Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jim Tressel Resigns

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Re: Jim Tressel Resigns

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    This is going to be pinned to Tressel. All of it. The amount that sticks will determine how badly OSU gets stung as a program.

By the way, ANYone who thinks this doesn't go on at EVERY major 1-A program, please email me, because I think the Nigerian President has an offer for you that you won't be able to refuse.

Oh, I'm done with Pryor, too. Out with Pryor...let's start the Braxton Miller era.
    Maybe with the exception of Stanford and the military academy's I would tend to agree with you.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Notre Dame as well...at least academically. The other 115 schools are fair game...
    Fire Goodell

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Pryor's attorney (Huh...I didn't have an attorney when I was in college!) fires back, explains cars...

http://www.ohio.com/sports/123085008.html

COLUMBUS: The lawyer for Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor has questioned the facts in a Sports Illustrated special report on the Buckeyes' NCAA problems, saying the story is ''90 percent wrong.''

Columbus attorney Larry James also said there is nothing out of the ordinary about the cars Pryor has driven or purchased.

''I think there's a misperception about Terrelle, there's a misperception about the overall program as brought about in part by the Sports Illustrated article that everybody's just taken to the bank,'' James said Thursday.
    Fire Goodell

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

I was watching the Memorial Golf Tournament this morning and they interviewed Jack Nicklaus. ( OSU alum)

He has entered the debate by saying that Jim Tressel is essentially guilty of being an old school coach who tried to be a protective father figure for his players. Jack indicated that he believed that in todays internet / social media age that is was now impossible to hide anything from the media and ultimately Tressel was always going to be caught out.

My take on the interview was that Jack believed that Tressel was acting in an old school way that in essence has no real place in todays reality. Jack valued Tressels intent but also indicated that ultimately it was naive to think that he could believe that he could get away with it. Rules are rules therefore Tressel had to go.

Suit - is this a common view shared by the old school OSU fans. Good intent but ultimately foolish for the overall benefit of the program and will set the program back immeasurably.

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

I don't know...I think people are just in shock, and reflexively want to defend the good name of the university. Think about how widely and highly regarded Tress was: It was almost compulsory when describing him to talk about his integrity. This guy is no Lane Kiffin, yet, in the end, he sort of was.

I feel duped, to tell you the truth. It may in fact be the case that he's been doing this for a long time, even back at YSU. His intentions may be honorable, but in the end, what difference does it make? The outcomes are all the same...
    Fire Goodell

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    I don't know...I think people are just in shock, and reflexively want to defend the good name of the university. Think about how widely and highly regarded Tress was: It was almost compulsory when describing him to talk about his integrity. This guy is no Lane Kiffin, yet, in the end, he sort of was.

I feel duped, to tell you the truth. It may in fact be the case that he's been doing this for a long time, even back at YSU. His intentions may be honorable, but in the end, what difference does it make? The outcomes are all the same...
    Thanks Suit.

From my perspective I am wondering what impact this may now have on the supplemental draft. Will some OSU players now feel the need to jump from this ship and try their hand in the NFL

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

No, I don't see that happening. If they stayed, they'll stay, and in most cases, it should only cause their draft status to rise. I was really surprised to see how many '12 commits who could have bailed have decided to stay. That bodes well, at least so far.

I would, however, recommend that Pryor leave sooner rather than later. He's a better passer that Tebow, and may have a future in the NFL a few years from now. I'm sick of his antics and nonsense and just want to move on.
    Fire Goodell

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Colts hired him as a replay consultant...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Carolina Steelers has a spectacular aura about"> Carolina Steelers's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

Shouldnt he get a 5 game suspension like Prior? I think so he was the head coach and he lied to NCAA, I know he is in the NFL now but still he should get something.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Steelers View Post
    Shouldnt he get a 5 game suspension like Prior? I think so he was the head coach and he lied to NCAA, I know he is in the NFL now but still he should get something.
    That's not a bad observation. What he did was actually worse than what the players did.
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="Nadroj 20 is just really nice"> Nadroj 20's Avatar

Should he though? He lost his job, it isn't like he was going to be allowed to coach if he didn't "resign". Pryor bailed out of the NCAA to avoid suspension so Goodell still hit him with it.

Tressell paid pretty severly when he lost his job. Something tells me a replay assistant doesn't make near as much as a head coaching job at a premier D-I school.
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"
    ~Rest In Peace HometownGal~

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Same could be said about Pryor. I'm sure he took a pay cut going to the Raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Nadroj 20 is just really nice"> Nadroj 20's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Same could be said about Pryor. I'm sure he took a pay cut going to the Raiders.

You're probably right.

But there is a difference between being forced to leave and choosing to leave, so I think it is a little different situation, but I wouldn't be upset if they did suspend him a few games. Actually wouldn't surprise me all that much with Goodell calling the shots
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"
    ~Rest In Peace HometownGal~

Tressel can't start until week 7 because of the Pryor thing, so it looks like Goodell is reading these boards...
    Fire Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by Nadroj 20 View Post
    Should he though? He lost his job, it isn't like he was going to be allowed to coach if he didn't "resign". Pryor bailed out of the NCAA to avoid suspension so Goodell still hit him with it.

Tressell paid pretty severly when he lost his job. Something tells me a replay assistant doesn't make near as much as a head coaching job at a premier D-I school.
    He "resigned" so OSU could save it's program. They pinned everything on him so they could escape the whole institution being culpable. And it worked.
    Fire Goodell