Thread: (Former) players union fires back at NFL with 'The Truth'

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

(Former) players union fires back at NFL with 'The Truth'

The NFL detailed its negotiating positions for a new CBA in the hours following the NFLPA's decertification Friday afternoon.
    Now the (former) union has responded in kind, calling its response "The Truth" as stated by executive director DeMaurice Smith.
    (Yep, we're thinking Cool Hand Luke ... "What we've got here is a failure to communicate.")..........

Read more @ http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ontent=Twitter

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Re: (Former) players union fires back at NFL with 'The Truth'

The (former) union went on to detail the "issues which prevented a new NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement from being reached":
    • The NFL demanded a multi-billion dollar giveback and refused to provide any legitimate financial information to justify it.

• The NFL's offer on March 7 to give the NFLPA a single sheet of numbers was NOT financial disclosure. The players' accountants and bankers advised that the "offered" information was meaningless: only two numbers for each year.

• The NFL wanted to turn the clock back on player compensation by four years, moving them back to where they were in 2007.

• The NFL offered no proposal at all for long-term share of revenues.

• NFL demanded 100% of all revenues which went above unrealistically low projections for the first four years.

• The NFL refused to meet the players on significant changes to in-season, off-season or pre-season health and safety rules.

• The NFL kept on the table its hypocritical demand for an 18-game season, despite its public claims to be working toward improving the heath and safety of players.

• The NFL wanted cutbacks in payer workers' compensation benefits for injured players.

• The NFL sought to limit rookie compensation long after they become veterans -- into players' fourth and fifth years

• THE PLAYERS WANT TO KEEP PLAYING:
    1. The players offered repeatedly to continue working under the existing CBA, but were rejected by the NFL five times.
    2. Despite publicly admitting no club was losing money, that TV ratings, sponsorship money, etc. were at an all time high, the NFL continued to insist on an 18-percent rollback in the players' share of revenues and continue to deny the NFLPA's request for justification.

Freakin Amazing! Array title="JonM229 will become famous soon enough"> JonM229's Avatar

The NFL wanted to turn the clock back on player compensation by four years, moving them back to where they were in 2007.
    It's shit like this that makes me apathetic towards the (former) NFLPA

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

•The NFL wanted to turn the clock back on player compensation by four years, moving them back to where they were in 2007.
    Sorry - I can't feel all that sorry for the players. In these really hard economic times, a lot of people have been subjected to salary freezes, cutbacks in hours, have had some of their benefits cut and these are people who work full time, not 6 months out of a year.

This I think is total bullshit and I have to support the NFLPA here:

•The NFL wanted cutbacks in payer workers' compensation benefits for injured players.

CANCER - YOU PICKED THE WRONG BITCH!!!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I agree, HTG.

Yet, they want to increase the games to 18.......and oh, the league is now "safer" because of the new enforcement of the existing rules.

The NFL wanted cutbacks in payer workers' compensation benefits for injured players.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

I have to call BS on the eighteen game proposal that the league was claimed to have "kept" on the table. If they did, they do so very lightly and it wasn't a main sticking point of the NFL.

From the man himself, DeMaurice Smith, just the other day.

"First of all, the league has never presented a formal proposal for 18 games," Smith told SI.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6196585

Tough to keep something on the table when it has never been formally proposed by the league, huh? And we know the league has submitted a couple different proposals along the way. The scheudle was apparently not proposed.

And Jeff Pash said yesterday that the league was willing to keep it at sixteen for the next two years. And it would not go to the eighteen game schedule without the union's constent despite the fact that they could have done so whether the union wanted to or not.

"Goodell pointed out that the league already has the right to impose an 18-game schedule -- and keep four preseason games for each team -- under the current labor agreement with the players."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5497448

Yeah, the owners are so greedy.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Here's the truth about the NFLPA. They have in fact been bargaining in bad faith. Last week's extension was no less a sham than decertification is. All it was was a p.r. ploy to make it look as if they were the good guys in this mess. Well guess what, they're the ones that walked away from the bargaining table, and that was their plan all along. They wanted this to go to the court of David Doty. They want to litigate, not negotiate. And that's the way it's been from day one. They have no intentions of giving anything back to the league, even if the league can prove that the product will be substantially weakened in the years ahead if they continue on their present course.

The NFLPA has borrowed from the same playbook that bankrupted this county's steel and car industry. Grab all you can while you can, and damn what lies ahead!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

The players believe their best chance of winning is in court. While, on the other hand, the owners believe they will get the best deal by squeezing the players wirh an extended lockout. In retrospect, I don't think there was much chance of getting a deal last week at all.
    Last edited by oneforthetoe; 03-13-2011 at 09:40 AM.