Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Players Brought in for Workouts

Black and Gold Lantern Array title="The Duke is just really nice"> The Duke's Avatar

Re: Players Brought in for Workouts

What about kenrick ellis? he's 6'5

I am not too fond of NTs over 6'2 either, but when motivated Ellis has been unstoppable imo, and as a 3rd round pick I wouldn't mind him
    "We're a team. There's no offense. There's no defense. There's no special teams. We're one. We're a band of brothers." – Ben Roethlisberger

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    What about kenrick ellis? he's 6'5

I am not too fond of NTs over 6'2 either, but when motivated Ellis has been unstoppable imo, and as a 3rd round pick I wouldn't mind him
    Good point on Ellis. I have watched him enough times though to know he does a good job with leverage that it shouldn't be an issue in the NFL. And he already has the weight without the weight issues Kearse has.

2011 Visits

- Cortez Allen, CB, Citadel (6-1, 197, 4.50, No. 19, R4-5)
    - Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia (6-1, 198, 4.40, No. 6, R2)
    - Austin Pettis, WR, Boise State (6-3, 209, 4.56, No. 17, R4-5)
    - Da’rel Scott, RB, Maryland (5-11, 211, 4.40, No. 18, R5-6)
    - Cameron Jordan, DE, California (6-4, 287, 4.74, No. 3, R1)
    - Rodney Hudson, C/G, Florida St. (6-2, 299, 5.27, No. 1 center, R2)
    - James Carpenter, T, Alabama (6-4, 321, 5.22, No. 7, R2)
    - Marcus Gilbert, T, Florida (6-6, 330, 5.41, No. 10, R3-4)
    - Jarriel King, T, South Carolina (6-5, 317, 5.03, No. 24, R7-FA)
    - Kenrick Ellis, DT, Hampton (6-5, 346, 5.19, No. 9, R2-3)
    - Mario Harvey ILB, Marshall ( 5-11, 250, 4.42 No. 13, R7-FA)

(Pittsburgh Panthers)
    - Jon Baldwin, WR (6-4, 228, 4.49, No. 7, R2)
    - Jason Pinkston, T (6-3, 317, 5.39, No. 11, R3-4)
    - Dion Lewis, RB (5-7, 193, 4.56, No. 2, R6-7)
    - Henry Hynoski, FB (6-0, 257, 5.06, No. 4, R5-6)
    - Jabaal Sheard, DE (6-3, 264, 4.68, No. 9, R1-2)
    - Greg Romeus, DE (6-5, 264, 4.79, No. 14, R4)
    - Dom DiCicco, SS (6-3, 232, 4.64, No. 10, R7)

*players listed with height,weight,forty time,rank at position, and projected round they will be drafted
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

jimwexell James C Wexell

Steelers to host Abilene Christian WR Edmund Gates early next week. Raw, skinny, 25-year-old 'vertical terror' is 5-11.6, 192, late 3rd rder

Banned Array title="steelerfan is an unknown quantity at this point">

Aaron Williams coming in:

Steelers | Aaron Williams visiting
    Wed, 20 Apr 2011 09:14:59 -0700

The Pittsburgh Steelers are meeting with University of Texas CB Aaron Williams Wednesday, April 20, according to Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

And my source was right, as was LLT, Vincent Brown in, as well as two others.

Steelers | Meeting with three draft prospects
    Wed, 20 Apr 2011 09:22:51 -0700

The Pittsburgh Steelers are meeting with San Diego State WR Vincent Brown, South Carolina TE Weslye Saunders and Virginia Tech S Davon Morgan Wednesday, April 20, according

And as it goes to the TE, Saunders, I wonder why he is coming in, I got this from Draft scout

04/01/11 - Weslye Saunders' road to the NFL has encountered yet another speed bump with the NFL Network reporting the former South Carolina tight end will undergo surgery to have a pin inserted into his fractured foot Friday. This type of surgery typically takes six to eight weeks to recover from

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post

The Pittsburgh Steelers are meeting with University of Texas CB Aaron Williams Wednesday, April 20, according to Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
    I saw Aaron Williams in game changers and he was impressive. He has great ball skills and he can cover. If he is available at pick 31 the Steelers have no need to trade down because he is worth the pick

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I saw Aaron Williams in game changers and he was impressive. He has great ball skills and he can cover. If he is available at pick 31 the Steelers have no need to trade down because he is worth the pick

I watch alot of Texas games. And as good as a Ball defender that Williams can be at times. He also gets fooled on double moves. And he has bad hands as it goes to picking off balls....another Ike Taylor ( Hands wise )...and he
    is not a great tackler either. More of a finess player. If he is 100 % clear of his senior injuries, Ras I Dowling is a way better CB prospect then Aaron Williams. But with that said, there is no real 1st round value at 31 at the CB spot. So I don't think Pittsburgh will draft a CB there.

Senior Member Array title="Tilley is an unknown quantity at this point">

And my source was right, as was LLT, Vincent Brown in, as well as two others.

Steelers | Meeting with three draft prospects
    Wed, 20 Apr 2011 09:22:51 -0700

The Pittsburgh Steelers are meeting with San Diego State WR Vincent Brown, South Carolina TE Weslye Saunders and Virginia Tech S Davon Morgan Wednesday, April 20, according

I have watched alot of Morgan if we can land him then that would be great I would also be happy to land a shut down corner in the first then go from there. I have a great feeling for us coming out of this draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilley View Post
    I have watched alot of Morgan if we can land him then that would be great I would also be happy to land a shut down corner in the first then go from there. I have a great feeling for us coming out of this draft.

Davon was a 1 year player at VT this season. He is nothing more the a camp invite. Strictly a UFA.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

If we could pick up Greg Romeus in the 3rd or 4th round, I'd be happy with that. I'd love to see a Pitt player staying in Pittsburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    If we could pick up Greg Romeus in the 3rd or 4th round, I'd be happy with that. I'd love to see a Pitt player staying in Pittsburgh.

Where would he play ? He is too tall and light to ever be a DE in our 3-4. And he will never be a OLB. However, on a side note, I saw him in a Interview, and I think he said that he turns 23 on the second day of the draft. So maybe someone will make it a Happy Birthday for him, and select him in round 2 or 3 :-)

Senior Member Array title="7willBheaven is on a distinguished road"> 7willBheaven's Avatar

Where would he play ? He is too tall and light to ever be a DE in our 3-4. And he will never be a OLB. However, on a side note, I saw him in a Interview, and I think he said that he turns 23 on the second day of the draft. So maybe someone will make it a Happy Birthday for him, and select him in round 2 or 3 :-)
    He's not too tall to play DE in a 3-4....6'6"/270lbs...Smith and Keisel are 6'5...Keisel weighs 285. 270 isnt bad...and he could probably put on a few more pounds. A lot of 3-4 DEs are around the 6'4 - 6'7 range...there are some shorter guys out there but thats the average size for a 3-4 DE. Thats why shorter (and generally lighter) guys that might be DEs in college have to switch to OLB in a 3-4 and a lot of times DTs in college are bigger and switch to DE in a 3-4 (there are some DEs in college that fit the 3-4 DE in the pros too of course). But you are right I think he could be too big to be a 3-4 OLB...but DE he could.

Now his teammate Sheard could be a 3-4 OLB but not a 3-4 DE.

Now I'm not saying they need to draft these guys/etc...

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 7willBheaven View Post
    He's not too tall to play DE in a 3-4....6'6"/270lbs...Smith and Keisel are 6'5...Keisel weighs 285. 270 isnt bad...and he could probably put on a few more pounds. A lot of 3-4 DEs are around the 6'4 - 6'7 range...there are some shorter guys out there but thats the average size for a 3-4 DE. Thats why shorter (and generally lighter) guys that might be DEs in college have to switch to OLB in a 3-4 and a lot of times DTs in college are bigger and switch to DE in a 3-4 (there are some DEs in college that fit the 3-4 DE in the pros too of course). But you are right I think he could be too big to be a 3-4 OLB...but DE he could.

Now his teammate Sheard could be a 3-4 OLB but not a 3-4 DE.

Now I'm not saying they need to draft these guys/etc...

I like Sheard for us as a OLB, but he falls into that growing group of players we all seem to like, not wanting to take him at 31, but knowing he will not make it to us at 63.

Trading down seems to be the only real answer.

AML

Senior Member Array title="7willBheaven is on a distinguished road"> 7willBheaven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    I like Sheard for us as a OLB, but he falls into that growing group of players we all seem to like, not wanting to take him at 31, but knowing he will not make it to us at 63.

Trading down seems to be the only real answer.
    Yeah he could be good...but I wouldnt want to spend a 1-3rd pick on him...and he's graded a 2-3 most places. A lot round LB i wouldnt care, but another high rounder (when they took a 2nd and 4th last yr) would just be a waste in my eyes.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Romeus had back and ACL injuries last year.

I wouldn't touch him until the fifth round at the earliest.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post

As I stated, Romeus is not a 3-4 guy. He is a legit 6ft, 5 without shoes, so 6ft, 6, and he never played at 270. But 264 Lbs. He didn't run or lift at Indy. And, Romeus is NOT a true " Pittsburgh " guy. He played at Pitt. But he is not a Pittsburgh guy. He is from Florida. If you want a TRUE Pittsburgh guy...from the school of Pittsburgh,,,then why not Jon Baldwin :-) He's was born and raised in the Pittsburgh area :-)

As I stated, Romeus is not a 3-4 guy. He is a legit 6ft, 5 without shoes, so 6ft, 6, and he never played at 270. But 264 Lbs. He didn't run or lift at Indy. And, Romeus is NOT a true " Pittsburgh " guy. He played at Pitt. But he is not a Pittsburgh guy. He is from Florida. If you want a TRUE Pittsburgh guy...from the school of Pittsburgh,,,then why not Jon Baldwin :-) He's was born and raised in the Pittsburgh area :-)
    But this is only one guys opinion...albeit an opinion that may no be realistic but an opinion nonetheless. Also its kinda obvious he didnt do much at the combine because he had surgery...either way i still think your wrong....as I stated in my reply above.

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

official visits list

(as best determined via collation of info from numerous sites)

Cannot gaurantee that this is the official list, but it is the best that I can determine

1 - CB - Cortez Allen - Citadel (round 5 -6)
    2 - CB - Ras-I Dowling - Virginia (round 2)
    3 - CB - Curtis Brown - Texas (round 2 - 3)
    4 - CB - Curtis Marsh - Utah St (round 4-5)
    5 - CB - Buster Skrine - Tennessee-Chattanooga ( round 3 -4)
    6 - CB - Johnny Patrick - Lousiville (round 2 - 3)
    7 - CB - Aaron Williams - Texas ( round 1 - 2)

8 - OT - Jarriel King - South Carolina ( round 7 - UDFA)
    9 - OT - James Carpenter - Alabama (round 2 -3)
    10 - OT - Marcus Gilbert - Florida ( round 2 -4)
    11 - OT - Marcus Cannon - TCU (round 2)

12 - OG - Keith Williams - Nebraska ( round 6 -7 )
    13 - OG - Rodney Hudson - Florida State ( round 2)

14 - WR - Austin Pettis - Boise State (rounds 4 - 6)
    15 - WR - Greg Little - North Carolina ( Round 3-4)
    16 - WR - Denarius Moore - Tennessee ( rounds 4-6)
    17 - WR - Edmund Gates - Aberline Christian ( Round 2-3)
    18 - WR - Vincent Brown - SDSU ( rounds 5 - 6)

19 - RB - Da'rel Scott - Maryland (round 5 -6)
    20 - RB - Taiwan Jones - Eastern Washington ( round 3- 4)

21 - TE - Julius Thomas - Portland State ( round 5-6)
    22 - TE - Weslye Saunders - South Carolina ( round 7 - UDFA)

23 - NT - Kenrdick Ellis - Hampton ( Round 2-3)
    24 - NT - Phil Taylor - Baylor ( round 1)
    25 - NT - Frank Kearse - Alabama A&M ( round 7 - UDFA)
    26 - NT - Anthony Gray - Southern Miss (round 7 - UDFA)

27 - DE - Zack Clayton - Auburn (round 7 - UDFA)
    28 - DE - Cameron Jordan - California ( round 1)

29 - ILB - Mario Harvey - Marshall ( round 6 - UDFA)

30 - S - Davon Morgan - Virginia Tech ( UDFA)

Local visits

WR - Jon Baldwin - Pitt ( round 2)
    DE - Jabaal Sheard - Pitt ( round 2)
    DE - Greg Romeus - Pitt (round 4)
    FB - Henry Hynoski - Pitt ( round 6 -7)
    RB - Dion Lewis - Pitt ( round 7 - UDFA)
    OT - Jason Pinkston - Pitt ( round 3-4)
    S - Dom DiCicco - Pitt ( round 7 - UDFA)

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Thanks Aussie I missed the Steelers bringing in Taiwan Jones. I like the kid but didn't think we would take a RB in the 3rd. You never know.

AML

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    Thanks Aussie I missed the Steelers bringing in Taiwan Jones. I like the kid but didn't think we would take a RB in the 3rd. You never know.
    I like Jordan Todman in the 3rd. I think he is going to make a great RB in the pro's

My Sleeper RB is

Mario Fannin, Auburn
    5'10 230lbs

RB / FB who can run, catch and block.

Runs a 4.37 40 and reportedly the steelers have shown some interest. ( http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...mors-7383.html )

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews....ron-bat-1.html

Ex-Texas Tech running back Baron Batch was drafted No. 232 overall in the seventh round of the NFL draft by head coach Mike Tomlin and the Pittsburgh Steelers.
    The truth was Batch wanted to play NFL football in Pittsburgh regardless, writes Don Williams of the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal.

"I'm excited about it," Batch told Williams. "When I went up there on my visit, it was definitely my favorite team, the team I wanted to go to. You can't really come out and say that. Through the process, you've got to be as unbiased as possible, because you never know who's going to get you.

"But I was really hoping it would work out where they would either draft me or I could go there as a free agent."
    According to Williams, Batch received phone calls from the Jacksonville Jaguars and Indianapolis Colts regarding Batch signing free agency contracts before Tomlin called him.
    Two very interesting post draft issues for me

1. Baron Batch snuck into Pittsburgh for a visit without it being reported??? I wonder if this was an official visit

2. Interesting that teams were contacting possible UDFA's in the midst of the final round. In the post draft press conference by Tomlin and Colbert they highlighted that they now had more time to evaluate the UDFA's and would be able to make a more informed call. Unlike other years where a mad scramble ensued towards the end of the 7th round. I am guessing that once Baron Batch was selected they used the rest of the alloted draft time to contact the possible UDFA's whilst the communication window was open. I believe that they have pre-organised a set of UDFA's who are now awaiting contact once a new CBA is in place.

Good call Aussie. I would think that during the 6th and 7th rounds someone was on the phone none stop just breaking the ice with the kids we were interested in as UDFA. Only make good sense. This could also mean that teams used that 6th or 7th pick on a kids they would have normally tried to get as a UDFA.

AML

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
    I like Jordan Todman in the 3rd. I think he is going to make a great RB in the pro's

My Sleeper RB is

Mario Fannin, Auburn
    5'10 230lbs

RB / FB who can run, catch and block.

Runs a 4.37 40 and reportedly the steelers have shown some interest. ( http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...mors-7383.html )
    Todman had 25 catches last year and started one game. Maybe the next MeMo?

http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/...0-c1daffa4b9d8