Thread: Eason has Emergency Surgery

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Post Eason has Emergency Surgery

Eason targets start of camp

By John Harris
    PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Thursday, June 17, 2010
    Steelers defensive end Nick Eason said he should be close to full strength for training camp after missing the final two weeks of voluntary practices following emergency surgery to remove his appendix and part of his colon.

Players are scheduled to report to Saint Vincent College in Latrobe on July 30.
    Eason, who lost 28 pounds, is seeking an expanded role this season. Veteran Travis Kirschke didn't return, making Eason the team's most experienced backup on the defensive line. When starter Brett Keisel missed a practice last month, Eason lined up at first-team right end.

"At first, I couldn't even walk on my own (following surgery)," said Eason, an eight-year veteran who appeared in 39 games in his first three seasons with the Steelers. "Now I can get around — things are getting better. When I get (medical) clearance, I'll be able to start training a couple of weeks before training camp. I'm anticipating being ready for camp at this point."

Eason, a regular participant during offseason workouts, missed the last four voluntary practices and the final walkthrough at Heinz Field. "I was out there practicing every day, going in the weight room working out. I don't miss practice for the heck of it. My pain tolerance is pretty high, but I knew something wasn't right," he said. "I had pain for about two months, and I had just been kind of ignoring it. Every time I touched my right side, it hurt."

Eason returned home to Georgia on May 27. He was still in pain when he returned to Pittsburgh four days later. Eason spoke with head trainer John Norwig, who scheduled for him to meet with doctors the next day. When the pain worsened, Eason checked into the hospital immediately.

Eason's appendix was removed after he recovered from an allergic reaction to medication, but doctors told him his appendix had been so close to bursting that bacteria had seeped into his colon, causing an infection. That led to a second surgery to remove part of the colon.

Unable to eat for nine days, Eason said his weight dropped to 285 pounds. Even though he's eating regularly now, Eason said he plans to keep his weight down.
    "I'm not a person that chooses food well. I'm pretty sure that had something to do with what happened. I have to do a better job of watching what I'm eating, taking care of my body like I'm supposed to," Eason said. "This might turn out to be a blessing in disguise."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_686347.html#

Senior Member Array title="solardave is an unknown quantity at this point">

Re: Eason has Emergency Surgery

Sounds like he'll be fine. I've never experienced it but having you appendix removed in an emergency sounds scarey. I hear it is very painful too. Godspeed Nick!

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

Lets hope he is ready for training camp and the season! we need the dline fresh and he is a important part of that!

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

He is key for our aging D line and I hope he ready to go for game and the regular season.
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Yea, I hope this doesn't set him back too far. It's funny, part of me thinks this is just another random occurrence that will get Kirschke back on the team. Every year it seems he should be done .... and every year he is not, because they end up needing him. Flash forward 20 years: Steelers' General Manager Barack Obama ( joking of course - what happened to that stir the pot smile? ) announces that, "the Steelers, having suffered a rash of injuries, resign 55 year-old Travis Kirsckie to a one year deal to provide depth on the defensive line."

Senior Member Array title="MULLDOG24 is an unknown quantity at this point">

Glad Eason was able to have surgery before it burst on him, That would've been really bad. Get back soon Eason!!!!!

Senior Member Array title="BlastFurnace will become famous soon enough"> BlastFurnace's Avatar

Eason is a valuable backup for us. I'm glad we resigned him.

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

My God - that must have been extremely painful! Good to see that Nick came through the surgeries well and will be ready to go out there and kick some ass when called upon. I've always liked this kid.

CANCER - YOU PICKED THE WRONG BITCH!!!

Senior Member Array title="TatarMongol is an unknown quantity at this point"> TatarMongol's Avatar

I hope he gets well soon. God bless.

The Virginia Hillbilly Array title="Galax Steeler is a splendid one to behold"> Galax Steeler's Avatar

Good luck to you Eason get back in time for training camp.

Bleedin' the B&G Array title="Steelman has much to be proud of"> Steelman's Avatar

From personal experience, having an near-burst appendix is extremely painful. He must be a tough bugger. Glad he's recovering well.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

I hope that he's ok and will be able to play coming up. Good luck Eason!