Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stoopid questions revisited

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Re: Stoopid questions revisited

i know this section of the forum is a new, but it is an AWESOME addition
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    i know this section of the forum is a new, but it is an AWESOME addition
    Glad you like it! I can't wait to watch it grow but I have to admit...you guys are over my head already!

Senior Member Array title="Kittyfish is a glorious beacon of light"> Kittyfish's Avatar

I am honored that my ignorance has spawned this whole new forum and my original thread is stickied, yet. Unfortunately, I imagine this will be my greatest and longest lasting contribution to the community. Hey, I'm not proud (obviously) - I'll take it!

Senior Member Array title="Kittyfish is a glorious beacon of light"> Kittyfish's Avatar

Hey, here's a stoopid question for you. Why is it that football is considered so dangerous with its concussions and all, while soccer is considered and promoted as a safe alternative? Doesn't half of soccer consist of hitting a ball with your head? I get that your head hitting a ball generates less force and impact than crashing your head into the ground or into a 350 lb opponent, even with a helmet, but still... It would seem that soccer should produce a certain amount of danger regarding concussions and head injuries as well. Why is one so dangerous and evil and the other so much safer and better?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

You could get a mean concussion if you knock heads with an opponent going for a header...mean injury as well...

However, to answer your question? I think you may be behind the times...just a little...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...er-make-sense/

http://www.momsteam.com/health-safet...bate-continues

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thank you for your answer and for the links. Either I was behind the times or I was ahead of them - I've been wondering about that for a while now. It seems like for a long time I've been hearing the question asked if your kid wanted to play football, would you try to steer him/her to soccer instead, as it was the safer choice. Maybe they just meant safer overall and not just concussion-wise. In any case, it does make sense that you could get some head trauma pretty easily playing soccer and it is a good thing they are looking into it.

So. When players are traded, how much of a problem is it regarding play calls and signals and such? I assume the players spill all they know to their new team. Do coaches have to adjust their nomenclature every time they lose a player, or is it not that big a deal if the player is not from their division and won't be played that often.

Also, Pittsburgh passing on Dan Marino comes up quite often. Obviously, if the Steelers had taken Marino everything that happened afterward would have been different, including where they got to pick in the draft. Would you guys rather have had Marino as quarterback back in the day or Big Ben now, as I don't think you could have both. Anybody?

(Obviously I vote for Big Ben now, since I wasn't a fan back in the 80s, and if I had been, I would have been following the Redskins - my dad's team - or the Falcons, as I was living in Atlanta.)

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

Alright, so I read this article:
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...se-of-patriots

But if I get this right, it still would be legal if a player wearing an ineligible number (for example a usually defensive player) would line up at the place where Vereen lined up on that play, while an eligible receiver lines up at the spot where Hoomanawanui is on that play, where normally the tackle would line up. You would not even have to report someone as eligible or ineligible, since this is clear by the numbers of the players. But I bet somebody would still be fooled by an ineligible player lining up in the slot.

Senior Member Array title="CapLovesTroyP43 is a jewel in the rough"> CapLovesTroyP43's Avatar

Here's a couple of them:

What are OTA's?
    What is the difference between the audible and cadence?
    What is a check with me? (Bill Hillgrove uses that a lot)
    What is a side car? (Another Bill Hillgrove saying)

Thanks for making this column. I think I will find it very useful! :-) I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to NFL slang even though I have been following the Steelers practically all my life!

"BIG MEN AND BIG BLADES OF GRASS"

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

OTA is Organized Team Activities
    Audible is changing the play, Cadence is the signal when the ball will be snapped.
    I'm not sure about "check with me".
    I think a Sidecar according to Hillgrove is when the QB is in shotgun and he has a back to the left or right of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="CapLovesTroyP43 is a jewel in the rough"> CapLovesTroyP43's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    OTA is Organized Team Activities
    Audible is changing the play, Cadence is the signal when the ball will be snapped.
    I'm not sure about "check with me".
    I think a Sidecar according to Hillgrove is when the QB is in shotgun and he has a back to the left or right of him.
    I thank you for answering those. :-)

Cap

"BIG MEN AND BIG BLADES OF GRASS"

In a punting situation, who decides when the long snapper does his thing? The snapper or the punter? How is it communicated?

What is the difference between a kicker and a punter? Why does a team need both? Are their specialties really that different?

What's the deal with "so and so is reporting in as an eligible receiver"? Why can't anyone who is open and available catch the ball and move it along?

What exactly is a screen pass/play?

I'm just FULL of questions today!

I SHALL NOT BE IGNORED!!!! :-)

Tell me about tailgating. Do you cook just for yourself and your friends or is one supposed to share? Do you walk around and sample other people's food? Can just anyone come by and take a plate? If you do, are you supposed to pay or donate towards the cost of the food? What is the etiquette of tailgating in general?

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyfish View Post
    I SHALL NOT BE IGNORED!!!! :-)

Tell me about tailgating. Do you cook just for yourself and your friends or is one supposed to share? Do you walk around and sample other people's food? Can just anyone come by and take a plate? If you do, are you supposed to pay or donate towards the cost of the food? What is the etiquette of tailgating in general?

I was at Heinz Field a long time ago and seem to remember a lot of people cooking in bulk and you could grab a plate for $10 but more recently it seems as if it's every tail gate for themselves. However if someone offered me a plate I would definitely take it and also kick in some cash.
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Thanks for your reply re tailgating - I had always sort of wondered about how it worked, and it finally occurred to me that I had a place to ask about it.

Anybody want to take a stab at my other questions? Enquiring minds want to know.