Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: DirecTV screw job

  1. #1
    Senior Member Array title="GodfatherofSoul is a jewel in the rough"> GodfatherofSoul's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kansas City
    Gender
    Posts
    1,828

    DirecTV screw job

    I'm adding this just for the record since they're making me sign a contract to shut up to get my money back. But, they can't legally say jack until I sign the dotted line. Here's the contract. Now, here's what happened...

    I wanted to get Sunday Ticket. I didn't give a damn about their other services, but as anyone who's shelled out for it knows you get screwed with their packages INCLUDING the $300+ raping you take just to watch your favorite team play each week.

    Now, I have a cable provider I'm plenty happy with so I found myself in the situation where I have to pay for TWO cable services. I have a pretty sophisticated setup and I didn't want their installers screwing things up, so I ran all the required connections outside of my cabinet and told them to stay out of it. But, here's what they did.

    1. Convinced me that they *had* to get inside cabinet because of their HDMI handshaking sequence (a real concern if you've worked with high def cables). Turned out to be false.

    2. CUT the cable line from my normal cable service and used that hole in the wall to thread their own line.

    3. Disconnected the existing cable service at the outside junction box.

    4. Swapped the two internal HDMI cable connections inside my cabinet.

    5. Minor point; they told me I had to get the insurance on sign up when I didn't.

    I didn't see them doing all of this. It took a couple of days to figure out what they'd done. And, when you have a complicated home theater setup these aren't obvious problems to uncover.

    I griped about it of course and they sent a repair guy out to fix *some* of the damage they'd done. He wanted to argue with me about whether it was DirecTV's fault or a private contractor's. I could care less if they show up in a DirecTV truck how they're technically employed.

    It wasn't until a few weeks later (I was doing some home repairs) that I also discovered that they'd disconnected an existing cable line to an upstairs bedroom as well DirecTV wouldn't come out and fix this (though they have no problems screwing it up), but they agreed to reimburse me for what the existing cable company charged to come out and fix their problems.

    I can accept honest errors, but I have no doubt they did this on purpose to sabotage my existing cable service. I guess their logic is you'll be dumb enough to think the regular cable company started to suck as soon as DirecTV left your house. The Uverse guy who came out to fix DirecTV's problems also said that it's a common tactic that they use out here.

    I thought about keeping the satellite for this next football season, but my rebates expire and there's no way I'm paying $150/month X 5 months just to watch the NFL and an extra cable network I NEVER watch.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Marlton, NJ
    Gender
    Posts
    3,671

    Re: DirecTV screw job

    Unfortunately, I think it comes down to the individual contractors that they use to do their installations. When I had Direct Tv installed, they used parts of my previous cable installation where they could, they used some cabling that I had installed in preparation to their visit, changed out some inferior cable and used some of my suggestions and helped me run cable behind some of my crown molding so it wouldn't be visible. They even left me an extra remote they unexpectedly had with them. I've had nothing but good service from them with any issues I've had over the last 3 years.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Array title="BnG_Hevn has much to be proud of"> BnG_Hevn's Avatar
    Battleball Champion!

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,070

    Re: DirecTV screw job

    I wouldn't blame DirecTV and I highly doubt that it is common for DTV to "instruct" in any way whatever, the installers to sabotage anything.

    You also need to realize that the contractors generally get paid by the job. If they have a job that takes them all day and get $15 per job, guess what? They just made $15 for that entire day's work.

    On the other hand, if they get lucky and can knock out 10 jobs in s short amount of time, they really can make some cash.

    With that said, the installers will be as quick as they can so riding the cables wires, it they are not in use, is reasonable to me. Hey, they have to make a living too.

    I have a house I bought in '08 and had DTV come out to install. The house was wired in every room for cable, I told them to use the existing cabling and to turn on their service in 3 of the rooms.

    That is interesting about the HDMI cable though. When we first had DTV come out they used the HDMI cable on my HDTV and it worked fine. I had some "handy man" come in and do some painting, or rather "lower" my "fire place mantle" so I could put my TV on top of it ( I have a 61" JVC I bought in '05 ) and when we hooked the TV back up, the HDMI video would come in and out so we had to put the regular cables back on.

    When I first got the TV I tried hooking the HDMI cable in myself since it is no big deal and the sound kept cutting in and out, the TV was under warranty and they sent a repair guy to look at it and the TV checked out fine.

  4. #4
    Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    N Y C / Chicago
    Gender
    Posts
    26,248

    Re: DirecTV screw job

    I have been very lucky with Directv ( 8 years )- I never had a problem with them thank God . Inregards to the Sunday Ticket , you have to cry poverty and they will bend over backwards to make you order the service. Last year I paid $150.00 for the entire season that included the Ticket, the HD pack and also to be able to view games onine ( $99.99 ) . If there is a season, I will be doing it again right after the Saints Thursday Night game, lol

  5. #5
    Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Da Burgh
    Gender
    Posts
    9,826

    Re: DirecTV screw job

    I had several issues with DISH Network about 4 years ago and after I filed a Complaint with the Better Business Bureau online, a rep from DISH called me and I ended up getting free DISH for 6 months, a year of HBO and Starz for free, the SOB contractor who put in the DISH got the heave ho and I was refunded the cash that the contractor ripped me out of when he installed the DISH (the sales rep said it would be free installation).

    File a complaint with the BBB - no company likes having a complaint filed against them and having it right out there where everyone can see it.

    Here's the link:

    http://www.bbb.org/






    CANCER - YOU PICKED THE WRONG BITCH!!!

  6. #6
    Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    11,535

    Re: DirecTV screw job

    You could ask to have Philadelphia as your home network so you get Steelers games for free and then use your T.V.'s antenna to pick up local channels. It worked for us, I get to see every Steelers games, most Pitt football, quite a few Pitt baskeball, and some Pens and Bucs games.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Marlton, NJ
    Gender
    Posts
    3,671

    Re: DirecTV screw job

    Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    You could ask to have Philadelphia as your home network so you get Steelers games for free and then use your T.V.'s antenna to pick up local channels. It worked for us, I get to see every Steelers games, most Pitt football, quite a few Pitt baskeball, and some Pens and Bucs games.
    ???? How does asking for Philly as your home network get you Steelers games? Philadelphia IS my home network and that's why I got Sunday Ticket because the Eagles and Steelers are usually playing at the same time and I would always be stuck watching the Eagles.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Array title="GodfatherofSoul is a jewel in the rough"> GodfatherofSoul's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kansas City
    Gender
    Posts
    1,828

    Re: DirecTV screw job

    Whoa! Wasn't expecting any responses! Thanks for the input. Wish I'd have waited to mail in that form now. It would be flipping fantastic if I could get Pittsburgh set to my home city. I'll try that.

  9. #9
    Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Gender
    Posts
    5,197

    Re: DirecTV screw job

    Quote Originally Posted by GodfatherofSoul View Post
    I'm adding this just for the record since they're making me sign a contract to shut up to get my money back. But, they can't legally say jack until I sign the dotted line. Here's the contract. Now, here's what happened...

    I wanted to get Sunday Ticket. I didn't give a damn about their other services, but as anyone who's shelled out for it knows you get screwed with their packages INCLUDING the $300+ raping you take just to watch your favorite team play each week.

    Now, I have a cable provider I'm plenty happy with so I found myself in the situation where I have to pay for TWO cable services. I have a pretty sophisticated setup and I didn't want their installers screwing things up, so I ran all the required connections outside of my cabinet and told them to stay out of it. But, here's what they did.

    1. Convinced me that they *had* to get inside cabinet because of their HDMI handshaking sequence (a real concern if you've worked with high def cables). Turned out to be false.

    2. CUT the cable line from my normal cable service and used that hole in the wall to thread their own line.

    3. Disconnected the existing cable service at the outside junction box.

    4. Swapped the two internal HDMI cable connections inside my cabinet.

    5. Minor point; they told me I had to get the insurance on sign up when I didn't.

    I didn't see them doing all of this. It took a couple of days to figure out what they'd done. And, when you have a complicated home theater setup these aren't obvious problems to uncover.

    I griped about it of course and they sent a repair guy out to fix *some* of the damage they'd done. He wanted to argue with me about whether it was DirecTV's fault or a private contractor's. I could care less if they show up in a DirecTV truck how they're technically employed.

    It wasn't until a few weeks later (I was doing some home repairs) that I also discovered that they'd disconnected an existing cable line to an upstairs bedroom as well DirecTV wouldn't come out and fix this (though they have no problems screwing it up), but they agreed to reimburse me for what the existing cable company charged to come out and fix their problems.

    I can accept honest errors, but I have no doubt they did this on purpose to sabotage my existing cable service. I guess their logic is you'll be dumb enough to think the regular cable company started to suck as soon as DirecTV left your house. The Uverse guy who came out to fix DirecTV's problems also said that it's a common tactic that they use out here.

    I thought about keeping the satellite for this next football season, but my rebates expire and there's no way I'm paying $150/month X 5 months just to watch the NFL and an extra cable network I NEVER watch.
    You should have been there to supervise. Using existing cable runs isn't unheard of. And of course I always believe what the cable guy says.


    Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

    Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  10. #10

    Re: DirecTV screw job

    When I lived in Kentucky a few years ago, we had installers come in and really screw some stuff up. After a number of calls and complaints, we got everything taken care of. What really helped, was a alarm installation guy. He drilled for all his stuff, then went through and drilled through the brickwork and ran the wires for the DTV people as well. The guy was excellent.


  11. #11
    Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    7,211

    Re: DirecTV screw job

    I always watch the installers like a hawk. I know what I'm doing with AV setups and I make damn sure they're giving me quality connections and not tearing up my stuff. I really find that handshake with hdmi cable laughable, I have NEVER had a problem with HDMI cables, and I've replaced every one that DTV used because they were crap.


  12. #12
    Senior Member Array title="GodfatherofSoul is a jewel in the rough"> GodfatherofSoul's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kansas City
    Gender
    Posts
    1,828

    Re: DirecTV screw job

    Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    I always watch the installers like a hawk. I know what I'm doing with AV setups and I make damn sure they're giving me quality connections and not tearing up my stuff. I really find that handshake with hdmi cable laughable, I have NEVER had a problem with HDMI cables, and I've replaced every one that DTV used because they were crap.
    It depends on your hardware; not the cables from what I've seen. Some devices don't like being connected in certain orders or powered on/off or hard powered up/down in certain sequences. I have a setup downstairs that without fail screws up if there's a hard power down.

  13. #13
    Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    20,165

    Re: DirecTV screw job

    The last time I had DTV, they had to come out 5 times to get it right. Never again. Long live the power of the internet.



  14. #14
    Senior Member Array title="BlacknGoldBabe has a spectacular aura about">

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Castle Shannon, PA
    Gender
    Posts
    462

    Re: DirecTV screw job

    D TV screwed me over. I terminated my contract early with them because their equipment never worked right. In the first place, the installer put the dish in the wrong place. He used existing cable that was in the house, and the splitters that were used caused problems which required another house call. Their DVR boxes were crummy and when I called and complained a very rude rep accused me of not knowing how to use the equipment. They added Sunday Ticket without my consent and tried to stick me with paying for it. Not only that, it was really annoying to know we were in for a storm just by watching tv. Now they're saying, after the service was terminated over two years ago that I still owe them $263. D TV...bite me!!

  15. #15
    NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    50,836
    Quote Originally Posted by pepsyman1 View Post
    ???? How does asking for Philly as your home network get you Steelers games? Philadelphia IS my home network and that's why I got Sunday Ticket because the Eagles and Steelers are usually playing at the same time and I would always be stuck watching the Eagles.
    I live in the Philly area and Ialmist every Steelers game is on regular TV. The only time it's not is if the eagles are home at the same time. However, there really isn't a lit if conflicts. I think I see probably 12-13 games on regular TV. Watch the other 3-4 at a bar or now with the kids, hook the laptop up to the tv and watch a stream.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

  16. #16
    Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Shitzinnati
    Gender
    Posts
    24,858

    Re: DirecTV screw job

    We had DTV installed in January....a delay from our initial signing with them in September were we were supposed to get Sunday Ticket for free but it didn't get installed until the season was over. (long story)

    Russ called them over the weekend and the service rep he talked to happened to be a die hard Steelers fan living in Cinci but born in Pittsburgh. We have Sunday Ticket free this year plus they just came out yesterday and installed the new wireless router that hooks our DTV to the internet so we can purchase movies using our remote....and we got it for free. (a regular 79.99 value plus installation)

    I don't know how he manges to to this shit all the time...but he does. Everywhere we go we manage to find Steelers fans...that treat us like family.



  17. #17
    Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    N Y C / Chicago
    Gender
    Posts
    26,248

    Re: DirecTV screw job

    I love DirecTV . They always bend backwards to help a customer out . Ive had the Sunday Ticket since year one and havent paid the full price of the service since that year .If I can remember , last year I paid $ 150.00 for the ticket which included the HD pack and the live streaming on my laptop .

  18. #18
    Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    11,535

    Re: DirecTV screw job

    Quote Originally Posted by pepsyman1 View Post
    ???? How does asking for Philly as your home network get you Steelers games? Philadelphia IS my home network and that's why I got Sunday Ticket because the Eagles and Steelers are usually playing at the same time and I would always be stuck watching the Eagles.
    Maybe it's O.E. and that you need to change the channel from Fox to CBS. Just kidding. That's weird, you should get the Steelers games on CBS.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •