named is 3 good 2nd day picks in what...10 years. I'm sure there are more, but not many. Colbert's 2nd day drafts have not been good.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    L.C. Greenwood 10th rounder!
    Yes, but that was 41 years ago.

Being that Aaron came under the Donahoe watch, what you have named is 3 good 2nd day picks in what...10 years. I'm sure there are more, but not many. Colbert's 2nd day drafts have not been good.
    I realized that and said that Colbert didn't draft Aaron at the end of the 2nd page. Those were just the ones off the top of my head. Willie Colon is another.

I know that Colbert doesn't have a great track record, but it's still wise to hold onto the pick for next year when you'll have a ton more options. It isn't like Unga is going to be the second coming of Cris Carter.

Black and Gold Lantern Array title="The Duke is just really nice"> The Duke's Avatar

I love Unga! Heck, most of BYU's team was awesome last year

I just don't think we need him. If they didn't have Dwyer I would say definitely go for it. But as of now....
    "We're a team. There's no offense. There's no defense. There's no special teams. We're one. We're a band of brothers." – Ben Roethlisberger

Senior Member Array title="MasterOfPuppets is on a distinguished road">

starks was a 3rd rd pick.

Fourth String Quarterback Array title="xX-TSK-Xx "> xX-TSK-Xx's Avatar

Colbert has had some notable late rounders. Guys like Clark Haggans(5th), Larry Foote(4th), Verron Haynes(5th), Brett Keisel(7th), Ike Taylor(4th), Chris Kemoeatu(6th), Dan Sepulveda(4th), William Gay(5th), Dennis Dixon(5th) and Ryan Mundy(6th). I think you also have to include some of his UDFAs like Willie Parker, Darnell Stapleton, Ramone Foster and Nate Washington to the ressume. If you can get two servicable guys after the third round I think you did pretty well in that section of the draft.

The Virginia Hillbilly Array title="Galax Steeler is a splendid one to behold"> Galax Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    I love Unga! Heck, most of BYU's team was awesome last year

I just don't think we need him. If they didn't have Dwyer I would say definitely go for it. But as of now....
    It makes you wonder if we get him could it be the end for Moore never know what they are a thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
    starks was a 3rd rd pick.
    My fault. Was just going off of memory, or at least trying to.