Thread: Fake DirecTV scammers

Senior Member Array title="GodfatherofSoul is a jewel in the rough"> GodfatherofSoul's Avatar

Fake DirecTV scammers

I got another call from these guys last night. Last year, they called me after I had service set up which indicates it might be someone on the inside funneling information to the scammers. This time, they called and even had the last 4 digits of my credit card. Tip-offs:

* Sounded very young, including the manager they invariably hand you off to.
    * Claimed the 215 was a toll-free number (shows up as Philadelphia).
    * Deal is *way* too good to be true.
    * Called me back immediately when I said I wanted to call DirecTV to confirm who they were. Unfortunately, the DirecTV guy I got on the line acted like he didn't want to bother checking it out.
    * When I called them, I got an answering machine and not a wait queue.

I told them I'd accept the offer, but wouldn't give them my CC number. They then tried to fast talk me into a $19.95 service charge, then deal that down to a simple $1 confirmation charge. Thing is, I've got their number and this time I plan on doing something about it. Either via harassment or by reporting to the local authorities.

Here's the number I got the call from: (215) 383-5689

So, keep an eye out for them!

SteelerSal

Re: Fake DirecTV scammers

Quote Originally Posted by GodfatherofSoul View Post
    I got another call from these guys last night. Last year, they called me after I had service set up which indicates it might be someone on the inside funneling information to the scammers. This time, they called and even had the last 4 digits of my credit card. Tip-offs:

* Called me back immediately when I said I wanted to call DirecTV to confirm who they were. Unfortunately, the DirecTV guy I got on the line acted like he didn't want to bother checking it out.

I told them I'd accept the offer, but wouldn't give them my CC number. They then tried to fast talk me into a $19.95 service charge, then deal that down to a simple $1 confirmation charge. Thing is, I've got their number and this time I plan on doing something about it. Either via harassment or by reporting to the local authorities.

Thanks for the heads up!

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

Re: Fake DirecTV scammers

Quote Originally Posted by GodfatherofSoul View Post

Gotcha... I should shoot a device called an "infinity transmitter" over their line and record their conversations as if the phone was off the hook and live (but its actually hung up)... he he...