Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jim Tressel Resigns

Senior Member Array title="Nadroj 20 is just really nice"> Nadroj 20's Avatar

Jim Tressel Resigns

Embattled coach Jim Tressel, two months after apologizing for fallout that resulted in suspensions for him and several of his players, has resigned from Ohio State.

"After meeting with university officials, we agreed that it is in the best interest of Ohio State that I resign as head football coach," Tressel said in a statement Monday morning. "The appreciation that Ellen and I have for the Buckeye Nation is immeasurable."
    Entire Article Here
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"
    ~Rest In Peace HometownGal~

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

Re: Jim Tressel Resigns

Kinda saw this one coming

Yeah it was just a matter of when.

Luke Fickell the assitant coach will take over as Head Coach for at least the upcoming season.

Good Luck Coach Fickell with what you have to deal with.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Urban Meyer, anyone?

(You heard it here second...Beano Cook beat me to it by like a day)
    Fire Goodell

I heard he is living in Columbus.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Oh, just so I don't sound like I just made this up...

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru.....OSU-Football.
    Fire Goodell

AKA xfl2001fan-GO BROWNS! Array title="GitNoLuv is on a distinguished road"> GitNoLuv's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nadroj 20 View Post
    I heard he is living in Columbus.
    That's been the rumors around these parts by the local sports guys. It wouldn't surprise me if Urban Myer came here...but I am not sure I want the guy. He's cited health reasons for leaving Florida...and expectations here in Columbus are very high every year. If he can't handle Florida football, he can't handle OSU.
    Official SteelUniverse Guru and BrainTrust Committee Chairman!!!

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    Oh, just so I don't sound like I just made this up...

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru.....OSU-Football.
    Dude, youre psychic....thats pretty good. Do you live in Ohio, I dont remember. I figured Tressel was out, but didnt here anything about Meyer being a candidate. Maybe its because who gives a damn about ohio football, lol

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

lmao...see ya vest.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by GitNoLuv View Post
    That's been the rumors around these parts by the local sports guys. It wouldn't surprise me if Urban Myer came here...but I am not sure I want the guy. He's cited health reasons for leaving Florida...and expectations here in Columbus are very high every year. If he can't handle Florida football, he can't handle OSU.
    Yes all the health issues makes it seem like he would not be interested, but I see it being a possibilty that he coached at OSU in 2012. Taking a year off will hopefully help those problems.

Tiger Lion and Steel Array title="SteelCityMan786 will become famous soon enough"> SteelCityMan786's Avatar

Where the lands are a mix of Black and Gold with some Blue and White

786 Ways to score touchdowns

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

This was inevitable. He lied to the NCAA and now all this stuff is coming out about cars and other stuff, true or not.

In the end, the players know that they are breaking the rules and they make the choice. When you come to college, you are responsible for your own actions, you are no longer some high school kid.

I hope the Buckeyes decide to just kick the players who got any of these perks off of the team and rescinds their scholarships. They don't deserve to wear the Scarlet and Gray.

Good luck to Coach Fickel. If he wins 9-10 games (and beats scUM), I think they will remove the "interim" tag.

As for Urban Meyer.....he had a clause in all of his HC contracts that he could leave that job for Ohio State, Notre Dame, or Michigan without a buyout. And some rumors are that he left Florida for "medical reasons" not because of medical reasons but because he knew JT was going to retire (in like 2013) and this way there wouldn't be a mess with him leaving Florida for Ohio State.

However, during his tenure as Florida head coach...he had more players arrested than any other big program in major college football. So it's not like he's squeaky clean. Plus I hate the Gators and I wouldn't feel right with a former Florida HC walking the Buckeye sidelines.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

As far as Meyer, he never said he'd never coach again. I also understand that his condition is one that can actually incrementally heal over time, so it could be that he's near 100% again by now, or next year.

As far as the thuggery, well, I don't know...most of the accusations leveled against those Gator players were later dismissed. Furthermore, whoever is elected to helm the Bucks in the future will have a VERY short leash. This is the blackest eye EVER for the OSU football program, and the University simply won't tolerate any further chicanery.

Finally, this is about hiring the very best coach available. Meyer clearly fits that bill. With OSU's marquee recruiting value, and Meyers coaching ability, if this happens, expect MULTIPLE national championships for the Buckeyes over the next 10-15 years.

The haters will see their reason to hate exponentially increased.
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Meyer's Daughter Nicki was already tweeting about him and OSU over a month ago.

http://twitter.com/#!/Nicki_07/status/63013855776878592

I wonder if she is thinking he looks good in a sweater vest now that Tress is gone?

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Meyer's Daughter Nicki was already tweeting about him and OSU over a month ago.

http://twitter.com/#!/Nicki_07/status/63013855776878592

I wonder if she is thinking he looks good in a sweater vest now that Tress is gone?
    When I want to know what a man is thinking and planning, I always ask............................................his daughter. Via Twitter.

There is no more reliable source.

Well, MAYBE I ask his volunteer high school offensive line, or "The oracle" as I like to call those guys...
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Well, MAYBE I ask his volunteer high school offensive line, or "The oracle" as I like to call those guys...
    You know it!! Like they say, it all starts up front on the O-line!! I bet Jim Bollman started the Urban rumor before Beano or Nicki Meyer.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Why would Meyer walk into a situation where the team is likely to be on probation and ineligible for bowl games for several years, and be stripped of multiple scholarships?

Maybe two or three years down the road he might consider it, but I see little to no chance of him taking the helm at OSU anytime before 2013.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Why would Meyer walk into a situation where the team is likely to be on probation and ineligible for bowl games for several years, and be stripped of multiple scholarships?

Maybe two or three years down the road he might consider it, but I see little to no chance of him taking the helm at OSU anytime before 2013.
    The job won't even be available until AFTER next season. And I'm not entirely convinced that there will be all these sanctions. It looks like the University is going to pin this all on Tress, and if they can prove that this wasn't a system-wide breech, the program may be spared some of the harsher penalties. I thought it was interesting that when Meyer gave his obligatory "coach-speak" answer, he said he wasn't interested in coaching anywhere THIS FALL.

Could be Stoops, though...
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

The job won't even be available until AFTER next season. And I'm not entirely convinced that there will be all these sanctions. It looks like the University is going to pin this all on Tress, and if they can prove that this wasn't a system-wide breech, the program may be spared some of the harsher penalties. I thought it was interesting that when Meyer gave his obligatory "coach-speak" answer, he said he wasn't interested in coaching anywhere THIS FALL.

Could be Stoops, though...
    I don't see how they can give them less than what was given to USC? In fact I think they are in line for more.

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    I don't see how they can give them less than what was given to USC? In fact I think they are in line for more.
    USC's violations had tentacles through the whole organization. Remember that the WORST thing USC did was "lose institutional control". The key is that in USC's case, the NCAA looked at the entire organization and found a systemic problem. Those were allegations of agents making payments to players across multiple sports (Bush: Football, Mayo: Basketball) Nobody has made that determination about OSU yet, and it's quite likely a good deal of this will simply be dumped onto Tressel's lap.
    Fire Goodell

USC's violations had tentacles through the whole organization. Remember that the WORST thing USC did was "lose institutional control". The key is that in USC's case, the NCAA looked at the entire organization and found a systemic problem. Those were allegations of agents making payments to players across multiple sports (Bush: Football, Mayo: Basketball) Nobody has made that determination about OSU yet, and it's quite likely a good deal of this will simply be dumped onto Tressel's lap.
    I don't know, but I think they're certainly skirting right along that fault line of institutional control when it comes to Terrell Pryor. From what I understand anytime an athlete gets a new car it's supposed to be reported to the compliance officer. And if he's not reporting it to the compliance officer and the coaches aren't asking him about them, then that in my opinion would qualify as lacking in instintutional control. And judging by the fact that right in the middle of this swirling contraversy dumb ass Pryor drives a z car complete with rims to a team activity yesterday I'm guessing that the coaches and or the compliance officer didn't exercise due diligence in regards to Mr Pyror's activities. Also it's been reported that he's heisted all sorts of equipment out of the locker room, which he then used as swag to obtain other goods, again I'm guessing that many a blind eye was turned by the people who ought to have known better.

Maybe I'm wrong, but when this is all said and done I predict that the Buckeyes will lose a multitude of scholarships and be banned from bowl games for several years. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other, that's just the sense I have about this.

But I will opine this, I do believe that OSU should be forced to vacate all their wins from last season. Once it came to light that Tressell knowingly covered up information that would have led to suspensions of key players going into the season that should be enough to invalidate their wins.
    Last edited by zulater; 06-01-2011 at 09:12 PM.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Tressel should sign on with USC or the Bungals, he'd be a perfect fit

With everything that has come to light RIGHT NOW. I do not think OSU should get hit as hard as USC, but with that being said...there is still plenty more that COULD be discovered about pryor and stuff like that, so it is possible for them to get hit extremely hard. Thats my opinion anyway.

Tiger Lion and Steel Array title="SteelCityMan786 will become famous soon enough"> SteelCityMan786's Avatar

Where the lands are a mix of Black and Gold with some Blue and White

With everything that has come to light RIGHT NOW. I do not think OSU should get hit as hard as USC, but with that being said...there is still plenty more that COULD be discovered about pryor and stuff like that, so it is possible for them to get hit extremely hard. Thats my opinion anyway.
    This is far worse then what happened at USC. OSU's scandal makes USC look tame by comparison.
    786 Ways to score touchdowns

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...2_a5&eref=sihp

This guy sure is hard not to dislike.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
    This is far worse then what happened at USC. OSU's scandal makes USC look tame by comparison.
    How? The players that sold merchandise have already been suspended and the guy who kept everything a big secret is gone. So unless more information comes to light..how is this far worse then a school who commited multiple violations in more sports then just football?

How? The players that sold merchandise have already been suspended and the guy who kept everything a big secret is gone. So unless more information comes to light..how is this far worse then a school who commited multiple violations in more sports then just football?
    How, because the new evidence is suggesting that 9 current players are involved in this at OSU, and that it goes back as far as 8 years with as many as 28 total players involved.

My question is how this is way worse then USC? When did USC's violations suddenly become not that big a deal?

There is no way these violations make USC stuff look..."tame"

This is going to be pinned to Tressel. All of it. The amount that sticks will determine how badly OSU gets stung as a program.

By the way, ANYone who thinks this doesn't go on at EVERY major 1-A program, please email me, because I think the Nigerian President has an offer for you that you won't be able to refuse.

Oh, I'm done with Pryor, too. Out with Pryor...let's start the Braxton Miller era.
    Fire Goodell

My question is how this is way worse then USC? When did USC's violations suddenly become not that big a deal?

There is no way these violations make USC stuff look..."tame"
    I agree, Bush allegedly got more than $100k in benefits for he and his family, Joe McKnight may have got an SUV, Leinart and Jarrett are also suspected of receiving benefits and then you cross over into Basketball where OJ Mayo's handler was getting paid.

Sure, the OSU cars, ink, selling of team items may have been going on for years, but its not much worse if at all than USC. (IMO)