Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pryor is OUT!

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Pryor is OUT!

Good Riddance. ESPN is reporting that over the last couple of years he's pocketed 20-40k in payments for signing autographs, as well as free food, drinks, etc, etc...

Anyone in the market for a second string TE with a bad attitude and ego problem?

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/sports/c...-at-ohio-state

COLUMBUS, Ohio - The attorney for Ohio State's Terrelle Pryor says the quarterback won't return for his senior season with the Buckeyes.

Columbus lawyer Larry James says his client would most likely make himself available for an NFL supplemental draft.

In a statement, Pryor said simply, "In the best interest of my teammates, I have made the decision to forego my senior year of football at The Ohio State University."
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Re: Pryor is OUT!

As an Iowa Hawkeye fan, it's hard to repress my joy from what's happening at OSU, but at the same time I can understand how as a fan you must feel. Sorry for that. I also feel bad for the players and coaches who didn't act inappropriately that are also being punished for all of this.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Yeah, it sucks...but I think they'll rebound. The team is still loaded with talent. Challenging for a National Championship? Probably not (and probably won't be allowed), but they'll still be a Big Ten force to be reckoned with. Their defense will be as good as ever, and with Pryor out of the way, Braxton Miller can take the helm right out of the gate.

I gave Pryor chance after chance after chance, and he turned out to be a complete douchenozzle. All I can hope for now is an epic NFL fail for him...
    Fire Goodell

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

well as a Purdue guy i am not really crying tears, BUT i cant stop thinking of the fans. i do feel for them as for Pryor i see a 3rd QB at best for a bottom feeder.

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

I honestly don't see the difference between Pryor and Cam Newton, which just makes me feel even more so that the Panthers just made a huge mistake....

I actually think Pryor is a better passer. That does NOT bode well for the Panthers.
    Fire Goodell

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    Yeah, it sucks...but I think they'll rebound. The team is still loaded with talent. Challenging for a National Championship? Probably not (and probably won't be allowed), but they'll still be a Big Ten force to be reckoned with. Their defense will be as good as ever, and with Pryor out of the way, Braxton Miller can take the helm right out of the gate.

I gave Pryor chance after chance after chance, and he turned out to be a complete douchenozzle. All I can hope for now is an epic NFL fail for him...
    In the best interest of him teammates? He runs off to make a shit load of money, and leaves his team and teammates holding the bag. Neither of which probably knew anything about what he was doing. ( Please See USC ) It really stinks when such a fine football school can be brought down by one fucking asshole. I hope he ends up in the Arena League, and gets paid in popcorn and hot dog. Sorry man.

AML

Well, ya.......if he did THIS "in the best interests of his teammates", it will be the FIRST thing he's done with them in mind.

Clarett was the first (that we know of) for Tressel. But this seems like pattern behavior now. It's important to land top athletes, but not at the cost of your entire program, or, worse yet, school's reputation and integrity.

OSU will be back. They will, as Gordon Gee put it, "Scrub everything", and be better for it. But it is sad...
    Fire Goodell

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    In the best interest of him teammates? He runs off to make a shit load of money....
    Doubtful, seeing as not only will there more than likely be a rookie cap going forward, but Pryor will more than likely not be selected anywhere near the first three rounds, unless Crazy Al has another "JaMarcus Russell moment." Also factor in that he is exactly the type that will piss away every penny of what he does make and more than likely be out of the league within 3 years and either wind up in jail or dead in less than five years' time.

Can he enter the supplemental draft, and do you guys think that would be beneficial to him, or do you think he should wait until next years draft?

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Personally, I think he would be better of waiting till next years draft. Try to stay quite and out of trouble, work out all year, then start trying out for every team that will look at you. Try to put up big workout numbers and wait for the Al Davis factor to take over. Gary does have a very good point about a rookie salary cap though. If Pryor is going to get big bucks it will likely be as a rookie before the league gets a good look at him, and his future off the field problem, and there will be some.

AML

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

He is gonna go into the supplimental draft and not get drafted and play in the UFL for someone. this is just a hunch, but that is my guess.

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Doubtful, seeing as not only will there more than likely be a rookie cap going forward, but Pryor will more than likely not be selected anywhere near the first three rounds, unless Crazy Al has another "JaMarcus Russell moment." Also factor in that he is exactly the type that will piss away every penny of what he does make and more than likely be out of the league within 3 years and either wind up in jail or dead in less than five years' time.
    Not even Al is that crazy...

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

If I was a OSU fan, I think I'd personally be happy that he's gone. That's one less person that the fans have to deal with that has made bad decisions and has made the school look bad. I don't see him having much of an NFL career myself, just another Cam Newton.

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

No longer associated with Ohio State after a series of NCAA issues, former Buckeye quarterback Terrell Pryor's CFL negotiating rights are now owned by the Sasketchewan Roughriders.
    According to the Associated Press, Pryor's lawyer, Larry James acknowledged that going to Canada is an option his client would entertain.
    http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...FL-rights.html

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

With the larger field to work with, Pryor may do well in Canada. I hope he does go there, and stays there. Pryor's lawyer is starting to sound a lot like an agent. Not only would he sell his house, but for the right price he would probably throw in him mother.

AML

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

I think Pyror might do ok in the CFL as a quarterback. Perhaps if he goes up there for a couple years and refines his game he can then give the NFL a try ala Flutie and Moon? Not to suggest he'll ever be as good as Moon was, but he does have some ability, but he's nowhere close to being ready for NFL play as of now.

Now as far as what Pyror's done with OSU. I think it's obvious that he's been somewhat of an entitled jerk, but let's not forget he hasn't commited any crimes, all he's done is capitilized on his celebrity. You put a lot of young people in that position and they'll fall prey to it. Hell I made a ton of mistakes when I was of that age, I certainly can't say for sure that I'd have been above it if people had tried to shower me with money. And let's not forget Steeler fans, we have our own "entitled jerk" qb, who's also made his fair share of mistakes. So let's not be so quick to condemn without giving pause or thought to possible redemption down the road.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    If I was a OSU fan, I think I'd personally be happy that he's gone. That's one less person that the fans have to deal with that has made bad decisions and has made the school look bad. I don't see him having much of an NFL career myself, just another Cam Newton.
    Dude, Cam Newton was the NFL's number one overall draft pick! You might not like the guy, but there's a damn good chance the guy will have a good NFL career. He certainly can't be put in the bust category before he's even taken an NFL snap!

Maurice Clarett (of all people) came out stating that this is all about the players "reaching out", and that there are always unscrupulous people willing to give. Not that the institution was to blame, but that the players are to blame. He also accepted blame for his own actions.

Have to admit, he at least sounds like he learned his own lessons...
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    And let's not forget Steeler fans, we have our own "entitled jerk" qb, who's also made his fair share of mistakes. So let's not be so quick to condemn without giving pause or thought to possible redemption down the road.
    What? As fans of a team we certainly have the right to voice our displeasure with one of the players on the team if they are screwing up. I don't see anyone condemning anyone in this thread. All I see are fans voicing their opinion on a certain player. Just like you did when Ben was going through his troubles. Remember? If and when a certain player redeems himself then that player gets the appropriate praise. You certainly can't expect people to just say "oh well, he screwed his whole team, but its okay because 5 years from now he'll be a better person." Nobody knows that, not even you, so until a player makes a turn around, they deserve what criticism they get.

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    What? As fans of a team we certainly have the right to voice our displeasure with one of the players on the team if they are screwing up. I don't see anyone condemning anyone in this thread. All I see are fans voicing their opinion on a certain player. Just like you did when Ben was going through his troubles. Remember? If and when a certain player redeems himself then that player gets the appropriate praise. You certainly can't expect people to just say "oh well, he screwed his whole team, but its okay because 5 years from now he'll be a better person." Nobody knows that, not even you, so until a player makes a turn around, they deserve what criticism they get.
    He alone didn't screw the Buckeyes over. It's systematic, he's just the most prominent of the current group. If you want to single someone out for blame look at Tressell and whoever's OSU's compliance officer is.

You wont convince me that these "perks" that Pyror and others took advantage of, weren't known of by Tressell and the University long ago. In fact I'd go so far as to surmise that Tressell used players that were involved in these sort of activities in the recruitment proccess of top level recruits to make sure they knew coming in that they'd be getting special benifits. How else do you think they keep all the top players from gravitating to the pay for play SEC?

Did Pyror have to go? Yes. But he doesn't deserve to be the face of this. Big time college football stinks to high heaven, and it has since long before Terell Pyror..

I'm not so sure about the compliance officer. The Bucks have done a pretty good job of self reporting over the last 10 years. I'm not excusing anything or anyone, simply saying that the whole system is screwed up.

I'm not sure that the solution is, but Universities and coaches making 10's of millions of dollars on the backs of players has got to at least be tweaked.
    Fire Goodell

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

[QUOTE=suitanim;168401]I'm not so sure about the compliance officer. The Bucks have done a pretty good job of self reporting over the last 10 years. I'm not excusing anything or anyone, simply saying that the whole system is screwed up.

I'm not sure that the solution is, but Universities and coaches making 10's of millions of dollars on the backs of players has got to at least be tweaked.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but what gets tweaked? As of now, everyone gets a piece of the pie, except the players.

The argument is that the players get a free education, with the very real expectation of going on to the pros and making millions of $$$. Unfortunately, the players are expected to live on "nothing" for their tenure at college. It isn't realistic... and what is happening all over the country (not just Ohio State) is evidence of that fact. Some serious "tweaking" needs to be done, but I don't see it happening any time soon.

[QUOTE=silver & black;168734]
    Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    I'm not so sure about the compliance officer. The Bucks have done a pretty good job of self reporting over the last 10 years. I'm not excusing anything or anyone, simply saying that the whole system is screwed up.

I'm not sure that the solution is, but Universities and coaches making 10's of millions of dollars on the backs of players has got to at least be tweaked.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but what gets tweaked? As of now, everyone gets a piece of the pie, except the players.

The argument is that the players get a free education, with the very real expectation of going on to the pros and making millions of $$$. Unfortunately, the players are expected to live on "nothing" for their tenure at college. It isn't realistic... and what is happening all over the country (not just Ohio State) is evidence of that fact. Some serious "tweaking" needs to be done, but I don't see it happening any time soon.
    Most people leave college with two things that most scholarship division 1 athletes don't. A degree, and a ton of debt that will last well until their late 20's if not their early 30's. So cry me a freaking river with this poor little athlet argument. College tuition in and of itself is worth a fortune to anyone with a half a brain. Most of us were habitually broke from 18-21 and somehow managed to deal with it, so again, no sympathy here.

Don't get me wrong, I can understand why athletes are tempted if and when they're offered gifts by boosters. But the argument that scholarship athletes are somehow exploited I find to be ridiculous.

Senior Member Array title="Nadroj 20 is just really nice"> Nadroj 20's Avatar

I agree with zu.

Look at Pryor for instance. He got a full ride scholarship to go to Ohio State. Why? Because he can run real fast and play a freaking game.

Now you also want to pay these athletes extra money so they do not get tempted to take from boosters? There are plenty of non athletic people going to Ohio State that are stuggling with money too! They also may be smarter then Pryor but they did not get a scholarship (athetically or academically).. But because TP (or any other scholarship athlete) plays sports he deserves even more money and the hard working engineering student shouldn't??

Another example as to why a lot of people feel.. Athletics>Academics. (not singling anyone here out its a very brod example).
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"
    ~Rest In Peace HometownGal~

I'm not crying a river about any of "the poor athletes". The fact remaines that these athletes have their scholarships for one reason... to play and make money for the university.

Yeah, most of us were broke from 18-21. Non athlete students are also allowed to work and earn money during their stay at college. If I'm not mistaken, scholarship athletes don't have that option.

Also... most of these scholarship athletes are not really afforded the opportunity to take their "free tuition" seriously and study like they should. They have to practice and study the playbook in order to perform at a high level; in order to keep their starting spot on the team and keep a high profile among the NFL scouts.

I'm not defending what happened at Ohio State. I'm just agreeing that there definitely needs to be some tweaking of the rules. I don't know what can be done, but I'm sure something could be worked out... if anyone was really serious about it. Then again, situations like this make for sensational media stories... and who doesn't love to revel in someone else's misery?

The following is taken care of on a full scholarship: tution, books, and room and board. Students not on a full scholarship have to pay for all these expenses.

So it sounds to me this extra money is more about a players wants and not their needs. Was Pryor really that bad off that he needed to sell that stuff? In my opinion I think he would have been fine without the extra cash. Where do you think that money went to? Maybe it was for a new watch and a sweet PS3. Stuff that is nice to have but not important to have.

A full scholarship covers most of the basic NEEDS of living. When they are on a full scholarship I just do not see why it is fair to further pay them. Other students are much worse off then the full scholarship athletes, even the players who are not on full scholarships like walk ons. Paying them would just feed into their wants and I do not see the benefit of doing this.

EDIT: Not to mention all the free merchandise and other legal perks you get for playing D-I football

Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like this was a case of "want" over "need".

Are full scholarship athletes allowed to work?

Also, I'm NOT advocating that the players get paid.

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like this was a case of "want" over "need".

Are full scholarship athletes allowed to work?

Also, I'm NOT advocating that the players get paid.
    To my understanding no they are not allowed to work.

These guys get a lot and they seem to basically be saying that a free education (plus some other things like room and board) is not enough. The value they place on education is extremely low and as an educator myself I just can not stand it.