Thread: 2012

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Is it to early to start looking at 2012? Not for me it isn't particularly since there seem to be so many that are unhappy, not so much with the picks, but the absents or lateness of a position that they though was an urgent need. With that in mind I would like to start with the NTs. IMO 2012 NTs are much deeper and better at the top than 2011. This could be the reason they decided not to go with a NT this year.

Tydreke Powel
    /l NC / 6'3" 310 May enter the 2012 draft as the top rated DT.
    Josh Chapman / Alabama / 6'1" 310 As I stated this is my favorite going it next year. I think he could put on a pound or two without effecting his play. A very strong NT who's playing style has been compared to Hampton.
    Alameda Ta'amu / Washington / 6'3" 330 The largest of the top prospects, he has size and strength, but not as quick of the line.
    Brandon Thompson / Clemson / Much like Josh Chapman but not quite as strong.

Powell may start the year rated as a 1st round talent, the other 3 likely a 2nd. We will see where they go from there.

These are the easy ones to pick out, from here it will take a little more work. A dark horse I was going to give was Jewhan Edwards of Minnesota but I am hearing that he has left school.

Anyone else have a player they think bares watching?

AML

Senior Member Array title="7willBheaven is on a distinguished road"> 7willBheaven's Avatar

Re: 2012

And here I thought this was about the world ending...hahaha

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

Hey I got zero picks right this year........

So I am working on getting a start on 2012

Hows this sound Tex for starters??

1. Jeff Fuller WR Texas A&M 6'3 215
    2. Donta Hightower ILB Alabama 6'4 258
    3. Alameda Ta'amu NT Washington 6'3 330

I am guessing we need an OT so I will pick anything but..

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

I do like those very much. Hightower is a kid I was planning of zeroing in on, and Ta'amu would make a lot of people, including me very happy.

OT look like it may been a little better and deeper at the top next year, but I don't know who good the 3rd round OT are going to be yet. OT my be a position we attack early or let alone. Hard to tell right now.

AML

Black and Gold Lantern Array title="The Duke is just really nice"> The Duke's Avatar

Matt Reynolds is still my favorite tackle from the past few years, but I think he'll put himself out of our range this season

If we hadn't drafted Heyward I would have loved Jared Crick next year. Dude reminds me so much of aaron smith not only in his style of playing but as a person
    "We're a team. There's no offense. There's no defense. There's no special teams. We're one. We're a band of brothers." – Ben Roethlisberger

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    Matt Reynolds is still my favorite tackle from the past few years, but I think he'll put himself out of our range this season

If we hadn't drafted Heyward I would have loved Jared Crick next year. Dude reminds me so much of aaron smith not only in his style of playing but as a person
    I pimped Matt Reynolds pretty hard as a junior hoping he would declare.

Unfortunately the more tape I watched of him the more my opinion changed. He didnt inspire confidence in me as a natural left tackle as he tackled higher level competition. He looked slow with his feet. I am looking forward to seeing how he plays this year. We have to remember he is nearly in the Danny Watkins age range.

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    I do like those very much. Hightower is a kid I was planning of zeroing in on, and Ta'amu would make a lot of people, including me very happy
    Here are some clips from big games last season on some of the LB talent for 2012

Donta Hightower - looks like our 3-4 ILB thumper
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyeXZTTcz8E

Vontaze Burfict - #1 ranked LB. Looks more like a 4-3 OLB
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxQEkLHo0F4

Courtney Upshaw - DE / OLB
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6DGTN-_qxU

Tank Carder
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBQTw7zBv1k

I know who I like after looking at those. What about you Tex?

Senior Member Array title="7willBheaven is on a distinguished road"> 7willBheaven's Avatar

I know nothing about any of the 2012 prospects and probably wont for a while. But with them taking an OT in the 2nd this year...I doubt they target one early next year. The biggest needs for next year will probably be NT and S (possibly CB but not sure - depends how things go this year). If Timmons and Woodley are re-signed then those positions do not become a huge need. Other than that I'm not sure what other big needs they'd have...I guess it'll depend on how this season goes...who goes and who stays, etc.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

One of the spots we did not address this year is TE. I'm not sold on Spaeth as heath's backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post

I know who I like after looking at those. What about you Tex?

I like the two underclassmen, if they come out, with Hightower my overwhelming favorite.

Upshaw is going to be a tremendous prospect, but I'm afraid the transition may be to great, even though he is listed as an ILB. Besides I don't think we will have any kind of shot at him. I do love my local boy Tank.

That is a very good list, but might suggest you add a name. Acho's baby brother Emmanuel. He's not as big as his brother, but may be a little quick.

AML

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    One of the spots we did not address this year is TE. I'm not sold on Spaeth as heath's backup.
    problem with TE anymore is you have all these spread O and you get a pass catching TE with 0 blocking skills at least i have seen this as a trend for a few years. i think it is only gonna get worse

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Member Array title="taztroy43 is an unknown quantity at this point">

I would like Monte Teo MLB Norte Dame...this guy is a beast in the middle...I think in 2012 it's going to be between Burflict and Teo as the best MLBs in the draft...I think Teo would be realistic for us since Burflict might go off the board first...

Quote Originally Posted by taztroy43 View Post
    I would like Monte Teo MLB Norte Dame...this guy is a beast in the middle...I think in 2012 it's going to be between Burflict and Teo as the best MLBs in the draft...I think Teo would be realistic for us since Burflict might go off the board first...
    If Teo and Burfict do come out they should be high picks, but if I had to pick today, I would still take Hightower. I mean if he comes out of course.

AML

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

I'm interested in this Burfict kid. I've watched a little of him and he sounds like a monster. But he might be a little too violent if there can be such a thing for a LB.

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    I'm interested in this Burfict kid. I've watched a little of him and he sounds like a monster. But he might be a little too violent if there can be such a thing for a LB.

I these three underclassmen come out this should be a very interesting LBer class. We could easily go LB in the 1st round next year.

AML

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

I really like LB Mante T'eo and WR Michael Floyd from Notre Dame. Of course both will likely be top 20 picks so we will have no shot at either.... assuming we don't have another 2009....

If the top 4 underclassmen ILBers come out. Hightower, Burfict, Kuechly, and T'eo, I could see 5 ILBs ending up with first round grade, and this doesn't even count the players figured to be OLBer. If this does happen, I will almost bet we go LBer in the 1st next year. My favorite would still be Hightower. The clips Aussie left only confirmed that.

AML

Manti Teo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdJ9lC9UhRY

Luke Kuechly
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz1g1K-wPqo

And what if this guy comes out

Shane Skov
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amQU1TPoj1g

That could be very interesting if all declare

Possibly
    1. Luke Kuechly
    2. Vontaze Burfict
    3. Courtney Upshaw
    4. Manti Teo
    5. Donta Hightower
    6. Tank Carder
    7. Chris Gallipo

and I am not sure where to put Shane Skov if he is eligible. That is quite the list of LB's

NT
    Tydreke Powel
    /l NC / 6'3" 310
    Josh Chapman / Alabama / 6'1" 310
    Alameda Ta'amu / Washington / 6'3" 330
    Brandon Thompson / Clemson / 6'2" 310

Possible underclassmen
    Jerel Worthy / Michigan St. / 6'3" 305

ILB

Courtney Upshaw / Alabama / 6'2" 263
    Chris Galippo / Southern Cal. / 6'2' 250

Possible underclassmen
    Vonataze Burfict / Arizona St. / 6'3" 245
    Donta Hightower / Alabama / 2'4" 258
    Luke Kuechly / Boston Collage / 6'2" 235
    Manti Te'o / ND / 6'2" 245

OLB
    (Including DE/OLB)
    Zack Brown / NC / 6'2'' 230
    Travis Lewis / Oklahoma / 6'2'' 235
    Brandon Lindsey / Pitt / 6'2'' 250
    Tank Carter / TCU / 6'2'' 240
    Andre Branch / Clemson / 6'4'' 258
    Vinny Curry / Marshall / 6'4 252

Possible underclassmen
    Ronnall Lewis / Oklahoma / 6'2'' 240
    Donte Paige-Moss / NC / 6'4'' 258
    Brandon Jenkins / Florida St. / 6'3' 255
    Cameron Meredith / Nebraska / 6'4'' 265

Anyone want to talk about OLB

AML

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    NT
    Tydreke Powel
    /l NC / 6'3" 310
    Josh Chapman / Alabama / 6'1" 310
    Alameda Ta'amu / Washington / 6'3" 330
    Brandon Thompson / Clemson / 6'2" 310

Possible underclassmen
    Jerel Worthy / Michigan St. / 6'3" 305

ILB

Courtney Upshaw / Alabama / 6'2" 263
    Chris Galippo / Southern Cal. / 6'2' 250

Possible underclassmen
    Vonataze Burfict / Arizona St. / 6'3" 245
    Donta Hightower / Alabama / 2'4" 258
    Luke Kuechly / Boston Collage / 6'2" 235
    Manti Te'o / ND / 6'2" 245

OLB
    (Including DE/OLB)
    Zack Brown / NC / 6'2'' 230
    Travis Lewis / Oklahoma / 6'2'' 235
    Brandon Lindsey / Pitt / 6'2'' 250
    Tank Carter / TCU / 6'2'' 240
    Andre Branch / Clemson / 6'4'' 258
    Vinny Curry / Marshall / 6'4 252

Possible underclassmen
    Ronnall Lewis / Oklahoma / 6'2'' 240
    Donte Paige-Moss / NC / 6'4'' 258
    Brandon Jenkins / Florida St. / 6'3' 255
    Cameron Meredith / Nebraska / 6'4'' 265

Anyone want to talk about OLB
    Thanks for breaking it down into Underclassmen/etc. Especially for those of us who do not know without having to take the time to check into each and every guy.

I'd rather not talk about OLB, hahah. As I do not think its a big need (even less than ILB is a need)

Quote Originally Posted by 7willBheaven View Post
    Thanks for breaking it down into Underclassmen/etc. Especially for those of us who do not know without having to take the time to check into each and every guy.

I'd rather not talk about OLB, hahah. As I do not think its a big need (even less than ILB is a need)

Just for you 7. Watch Emmanuel Acho of Texas if you get a chance. He is listed as an OLB, but I think he might play inside. I really do think we likely will look at ILB and right now he is figured to be a 3rd round pick.

AML