Thread: UNCONSTITUTIONAL

member since day 1 Array title="7SteelGal43 is a name known to all"> 7SteelGal43's Avatar

UNCONSTITUTIONAL

So Obama declares the 'defense of marriage' act unconstitutional and says the Justice Department will no longer defend the law in court. So he just ups and makes that declaration. And yet, Obamacare has been ruled unconstitutional, you know, in an actual court of law due to the 'everyone must have it' provision and he and his ilk are demanding "it's the law of the land".

DISCLAIMER:This is NOT to start a debate on the 'same sex marriage' topic so please, don't hijack this thread in that direction.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...-marriage-law/
    Stay classy, leftnutz

Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

Re: UNCONSTITUTIONAL

696 days until NObama leaves office......but whos counting

The Princess' Daddy! Array title="stlrtruck will become famous soon enough"> stlrtruck's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

Quote Originally Posted by 7SteelGal43 View Post
    So Obama declares the 'defense of marriage' act unconstitutional and says the Justice Department will no longer defend the law in court. So he just ups and makes that declaration. And yet, Obamacare has been ruled unconstitutional, you know, in an actual court of law due to the 'everyone must have it' provision and he and his ilk are demanding "it's the law of the land".

DISCLAIMER:This is NOT to start a debate on the 'same sex marriage' topic so please, don't hijack this thread in that direction.

No it's a debate to figure out if this man who once supposedly studied and practiced law actually understands it without having to reword it to fit his agenda.

The man if an idiot if the general population hasn't caught on to him. Maybe it's time Americans start revolting against the supposed leaders of this country.

Quote Originally Posted by venom View Post
    696 days until NObama leaves office......but whos counting
    Probably not you , but I'd say at least 50% of the country.

60 MINS, 53 MEN, 1 NATION
    STEELERS NATION

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

Didn't you get the Memo where it sez Demos can do whatever they want without anyone's approval?

A lot of people felt Peanut Man was as dumb as a corn nut (which is far from the truth - he just wasn't a good President) but Obaaaaaama has proven himself to be the biggest and dumbest farce ever elected. When he's tossed out on his ass after the next Prez election, he should consider acting. He would be a dead lock to get the lead in a Tennessee Tuxedo flick.

CANCER - YOU PICKED THE WRONG BITCH!!!

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
    Didn't you get the Memo where it sez Demos can do whatever they want without anyone's approval?

A lot of people felt Peanut Man was as dumb as a corn nut (which is far from the truth - he just wasn't a good President) but Obaaaaaama has proven himself to be the biggest and dumbest farce ever elected. When he's tossed out on his ass after the next Prez election, he should consider acting. He would be a dead lock to get the lead in a Tennessee Tuxedo flick.
    I really would not be surprised to see him get enough Dem/minority/stupid people votes to win a second term.
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Formerly TheWarden86 Array title="NJarhead has much to be proud of"> NJarhead's Avatar

"While Americans want Washington to focus on creating jobs and cutting spending, the president will have to explain why he thinks now is the appropriate time to stir up a controversial issue that sharply divides the nation," Boehner spokesman Michael Steel told Fox News.
    Votes and support?

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

I'm fairly certain that Obama wants the american people at each others throat. Every 3 months or so he does something so stupid that you have to consider that it was done intentionally.

Formerly TheWarden86 Array title="NJarhead has much to be proud of"> NJarhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    I'm fairly certain that Obama wants the american people at each others throat. Every 3 months or so he does something so stupid that you have to consider that it was done intentionally.
    It'd be tough to argue otherwise.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Obama doesn't really care about the constitution he just uses it out of convenience

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

Is the President allowed to simply refuse to fight a constitutional challenge to a federal law?

And if so, can President Palin simply order the Justice Department not to fight the Obamacare lawsuits?

Freakin Amazing! Array title="JonM229 will become famous soon enough"> JonM229's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    President Palin
    Sorry...I threw up a little in my mouth

Quote Originally Posted by JonM229 View Post
    Sorry...I threw up a little in my mouth
    Dude, we have the political and intellectual equivalent of a rock in the White House right now. Anyone would be an improvement.

"Hope and Change" I think I just threw up a little in my mouth too.

Senior Member Array title="Doc_Holiday is an unknown quantity at this point"> Doc_Holiday's Avatar

So Obama declares the 'defense of marriage' act unconstitutional and says the Justice Department will no longer defend the law in court. So he just ups and makes that declaration.
    Executive Order does allow some leeway on this. But what I find fascinating is that it was President Clinton who signed this into law.

And yet, Obamacare has been ruled unconstitutional, you know, in an actual court of law due to the 'everyone must have it' provision and he and his ilk are demanding "it's the law of the land".
    It was ruled unconstitutional in one district in one state. District judges cannot overrule federal law outside their own district. Only the Supreme Court of The United States will be allowed to determine whether or not the Health Care Law is unconstitutional.

Don't care either way; but this decision will allow the states to dictate how they view marriage until the federal government makes yet, another legislative bill or it goes to the Supreme Court.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Just to be fair, this is not just a problem on one side. Dubya used to pick and choose which parts of legislation he was willing to enforce also.
    Personally, I wouldn't defend DOMA either.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Tiger Lion and Steel Array title="SteelCityMan786 will become famous soon enough"> SteelCityMan786's Avatar

Where the lands are a mix of Black and Gold with some Blue and White

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Obama doesn't really care about the constitution he just uses it out of convenience
    Well, thing is, people are gonna cite the 14th for why DOMA is unconstitutional. I don't have enough evidence to say yes it is, but I still need to do further research before delivering my final decision. So assume my answer is no until I have been able to do further research.

He can't declare it unconstitutional. That power is in the hands of the Supreme Court and the Supreme Court only. Yes he can create executive order, but that to can be struck down by the Supreme Court.
    786 Ways to score touchdowns

member since day 1 Array title="7SteelGal43 is a name known to all"> 7SteelGal43's Avatar

He can't declare it unconstitutional. That power is in the hands of the Supreme Court and the Supreme Court only. Yes he can create executive order, but that to can be struck down by the Supreme Court.

Well I guess I should have stated it this way...President Obama has instructed Eric Holder and the Justice Department NOT to defend the DOMA in court anymore because they believe it is unconstitutional.

GOD BLESS THE A.C.L.J.
    Stay classy, leftnutz

Senior Member Array title="Doc_Holiday is an unknown quantity at this point"> Doc_Holiday's Avatar

Yep. Just as he's instructed them not to prosecute anyone for alleged war crimes over 'enhanced interrogation.' Right now he's the man in charge and it's his call.