Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Womans World Cup

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

2011 Womans World Cup

Anyone watching this? Ive played Soccer since I was 6 years old and have been watching the Mens and Womans World Cup since the early mid-90's.

US Womans have been heart broken for the past 3 semi-finals and are now tied 1-1 with France.

Always love supporting my countries team, GO USA WOMAN!

USA USA USA!!
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

Re: 2011 Womans World Cup

You watch the Brazil match? Best one I have ever seen.

Anyway USA is looking horrible since that early goal...

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steeldevil View Post
    You watch the Brazil match? Best one I have ever seen.

Anyway USA is looking horrible since that early goal...
    The Brazil game was probably the best over I ever saw in mens and womans play, I don't know whats better the late goal in extra time or Hope Solo in the penalty kicks.
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
    The Brazil game was probably the best over I ever saw in mens and womans play, I don't know whats better the late goal in extra time or Hope Solo in the penalty kicks.
    The late goal was better for me. Once we had that I figured Solo would stop a PK

WAMBACH!!

WAMBACH!! The magic head strikes againnnn!!! 2-1 USA!

- Greg Lloyd

YESSSSS!!! 3-1 USA USA USA!!

- Greg Lloyd

Its funny how France pretty much dominated the game but we are gonna win. Sports are funny that way sometimes...

Quote Originally Posted by steeldevil View Post
    Its funny how France pretty much dominated the game but we are gonna win. Sports are funny that way sometimes...
    Yes which is fine with me! USA on there way to the World Cup Finals!

- Greg Lloyd

Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

Great job ladies . Good Luck Sunday !

Sunday 2PM It's title time!

- Greg Lloyd

Wildcat Steelers fan Array title="steelersfanman92 is an unknown quantity at this point"> steelersfanman92's Avatar

They ahve played great all the way through qualifying and up to this point. They deserve to be in the final.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

I watched most of it today. As much as I could considering it is soccer.

Still, the ladies are impressive. Nice victory against those cheese eating surrender monkeys as well.

Good luck in the final.

Hophead Array title="SCSTILLER has a spectacular aura about"> SCSTILLER's Avatar

These women are awesome! It is almost like it is their destiny to win this years World Cup. They haven't been playing all that well, but they keep finding ways to win. Someways are luck, others are skill, but either way a win is a win. Japan is going to be tough to beat, they play a very disciplined style of soccer that involves not holding on to the ball too long, quick passes, good decisions, and they all hold their positions well. The US definitely has their work cut out for them, but if they play with the heart they have been playing with, the World Cup will be coming back to the US (maybe one day the men could just even breath on the mens world cup, but I probably won't be alive for that).
    "The mountains are calling and I must go!" -- John Muir

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Congrats...not much of a soccer fan, but it's always nice to see the US do well.

By the way, it must rankle....soccer is the US's redheaded stepchild, yet we seem to be awfully damned competitive. Juts imagine how good we'd be if it was even the FOURTH most popular sport!
    Fire Goodell

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    Congrats...not much of a soccer fan, but it's always nice to see the US do well.

By the way, it must rankle....soccer is the US's redheaded stepchild, yet we seem to be awfully damned competitive. Juts imagine how good we'd be if it was even the FOURTH most popular sport!
    It might well be the 4th over hockey. The ratings for the NHL are brutal. Your comment is that far fetched...lol. At a time the NHL was behind NASCAR and the WWF. lol...

Good luck to the wimmins.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

I think it's probably something like:

1. Football
    2. Baseball
    3. Basketball
    4. NASCAR
    5. Hockey
    6. Boxing/MMA
    7. Golf
    8. Wrestling (I know it's not technically a sport, but....it is popular)
    9. Soccer

Just a guess...
    Fire Goodell

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    I think it's probably something like:

1. Football
    2. Baseball
    3. Basketball
    4. NASCAR
    5. Hockey
    6. Boxing/MMA
    7. Golf
    8. Wrestling (I know it's not technically a sport, but....it is popular)
    9. Soccer

Just a guess...
    I think that is pretty close if you are talking about the US only. I would probably move golf and wrestling above MMA though - at least at this point. As for Hockey, I would say if you just consider the NHL itself then it is bigger than NASCAR, taking the Canada market into consideration.

As for soccer, from a professional point, it is even lower than on your list. I'd say there are armature sports like softball, skating and some other sports that draw higher ratings than MLS. However, from a participatory standpoint soccer has grown greatly. Of course, I just like to poke fun at it since it is such a craze in Europe. I love that Miller High-lite commercial where the kids break the guys window with a baseball and he say says, "that's ok, it just kids .... now if it had been a soccer ball....."

But, in any case go USA Ladies!!!!

Point is, as soccer continues to gain traction, the US will really start to make some serious inroads. We are competitive as Hell now (both men and womens), and mos people continue to not even really know about it.
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="Carolina Steelers has a spectacular aura about"> Carolina Steelers's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

How does this OT work first to score? or play whole period?

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Steelers View Post
    How does this OT work first to score? or play whole period?
    Play whole period. 2 15 minute periods. If still tied, penalty kicks.

Unbelievable they let that goal in. Those 2 defenders just being sloppy with the ball.... Awful...

WAMBACH AGAIN!!!

Keep checking in on the game. I have missed every goal. So, I will watch it until the end so that Japan does not score.

Wow ... bullet meet dodge.

on second thought ....

Its like Japan is meant to win...

Senior Member Array title="Carolina Steelers has a spectacular aura about"> Carolina Steelers's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

WOW PK's to decide it

Thats it.... Pathetic...

Wildcat Steelers fan Array title="steelersfanman92 is an unknown quantity at this point"> steelersfanman92's Avatar

That was a terrible way to end the game and I have always hated PKs to decide the outcome of a game especcially one of that magnitude it would be like a 3 point contest to decide game 7 of the NBA finals, it sucks

But in the end the US women played amazingly throughout qualifing all the way to the finals hats off to them.

I don't know much about soccer, but too many squandered opportunities will bite you in the butt in most any sport.

Congrats to Japan.