Thread: 18-Game Season Is Off NFL Negotiating Table

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

18-Game Season Is Off NFL Negotiating Table

NFLPA Executive Director DeMaurice Smith says an 18-game season is not on the negotiating table, Jim Trotter of Sports Illustrated reports.

"First of all, the league has never presented a formal proposal for 18 games," Smith told SI.com. "But more importantly, it's something that our players don't want. Eighteen games is not in the best interest of our players' safety, so we're not doing it."

As Trotter points out, an 18-game season and a rookie wage scale are believed to have been the key sticking points in talks towards a new collective bargaining agreement.

Yahoo! Sports reported on Wednesday that the NFL and NFLPA have agreed to a rookie wage scale, though the union has denied that's the case.

http://www.macsfootballblog.com/2011...ing-table.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

Re: 18-Game Season Is Off NFL Negotiating Table

kind of thought that it was what they call a "red herring"... which is an "imaginary" substance created that can be used to make a deal with...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Agree 100% SE. Also think that the owners thought it was a win/win issue. If it went through, they get more revenue, if not, they possibly win in another area...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

whew!
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

I would be ok with a 17 game schedule. Every team plays one game at a neutral site. Dropping one preseason game for one more game shouldn't greatly impact players health.

Formerly TheWarden86 Array title="NJarhead has much to be proud of"> NJarhead's Avatar

Moving right along.

The Borskinator Array title="Borski is on a distinguished road"> Borski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneforthetoe View Post
    I would be ok with a 17 game schedule. Every team plays one game at a neutral site. Dropping one preseason game for one more game shouldn't greatly impact players health.
    I like that less the 18 games, i think each team should have an even amount of home and away games, I don't agree with having the neutral site games like London.

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

Lol. Don't get it twisted though... this "more than likely" my not be the last that we hear of a 18 game schedule...... it may take a few years, but don't consider it a wrap...

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Keep it the same.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Borski View Post
    I like that less the 18 games, i think each team should have an even amount of home and away games, I don't agree with having the neutral site games like London.
    Each team would have a more even schedule under this format than exists under the present system. The games in London (which the NFL will not give up) are unfair to the home team selected.

With that said, I am happy with the system as is.

The Borskinator Array title="Borski is on a distinguished road"> Borski's Avatar

Do away with the London game period and its perfect as is. I don't agree with neutral site games except for preseason and the super bowl.

I don't see how they are going to pick 16 neutral sites, I can think of a couple, the London game thats always gonna happen now. Steelers/Eagles in State College, but thats only if they play each other that year.

Do away with the London game period and its perfect as is. I don't agree with neutral site games except for preseason and the super bowl.

I don't see how they are going to pick 16 neutral sites, I can think of a couple, the London game thats always gonna happen now. Steelers/Eagles in State College, but that's only if they play each other that year.
    Well, I don't think it would be all that hard to find neutral sites. The term neutral is a relative term that basically means - not at either team's home stadium. The Super Bowl theoretically is at a neutral site, but how often is it really actually neutral? One team often has a huge advantage. Hell, if Dallas had made the Super Bowl they would have been .... wait, never mind, that's just crazy talk. As you eluded to with your State College reference, college stadiums would be the most likely destinations for these games.

As I said earlier, I am happy with the system as is, with the exception of the London Game. I think it is naive to think the NFL is going to stop playing games in London. In fact, they are probably going to expand "out of country games" at some time in the future. The neutral 17th game, while not the preferable idea, is fairer than having numbers of teams have to give up home games in the future.

I agree the London game won't go away now, but if I had to pick an out of country game I'd rather it be in Canada or Mexico where they at least have some NFL fans.

I agree the London game won't go away now, but if I had to pick an out of country game I'd rather it be in Canada or Mexico where they at least have some NFL fans.
    I agree with that. Canada, Mexico, even South America would make more sense. Moreover, even if Europe is your destination of choice - why Britain? Germany was about the only country in Europe where "NFL Europe" didn't fail. I swear Goodell must think he is descended from the House of Windsor. He seems almost obsessed with the London Game.

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

Good news for the players and this is the only area where I supported them over the owners.

CANCER - YOU PICKED THE WRONG BITCH!!!

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Good, two more games should not be added, especially in light of all the injuries during the superbowl

Senior Member Array title="Steelerone67 is an unknown quantity at this point"> Steelerone67's Avatar

take away all the dumb pre mini camp stuff and two pre season games and add like 4-6 roster spots then maybe.... but if the first 3 things dont happen neither should the 18 games.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    NFLPA Executive Director DeMaurice Smith says an 18-game season is not on the negotiating table, Jim Trotter of Sports Illustrated reports.

"First of all, the league has never presented a formal proposal for 18 games," Smith told SI.com. "But more importantly, it's something that our players don't want. Eighteen games is not in the best interest of our players' safety, so we're not doing it."

As Trotter points out, an 18-game season and a rookie wage scale are believed to have been the key sticking points in talks towards a new collective bargaining agreement.

Yahoo! Sports reported on Wednesday that the NFL and NFLPA have agreed to a rookie wage scale, though the union has denied that's the case.

http://www.macsfootballblog.com/2011...ing-table.html
    That little devil in me just had to point this out.
    http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...l=1#post143494

I do hope its been worked out. It'd be nice to focus more on playing football than football business.

Exclusive: 18-game schedule may still be under consideration

WASHINGTON -- A day after NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith indicated that an 18-game schedule was off the bargaining table amid the ongoing CBA talks between the union and NFL, a person with knowledge of the talks refutes the claim, saying the union hasn't expressed that during the negotiations and that the 18-game schedule is still on the table as far as the league is concerned.

LINK: http://content.usatoday.com/communit...-cba-lockout/1

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    That little devil in me just had to point this out.
    http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...l=1#post143494

I do hope its been worked out. It'd be nice to focus more on playing football than football business.
    Wow Preach you hit the Jeopardy buzzer before i did...

Latin Steel Array title="SMR has a spectacular aura about"> SMR's Avatar

YAY YAY YAY!!! No 18 game season!!!!!!

WE are the NFL's All-Time Dynasty!