View Poll Results: Do you have confidence in Byron Leftwich?(4 games)

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

50 92.59%
  • No,I fear it is as bad as has Tampa Bay and Atlanta.

4 7.41%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you have confidence in Byron Leftwich?

Thee Conservative Steeler Array title="steel9guy is on a distinguished road"> steel9guy's Avatar

I like Dixon better but I think Byron will be fine. Although I don't feel like hearing the media talk about playing him over a 2 time Superbowl winning qb.

The media is full of idiots.
    Last edited by stillers4me; 05-30-2010 at 08:49 PM.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Yes, I do have confidence in him and I think he'll do fine for the first few games until Ben comes back.

Formerly Big7BenHOF Array title="ChosenOne is an unknown quantity at this point">

Yes. As long as our defense plays up to the expectations than Leftwich will just need to control the game and not try to do anything extraordinary.

Qui dall'inizio Array title="Vincent is on a distinguished road"> Vincent's Avatar

Yep. He has the experience to get these guys through the first ? weeks. He gets rid of the ball. The early press is that he is clicking with the receivers. But I'd be comfortable with Dennis too.
    http://www.steeluniverse.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=20&dateline=127519049  3

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
    but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

He will be fine as long as he doesn't hold the ball too long, which he does not do. I think he'll do pretty well with new WR's and a new RB to back up Mendenhall. Plus Heath, Hines, MW17, and MeMo and he's got plenty of targets.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Leftwich has most of the tools to be an elite quarterback, his arm is as good as any in the league. He had a couple pretty good seasons with the Jags with an underwhelming receiving core. He also is disciplined enough to defer to the ground game when it's going best without getting his ego out of joint. In the short term he might actually make the offense look better than it was with Ben at anytime last season. Now keep in mind I said short term. In the long term Ben is the only quarterback on the roster capable of taking this team deep into the playoffs.

So to answer the question yes I believe Leftwich is capable of keeping the season afloat until Ben comes back. 2-2 at worst, buit I'm guessing we'll be 3-1 going into the bye.

What comes next might prove to be the biggest challenge of Tomlin's career. He's got to transistion the team back to Ben and much of the fanbase and even some of the team is probably going to resent that greatly. Especially if Leftwich really looks sharp in the opening month. But staying with Leftwich would prove to be a great mistake no matter how well he performs early. Over a 16 game season the league will catch up and the offense wont sustain it's early success.

So in the end it comes to this.
    Leftwich = elite back-up capable of taking a good team to the -playoffs.

Ben = elite starter capable of taking a team to the Super Bowl and winning it.

Black & Gold Metal Array title="SteelGhost is on a distinguished road"> SteelGhost's Avatar

I voted yes, but I will take my own confidence in BL with a grain of salt though. I would like to see what can DD bring to the table.

Junior Member Array title="casteeler is an unknown quantity at this point">

This would present the perfect situation for working Dixon into the offense, can't wait to see him in action again!

The Virginia Hillbilly Array title="Galax Steeler is a splendid one to behold"> Galax Steeler's Avatar

I don't think he will have a problem a handling it. We should be able to take some of the heat off of him with the running game. With the addition of Dwyer we should have a much better running game along with Mendenhall.

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

Yes - I have complete confidence in Lefty. He's an experienced vet, has a great rapport with the team and knows the system.

CANCER - YOU PICKED THE WRONG BITCH!!!

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

The upside of this is that the team will get plenty of time with Lefty so if/when Ben goes down in the future, he can step right in and we should be fine.

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    The upside of this is that the team will get plenty of time with Lefty so if/when Ben goes down in the future, he can step right in and we should be fine.
    I remember when he came in for Ben in the Redskin's game, cleaned up shop, scored important touchdowns and most importantly got the W, and I have faith he will and can do this again barring a BB injury.
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    if ben were to go down for a couple of weeks , sure lefty would be the alright.if we lost ben for the season he would struggle

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
    Yes - I have complete confidence in Lefty. He's an experienced vet, has a great rapport with the team and knows the system.
    I'm with HTG. On top of all of that, Lefty mentioned that he liked Arians system and remembered most of it because he liked it so much. Being comfortable within the system goes a long way toward a QB performing well. There are so many mental games that a QB has to deal with, if Lefty is enjoying himself within the system he'll do fine.

My 2 cents worth Array title="Burghfan58 is an unknown quantity at this point"> Burghfan58's Avatar

I beleive he will be fine considering he will get alot of reps in camp and preseason. The o-line and the running game should be improved which will help. If the D stays healthy they don't miss a beat.
    Addicted to Steeler football 24/7 365

Junior Member Array title="tyler289 is an unknown quantity at this point">

I believe in Byron or Dixon. There is enough talent around either QB to put up decent numbers, and if the defense can play up to their full potential, they won't need to score more than 21-28 points a game.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

No. I have more confidence in Dennis Dixon.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    No. I have more confidence in Dennis Dixon.
    It doesn't seem as if the coaching staff does though.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pepsyman1 View Post
    I'm with HTG. On top of all of that, Lefty mentioned that he liked Arians system and remembered most of it because he liked it so much. Being comfortable within the system goes a long way toward a QB performing well. There are so many mental games that a QB has to deal with, if Lefty is enjoying himself within the system he'll do fine.
    Oh shit. Poor Lefty. That will get him the beat down with the BA haters brigade.

CANCER - YOU PICKED THE WRONG BITCH!!!

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

From what I've read, Lefty is zipping the ball around pretty well, and starting to gel with the WRs. I am very happy we have him back.

AML

I do....I dont think anyone would consider Byron a franchise QB but I think he is an above average field technician. Dont put the game solely in his hands, and he will do enough to help win the game for us and not LOSE the game for us.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

Byron will be fine as someone who is just filling in for a short period of time. His roll is to get the W anyway possible whether it's pretty or not, and his veteran presence will only be a plus for this offense.
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

Senior Member Array title="MULLDOG24 is an unknown quantity at this point">

I think Lefty will be fine. I am not worried about what Lefty did in Tampa cause he just didn't have anything to work with down there. When he filled in here he was good so I think he is good enough to get us through 4 to 6 games until Ben gets back.

BRINGIN' IT! Array title="Indo is on a distinguished road"> Indo's Avatar

I agree with most of the posts here---He will get the job done. Perhaps not in spectacular fashion....But a W is a W

Member Array title="klick81 is an unknown quantity at this point"> klick81's Avatar

All I know is that I'm 3-2 while using him on Madden 2010 (ok, I restarted one of those games) .

He should be fine; the game plan will obviously play a pivotal role.

Junior Member Array title="Steelerfreak58 is an unknown quantity at this point"> Steelerfreak58's Avatar

As long as they play the running game and they run to throw I think it will work out great. Wallace and him just need to work on hooking up long and deep and it will be a good combo if the running game is drawing in the secondary.
    Last edited by Steelerfreak58; 06-01-2010 at 03:08 PM.
    http://www.steeluniverse.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=206&dateline=12754085  19

The Princess' Daddy! Array title="stlrtruck will become famous soon enough"> stlrtruck's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

I think Lefty can carry the torch for 4 games. But I think Dixon would do just as well.

60 MINS, 53 MEN, 1 NATION
    STEELERS NATION

Junior Member Array title="Steelerfreak58 is an unknown quantity at this point"> Steelerfreak58's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
    I think Lefty can carry the torch for 4 games. But I think Dixon would do just as well.
    I think Dixon really should have been given the shot at running the show. Lefty has a strong arm but he didn't get much done in Jacksonville and was beaten by Gerrard for the spot. As long at they can go 4,5,or 6-0 I don't care who is running the show.
    Last edited by Steelerfreak58; 06-01-2010 at 03:07 PM.
    http://www.steeluniverse.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=206&dateline=12754085  19

Senior Member Array title="KeiselPower99 is on a distinguished road"> KeiselPower99's Avatar

More faith in him then Batch.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Over Batch... no question.

Over Dixon... I'll need some convincing. not necessarily wins, but good performances.

He's had his share of low points. I just hope his good luck in the burgh continues. :hope: