Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The waiting game: Hines Ward puts ball in Steelers' court

The Virginia Hillbilly Array title="Galax Steeler is a splendid one to behold"> Galax Steeler's Avatar

The waiting game: Hines Ward puts ball in Steelers' court

INDIANAPOLIS -- Hines Ward talked to Mike Tomlin on Monday at the Steelers facility on the South Side and to team president Art Rooney II earlier, letting them know he wants to play in 2012 in Pittsburgh.

"I just wanted to let them know I want to be here, I want to play," said Ward, who on Sunday will be part of NBC's five-hour Super Bowl pregame show. "I have two years on my contact. I know I have to restructure, but, under the circumstances, I think I can still play football."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12034...#ixzz1lJVM7vVq

Swaggin' University Array title="ShutDown24 has a spectacular aura about"> ShutDown24's Avatar

Re: The waiting game: Hines Ward puts ball in Steelers' court

At least he knows he has to take a salary cut. That should make it easier to bring him back if the team feels it's wise to do so from a personnel standpoint.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

He can still be a contributing component on our team. I hope he sticks around.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post
    At least he knows he has to take a salary cut. That should make it easier to bring him back if the team feels it's wise to do so from a personnel standpoint.
    Saying you'll restructure isn't the same as saying you're willing to take a pay cut. Restructuring means you're willing to move the money around to make it more cap friendly. It's not necessarily saying you'll take less money.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

It's time.

It's been a Helluva run, but............................it's time.
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    It's time.

It's been a Helluva run, but............................it's time.
    You're probably right. And whether they can get Jerricho Cotchery to sign a new contract might play a role in it. I hate to say it, but in my opinion if Ward wants to come back he needs to earn his roster spot. In other words, if he's not one of your 4 best receivers at the end of camp he probably should be cut.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Coach vs hines for the number 4 spot...

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    You're probably right. And whether they can get Jerricho Cotchery to sign a new contract might play a role in it. I hate to say it, but in my opinion if Ward wants to come back he needs to earn his roster spot. In other words, if he's not one of your 4 best receivers at the end of camp he probably should be cut.
    I'm sorry, but at this point:
    Wallace > Ward
    Brown > Ward
    Sanders > Ward
    Cotchery > Ward

All are younger. All are cheaper, although Wallace might begin flirting with a Ward-like contract. All have more upside. Mostly I just don't want to see a Sugar Ray Leonard type situation where the old dude thinks he still has it but starts embarrassing himself.
    Fire Goodell

i go hard like tiger wood Array title="lilyoder6 is an unknown quantity at this point">

it is nice to know he is willing to do something with his contract to stay around.. i guess with hines it will depend on who else gets cut and what not and how much is he willing to "move" around to stay.. he is def going to be the #4 or #5 wr.. but still be a good wr on running plays and leadership in the locker roo,

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

In other words, if he's not one of your 4 best receivers at the end of camp he probably should be cut.
    Exactly.

What am I hoping for?

Knowing Hines is the ULTIMATE competitor, I am hopeful that he reflects on what transpired this year and then redoubles his efforts this off season and comes back in the best shape of his life.

Maybe training in FL with Ike, et al, might help...
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Come on FO, lets not pull another Franco. Let him stay.

Member Array title="mortgageman is an unknown quantity at this point">

I think the Cotchery is a free agent which means he more then likely will not be back bc he will want to get paid as a #2/3 WR and he would only be our #4. Hines can come back but only if he gets paid as a low end #3 or high end #4.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    Come on FO, lets not pull another Franco. Let him stay.
    And THAT is exactly what I'm afraid of. When Harris went to Seattle he was just a pale shadow of himself. Guys like Barry Sanders, Jim Brown, even a guy like Robert Smith all have the right idea. Hang 'em up when you're on top. Does anyone REALLY want to see Hines Ward CUT?

For every Joe Montana who goes to Kansas City, there are a bunch of OJ Simpsons who go to the 49ers.
    Fire Goodell

Steeler Nation Array title="O'Malley will become famous soon enough"> O'Malley's Avatar

He should be able to finish his career as a Steeler.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Malley View Post
    He should be able to finish his career as a Steeler.
    But, see, now we're back in a gray area again.

If the dude can't bring it, do we let him occupy a roster spot just because he wants it? Out of sentimentality for past performance? It's that kind of thinking that (briefly) made Chad Scott the highest paid Steeler in history.

Based on what I saw on the field, and the way we had to go about getting him his 12,000th catch, I'd say his skills have diminished past the point of expecting any kind of suitable return on investment for next year. Somebody needs to sit him down and explain that if he comes into camp and wants to try out, he may end up getting cut. That's on him, then. If I was him, I'd gracefully ride off into the sunset.

By the way, no one is stopping him from "being allowed to finish his career as a Steeler" but him.
    Fire Goodell

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

When Harris went to Seattle he was just a pale shadow of himself.
    Yep, and he lasted in Seattle long enough for a cup of coffee before they cut him too. It was sad to see. Hines needs to retire. Now.

Steeler Nation Array title="O'Malley will become famous soon enough"> O'Malley's Avatar

But, see, now we're back in a gray area again.

If the dude can't bring it, do we let him occupy a roster spot just because he wants it? Out of sentimentality for past performance? It's that kind of thinking that (briefly) made Chad Scott the highest paid Steeler in history.

Based on what I saw on the field, and the way we had to go about getting him his 12,000th catch, I'd say his skills have diminished past the point of expecting any kind of suitable return on investment for next year. Somebody needs to sit him down and explain that if he comes into camp and wants to try out, he may end up getting cut. That's on him, then. If I was him, I'd gracefully ride off into the sunset.

By the way, no one is stopping him from "being allowed to finish his career as a Steeler" but him.
    IMO he has another year in the tank.. One more year to mentor the young money receivers, one more year to be Bens' safety blanket... When you need a reception for a first down you look for Hines to find a way to get open and he does.. Not ready to write him off.. If he can make the squad and restructure his contract I say let him play... Even if he is the #5 receiver..

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mortgageman View Post
    I think the Cotchery is a free agent which means he more then likely will not be back bc he will want to get paid as a #2/3 WR and he would only be our #4. Hines can come back but only if he gets paid as a low end #3 or high end #4.
    That's not necessarily true. Cotchery said he loved his time with the Steelers and wants to return. I think he knows he's not a #2 receiver and it's not like he showed enough to warrant being a 2...or a 3 for that matter...

As for Ward. Would live to have him back. Would live it more than anything...whatever the money is. However, 4th receivers have to play special teams. He can't do that. He'd be taking up an extra roster spot basically standing on the sideline...ala Duce Staley...minus the sweats.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

let him stay!

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Ward can stay for minimum and he would probably see 3 or 4 snaps per game barring any other injuries. He got old on the field before our eyes this season. He needs to recognize the signs before he gets permanently injured.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

I'm just glad to hear that he want's to stay in the 'burgh, and that he's willing to renegotiate his contract. That's definitely a step in the right direction and a step that the front office is wanting to hear. There is no doubt in my mind that Hines is still an asset to this team and is always willing to go in the game and do whatever it takes to score and win, and he is still willing to sacrifice his body in doing so. I hope Hines and the owners can get a deal inked soon !!

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

If we "wasted" a spot on Charlie Batch last year, we can "waste" a spot on Ward. Let's hope Hines renegotiates his contract and he gets to play some this year. Don't want him going out right on 1,000, especially with that last catch. His mentorship to the young receivers has been valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    If we "wasted" a spot on Charlie Batch last year, we can "waste" a spot on Ward. Let's hope Hines renegotiates his contract and he gets to play some this year. Don't want him going out right on 1,000, especially with that last catch. His mentorship to the young receivers has been valuable.
    How did we "waste" a spot on Batch? He did help the Steelers win a game.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I think with one more season he ties Mike Webster for the longest tenure with the Steelers...true? 15 years maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

How did we "waste" a spot on Batch? He did help the Steelers win a game.
    Some around here have suggested as much. I don't totally agree, hence the quotation marks.

Hines had ankle surgery still comitted to Steelers..

Senior Member Array title="BlacknGoldBabe has a spectacular aura about">

If he can still bring something to the table, then he ought to stay. He did indeed grow old on the field before our eyes this past season.

Living Legend Array title="Dino 6 Rings has a spectacular aura about"> Dino 6 Rings's Avatar

Same kind of thing they let Bettis do, past his prime, could barely walk, only got touches near the goal line...oh and walked away from the game a Champion.
    SuperBowl Wins - How many does YOUR team have? Steelers 6, 49ers 5, Cowboys 5, Packers 4, Giants 4, Pats 4, Redskins 3, Raiders 3, Broncos 2, Dolphins 2, Colts 2, Ravens 2, Bears 1, Jets 1, Bucs 1, Rams 1, Chiefs 1, Saints 1, Hawks 1

STEELER NATION RULES ! Array title="katmandu has much to be proud of"> katmandu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by O'Malley View Post
    IMO he has another year in the tank.. One more year to mentor the young money receivers, one more year to be Bens' safety blanket... When you need a reception for a first down you look for Hines to find a way to get open and he does.. Not ready to write him off.. If he can make the squad and restructure his contract I say let him play... Even if he is the #5 receiver..
    x2.

Hines is by FAR the best "Over the Middle" receiver we have! No one else comes close IMHO.

Plus Hine's Leadership in the locker room should not be discounted.

However, Hine's needs to be willing to accept less $$ to come back next year.
    "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." -- Mark Twain

Support Steelers Universe with a Donation via PayPal !

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru....php?do=donate

I say, why make a decision now? Go ahead and restructure, but remind him that he's going to have to earn a position at camp. Let him come to camp and if he isn't making the cut, sit down and have a heart to heart with him. Let him know that he's not going to make it and give him the option to retire.

I don't see why it has to be such drama. After all, the spot he's taking up at camp, is a spot reserved for camp fodder anyway. I'd rather have another coach that is actually still on the field, then another piece of camp fodder.