Thread: Steelers Universe Exclusive Interview With Antonio Brown - July 26, 2011

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Steelers Universe Exclusive Interview With Antonio Brown - July 26, 2011

Note: Recently, LLT was granted the opportunity to conduct a phone interview with Antonio Brown, the Steelers' 2nd year wide receiver! The following is a transcript of their interview. Steelers Universe would like to extend our gratitude to Antonio for taking the time to talk with us, and Cristina Alor, Director of Public Relations for Rosenhaus Sports, for coordinating our interview with Antonio!

SU: This is Perry Biggerstaff from Steelersuniverse.com and we’re talking to Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown. Antonio, welcome to the universe!

AB: How you doing? Thanks for having me!

SU: Let’s start with a moment that you’re unlikely to forget. You’re lined up deep on kickoff return with Mewelde Moore, he fields a kick and he hands it to you. Literally this is your first NFL play and you return it 89 yards for a touchdown. Just kind of walk us through that moment. What were the feelings?

AB: I mean it was amazing, man. I was coming off a great preseason, and was given the chance to compete in the first game, I was excited about my opportunity to get out there. The special teams coaches and coach Tomlin drew up a great play to start out the game. Mewelde set it up good. With me not being on film in the regular season, they had no idea who I was. We tried that reverse with the first play of the game. My first play ever….thankful for the blocking and the great scheme that the coach called.

SU: Where’s the ball at now?

AB: I actually have the ball down in Florida right now. It was my first TD of the regular season, one of my greatest moments of the season.

SU: Not only for you but for a lot of us. As a fan that’s absolutely one of my favorite moments of this past year. That moment as a NFL player scoring your first touchdown is so far removed from your life growing up in Liberty City outside of Miami, tell us a little bit about the obstacles you overcame to get to the NFL.

AB: Well, you know I’ve been to a couple different schools….applied to Central Michigan, went to a prep school at North Carolina Tech and from there I went to Central Michigan University. I couldn’t have left the city without God…. it was a long journey for a kid seeking to do something positive, and seeking to do the right thing. It was a little difficult as I didn’t have the right guidance and the right structure to mold me into the route that I was going but I just had a lot of faith and belief in what I was doing and it was a long journey to get to where I’m at. But I appreciate that I’m here. I worked like my life depended on it.

SU: You know, you actually spent that one prep year at North Carolina Tech, and I want to run through some stats for you here. In 5 games, you ran for 451 yards and 13 touchdowns, you threw for 1,247 yards and 11 touchdowns, you returned 11 punts for touchdowns, and returned 6 kickoffs for touchdowns. That’s 41 touchdowns in 5 games. How is that even possible?

AB: I mean it was something that was amazing to me. Even to go to prep school, my game really turned to the next level, and I was really competing at a high level. I could feel my body…. I could feel my body develop, could feel my mind develop and I was able to do some great things on the field. While in prep school I didn’t have any school (classes), I just was focused on taking the SATs so my whole focus was on football and studying for the SATS, and I put a lot of energy in it. You can see from the numbers it paid off for me.

SU: Were you heavily recruited coming out of high school?

AB: Yeah, I was definitely recruited but I didn’t have a chance to pad my SAT scores so I had to take the prep school and get in more film and study more to become closer to being NCAA eligible.

SU: So what led you to Central Michigan?

AB: Well, coming out of prep school I had like….West Virginia, Central Michigan recruiting me, but they still weren’t offering a scholarship in that I came from a prep school and they thought that I may be a kid, that (due to) some of the numbers (I) would not be as humble. Or maybe moving far away from home I may not be dedicated and focused….it was just another obstacle for me after leaving prep school. I had to go to Central Michigan as a walk on. As a kid from Liberty City, once again, you’re always put in a position where you gotta fight and survive to make it. I actually earned a scholarship in training camp and did well.

SU: Did they tell you about that wind chill factor in Michigan before you got there?

AB: Definitely, man…. they told me it was really freezing. I’ve never really been to the cold or to the snow but I was open for a challenge, you know. I didn’t want to go back to Liberty City and I wanted to keep my journey and my dreams alive, so….I just took it as the next step for me to be better and for me to go through something positive.

SU: Let’s talk about another play towards the end of the season. It’s a playoff game against the hated Ravens. It’s late in the game, score is tied 24 to 24, it’s 3rd and 19. Ben hits you for a 58-yard pass. For those of us who remember that play, not only did you burn the Ravens’ Lardarius Webb, but you pinned the ball against your helmet with one hand and went out of bounds at the 5-yard line. For the fans, that is a….that’s one of those “jump-off-the-couch-and-spill-your-popcorn” moments. The play secured the win for us. I think it was Mendenhall who punched the ball in a few plays later. Was that bigger than your Tennessee moment?

AB: Definitely, man. I think every moment is great. I don’t try to weigh one more than the other, but I think that was a great catch, a great moment, to allow us to go to the Super Bowl. A clutch playoff play, .and I think I’m just thankful, you know, what I mean….I’m just thankful I was able to take advantage of my opportunities. And that I was able to help put my team in a position to go to the Super Bowl.

SU: Every time I ask you about one of these plays you mention your teammates and that just shows me the caliber of player you are, that you are giving credit to everyone on the field and not just yourself.

AB: Well man, it’s a team game. Everyone contributes. It’s not just about me…. it’s other guys along with me that help me out and make me successful. You got guys like Mike Wallace in the lineup, you got Hines Ward, you got Ben as quarterback, you got an amazing offensive line, you got Mendenhall, you got guys doing their job, so when it’s time for me to make big plays it just makes it easier to put me in a position to be successful.

SU: You know, with the lockout still in place word is that you’re back in town. You’re working out with Ben and some of your teammates. Tell us a little bit about who all is participating and what are you doing so that you will be ready when it comes time to play ball.

AB: I mean, all of us are there (and) we’re just doing the same things as we would be doing in OTAs. Just, you know, keeping the plays fresh in our minds, working at them, walking through a couple of plays. Making sure we stand together and stay focused and not forget about what we just finished in February. And what we want to embark on this year.

SU: You and Emmanuel Sanders seem to have a pretty close relationship, but tell us a little bit about that relationship and is there still just a little bit of friendly rivalry between the two of you?

AB: Man, that’s my dude, man. We came into the game together. And we’ve been going through the rookie process together and you could say we grew together. We’re buddies, man. Far, far from the field we really care about each other in general and we want to continue to make sure we’re bettering each other and continue to help our team and develop as young men.

SU: Any of the veteran wide receivers take you under their wing and kind of show you the ropes?

AB: Definitely, man. Hines Ward….I sit right there in the meeting room and I always watch shows with him. And you know, when times were rough for me in the season and I wasn’t playing, he’d always tell me “young fella, just keep pushing, God’s gotta plan for ya,” and you could tell as I continued to listen and continued to better myself as the year went on, it paid off for me.

SU: Antonio, you fought your way out of Liberty City, you fought your way into the pros, you fought your way into dressing for the games and made huge plays. You played in a Super Bowl your rookie year. What motivates Antonio Brown at this point in your career?

AB: I mean, it’s always a fight and enough is never enough, and I still haven’t reached the top of my game yet. You know, uh, I pride myself on being a great special teams player, and a great receiver, and, uh, I’m just ready to unleash it. I’m ready to get back to work and show what I really can do. Hopefully there are more plays left for me, and there are more things in store for me. I just want to continue to prepare, continue to fight, continue to be ready, and have the opportunity to present it so I can take advantage.

SU: Antonio, I thank you so much for taking the time to talk to us. We’re looking forward to seeing more of you in the future. I just love that fighter’s mentality that you have. Just tell everybody before you go….where do Steelers fans need to go for all their Steelers needs?

AB: Steelersuniverse.com, baby!

© 2011 Steelers Universe

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Re: Steelers Universe Exclusive Interview With Antonio Brown - July 26, 2011

Link to the audio: Antonio Brown Interview

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Awesome, awesome stuff Perry as usual. Antonio seems like a great guy who has overrcome a lot. In a negative-filled world in today's media, more stories like this should be talked about.

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

Sweet!! Thanks Perry!!

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Take a bow Perry. Great job.

SteelerSal

SU: Every time I ask you about one of these plays you mention your teammates and that just shows me the caliber of player you are, that you are giving credit to everyone on the field and not just yourself.

AB: Well man, it’s a team game. Everyone contributes. It’s not just about me…. it’s other guys along with me that help me out and make me successful. You got guys like Mike Wallace in the lineup, you got Hines Ward, you got Ben as quarterback, you got an amazing offensive line, you got Mendenhall, you got guys doing their job, so when it’s time for me to make big plays it just makes it easier to put me in a position to be successful.
    Another unselfish, great character person...Steeler material all the way!

AB: Steelersuniverse.com, baby!
    I love it!!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

you threw for 1,247 yards and 11 touchdowns

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

geat interview as always. this kid is a wonderful kid.

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Liberty City is a tough area to grow up in and then try to make something of yourself. Brown sounds more about teamwork than another South Florida product named Santonio Holmes.
    All Defense!

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Hey Perry, any chance that you can get an interview with one of the legends from the 70s?