Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Philip Rivers vs Ben Roethlisberger

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Re: Philip Rivers vs Ben Roethlisberger

According to the media, Rivers is an elite QB.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Ben is a much better Qb when the matters take last year playoffs Rivers threw a couple of int's that cost the chargers the game. Take a couple years ago in the playoffs against the cheats Rivers did not get the job done then. Bottom line Ben is better when the game is on the line Rivers is a good Qb don't get me wrong but, he needs to win in the playoffs when it counts. So what you want about Ben but, he is a winner!

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Rivers is yet another example in a long line of good regular Season Quarterbacks. Like Carson, McNabb and Romo. Until I see more from him, he's not elite. This RAVINGMADD fellow, like so many other Ravens fans, revile Ben so much that they can't even give him credit. They're so obsessively jealous and bitter over Ben owning the Ravens for so long that they turn stupid. Think Philthy fans and Sidney Crosby.

Rivers took not one, but TWO high-seeded, stacked Charger teams to the playoffs and went one and out both times. That horrible throw against the Jets in the playoffs sealed it for me that he's overrated. He's a very good QB, but not a great one.

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

CANCER - YOU PICKED THE WRONG BITCH!!!

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Phyllis Rivers sucks.

Senior Member Array title="MasterOfPuppets is on a distinguished road">

somebody needs to go over to this phin forum and set these bozo's strait .. a few of em got some common sense but not many.

He might want to thank his team/defense for that oh and his kicker, things that Rivers doesn't have to be thankful for.
    this is the bullshit excuse that gets me ... how many preseason have you heard the media hyping sandiego as the team with the most talent in the league over the past 5 years ? was LT not the top back in the league for the first few years of river's career?
    didn't the chargers go 14 - 2 in 2006 ? i guess rivers did that all on his own with no help from the crappy team around him .
    http://www.finheaven.com/forums/show...-Philip-Rivers

I would, but I don't argue with idiots. So Phyllis has no team around him?

Over the past several years has San Diego been hyped as a Super Bowl favorite in the AFC. They were always the "stacked" team. They were always "the most talented" team. The road to the Super Bowl was going to go through San Diego. How many times have we heard that?

This is what Phyllis has had to work with.

-One of the best backs to hit the league in his Prime(LT), and a jack of all trades, master utility player in Sproles backing him up.
    -An All-Pro Tight End in Gates.
    -A Pro Bowl reciever in Vincent Jackson leading a solid core of recievers.
    -A Solid Offensive Line.
    -A capable Defense with good players that was actually pretty good in 2006. With Merriman, Phillips, Williams, and Jammer.

Poor Phyllis just left out in the desert. Poor dude had to fend for himself. ALL for himself.

San Diego's records over the past four seasons: 14-2, 11-5, 8-8, 13-3. Won the AFC West all those years. Bad teams don't do that. The result of all this success?

3-4 Playoff record.
    Lost the opening playoff game AT HOME TWICE to the Pats and Jets. The latter in Phyllis played HORRIBLY.

Yeah, Phyllis is an elite QB? Yeah right. He sucks.
    Last edited by Edman; 01-16-2011 at 01:41 PM.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

'Phins fans? What do they know about QBs? The last legit QB they had retired over a decade ago.

Once again, all you gotta know is this:

In 7 career playoff games, Rivers has a 3-4 win/loss record, has gone 134-229 (58.5%) for 1820 yards, 8 TD passes, 9 INTs, and a 79.2 QB rating.

In 10 career playoff games (including two Super Bowl wins), Ben has an 8-2 win/loss record, has gone 172-278 (61.9%) for 2239 yards, 15 TD passes, 12 INTs, and an 87.2 QB rating.

And as already pointed out, the excuse that Ben has had better talent around him is a crock of shit, particularly on the offensive side of the ball. Rivers has been playing on a team loaded with talent for pretty much his entire career. Ben being "carried" by his team in the playoffs? Uh, no, a QB being "carried by his team in the playoffs" is one that goes 4-10 for 34 yards, 0 TDs and 1 INT and whose team still wins by three scores on the road (see Flacco in the WC round last year).

Senior Member Array title="MasterOfPuppets is on a distinguished road">

ladanian tomlinson

2006 ...1850 rushing yds ....56 rec.....28 tds

yup.... poor phillip has been a one man show his entire career ...about 20% of his passes those 2 years were dump offs to LT

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    'Phins fans? What do they know about QBs? The last legit QB they had retired over a decade ago.

Once again, all you gotta know is this:

In 7 career playoff games, Rivers has a 3-4 win/loss record, has gone 134-229 (58.5%) for 1820 yards, 8 TD passes, 9 INTs, and a 79.2 QB rating.

In 10 career playoff games (including two Super Bowl wins), Ben has an 8-2 win/loss record, has gone 172-278 (61.9%) for 2239 yards, 15 TD passes, 12 INTs, and an 87.2 QB rating.

And as already pointed out, the excuse that Ben has had better talent around him is a crock of shit, particularly on the offensive side of the ball. Rivers has been playing on a team loaded with talent for pretty much his entire career. Ben being "carried" by his team in the playoffs? Uh, no, a QB being "carried by his team in the playoffs" is one that goes 4-10 for 34 yards, 0 TDs and 1 INT and whose team still wins by three scores on the road (see Flacco in the WC round last year).
    Also, with Ben Roethlisberger, the Steelers scoring 268 points in 10 playoff games.

The chargers has only 139 points in 7 games with Rivers!

It has the world they will say that Roethlisberger had a great running game with the steelers, but since 2005, Willie Parker only had two good games in the playoffs

Davenport was the RB against the jags and it was atrocious.

2 fumbles vs raiders and chargers lose AT oakland

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

Well i kinda see your point and would agree if rivers and rodgers played for a team like detriot but they are on playoff teams. So i think for this arguement you must factor in championships. Ben has the clutch factor and proved it on the biggest stage, so if you asked me what guy i wanted to have the ball with the game on the line , im taking Ben all day long.

member since day 1 Array title="7SteelGal43 is a name known to all"> 7SteelGal43's Avatar

Well, Rivers has one thing Roethlisberger does not................a vagina.
    Stay classy, leftnutz

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

Phillip Rivers isn't talented enough to hold Ben's jockstrap. He's an overrated crybaby who thinks he's the shit. His chokejobs over the years have proven he's wrong. He should go back to what he does best - knockin' up the wife and changing diapers.

CANCER - YOU PICKED THE WRONG BITCH!!!

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Perhaps one of the best quarterbacks back in the 70's/80's was Dan Fouts with Air Coryell. It will be interesting to see if he makes the top 100. Unfortunately, he never won a Super Bowl. Stats do show a certain aspect of a quarterback, but stats never show the leadership qualities and the ability to deliver victories in the clutch. Ben was the youngest QB to have 50 wins. I would take Ben over any QB who can't win, but can consistently throw for 300 yards.

The Virginia Hillbilly Array title="Galax Steeler is a splendid one to behold"> Galax Steeler's Avatar

No comparison Rivers wouldn't make a scab off of Ben's ass.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

I still believe Philip is a great quarterback and is perfect for the Chargers, but he still isn't as good as Ben.

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

Phillip Rivers vs. Eli Manning would be a better debate... Ben is far above Phillip Crybaby

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    I still believe Philip is a great quarterback and is perfect for the Chargers, but he still isn't as good as Ben.
    agree

I love Philip Rivers but it must be better in the playoffs.

But the problem of chargers is A.J Smith.

And Rivers is in the top 5 QB in the league(my opinion),behind Peyton Manning, Brady, Brees and Ben.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

I am glad we have Ben. Can't imagine the Steeler offense with Manning (Peyton or Eli), Brees or Rivers. Those guys just are not tough enough for Pittsburgh.

Rivers is the next Carson Palmer without the famous college roommate.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Ben is a very unique QB, he's a pretty big guy back there slinging the ball so when defenders hit him they have to get him solidly or he doesn't go down. He also has a pretty good sense for what is going on around him so that makes it pretty hard for the defenders to get that solid hit on him.

Then you throw in the fact that when Ben scrambles his eyes are down field looking at what is going on so he knows if a receiver comes open so now it is tough on the guys in the secondary to cover and one wrong move could be all it takes.

Ben has proven he has what it takes to put a team on his shoulders and win games, doesn't mean it always works out that way but he has done it and more times than any other QB at the same stage in their careers. We may not always win with Ben but we sure as hell are a much much better team with him.

IMHO no other QB has what Ben has even though they may have gaudy stats they just don't have his poise and his play making ability. I thank God every day that we got Ben and not Rivers or Eli in that draft, because flaws and all he is head and shoulders the Best QB in the league.

Oh and I do think that it helped him hugely to be drafted by us as well. He was Luckily able to develop into the player that he is with the talent that we had, so it really was a two way street he helped the Steelers and the Steelers helped him. Kinda cool when you think about it.

I think these playoffs are proof that Ben > Rivers.

Faced with a 21-7 Deficit and Terrell Suggs in his mug all game, Ben carves up the Ravens D in the Second Half to win the game. Including a 58 yard bomb to Antonio Brown. By far the play of the game.

Last year, faced with an "insurmountable" 10-7 deficit, Phyllis throws a second pick in the Red Zone which the Jets turn into a 17-7 lead.

At this point, Those who make excuses for Phyllis are just making excuses. He's a great regular season QB, but that's it.
    Last edited by Edman; 01-16-2011 at 02:03 PM.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

B-b-b-b-b-b-but Rivers was the best QB of the 2004 draft.

Rivers didn't even make the playoffs even though they had the best offense statistically.
    All Defense!

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

Have Joe Flacco and Mark Sanchez played in more playoff games than Rivers now? LOL. Gotta be close.

I was over at my friends apartment this past weekend. He is a Titans fan. A girls was there who is a Chargers fan. Once she found out I was a Steelers fan she started talking about how much better Rivers is than Ben. I promptly asked her how many playoff games Rivers has won in his career. I informed her that Ben won that many playoff games (2) this past season alone. And that Rivers is a choke artist.

My friend agreed with her about Rivers being better than Ben. I told him that if he cheered for a team that won in the playoffs he would understand that statistics are not all that matters in judging a QB, but are just one factor. He said he would choose Rivers over Ben to start a team with. I asked him if his goal would be to win a super bowl. He said yes. I then asked him "So why would you pick a choker in the playoffs over a winner in the playoffs?" He had no answer.

But he is biased because he hates the Steelers and Ravens.

Freakin Amazing! Array title="JonM229 will become famous soon enough"> JonM229's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steeldevil View Post
    Have Joe Flacco and Mark Sanchez played in more playoff games than Rivers now? LOL. Gotta be close.
    Flacco has played the same amount of playoff games (7) as Rivers. Flacco is 4-3 and Rivers is 2-5.

Quote Originally Posted by JonM229 View Post
    Flacco has played the same amount of playoff games (7) as Rivers. Flacco is 4-3 and Rivers is 2-5.
    Its official. Phillip Rivers is the ultimate choker.