Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Mocks

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Re: 2012 Mocks

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
    Reports from the shrine game indicate that Matt Reynolds played LT and he got abused by the speed rushers.

This will see his draft stock tumble. He will be now viewed as purely an OG and he will be a day 3 prospect only.
    Which is even worse because he lost weight for the purpose of being able to handle edge rushes.

Senior Member Array title="7willBheaven is on a distinguished road"> 7willBheaven's Avatar

Walts 1-25-12 - A day early this time

1st - 24th - Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama

(Cordy Glenn, G, Georgia; Dontari Poe, NT, Memphis; Zebrie Sanders, OT, Florida State; Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama; Kelechi Osemele, G, Iowa State - were still available)

2nd - 56th - Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington

(Kevin Zeitler, G, Wisconsin was still available here)

3rd - 87th - Bernard Pierce, RB, Temple

(Audie Cole, ILB, N.C. State; Michael Brewster, C, Ohio State; Senio Kelemete, G, Washington - all still available here...I know ILB was picked in the first, but they could easily have changed it to another position)

4th - 119th - Tony Bergstrom, OT, Utah

Black and Gold Lantern Array title="The Duke is just really nice"> The Duke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
    Reports from the shrine game indicate that Matt Reynolds played LT and he got abused by the speed rushers.

This will see his draft stock tumble. He will be now viewed as purely an OG and he will be a day 3 prospect only.
    well that blows. He's the one tackle I've been hoping we get....

Any chance Lucas Nix rises? If we miss out on a guard in 1-2 that's one guy we can't let go in the 3rd
    "We're a team. There's no offense. There's no defense. There's no special teams. We're one. We're a band of brothers." – Ben Roethlisberger

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    Great question.

I think we will take a NT with one of our first two picks...two o-linemen in the first three rounds....and possibly three o-linemen all together with a late round developmental o-line prospect.

Here is a break down of O-linemen that should be available in the first two rounds and/or also warrant consideration in the first two rounds.

Offensive Tackles:

1) Matt Kalil -Wont be there when we pick
    2) Riley Reiff - Wont be there when we pick
    3) Jonathan Martin- Wont be there when we pick
    4) Zebrie Sanders- Mixed reviews...I dont like him. Good character but is a waist bender and sluggish
    5) Mike Adams-If we take a OT in the first round...he is the most likely prospect. I like this kid alot.
    6) Bobby Massie- Draft board riser that several of us liked early on and hoped he would be there in the 4-5 round. 2nd round prospect
    7) Nate Potter- 2nd round developmental prospect...Excellent skills but would need a year to add 20-30 lbs and some strength....Good payoff for a patient team.

Offensive Guards:

1) David DeCastro- Possibly the best O-lineman in this draft. Long gone before we pick
    2) Cordy Glenn- good prospect and may be there. Boom or Bust prospect who's weight scares me a bit.
    3) Brandon Washington- One of those prospects that might slip through the cracks. Not good enough for the #24 oveall pick....but wont be there when we pick in the 2nd.
    4) Kelechi Osemele - Same might be said here...great value if he lasts until our pick in the second round. Might climb draft boards before then,
    5) Kevin Zeitler- Possibly my second favorite Guard prospect this year (Behind DeCastro)...another prospect who might climb before draft day.
    6) Amini Silatolu- Light on his feet for a big guy...I like him...Small school prospect who looks quick in a phone booth..if not on the move. Could be a draft day steal

Always enjoyable LTT....what are your thoughts on a NT at this point? Are you still thinking Worthy?

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Always enjoyable LTT....what are your thoughts on a NT at this point? Are you still thinking Worthy?
    DT's that I like for our system:

Jerel Worthy, Michigan State.... 6'3 310....mid 1st round pick...great motor and strength...vocal team leader...hard worker...probably scooped up early by a 4-3 team.
    Dontari Poe, Memphis....6'5 350....should be there at #24....stats are only credible but decieving...demanded double teams, allowing teammates to get to ballcarrier.
    Brandon Thompson, Clemson....6'2 311....scary strong prospect...great burst off the ball...Not worth the #24 spot but wont last past mid 2nd.
    Josh Chapman, Alabama...6'1 310....Might be in demand for 4-3 team. Great strength...demands the double team...tough as nails..I would take him at #24.
    Alameda Ta'amu, Washington...6'3 341...Some boards have him as a 3rd rounder due to nagging injuries...my favorite 2nd round NT prospect...strong...explosive of the snap.
    Hebron Fangupo, Brigham Young...6'1 331...If we go with O-line in first two rounds.. might be our 3rd round pick...gets upright, but coachable...strong...could be a steal.
    Akiem Hicks, Regina...6'5 324...DT/DE tweener....impressed at east/west shrine game....character concerns...not explosive...seems rather stiff and slow to me.
    Nicolas Jean-Baptiste...Baylor...6'2 335...Developmental prospect... worth a look in the late rounds...needs coached up on hand placement and keeping his pads lower.
    Ishmaa'ily Kitchen, Kent State...6'3 334...UDFA sleeper....had an injured elbow his senior year...not on most draft boards yet...but could rise based on post season workouts.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Nice breakdown LLT, got to say I am liking what I see from Osemele at the Sr Bowl this week. Think he is a solid guard prospect, but could play RT if Colon does not recover well from injury.

Sanders is up and down. Not sure I would spend a pick on a RT at #24 in him. I think overrated.

Ta'amu looks sluggish, like he is carrying more weight than he needs to. I think he may slip to the top of the 3rd round.

I'd be happy if we got Poe, Osemele, Tank Carder with our first 3 picks.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Good stuff LLT....thanks! Looks like Casey is getting ACL surgery after all.

El....do you think we'll keep Colon?

The Virginia Hillbilly Array title="Galax Steeler is a splendid one to behold"> Galax Steeler's Avatar

24. Pittsburgh Steelers: Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama
    56. Pittsburgh Steelers: Almadela Ta'amu, NT, Washington
    87. Pittsburgh Steelers: D'Anton Lynn, CB, Penn State
    125. Pittsburgh Steelers: Terrance Ganaway, RB/FB, Baylor
    155. Pittsburgh Steelers: Trenton Robinson, FS, Michigan State
    187. Pittsburgh Steelers: Al Netter, OT, Northwestern
    217. Pittsburgh Steelers: Ben Burkett, C, Northwestern

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Good stuff LLT....thanks! Looks like Casey is getting ACL surgery after all.

El....do you think we'll keep Colon?
    I think so. Colon signed a new contract last year and should be able to come back from his tricep injury. I think they will look to give Gilbert the shot at LT unless somebody drops there in the Draft. Osemele has the flexibility to play G or RT that I think would be useful. I am one of the biggest O line proponents here, but honestly think NT is the biggest need for the team unless they find a Free Agent.

Pouncey, Gilbert, Colon, Osemele, Foster could be a good unit, with Scott, Chris Scott, Legursky and another rookie as backups.

Senior Member Array title="7willBheaven is on a distinguished road"> 7willBheaven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
    24. Pittsburgh Steelers: Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama
    56. Pittsburgh Steelers: Almadela Ta'amu, NT, Washington
    87. Pittsburgh Steelers: D'Anton Lynn, CB, Penn State
    125. Pittsburgh Steelers: Terrance Ganaway, RB/FB, Baylor
    155. Pittsburgh Steelers: Trenton Robinson, FS, Michigan State
    187. Pittsburgh Steelers: Al Netter, OT, Northwestern
    217. Pittsburgh Steelers: Ben Burkett, C, Northwestern

No online until the 6th round? Thats just terrible. Replace the CB pick with an OL pick at least. I really dont know much about the rest to even comment on them though.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I think so. Colon signed a new contract last year and should be able to come back from his tricep injury. I think they will look to give Gilbert the shot at LT unless somebody drops there in the Draft. Osemele has the flexibility to play G or RT that I think would be useful. I am one of the biggest O line proponents here, but honestly think NT is the biggest need for the team unless they find a Free Agent.

Pouncey, Gilbert, Colon, Osemele, Foster could be a good unit, with Scott, Chris Scott, Legursky and another rookie as backups.
    Thanks for that El.....I'm looking forward to the draft!

Quote Originally Posted by 7willBheaven View Post
    No online until the 6th round? Thats just terrible. Replace the CB pick with an OL pick at least. I really dont know much about the rest to even comment on them though.
    I agree, we need some O line help early this year, but Steelers known for going BAA.

Thanks for that El.....I'm looking forward to the draft!
    No problem, but were all just throwing darts at the wall. Except for P. Biggerstaff.

The Virginia Hillbilly Array title="Galax Steeler is a splendid one to behold"> Galax Steeler's Avatar

24. Pittsburgh Steelers - Cordy Glenn - OG - 6'5"/348 lbs.
    Need to improve that offense. Glenn will help the offensive line that's slowing it down.

A standout wherever the Georgia Bulldogs needed him, Cordy Glenn enters his senior campaign having started 36 games at left guard, right guard and left tackle. Scouts aren't only impressed with his versatility, they're left in awe at the athleticism demonstrated by the 6-5, 338 pound mountain of a man.

Glenn was a highly touted prep prospect who stepped into the starting lineup early after redshirting in 2007. While appearing in 13 games, he started ten times; seven games at left guard and three games on the right side. Glenn's ability to play multiple positions was tested even more in 2009 as injuries to teammates forced the Bulldogs to move Glenn from right guard in the season-opener against Oklahoma State to left tackle for four games and back to left guard for the final eight contests. Glenn enjoyed his finest season to date as a junior, starting all 13 games at left guard. Glenn explored his NFL options following the 2010 season, but elected to return for his senior campaign with the hope of seeing time at left tackle and recognizing that the 2011 crop of offensive linemen was a solid group.

Glenn has practiced at left tackle in the spring and is expected to remain at the position throughout his senior campaign. At his size, he may struggle with the speed rushers of the SEC and, as such, may project better as a right tackle or back at guard in the NFL. The value placed on left tackles certainly makes his movement there a gamble worth watching. Should he struggle there, however, scouts have already seen what kind of a difference-maker he can be on the inside.

Pass blocking: Eases out of his stance and waits for the defender to come to him. Possesses long arms and is very powerful, often easily controlling his opponent. Naturally balanced with good lateral agility to mirror the defender. Wide-bodied so opponents can rarely get past him and has an excellent anchor so bull rushes are futile. Nitpicking, but can be a bit inconsistent with his recognition on combination blocks. Typically gets an initial punch in on the defensive tackle before switching off to take on the blitzing linebacker, but can be fooled and miss his assignment (Florida). Can get a bit lazy with his hand placement, making him vulnerable to swim moves.

Run blocking: Excellent size and strength as a drive blocker. Can get fundamentally lazy, at times, playing too high and/or being a beat late off the snap. As such, he can miss with his initial punch and fail to push back his target. More often, he shows good hand placement and the leg drive to clear a hole. Powerful. Can knock defenders off the ball, providing impressive pancake blocks against even talented opponents. Good recognition in combination blocks in the running game. Good, powerful initial shove to the defensive tackle and gets to the second level with good quickness. Shows the ability to adjust his path to locate and attack his target. Rare body control for a man of his size when blocking at the second level.

Pulling/trapping: Shows surprising quickness and fluidity when pulling from left guard to lead on the toss and counter. Light on his feet and can adjust to hit the moving target at the second level.

Initial Quickness: A bit inconsistent with his initial get-off, though this may be simply a concentration issue with the snap-count. Demonstrates good initial quickness off the snap (especially for a man of his size) when pulling, but can be a beat late off the snap on other plays. Rarely is he actually beaten when late off the snap, however, due to his girth and long, powerful arms to catch and contain his assignment.

Downfield: Perhaps his most impressive trait, which is saying something. Gets to the second level quickly and consistently erases linebackers from the play. Doesn't waste his energy with pancake blocks, but instead seals off the defender completely, assuring that his assignment isn't in position to impact the ball-carrier.

Intangibles: Has four starts at left tackle over his career (all in 2009) entering the 2011 season. Turned in his paperwork to the NFL Draft Advisory Committee following last season but elected to return based partially on the plan to see more time at left tackle in 2011

Dontari Poe

Galax, I like Glenn, but #24 is way too early for him IMO. I could be wrong, but as much as he is a large man, he doesnt have great feet to play on the outside from what I see. Some hype might drive his stock up, but I think he is more 2nd-3rd round grade.

Is that Don Banks mock draft? Banks always kills me. There are probably 4-5 posters in this forum that can construct better mocks than him. Now, Poe is a pick at #24 that is Worthy.

Kelechi Osemele, Offensive Guard/Tackle, Iowa State

From a purely physical standpoint, no player at the 2012 Senior Bowl was more impressive than Kelechi Osemele of Iowa State.

The big man lined up at both guard and tackle, showing the strength and agility to be a factor anywhere along the offensive line. He projects best to left guard, which is where the Pittsburgh Steelers have a major need.

The trio of Doug Legursky, Ramon Foster and Chris Kemoeatu are among the worst guards in the NFL. The Steelers could use as many as two new offensive guards through free agency and the draft.

Kelechi Osemele, Offensive Guard/Tackle, Iowa State

From a purely physical standpoint, no player at the 2012 Senior Bowl was more impressive than Kelechi Osemele of Iowa State.

The big man lined up at both guard and tackle, showing the strength and agility to be a factor anywhere along the offensive line. He projects best to left guard, which is where the Pittsburgh Steelers have a major need.

The trio of Doug Legursky, Ramon Foster and Chris Kemoeatu are among the worst guards in the NFL. The Steelers could use as many as two new offensive guards through free agency and the draft.
    I really liked what I saw from Osemele, but also think guys like Zeitler, Glenn and later round guy like Mitchell Schwartz can help up front. Consider that DeCastro and Konz are there too and I think we can find a good interior lineman with our 2nd round pick

Walts 2-1-12

( Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin; Dontari Poe, NT, Memphis; Zebrie Sanders, OT, Florida State; Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama; Kelechi Osemele, G, Iowa State; Brandon Washington, G/OT, Miami - were still available)

2nd - 56th - Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington

(Josh Chapman, NT, Alabama; Kevin Zeitler, G, Wisconsin was still available here)

(Kevin Zeitler, G, Wisconsin; Nate Potter, OT/G, Boise State; Audie Cole, ILB, N.C. State; Michael Brewster, C, Ohio State; Senio Kelemete, G, Washington - all still available here...I know ILB was picked in the first, but they could easily have changed it to another position)

4th - 119th - Andrew Datko, OT, Florida State

(Aaron Henry, S, Wisconsin; James-Michael Johnson, ILB, Nevada - still available)

--------------------

Only one change to the Steelers picks...the 4th round...which is usually the only one he changes anymore.

Charlie 2-2-12

1st - 24th - Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State

(Dontari Poe, NT, Memphis; Vontaze Burfict, MLB, Arizona State; Chase Minnifield, CB, Virginia; Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama; Kelechi Osemele, G/T, Iowa State; Kevin Zeitler, G, Wisconsin - were still available)

2nd - 56th - David Wilson, RB, Virginia Tech

(Mike Brewster, C, Ohio State; Andrew Datko, OT, Florida State; Bobby Massie, OT, Ole Miss; Josh Chapman, NT, Alabama; Tank Carder, ILB, TCU; Brandon Washington, G, Miami; Nate Potter, OT, Boise State; Audie Cole, ILB, N.C. State were still available here)

3rd - 87th - Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington

(Lucas Nix, G/T, Pittsburgh; James-Michael Johnson, ILB, Nevada; Emmanuel Acho, ILB/OLB, Texas - all still available here)

4th - 119th - Will Blackwell, G, LSU

(Ryan Miller, G, Colorado - still available)

-------------------

One of Charlie's better mocks...however NO to the 2nd rounder...ILB needs to be there somewhere. At least he didnt have another OLB/DE in there too like he usually does, hahaha.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Charlie 2-2-12

(Dontari Poe, NT, Memphis; Vontaze Burfict, MLB, Arizona State; Chase Minnifield, CB, Virginia; Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama; Kelechi Osemele, G/T, Iowa State; Kevin Zeitler, G, Wisconsin - were still available)

(Mike Brewster, C, Ohio State; Andrew Datko, OT, Florida State; Bobby Massie, OT, Ole Miss; Josh Chapman, NT, Alabama; Tank Carder, ILB, TCU; Brandon Washington, G, Miami; Nate Potter, OT, Boise State; Audie Cole, ILB, N.C. State were still available here)

(Lucas Nix, G/T, Pittsburgh; James-Michael Johnson, ILB, Nevada; Emmanuel Acho, ILB/OLB, Texas - all still available here)

4th - 119th - Will Blackwell, G, LSU

(Ryan Miller, G, Colorado - still available)

-------------------

One of Charlie's better mocks...however NO to the 2nd rounder...ILB needs to be there somewhere. At least he didnt have another OLB/DE in there too like he usually does, hahaha.
    Wow! It almost looks like he did a little research on the Steeler needs since his last mock. Unfortunately it is still flawed. Take the RB away and replace it with an ILB and it is perfect

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Wow! It almost looks like he did a little research on the Steeler needs since his last mock. Unfortunately it is still flawed. Take the RB away and replace it with an ILB and it is perfect
    I know I was shocked...I was like wow it only took him like 10-15 mocks or whatever to get it somewhat right based on their needs.

Walts 2-8-12

(Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin; Dontari Poe, NT, Memphis; Vontaze Burfict, ILB, Arizona State; Kevin Zeitler, G, Wisconsin; Kelechi Osemele, G, Iowa State - were still available)

2nd - 56th - Kelechi Osemele, G, Iowa State

(Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington; Brandon Washington, G/OT, Miami; Josh Chapman, NT, Alabama; Kevin Zeitler, G, Wisconsin was still available here)

(Josh Chapman, NT, Alabama; Nate Potter, OT/G, Boise State; Audie Cole, ILB, N.C. State; Michael Brewster, C, Ohio State; Senio Kelemete, G, Washington - still available)

4th - 119th - Andrew Datko, OT, Florida State

(Nate Potter, OT/G, Boise State - still available)

----------------

Again switch the 3rd rd pick with a NT (Chapman) and I'd be fine with this!

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

I'm not sure about the 4th round pick either. You know I have been a big Datko fan, but the fact that he is continuing to fall make me think that someone knows more about his injury. If he comes back 100% from the injury, we have an early 2nd rounder that might be able to hold down the LT spot for the next dozen years, and we got him in the 4th round. Still, Nate Potter could be a safer pick.

AML

I like how Walt always leaves out one of the three big needs (OG, NT, ILB) to make room for a RB (which is not needed)

Black and Gold Lantern Array title="The Duke is just really nice"> The Duke's Avatar

I see Datko as a tony hills situation. Very talented but with huge injury concerns

really don't mind taking a talented guy like that in the 4th, so long as we already have a guard from rounds 1-3
    "We're a team. There's no offense. There's no defense. There's no special teams. We're one. We're a band of brothers." – Ben Roethlisberger

Charlie 2-9-12

4th - 119th - Ryan Miller, G, Colorado

Charlie 2-9-12

4th - 119th - Ryan Miller, G, Colorado
    All picks are good except the 2nd round pick, the 2nd round pick is HORRIBLE

Walts 2-15-12

2nd - 56th - Kelechi Osemele, G, Iowa State

4th - 119th - Akiem Hicks, NT, Canada

----------------

Never seen/heard of this 4th round pick. And he's just from Canada? No school or what?

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    All picks are good except the 2nd round pick, the 2nd round pick is HORRIBLE
    He may not be a need for us but Wilson is explosive and has speed I wouldn't mind it.

He may not be a need for us but Wilson is explosive and has speed I wouldn't mind it.
    Wilson may be explosive but the Steelers have no need for a RB. It would be dumb for Pittsburgh to actually ignore ILB in favor of a RB