Thread: Steelers are gearing up for free-agent frenzy

SteelerSal

Steelers are gearing up for free-agent frenzy

Steelers are gearing up for free-agent frenzy

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The quiet that has pervaded Steelers' headquarters for most of the offseason is now the calm before the storm.

A new NFL labor deal appears to be imminent — it could be reached Thursday — and that means the Steelers will soon have to take multitasking to another level.

Director of football operations Kevin Colbert will likely have days, not weeks and months, to signs free agents and draft picks before the start of preseason practice.

The Steelers, who are preparing for a 46th consecutive training camp at St. Vincent College in Latrobe, have a sizable to-do list even if they just concentrate largely on their own free agents.

Ike Taylor, the team's best cornerback, will be an unrestricted free agent. Willie Colon, who started 54 consecutive games at right tackle before an injury sidelined him, is almost certain to have the same status once a new collective bargaining agreement is reached.

Signing outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley to a long-term contract — the Steelers placed the franchise tag on him prior to the start of the lockout — will be a top priority, and the Steelers may have to do some financial massaging because they are an estimated $10 million over what the salary cap has been projected to be under the terms of the new CBA.

Colbert has declined interview requests until the lockout is lifted. But it seems pretty safe to assume that he and the Steelers have done everything they can to prepare for free agency, given how little they've had to do during the NFL's first work stoppage since 1987.

"Teams have already done their homework," said agent Doug Hendrickson, whose clients include Woodley. "They've had different charts up and teams know what they're looking for and especially since the draft ended they know what needs they have, so I don't think there's going to be utter chaos."

Controlled chaos may be more apropos, even for the Steelers, who also have a handful of complementary players that are going to be unrestricted free agents in addition to Taylor and Colon. read more.....

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Re: Steelers are gearing up for free-agent frenzy

Now the fun begins.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Get me Woodley, Taylor and Carlos Rogers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

How much are James Harrioson and Aaron Smith slated to make in 2011?
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

I hope we resign Ike. LaMarr I'm not worried about yet because he was tagged.

Senior Member Array title="shutdown will become famous soon enough"> shutdown's Avatar

It's going to be tough to sign our FA's.

I hear teams are going to be FORCED to spend their cap money. There will be no more of this Buccaneer crap where they're like 30-40 mil under the cap.

This is going to lead to ALOT of overspending and chances are some of our FA's like Taylor are going to cash in.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Don't know how it is going to shake out but with some contract restructuring here and there we should be in good shape even though we are over the cap at this moment. Really hope we keep Ike and La Marr in Black and Gold.

Senior Member Array title="Nadroj 20 is just really nice"> Nadroj 20's Avatar

We have to get Taylor and Woodley signed in that three day window of resigning free agents. Then if we can do that, maybe we can go out and get a guy in free agency to help out. A DB or RB would be my personal choice but who knows.
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"
    ~Rest In Peace HometownGal~

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I guarantee the negotiating has been going on for a while now on wood and Ike.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Well, the three most obvious moves to save money involve Flo, Aaron and LaMarr. Flo and Aaron will be asked to restructure or face being cut (maybe both). I'd like to have both back, but that is like 9 million between them. Lamarr will be on the team either way but a long-term deal could save 4 or 5 addition millions. Also probably gone is Randell El.

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

Any truth to the interest in Reggie Bush?
    "It comes with the Territory" - Floyd 'Money' Mayweather

Senior Member Array title="KeiselPower99 is on a distinguished road"> KeiselPower99's Avatar

There is a few guys we wont see in the Black and Gold this season. Randle El, Foote and Aaron Smith. All would need to restructure or they are gone. I also believe by the fact that Willie Gay wasnt tendered means we have seen the last of him. Resign Ike. Woodley signed his tender so he is good for the season at 10 million but we need to get that down.