Thread: Duke to play internationally

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

Duke to play internationally

DURHAM, N.C. – The Duke University Men’s Basketball team will circle the globe in August 2011, with games scheduled in China and Dubai, Vice President and Director of Athletics Kevin White announced Friday.

The team will depart August 14 and tip off August 17 in Kunshan, China, a suburb of Shanghai and the location of a new Duke-affiliated campus expected to open in 2012. On August 19 the team will play in Shanghai’s Mercedes-Benz Arena, former home of the Shanghai World Expo Culture Center.

On August 22, the team will play its third game in China, in Beijing’s MasterCard Center, where Duke Men’s Basketball Coach Mike Krzyzewski led Team USA to a gold medal during the 2008 Olympics. Team USA’s performance in Beijing introduced many Chinese basketball fans to Krzyzewski, the legendary coach known to Duke fans and players as “Coach K.”

On August 26 the team will end its tour with a game in Dubai, one of the cities in which Duke’s Fuqua School of Business has established a significant presence.

READ MORE: http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...CLID=205098336

Have heard we plan on playing the Chinese national team and maybe other national teams and Professional teams.

Very weird...

Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

Re: Duke to play internationally

Sounds kool - As long as the team doesn't land back to Madison Square Garden to play my Red Storm , lol

Senior Member Array title="Nadroj 20 is just really nice"> Nadroj 20's Avatar

Good experience for those guys getting to play international ball....it could be some of the best basketball they ever go up against since overseas ball is still "basketball" and not a pick up game...(NBA).
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"
    ~Rest In Peace HometownGal~

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

venom: Congrats on the season so far, St. Johns clearly in the Tourn. unless they implode. You guys just destroyed us. First Duke game in a while I have had to stop watching for a few minutes it was so ugly. First time Duke lost up at Cameron-North in a while.

Nadroj: Very true.

Duke will be talented as always next year but I just can't see us beating overseas National and professional teams that consist of grown men. It will be a good experience though.

Duke wins 77-64 in Kunshan. Rivers nets team-high 18 pts, while Dawkins, Kelly + Curry also reach double figures

31-19 foul discrepancy and 40-15 free throw discrepancy in favor of the home team. Good thing China went 18 of 40 from the FT line. Thats bad. I don't even think a Carolina fan could argue that Duke got calls in this one.

For anyone who cares, the last 3 games will all be on ESPNU and ESPN3.

Senior Member Array title="Nadroj 20 is just really nice"> Nadroj 20's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steeldevil View Post
    Duke wins 77-64 in Kunshan. Rivers nets team-high 18 pts, while Dawkins, Kelly + Curry also reach double figures

31-19 foul discrepancy and 40-15 free throw discrepancy in favor of the home team. Good thing China went 18 of 40 from the FT line. Thats bad. I don't even think a Carolina fan could argue that Duke got calls in this one.

For anyone who cares, the last 3 games will all be on ESPNU and ESPN3.
    Thanks steeldevil, I'll be tuning in.
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"
    ~Rest In Peace HometownGal~

Quote Originally Posted by Nadroj 20 View Post
    Thanks steeldevil, I'll be tuning in.
    Tomorrow morning at 8 AM on ESPNU is the 2nd game. Not sure about the last 2. Since they are in China the games on in the morning here. Glad I have DVR.

Well for some dumbass reason my DVR didn't record the game this morning.... Duke won the 2nd game 78-65.

Georgetown got in a fight with the other team during their game in China today...

Duke wins all 4 games in Asia.

Dawkins and Curry are just plain nasty behind the 3 point line...

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

My alma mater did the same. They are allowed to do this every 4 years, but they usually don't exercise the option. So much youth forced them to take advantage...My Zips went 4-0 against Canada's best.

Now, they aren't Duke, but they have strung together 7 seasons in a row with 20+ wins, so nothing to scoff at. Solid mid-major program.
    Fire Goodell