Thread: 2011 2nd round pick Marcus Gilbert

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Re: 2011 2nd round pick Marcus Gilbert

Lock him up with Deebo for a week so he can get some grit. He will be fine.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

"Lacks physical and mental toughness and plays with the tempermant of a chardonnay drinker"

That is what scared me about him. I hope this guy is taken to the woodshed by Woodley all day in camp and bitched out by his buddy Pouncey for being soft. We need a guy who is gonna play from this draft....not another Tony Hills type pick.

I still wish we took DeMarcus Love at guard in the 5th round. He plays with an edge and could probably beat out Ramon Foster pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    "Lacks physical and mental toughness and plays with the tempermant of a chardonnay drinker"

That is what scared me about him. I hope this guy is taken to the woodshed by Woodley all day in camp and bitched out by his buddy Pouncey for being soft. We need a guy who is gonna play from this draft....not another Tony Hills type pick.

I still wish we took DeMarcus Love at guard in the 5th round. He plays with an edge and could probably beat out Ramon Foster pretty quick.
    I think he is going to surprise you Gonzo.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    I am not going to complain about this pick and sure as hell hope he works out but admittedly I am wondering if there is any particular reason(s) you feel that he is going to surprise us....or is it just a hunch?
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    I hope so. Its been a while since we drafted an OT this high and I would at least hope the guy came to work with the attitude of an O lineman.........not a somalier.

When I compare Gilbert to the last great Gator OT that we drafted....umm....Starks, I think Starks came with more of an attitude of being a run blocker(when he wanted to) and an aggressive attitude. Gilbert seems like a kids show host. I hope you are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    I am not going to complain about this pick and sure as hell hope he works out but admittedly I am wondering if there is any particular reason(s) you feel that he is going to surprise us....or is it just a hunch?
    I think we drafted two linemen with completely opposite mentalities.

Williams seems like a mauler who relies on strength and attitude but needs quite a bit of help with technique and motivation.

Gilbert has very good technique...is quick of the ball....very strong...great work ethic and extemely motivated. I see ZERO deficiencies that cant be worked out with a good line coach. As far as having a mean streak...He wont be the first o-linemen who excelled at the position by using only technique and strength.

I also add in the fact that Gilberts best friend is going to be playing on the same line with him and is going to be in his ear helping him understand the assignments.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

I'm on record as having a few question about Gilbert but have warmed up to him quite a bit. First of all, we have one of the best O-line coaches in the league which I believe had something to say about this pick. Secondly Gilbert may be the most versatile O-lineman in the draft, remember he did bounce around a bit, and still had a good carrier at Florida. I'm looking for some very good things out of this kid. I just hope we will have a TC to watch him.

AML