Thread: Best Conference?

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

Best Conference?

I am sick and tired of hearing that the Big East is the best conference and has been for the last 10 or so years. The national media obsession with the Big East is sickening. Being a Duke fan my conference is the ACC, the best conference all time. That is not disputable. Whoever is 2nd is not a close 2nd. As for the Big East's so called "dominance" over the last 10 years, people point to the fact that the Big East has put the most teams in the tournament the last 10 years. Well then, I will point to the fact that the Big East has what, 16 teams in it? Not hard to get 7 - 10 teams in every year when you have that many teams. But those teams from the Big East that make it usually don't go far. I will admit that the ACC top to bottom is pretty much the worst it has ever been. But over the last 10 years the ACC has been better than the Big East. Why? 5 > 1. 5 = The number of national championships the ACC has won in the last 10 years. 1 = The number of national championships the Big East has won in the last 10 years. Why has this happened? Because the top 2 teams in the ACC are always better than the top 2 teams in the Big East. Which for the team I root for, works for me.

So the media can keep sucking up to the Big East while they win no championships, meanwhile the ACC, yes the most prestigious conference ever in college basketball, will just keep doing what you are supposed to do: Hang banners that say "National Champions" on them.

Well there is my vent for the day.

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

Re: Best Conference?

Big East: 2 out of 11 teams make the Sweet 16.

ACC: 3 out of 4 teams make the Sweet 16.

ESPN will not recognize this though....

This is why I think it is an absolute joke when people say that the BE is better than the ACC, because it is not.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Well the BE was still a great conference. However, unless two remaining BE teams make the final four I have to admit that the ACC has to be considered the best.

Wildcat Steelers fan Array title="steelersfanman92 is an unknown quantity at this point"> steelersfanman92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steeldevil View Post
    Big East: 2 out of 11 teams make the Sweet 16.

ACC: 3 out of 4 teams make the Sweet 16.

ESPN will not recognize this though....

This is why I think it is an absolute joke when people say that the BE is better than the ACC, because it is not.
    The Big East is probably overrated but 2 BE teams beat 2 other ones which I think some what skew the percentage of sweet sixteen, etc teams

Quote Originally Posted by steelersfanman92 View Post
    The Big East is probably overrated but 2 BE teams beat 2 other ones which I think some what skew the percentage of sweet sixteen, etc teams
    You can look at it that way. I would look at it that if Uconn, Cincy, Syracuse, and Marquette had all been playing teams from a different conference then they all 4 would have lost....

Senior Member Array title="Steelerone67 is an unknown quantity at this point"> Steelerone67's Avatar

I am sick and tired of hearing that the Big East is the best conference and has been for the last 10 or so years. The national media obsession with the Big East is sickening. Being a Duke fan my conference is the ACC, the best conference all time. That is not disputable. Whoever is 2nd is not a close 2nd. As for the Big East's so called "dominance" over the last 10 years, people point to the fact that the Big East has put the most teams in the tournament the last 10 years. Well then, I will point to the fact that the Big East has what, 16 teams in it? Not hard to get 7 - 10 teams in every year when you have that many teams. But those teams from the Big East that make it usually don't go far. I will admit that the ACC top to bottom is pretty much the worst it has ever been. But over the last 10 years the ACC has been better than the Big East. Why? 5 > 1. 5 = The number of national championships the ACC has won in the last 10 years. 1 = The number of national championships the Big East has won in the last 10 years. Why has this happened? Because the top 2 teams in the ACC are always better than the top 2 teams in the Big East. Which for the team I root for, works for me.

So the media can keep sucking up to the Big East while they win no championships, meanwhile the ACC, yes the most prestigious conference ever in college basketball, will just keep doing what you are supposed to do: Hang banners that say "National Champions" on them.

Well there is my vent for the day.
    The Funniest thing ever. When does anyone talk about anything other then Duke, UNC or the #1 Team? Oh only when ELEVEN Big east teams make the tourny thats it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerone67 View Post
    The Funniest thing ever. When does anyone talk about anything other then Duke, UNC or the #1 Team? Oh only when ELEVEN Big east teams make the tourny thats it.
    Whenever media talks about Duke or UNC, 95% of the time they have earned it. The media talks about Duke and UNC because they are almost constantly the best. Why ESPN is constantly talking about the BIG LEAST is beyond me. They are extremely overrated.

ACC's 3rd best team just ran a top 3 or 4 BE team into the damn ground...

Senior Member Array title="Steelerone67 is an unknown quantity at this point"> Steelerone67's Avatar

Whenever media talks about Duke or UNC, 95% of the time they have earned it. The media talks about Duke and UNC because they are almost constantly the best. Why ESPN is constantly talking about the BIG LEAST is beyond me. They are extremely overrated.

ACC's 3rd best team just ran a top 3 or 4 BE team into the damn ground...

Hmm when half of the big east is ranked, that means ranked big east teams play ranked big east teams almost every game. Then they play the big east tourney which is another game or two against ranked teams. Then the tourney starts... so all the other divisions should consider themselves lucky that the big east beats the shit out of themselves every year before the tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerone67 View Post
    Hmm when half of the big east is ranked, that means ranked big east teams play ranked big east teams almost every game. Then they play the big east tourney which is another game or two against ranked teams. Then the tourney starts... so all the other divisions should consider themselves lucky that the big east beats the shit out of themselves every year before the tourney.
    Well if all the BE teams play such elite competition all year long then all 11 of those BE teams should be very fine tuned and ready to beat the living hell out of the LESSER competition the other conferences present in the NCAA tourney...

Yea that worked out...