Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dan Rooney "poorest" NFL owner according to Sports Illustrated.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Dan Rooney "poorest" NFL owner according to Sports Illustrated.

http://www.sportsillustratedeverywhe...ides-5141.html

1. Paul Allen, Seahawks $12.9B
    2. Stephen M. Ross, Dolphins $3.3B
    3. Malcolm Glazer, Buccaneers $2.4B
    4. Stan Kroenke, Rams $2.2B
    5. Jerry Jones, Cowboys $1.9B
    6. Arthur M. Blank, Falcons $1.45B
    27. Zygi Wilf, Vikings $310M
    28. Al Davis, Raiders $310M
    29. John Mara, Giants** $240M
    30. Virginia Halas McCaskey, Bears $200M
    31. Steve Tisch, Giants** $170M
    32. Dan Rooney, Steelers $150M

*Packers not included due to public ownership
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Dan Rooney "poorest" NFL owner according to Sports Illustrated.

Yet he has the most championships.

The Borskinator Array title="Borski is on a distinguished road"> Borski's Avatar

If the packers are not included how are the Steelers listed #32?

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Borski View Post
    Because 2 guys are listed for the Giants. Why? I don't know.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Borski View Post
    They have two seperate owners for the Giants listed.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

I can't read the link. Is that a list of net worth?

Quote Originally Posted by carnoj View Post
    I can't read the link. Is that a list of net worth?
    OWNERS

NET WORTH $1.4 BILLION

That's the average for the NFL's 32 private majority owners.* The rankings below, compiled by leading wealth intelligence firm Wealth-X, list the six richest and six poorest (relatively speaking), based on assets from all sources.

I copied and pasted pretty much how it appears in the magazine.

Senior Member Array title="XxKnightxX has a spectacular aura about"> XxKnightxX's Avatar

Hahaha jerry jones is as much as his jerrahworld. Don't put ur eggs all into one basket and then claim poverty. And Paul Allen is the Seahawks owner? That's a shock that guy is the unsung hero of Bill Gates success

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Looks like a pretty solid correlation between money and teams that are the oldest in franchise history and run by a certain family, the Maras for the Giants and the Rooney's for us.

What is more fascinating, is this list.
    Steelers- 6SB's
    Giants, 3SB's
    Raiders 3SB's
    Bears 1 SB

Total 10 SB's.

Seahawks, 0 SB's
    Dolphins 2 SB's
    Tampa 1 SB
    Rams 1 SB
    Cowboys 5 SB's
    total 9 SB's.

And, It's evenly split-money does NOT buy success.

Now, when you remove the SB's won buy teams before the rich owners got there-- that removes 3 of the cowboys SB's. Which means it is 10-6.
    Don't forget the Packers, which only cleared 9.8 Million (puts them in the poor camp), that is three more for a 13-6 (Since Giants are listed twice, I added the Packers back in.)
    So in honesty, being poor in the NFL seems to equate to more titles. Probably because you stick with what you have, don't make a lot of changes, and simply follow your plan-Heck, even the Raiders did that in a way, before owner went nutters.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Money doesn't buy you championships, good drafting and smart personnel moves do. It was also funny not seeing Dan Snyder in the top 6. Must he because he spends it all on overrated free agents

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

I'm assuming that doesn't take into account the massive amount of debt incurred by Dan and Art II ($250 million) back in 2008 when they were forced to restructure the ownership of the team(?)

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

Oh yea. This was well known "years" ago. Why do you think the Steelers were not a very good team until the 1970 NFL-AFL merger ? ...because the Rooney's did not have the money to obtain/keep a quality staff of coach's and players. The team had to 1-merge with the Eagles at one time just to stay alive, 2-had to get players from the local manufacturing community to complete the roster bec. they couldn't afford top talent, 3- had to practice in a fair grounds parking lot all the way into the 1960's, and STILL TIL THIS DAY is known for not paying his players that much...

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerEmpire View Post
    Oh yea. This was well known "years" ago. Why do you think the Steelers were not a very good team until the 1970 NFL-AFL merger ? ...because the Rooney's did not have the money to obtain/keep a quality staff of coach's and players. The team had to 1-merge with the Eagles at one time just to stay alive, 2-had to get players from the local manufacturing community to complete the roster bec. they couldn't afford top talent, 3- had to practice in a fair grounds parking lot all the way into the 1960's, and STILL TIL THIS DAY is known for not paying his players that much...
    Ahh...the old, "Rooneys are cheap" argument....how I've missed it. If I'm not mistaken, didn't the Steelers become successful in the 70's because of the Chief turning the reigns over to his sons, who helped to hire Knoll and revamped the scouting and drafting? And as always...if the Rooneys are so cheap, then why have they always been right up against the salary cap year in and year out?
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerEmpire View Post
    Not the case. Money was of course tough to come by in the early years as it was for any team starting out, especially during the thirties and fourties.

We had to merge because of a lack of roster because of the war. Not because we couldn't afford the top talent. There wasn't any top talent. It was a tough time for all teams during the war. Obviously, the Eagles had to merge with us too because of a shortage in players. Every team felt the effect of wartime football.

We did hand out money to players. Whizzer White is commonly believed to be the first "big money" player to ever play the game, not wanting to play in the NFL until we paid him $15000 for a season.

The big issue was bad choices with coaching and poor drafting. Art Rooney preferred to choose coaches he liked and was friends with. Not because of money but because of his "family" philosophy. Everything was done in-house. The Steelers had trouble evolving. Be it from the Single Wing, we were the last team to have it as everyone else went with the T formation, to making the move to the 4-3 (Dan Rooney having to tell Art to change to combat the Cleveland Browns), and the "three yards and a cloud of dust offense" that Buddy Parker so stubbornly kept with Fran Rogel despite how ineffective it was. Leading to the chants of "Hey diddle diddle, Rogel up the middle" and the story of us finally throwing on first down in a game, scoring an eighty yard touchdown, having it called back on a penalty, and then running up the middle for a yard on the next play.

And we did get top coaches. Or at least who we thought would be top coaches. Jock Sutherland was a great college coach. And there was the Aldo Donelli mess; a successful coach at Duquense who tried to coach both teams at the same time. Obviously didn't produce.

Drafting wasn't successful either. Never had much in the form of solid picks. A here few or there but that's going to happen based on pure numbers and odds. The most infamous pick being Gary Glick who we drafted because of Buddy Parker's stubborn attitude (also cutting star runner and returner Lynn Chadnois just to prove no one was irreplaceable and the man who once cut multiple players after a preseason loss to the Browns before the players even left the locker room). The Glick pick was on the advice of the team's coach without us knowing anything else about the player or watching him at all.

Clearly there were a lot of issues with the team in its first fourty years. But looking at what made us successful, good coaching and even better draft classes, money was not part of the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by msafford View Post
    Ahh...the old, "Rooneys are cheap" argument....how I've missed it. If I'm not mistaken, didn't the Steelers become successful in the 70's because of the Chief turning the reigns over to his sons, who helped to hire Knoll and revamped the scouting and drafting? And as always...if the Rooneys are so cheap, then why have they always been right up against the salary cap year in and year out?
    Bingo.

I think the bigger reason that the Steelers lost so many games all those years, is because the chief liked to choose his coaches based on who would go to the track to gamble with him, just as much or more than who would actually be a good coach. That's why Dan Rooney made such a difference. "Going to the track" wasn't part of the interview process.

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

Also, the biggest reason Dan Rooney is the "poorest" owner in the NFL is because his only business is the Pittsburgh Steelers. He didn't buy the team after making millions or billions of dollars. He doesn't have a business that he runs where the Steelers are more of a side business. He was born into the business of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I just had a massive chest pain.

Quote Originally Posted by msafford View Post

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I just had a massive chest pain.

God I suck. I can't believe I missed that spelling.
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Junior Member Array title="Florida_Steelers_Fan is an unknown quantity at this point"> Florida_Steelers_Fan's Avatar

Does anyone know the total amount paid out for every 2010-2011 player contract (ie. combined total for all NFL players paid out by ownership)? Thanks!
    http://photographs.mccumber.us/540/pittsburgh_night07.jpg

Junior Member Array title="Coffeecold is an unknown quantity at this point">

Quote Originally Posted by Florida_Steelers_Fan View Post

Does anyone know the total amount paid out for every 2010-2011 player contract (ie. combined total for all NFL players paid out by ownership)?
    Thanks!
    There was a report on CNN the other day about the sum total of combined player contracts in 2011 for a number of NFL teams, and I'm fairly sure the Steelers was one of the teams mentioned...I'll see if I can find a copy of the report and PM you a link!
    Last edited by Coffeecold; 08-03-2013 at 02:57 AM.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

I bet any of those billionaires would trade places with Rooney just to have a real shot at winning a SB. Some things are more important than $ when you reach a certain age.
    All Defense!

Swaggin' University Array title="ShutDown24 has a spectacular aura about"> ShutDown24's Avatar

I guess that's why the Rooneys are so cheap

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

I wonder if they get food stamps
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    I wonder if they get food stamps
    I hear Dan and Art are going to Occupy Indy tomorrow. Down with the 1%'ers. !

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    I bet any of those billionaires would trade places with Rooney just to have a real shot at winning a SB. Some things are more important than $ when you reach a certain age.
    That would require them to swallow their egos, hire a real GM and stop playing real life Fantasy Football (looking right at you, Jerrah and Danny-Boy).

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

what a bum
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

I wonder what the worth was BEFORE the new stadium?
    Fire Goodell

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Hey, we're one of the most successful teams in the NFL, I'll take it.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

As for Jerry he's not about winnin' he's about the show. He does what he thinks will put butts in seats and for what it's worth he does it. Hell he even got "Go To Hell" to let him charge fans to watch the game outside the stadium?!?!?! Funny thing is people paid .

I also think it's funny how many cowboy fans are already wanting to run garret outta town after only running the team one season. To his credit Jerry didn't pull the trigger just yet.