Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How 'bout that Tribe!

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

How 'bout that Tribe!

Best start in club history by many accounts. They've won more games in April than any other Indians club (and they were extremely formidable back in the day), and the 13-2 home record is the best since '41. If they beat the Rays tonight, 14-2 at home will be the best ever.

It's not so amazing considering that they've always had a strong farm system and a good eye for talent. They'll need to win whatever they are going to win this year, though, because the big payroll teams will come calling for any talent not signed to multi-year deals. Shin-Soo Choo, Rafael and Chris Perez, and Asdrubal Cabrera are all only signed to one year deals. They have a TON of FA's coming up in 2012, including Carlos Santana, and every starting pitcher but Carmona.

It's a fun team to watch...love seeing young guys playing their guts out and actually winning.
    Fire Goodell

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Re: How 'bout that Tribe!

I'm surprised they are playing this well - I don't think anyone expected them to be this good, this soon. Pretty much everyone thought the White Sox or Tigers would be leading the division by now, and the Tribe would be in or near the basement.

Now, if we can only do something about the Pirates...

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

When I read the title I instantly thought this would be about William and Mary.

The Borskinator Array title="Borski is on a distinguished road"> Borski's Avatar

Go Rays! (Their my #2 team behind the Pirates)

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

I think they are for real...they've swept several series now, and not all against schlop teams. Those West Coast road trips usually decimate East Coast teams, and they are 7-5. They'd be 8-4 if not for a 3-run error committed by Adam Everett against the Angels.

There is talk of actually ADDING a big-name to the roster before the trade deadline, in stark contrast to the last few seasons where they simply looked to dump salary.

Anyway, like I said, it's fun to watch kids playing a game they love and not just for the money...
    Fire Goodell

Case in point: Last nights 5-4 win over the Rays. It was a game they would have, for sure, lost last year. In this case, they walked off a winning run in the bottom of the ninth.

Manny Acta had it right when he said "Everyone wins 60 games...it's what you do with the other hundred that matters".

So far, the Indians have figured out a pretty good formula for those other games...
    Fire Goodell

Wow, poor Vin Mazzarro...Tribe beat him like a drum. 19-1 over the Royals...
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

I'm happy for the Indians, and also happy when I see any small market team in baseball succeed, such as the Marlins, Rays, Twins ( not so much this year) etc...What it really shows is that a competently run orginazation can succeed despite market size in baseball, and anyone who uses baseball's finances to excuse Nutting's ownership of a completely inept Pirates team is completely misguided.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

But the Pirates do share one common problem with the Tribe: When they DO cultivate a project player through their system into a star MLB player, that player will quickly be snatched up by a major market team with deep pockets. I don't believe the Dolan's have paid for ONE single high-ticket FA so far. And now the Tribe sits 2nd in the power rankings and has 9 guys on the All-ballot, 5 of which actually have a legitimate shot IN SPITE of the fan vote. This team will be gutted by free agency over the next two years...if they are going to win, it HAS to be this year.
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    But the Pirates do share one common problem with the Tribe: When they DO cultivate a project player through their system into a star MLB player, that player will quickly be snatched up by a major market team with deep pockets. I don't believe the Dolan's have paid for ONE single high-ticket FA so far. And now the Tribe sits 2nd in the power rankings and has 9 guys on the All-ballot, 5 of which actually have a legitimate shot IN SPITE of the fan vote. This team will be gutted by free agency over the next two years...if they are going to win, it HAS to be this year.
    Oh I agree that small market teams are at an disadvantage, it sucks that teams like the Indians and Rays have trouble keeping their top line talent. My only point was that baseball's economics aren't insurmountable for the better run teams.

Anyway I hope they keep it up through the year and make it all the way to the Series. Cleveland fans deserve a winner after all these years, well a winner, just so long as it's not the Browns.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

See ya, Reds...next up Red Sox!

Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="KeiselPower99 is on a distinguished road"> KeiselPower99's Avatar

I was able to watch the Reds series and really became a believer. When Sizemore and Hafner return fromt the DL its gonna be a great summer. I just wonder if they will go out and rent a few players for a playoff run or let the team keep on winning with the same formula.

The question is, who? They don't need a big bat if Hafner is DHing. Their outfield, when healthy and now that Brantley is finally playing up to expectations, may be the best in MLB. The only weak link in the IF MAY be Hannahan, but he has been excellent defensively and surprisingly effective at the plate.

Maybe a pitcher? Talbot looked bad a couple days ago, but the Sox were just on fire and lit up the whole staff. I like what they've got going, and they have both Gomez and White to call up in a pinch.
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="KeiselPower99 is on a distinguished road"> KeiselPower99's Avatar

Its been a bad couple of weeks.

Well, Carrasco saved our asses...1-0 to save from being swept.

Other than Carmona (who has stunk up the joint....I'd consider sending him down and giving Jeanmar Gomez a shot to pitch for a few weeks), the pitching has been way better than a 5-15 record. The hitting has just disappeared. Is Hafner (and to a lessor degree, Sizemore) REALLY that important to the lineup? What the Hell is wrong with Choo? A Career .300 hitter, batting .234 for the season, and less than his weight in this last slump.
    Fire Goodell

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

I hope they're still struggling when the Bucs come in this weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    I hope they're still struggling when the Bucs come in this weekend...
    No offense (the Pirates are my second favorite team) but I think that is exactly what the Indians doctor prescribed!
    Fire Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    No offense (the Pirates are my second favorite team) but I think that is exactly what the Indians doctor prescribed!
    Well, I hope the Indians take them as lightly, because (at least for now) these aren't the "same old Pirates." The Tribe had better make sure to show up for work this weekend, let's just say that.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

I wouldn't take the Pirates lightly just yet. Not yet at least. They've actually beat some pretty good teams this season. They're playing some pretty inspired ball, the most inspired I've ever seen during this long stretch. of losing.

Trust me, the Tribe is taking NO ONE lightly, now...but this has been a murderous stretch, playing the Rays, The Rangers (and the Indians cannot for the life of them figure Texas out), 4 in New York against the Yanks, and now the super hot Tigers in Detroit. They'll just be happy to be home.
    Fire Goodell

Sweet! Another sweep, and a 3-game win streak. I was impressed with the Pirates pitching...the Indians picked a good time to come out of their hitting slump.
    Fire Goodell

Blech! Swept in San Fran. Can't hit a lick!
    Fire Goodell

The Lonnie Chisenhall era has began!!! With the loss of Choo I really hope they can get a decent outfielder for cheap somewhere. And Carmona looked decent last night. I give him a few more starts to work out of his slump. We cant send him down because he has no more options left and would have to clear waivers.

I'm anxious to see if he can catch a little spark like Cord Phelps did (although he has been a bit of a liability in the field).

FA Needs:
    Left handed starting pitcher...worry about who gets shipped after the acquisition.
    OF with some pop. Ryan Ludwick get a second tour of duty with the Tribe?

Amazing they are still hovering around first after being decimated with injuries.
    Fire Goodell

Talbot hasnt looked the same since his trip to the DL and Carmona being sent there might his mind readjust. I read yesterday that the trip are looking at Ludwick Jeff Francour and Josh Willingham ans guys to help out while Choo is down. Also Congrats to Chris Perez and Asdrubal Cabrera for making the All Star game.

Tomlin deserves to be on that team, but as long as fan voting is in effect, it will continue to be a largely Yankee/Red Sox All-Star team, whether they deserve it or not. He's 10-4 with a 3.78 ERA, and the only pitchers with better records have also had one more start then him.

There are some players on that roster that are absolutely laughable. Russell Martin (C, Yankees) is batting .219. Jeter beating out Asdrubal Cabrera is proof-positive of Yankee fan ballot-box-stuffing. Letting fans vote 25 times a piece is borderline retarded.

Anyway, it was sweet watching the Tribe beat the evil empire last night....
    Fire Goodell

w00t!

Down 4-0, bottom of the ninth, the Tribe makes it 4-1, load em up, and Hafner knocks the walk-off slam for a 5-4 win.

Is that early season magic back?
    Fire Goodell

I found a Hafner shirt on ebay in March and bought it for 99 cents. I bet theres alot of people that are glad the Tribe didnt give up on him.

Playing stinkingly going into the break. What happened to Carrasco? He was their best pitcher for a spell, and he's sucked his last two outings....

Hafner is the only reason they didn't get swept...
    Fire Goodell

Picked up Fukudome from the Cubs. Not sure how much he will help.