Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Players Brought in for Workouts

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Players Brought in for Workouts

I'm starting a thread to keep all the players we have brought in for a workout in one place. The Steelers' facebook account says we brought in the following players. All of them are from Pitt so they don't count against the 30 players we can bring in.

DEs Greg Romeus and Jabal Sheard
    FB Henry Hynoski
    WR Jon Baldwin
    RB Dion Lewis
    SS Dom DiCicco
    T Jason Pinkston

Players that Count Against Us

KR Dwight Dasher
    NT Phil Taylor, Kenrick Ellis
    DE Cameron Jordan, Zach Clayton
    CBs Buster Skrine, Curtis Brown, Curtis Marsh, Cortez Allen, Ras I-Dowling
    OT James Carpenter, Jarreil King, Marcus Gilbert
    OG Rodney Hudson
    WR Austin Pettis
    RB Da'Rel Scott

I really like DiCicco. He is a tweener but he has a nose for the ball and always seem to be making a big play.

If you see more listed as we get closer to the draft, post them and I'll update this thread.
    Last edited by Chidi29; 04-07-2011 at 10:01 PM.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Re: Players Brought in for Workouts

Romeus and Sheard would obviously be OLBs in our defense. Do you think they may be looking at DeCicco as an ILB, he is only 5lb lighter than Sean Lee, now a cowboy, and the same size as Casey Matthews.

AML

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

The steelers should be bringing in more DL and DBs and less RB, WR, and OLB

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post

I'm not sure how many workouts we are aloud, but I think we will see plenty of DL, and DBs.

AML

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    Romeus and Sheard would obviously be OLBs in our defense. Do you think they may be looking at DeCicco as an ILB, he is only 5lb lighter than Sean Lee, now a cowboy, and the same size as Casey Matthews.
    Like I said, DeCicco is one of those tweeners. Not exactly sure what his timed speed is but I'm guessing it's probably low. If that's the case, then looking at him as an ILB is likely.

I think we're looking at him as a special teamer. To start at least. A gritty guy who isn't afraid to get his jersey dirty who can bust a wedge, throw a block on a kickoff, or be an upback on punts. Can never have enough of those types of players IMO, no matter what position they are listed defensively on the depth chart.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Again, these players don't count against our total. I think it's a seventy-mile radius where the player doesn't count against the thirty we can bring in to interview. Might as well bring in as many from that region as we can.

Black and Gold Lantern Array title="The Duke is just really nice"> The Duke's Avatar

Decicco could even go undrafted! So I say nab him in the 7th!

kid's got some potential, his tackling technique impressed me for a college DB.

Romeus was amazing before his injuries. Similar to Schofield last year, someone might get a very good recovering prospect
    "We're a team. There's no offense. There's no defense. There's no special teams. We're one. We're a band of brothers." – Ben Roethlisberger

Steeler Nation Rocks !!! Array title="Steelersfan is on a distinguished road"> Steelersfan's Avatar

Not an official visit yet:

California defensive end Cameron Jordan - who is currently the 4th rated DE prospect - has upcoming visits scheduled with the Pittsburgh Steelers, Tampa Bay & Buffalo per a league source.

Here We Go Pittsburgh
Here We Go

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    Again, these players don't count against our total. I think it's a seventy-mile radius where the player doesn't count against the thirty we can bring in to interview. Might as well bring in as many from that region as we can.
    Thank Chidi, I had forgotten about them not counting against our total.

AML

Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan View Post
    Not an official visit yet:

California defensive end Cameron Jordan - who is currently the 4th rated DE prospect - has upcoming visits scheduled with the Pittsburgh Steelers, Tampa Bay & Buffalo per a league source.

Would be awesome to get him but he definitely won't fall to us. Possible target should we see an opportunity to trade up?

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

I really like DiCicco. He is a tweener but he has a nose for the ball and always seem to be making a big play.
    not this decicco

if anyone is familiar with the coneheads movie.
    Hater = Realist

I'm not sure if this counts as a workout since it doesn't appear we brought him to the team facility, but we sent Al Everest to work out Dwight Dasher out Middle Tennessee. He had a poor senior year, throwing a ton of interceptions, and it looks like he's going to find a role in a "slash" role. The article saying... "workout with Dasher on Thursday that focused on his return skills, according to an NFL source with knowledge of the situation.

During his campus Pro Day workout, Dasher also ran wide receiver routes, caught the ball out of the backfield and threw the football."

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...eturn-man.html

Like I said, DeCicco is one of those tweeners. Not exactly sure what his timed speed is but I'm guessing it's probably low. If that's the case, then looking at him as an ILB is likely.
    Dom DiCicco, Pitt, S Pro Day results:

Measured in at
    Height: 6'2
    Weight: 232

Ran a 4.60 then a 4.62 forty.
    6.65 3-cone
    12.00 Long shuttle
    4.12 Short Shuttle
    10'7" Broad jump
    37" Vertical jump

Most scouts have him pegged as a safety or a 4-3 OLB.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...ve-others.html

Massive Baylor nose guard Phil Taylor has eight upcoming official visits, including the New York Jets, Pittsburgh Steelers, Cleveland Browns, Indianapolis Colts, Tennessee Titans, Kansas City Chiefs, San Francisco 49ers and the New Orleans Saints, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.
    Taylor conducted three private workouts this week with the Browns, Chiefs and an undisclosed AFC playoff team.

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Thanks Aussie.

I figured we would bring in Phil at some point, but I think we would have to move past NY to get him, maybe even NO.

AML

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
    http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...ve-others.html

Massive Baylor nose guard Phil Taylor has eight upcoming official visits, including the New York Jets, Pittsburgh Steelers, Cleveland Browns, Indianapolis Colts, Tennessee Titans, Kansas City Chiefs, San Francisco 49ers and the New Orleans Saints, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.
    Taylor conducted three private workouts this week with the Browns, Chiefs and an undisclosed AFC playoff team.
    Phil Taylor is one of the handful of players that I think might be on the board and worthy of the #31 overall pick. I am thinking more and more that this is the year to trade out of the bottom of the first. I think there is more value in the 2nd round than the end of the 1st.

We have talked about trading down with Denver (which could prove costly) but if we traded with San Diego we could end up trading our 1st round, 3rd round and 6th round picks and end up with ....three 2nd round picks, a 4th, 5th and 7th rounder.

That could mean a second round of ...OT Marcus Cannon...CB Ras-I Dowling...and NT Jerrell Powe.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

This has been my thinking as well Perry. Lets say what some are saying happens , Carolina, and Cincy take the top to QBs then Minn. grabs Locker. That would leave Denver, Buffalo, Arizona, and SF, all possibly interested in who may be Ponder. I'm going to concentrate on SF because they own the #12 pick in both the 2nd, and 3rd round, and I think we might be able to get them both. That could translate into.

2-12 / Ijalana, or Cannon OT/OG
    2-31 / Dowling or Chekwa CB
    3-12 / Ellis or Casey DT
    3-31 / Sheppard or Johns ILB

That would still give us the rest of our picks to bargain hunt.

AML

This has been my thinking as well Perry. Lets say what some are saying happens , Carolina, and Cincy take the top to QBs then Minn. grabs Locker. That would leave Denver, Buffalo, Arizona, and SF, all possibly interested in who may be Ponder. I'm going to concentrate on SF because they own the #12 pick in both the 2nd, and 3rd round, and I think we might be able to get them both. That could translate into.

2-12 / Ijalana, or Cannon OT/OG
    2-31 / Dowling or Chekwa CB
    3-12 / Ellis or Casey DT
    3-31 / Sheppard or Johns ILB

That would still give us the rest of our picks to bargain hunt.
    I'm still thinking that Palmer ends up in San Francisco or Arizona....Kolb ends up in Minnesota or Seattle.... but I think we are onto something!!!

-- Jack Lambert --

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    I'm still thinking that Palmer ends up in San Francisco or Arizona....Kolb ends up in Minnesota or Seattle.... but I think we are onto something!!!
    That is the high point of no contract. If it last till after the draft, no one will know where anyone will be landing.

AML

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

From everyone I’ve talked with this week, there seems to be a growing belief that there are actually some legs to the Patriots-Chargers potential first-round trade involving the Pats 28th overall pick.
    http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...mors-3231.html

Without a new CBA in place the Pats cannot play their normal game and trade away 2nd round picks for 1st rounders in the following draft.

I am guessing that the Pats are looking at loading up in the 2nd again this year ( #50 & #61 from the chargers to add to their #33 and #60) and really building some serious depth.

If I am the chargers and now have #18 and #28 then I can really load up with a combo ( DE/ OLB) like

#18 DE JJ Watt
    #28 OLB Justin Houston or Akeem Ayers

or conversely
    #18 Justin Houston ( if you really love him)
    #28 Muhammed Wilkerson / Cameron Heyward

I can see the steelers possibly becoming trade down partners to fleece somebody who wants to overpay for Ryan Mallet / Jake Locker / Christian Ponder or Andy Dalton.
    If Seattle trades their pick to the Eagles for Kevin Kolb then one of the top 4 QB's will still be on the board.

A team like Buffalo could well take a stud at #3 ( Dareus / Green or Peterson) and then get back into the QB battle at the end of the first.

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Senior Member Array title="7willBheaven is on a distinguished road"> 7willBheaven's Avatar

I'm starting a thread to keep all the players we have brought in for a workout in one place. The Steelers' facebook account says we brought in the following players. All of them are from Pitt so they don't count against the 30 players we can bring in.

DEs Greg Romeus and Jabal Sheard
    FB Henry Hynoski
    WR Jon Baldwin
    RB Dion Lewis
    SS Dom DiCicco
    T Jason Pinkston
    KR Dwight Dasher
    NT Phil Taylor
    CBs Buster Skrine and Curtis Brown

If you see more listed as we get closer to the draft, post them and I'll update this thread.
    I know a few of these guys are not from Pitt, hahah

Quote Originally Posted by 7willBheaven View Post
    I know a few of these guys are not from Pitt, hahah
    lol, I started the thread after seeing all of the Pitt players we brought in. Forgot to separate the two groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
    http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...mors-3231.html

A team like Buffalo could well take a stud at #3 ( Dareus / Green or Peterson) and then get back into the QB battle at the end of the first.
    I am HUGE on Marcus Cannon...and would gladly trade down to get him AND get additional draft picks beisides!!!!!!

-- Jack Lambert --

I am HUGE on Marcus Cannon...and would gladly trade down to get him AND get additional draft picks beisides!!!!!!

Still think that we may be able to get a bidding war going that would do us nothing but good. Unless something unforeseen happens, I believe I for one want out of the 1st round.

I would love to end up with either Ijalana, or Cannon, even though I know there will be a lot of bitching about the pick.

AML

Still think that we may be able to get a bidding war going that would do us nothing but good. Unless something unforeseen happens, I believe I for one want out of the 1st round.

I would love to end up with either Ijalana, or Cannon, even though I know there will be a lot of bitching about the pick.
    If we get Ijalana, Cannon, Rackley, or Moffitt...I am going to be happy. Cannon would be my first pick only because of his versatility to play OT/OG

In fact, If we get Cannon...I wouldnt be surprised if we didnt look at an OG in the later rounds.

-- Jack Lambert --

If what we are talking about happens, we could easily end up with Cannon and Moffitt. If we do, get ready for some heavy crying around here, but not by me. Give me those two and sandwich any of 3 CBs inbetween, and I will be delighted.

AML

If what we are talking about happens, we could easily end up with Cannon and Moffitt. If we do, get ready for some heavy crying around here, but not by me. Give me those two and sandwich any of 3 CBs inbetween, and I will be delighted.
    Give me those two...and Ras-I Dowling....and a DE...and i will be happy. I keep looking at Jarvis Jenkins, trying to decide if he would be a good fit as a 3-4 DE.

-- Jack Lambert --

Give me those two...and Ras-I Dowling....and a DE...and i will be happy. I keep looking at Jarvis Jenkins, trying to decide if he would be a good fit as a 3-4 DE.
    Going to leave the decision on Jenkins to someone smarter than me, but I'm not so sure I wouldn't rather wait a round or two and take a shot David Carter or Martin Parker. I thought Parker looked quicker in the Shrine game than he gets credit for.

AML

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

That could mean a second round of ...OT Marcus Cannon...CB Ras-I Dowling...and NT Jerrell Powe.
    While I would like to see us take a shot at a guy that can eventually play LT (I dont think Cannon is that guy) I would love to pickup Cannon and Jerrell Powe in the draft. Get younger depth on both lines and guys that could plug in the starting lineup in year 1 or 2.