Thread: Poll Friday: Best RB in AFC North?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Poll Friday: Best RB in AFC North?

We have another interesting "Poll Friday" question, and this week it focuses on the running game.

The question: Who is the best running back in the AFC North? There are four good choices, and all rushed for more than 1,000 yards last season.

Is Ray Rice of the Baltimore Ravens the No. 1 tailback in the AFC North? Rice is one of the most versatile and dynamic offensive players in the NFL and is a threat in the running and passing games for Baltimore. Rice already has been to one Pro Bowl in three seasons.

Or is it Rashard Mendenhall of the Pittsburgh Steelers? Mendenhall's running added balance to Pittsburgh's offense and helped the team get to the Super Bowl last season. Mendenhall also improved his toughness in the red zone and between the tackles by scoring a career-high 13 touchdowns last season.

read more

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...b-in-afc-north

Right now

Ray Rice:32%

Rashard Mendenhall:33%

Peyton Hillis:29%

Cedric Benson:6%

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Re: Poll Friday: Best RB in AFC North?

Hate to say it, but at this point I'd take Rice over Mendenhall.

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Really? Why?

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

I think at this point in their careers, they are pretty much even as far as versatility and sheer rushing power go.

CANCER - YOU PICKED THE WRONG BITCH!!!

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steeldawg View Post
    Really? Why?
    Mendenhall still seems tentative to me at times. Thankfully, those times have been steadily decreasing.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

I think Rice is a little more versatile. How ever I think the gap is small enough that I will go with who I think is better in the running game, Mendenhall.

AML

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I lean towards Ray Rice, I am not ready to put Mendenhall ahead of Rice yet

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Rice over Mendy for me as well.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
    I think at this point in their careers, they are pretty much even as far as versatility and sheer rushing power go.
    Not even close in that aspect
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Rice over Mendy. Rice faces our defense twice a year. Mendy only has to face the Ratbirds.

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

Hate to say it, but Rice is a GREAT receiving back...

Ū Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

agree
    Hater = Realist

Ū Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Mendenhall still seems tentative to me at times. Thankfully, those times have been steadily decreasing.
    agree again. he's not as bad as he was when he first entered the NFL. yep, let's hope his shyness fades away with each carry
    Hater = Realist

The Virginia Hillbilly Array title="Galax Steeler is a splendid one to behold"> Galax Steeler's Avatar

I think Rice is better right now but it seems like Mendy is improving everyday.

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Not even close in that aspect
    We'll have to agree to disagree.

CANCER - YOU PICKED THE WRONG BITCH!!!

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

By the time Mendy rises to elite status, his wheels will be worn off. He still runs too high which causes him to fumble. He is a better blocker and bigger target though.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

rice for sure but mendy isn't far behind

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Rice is more versatile but a lot of that is because of the way that the Ravens use him. Mendy is very capable at catching the ball out of the backfield but we just don't use him enough for that. You can't argue with Rice's production but I'll still take Mendy in our offense. He's just going to keep getting better.

Senior Member Array title="Nadroj 20 is just really nice"> Nadroj 20's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steeldevil View Post
    Hate to say it, but Rice is a GREAT receiving back...
    This.

I love Mendenhall, but as of now Rice is more of a dual threat.

I don't know if I would trade Mendenhall for Rice, that is a tough subject, but Rice definitly has my respect as a RB.
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"
    ~Rest In Peace HometownGal~

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I give Rice the slight edge at this point.

Interesting thing to see is if the fact that Ray Rice had 910 rushing attempts in college, while Mendenhall had 388....does that extra mileage on Rice catch up to him sooner in his career than Mendenhall?

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

I find it curious that no one uses the offensive line as a defense for Mendy? I mean if the subject were Ben in comparison to another qb I'm sure it would have come up by now, so why not for Mendenhall?
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    I find it curious that no one uses the offensive line as a defense for Mendy? I mean if the subject were Ben in comparison to another qb I'm sure it would have come up by now, so why not for Mendenhall?
    Don't know that a better O line would help in Mendy's catching ability. The receiving is what seems to differentiate Rice and Mendy in this discussion.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Honestly, from a run blocking standpoint, the Steelers O-line is pretty good. I think that most could agree that guys like Kemo, Pouncey, Colon, Flozell Adams, Hartwig, Starks, are decent enough run blockers that he has had the past couple seasons.

You could make an arguement that the O line has been injured a lot recently and Mendenhall has had to deal with that...but you could also argue he has one of the best blocking TE's in Miller, when the offense actually chooses to run the ball.

I dont think the O line is as big of a crutch in running the ball. Maybe we can agree that RG spot with Essex, Foster, Legursky hasnt been solid running the ball.

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    Rice is more versatile but a lot of that is because of the way that the Ravens use him. Mendy is very capable at catching the ball out of the backfield but we just don't use him enough for that. You can't argue with Rice's production but I'll still take Mendy in our offense. He's just going to keep getting better.
    Well put, if i was putting together a team and the choices were mendy or rice i take mendy.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

I would take Rice over Mendy. I feel that the two have different running styles, Mendy seems to be a more physical, aggressive back while Rice is a dual threat that is a little more flashy and can juke well.

Black & Gold Metal Array title="SteelGhost is on a distinguished road"> SteelGhost's Avatar

Yep, at this point I think Rice is slightly better than Rashard, on the other hand Hillis is freaking awesome, he has made a great job in that poor team he plays for.