Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 35

Thread: Pitt basketball???

  1. #1
    K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Queen City, NC
    Gender
    Posts
    4,216

    Pitt basketball???

    Just wondering?

    I know a lot of people up in Pennsylvania/Pittsburgh are Penn St. fans, but are there not any Pitt fans?? Especially in basketball? I thought there would be a thread on Pitt basketball by now. They are really good and I sure hope that they get recognition and have good fans. I know football rules the roost in da burgh but Pitt has a very good basketball team this year...

    SO TALK ABOUT THEM! LOL

    Now that the NFL season is over I will likely be starting more threads in here, so PLEASE someone get in here and talk some college basketball with me. I know I can't be the only college Bball freak on here.

  2. #2
    Tiger Lion and Steel Array title="SteelCityMan786 will become famous soon enough"> SteelCityMan786's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Where the lands are a mix of Black and Gold with some Blue and White
    Posts
    1,349

    Re: Pitt basketball???

    There are several Pitt basketball fans there. Just the thing is, the balance is more Pitt in Basketball, more PSU in Football. (At least in terms of those outside of City limits).
    786 Ways to score touchdowns

  3. #3
    K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Queen City, NC
    Gender
    Posts
    4,216

    Re: Pitt basketball???

    Well I hope that this section of the site starts heating up if there are Pitt fans on here, because they are good. Better than I thought they would be.




    Also, I was watching the end of the Pitt-WV game last night and saw that Pitt has won 20 games and 10 Big East games FOR 10 STRAIGHT YEARS. WOW! I know Pitt had been consistently good for a while but didn't know all that! Jamie Dixon is a great coach. Who knows what he could do with elite recruits?

    Wouldn't mind seeing him on the sidelines in CIS when the best coach in the world decides to call it quits...
    Last edited by steeldevil; 02-08-2011 at 01:04 PM. Reason: addition

  4. #4
    Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    11,535

    Re: Pitt basketball???

    Yeah, Jamie Dixon has been great for us with coaching, keeping the players in line, and recruiting. This might be one of the best, if not the best team he's ever coached. So much talent and depth are proving to be a HUGE thing for the school. Other than the Tennessee game, they've played great all year long.

  5. #5
    K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Queen City, NC
    Gender
    Posts
    4,216

    Re: Pitt basketball???

    Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    Yeah, Jamie Dixon has been great for us with coaching, keeping the players in line, and recruiting. This might be one of the best, if not the best team he's ever coached. So much talent and depth are proving to be a HUGE thing for the school. Other than the Tennessee game, they've played great all year long.
    O yeah, must have lots of talent to beat your rival on their own home court without your best player. I didn't know Gibbs wasn't playing until afterwards.

    It will be interesting to see if Pitt can get a number 1 seed though. The Big East is fucking redic this year. And if Gibbs is out for a while, Im not sure about it, then they could be in danger of losing that #1 seed.

  6. #6
    Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    11,535

    Re: Pitt basketball???

    Gibbs will be back in nine days..... this is Wanamakers team anyways.

  7. #7
    Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Steelers Nation
    Posts
    3,173

    Re: Pitt basketball???

    Since nobody said it yet (and the fact that a Duke Fan started the thread is too hard to pass up ), I'll say it - cograts to Pitt for winning the Big East conference.

    I know there is a great deal of talk lately about how the Big East is really not the best bball conference this season, but the facts are hard to dispute. Yes, they have 16 teams, but 10 or 11 of those teams will make the tourney. There has been as many as 8 teams ( 1/2, after all) ranked at any one time. And finally, if you look at the numbers only two of the 16 teams have losing records outside the conference.

    Sure there is too much hype regarding Big East, but that hype machine runs a muck in all areas of sports these days. Given Pitts history in the tourney I am hardly predicting a championship. I could see OH state, Duke , Kansas or any number of other teams winning it all. Still, all and all, congrats again to Pitt for winning the toughest conference this season.

  8. #8
    U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Shreveport, LA
    Gender
    Posts
    3,278

    Re: Pitt basketball???

    Huge PITT fan here.......**** Penn State, lol


    I watch as much PITT BBall as I can out here in Cali, when I cant watch I keep up through the internet. I am really not on here enough to chime in about much of anything, but us PITT fans are out there, trust me




  9. #9
    K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Queen City, NC
    Gender
    Posts
    4,216

    Re: Pitt basketball???

    Quote Originally Posted by oneforthetoe View Post
    Since nobody said it yet (and the fact that a Duke Fan started the thread is too hard to pass up ), I'll say it - cograts to Pitt for winning the Big East conference.

    I know there is a great deal of talk lately about how the Big East is really not the best bball conference this season, but the facts are hard to dispute. Yes, they have 16 teams, but 10 or 11 of those teams will make the tourney. There has been as many as 8 teams ( 1/2, after all) ranked at any one time. And finally, if you look at the numbers only two of the 16 teams have losing records outside the conference.

    Sure there is too much hype regarding Big East, but that hype machine runs a muck in all areas of sports these days. Given Pitts history in the tourney I am hardly predicting a championship. I could see OH state, Duke , Kansas or any number of other teams winning it all. Still, all and all, congrats again to Pitt for winning the toughest conference this season.
    Yeah congrats to Pitt.

    And Duke won't be getting past the second round if they keep playing like they have the last 2 weeks. Its been flat out aweful.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fair Hill Md.
    Posts
    15,903

    Re: Pitt basketball???

    Well so much for a 1 seed in the big dance. Just goes to show you can win a lot of games during the season with marginal talent, but when you get into March you got to have a guy or two on the roster that has a future at the next level to make a serious run. Pitt just doesn't draw the 5 star recruits that a Carolina, Syracuse, U.Conn or Duke does.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

  11. #11
    Senior Member Array title="Steelerone67 is an unknown quantity at this point"> Steelerone67's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Posts
    168

    Re: Pitt basketball???

    Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Well so much for a 1 seed in the big dance. Just goes to show you can win a lot of games during the season with marginal talent, but when you get into March you got to have a guy or two on the roster that has a future at the next level to make a serious run. Pitt just doesn't draw the 5 star recruits that a Carolina, Syracuse, U.Conn or Duke does.
    We still got the one seed... ND wont win the big east tourny... and i doubt they give the one seed to BYU

  12. #12
    Senior Member Array title="T&B fan has much to be proud of"> T&B fan's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    in the snow belt
    Posts
    877

    Re: Pitt basketball???

    pitt still will get a #1 syracuse lost last yr and still got the #1 .. go cuse
    we must never forget tell everyone you know New England cheated and might be back at it Edit 1-21-15 there back Edit #2__12-8-19 here we go again Edit #3__ 5-25-23 it never ends

  13. #13
    Formerly TheWarden86 Array title="NJarhead has much to be proud of"> NJarhead's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Gender
    Posts
    2,766

    Re: Pitt basketball???

    My Uncle from Connellsville is a HUGE PITT Basketball fan and a season ticket holder.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Array title="Steelerone67 is an unknown quantity at this point"> Steelerone67's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Posts
    168

    Re: Pitt basketball???

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 View Post
    My Uncle from Connellsville is a HUGE PITT Basketball fan and a season ticket holder.
    He head to NY for the tourny? short trip if he did

  15. #15
    Formerly TheWarden86 Array title="NJarhead has much to be proud of"> NJarhead's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Gender
    Posts
    2,766

    Re: Pitt basketball???

    Quote Originally Posted by Steelerone67 View Post
    He head to NY for the tourny? short trip if he did
    Considering his Daughter's engagement party is on Saturday in New Jersey, he actually might have. I'll see him on Saturday.

  16. #16
    Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Steelers Nation
    Posts
    3,173

    Re: Pitt basketball???

    Quote Originally Posted by Steelerone67 View Post
    We still got the one seed... ND wont win the big east tourny... and i doubt they give the one seed to BYU
    I agree. Now if ND wins the Big East and Duke the ACC maybe some might have an argument, but I still think Pitt gets a 1 seed.

  17. #17
    K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Queen City, NC
    Gender
    Posts
    4,216

    Re: Pitt basketball???

    Quote Originally Posted by oneforthetoe View Post
    I agree. Now if ND wins the Big East and Duke the ACC maybe some might have an argument, but I still think Pitt gets a 1 seed.
    If ND wins the BE and we win the ACC Pitt will be a 2 seed. Likely the highest 2 seed.

    ND and Duke will both probably lose this weekend though and so I still think Pitt will get a #1 Sunday.

    I guess if Carolina wins the tournament they will get a #1 seed. Makes me want to vomit.

  18. #18
    Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Steelers Nation
    Posts
    3,173

    Re: Pitt basketball???

    For what it is worth I think Louisville just assured Pitt of a #1 seed. I think for ND to pass Pitt they would have had to win the Big East Tourney. Of course, for whatever a number one seed is worth.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fair Hill Md.
    Posts
    15,903

    Re: Pitt basketball???

    They're dead to me now! Fucking chokers!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

  20. #20
    Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Gender
    Posts
    10,651

    Re: Pitt basketball???

    Another #1 seed another choke another heart breaking season and game ugh!
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011


    "When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

    - Greg Lloyd


  21. #21
    K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Queen City, NC
    Gender
    Posts
    4,216

    Re: Pitt basketball???

    To all the Pitt fans except Steelerone67: sorry for the loss.

    To Steelerone67: Remember this? "nothing matters except this year... and PITT is better then Duke THIS YEAR..."


    HAHA.

  22. #22
    Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fair Hill Md.
    Posts
    15,903

    Re: Pitt basketball???

    I'm over it. Got some good freshman coming in, next year's a new year. Go Panthers!

    And Jamie Dixon is going to get this team to the final four sooner or later. Too good of a coach and man to allow this setback to destroy a good thing.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

  23. #23
    Senior Member Array title="Steelerone67 is an unknown quantity at this point"> Steelerone67's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Posts
    168

    Re: Pitt basketball???

    Quote Originally Posted by steeldevil View Post
    To all the Pitt fans except Steelerone67: sorry for the loss.

    To Steelerone67: Remember this? "nothing matters except this year... and PITT is better then Duke THIS YEAR..."


    HAHA.

  24. #24
    K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Queen City, NC
    Gender
    Posts
    4,216

    Re: Pitt basketball???

    Just heard from ESPN that Pitt under Jamie Dixon won more regular season games than any other program during the time span Dixon has been at Pitt...

    Thats damn impressive.

    He just needs to meet and get advice from former coaches that were able to have success in March. If he could take Pitt consistently to and beyond the Sweet 16 he would be a top 5 coach IMO.

    Anyone that thinks he should be fired isn't really thinking...

  25. #25
    Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    11,535

    Re: Pitt basketball???

    Quote Originally Posted by steeldevil View Post
    Just heard from ESPN that Pitt under Jamie Dixon won more regular season games than any other program during the time span Dixon has been at Pitt...

    Thats damn impressive.

    He just needs to meet and get advice from former coaches that were able to have success in March. If he could take Pitt consistently to and beyond the Sweet 16 he would be a top 5 coach IMO.

    Anyone that thinks he should be fired isn't really thinking...
    If anyone thinks that Jamie Dixon should be fired is just an idiot. He's one of the best college basketball coaches in the nation and arguably the best in the Big East. I'd love to see Jamie bring a national championship back to Pitt. It's long over due for another championship, the last time Pitt was national champion in basketball was 1930... talk about a drought.

  26. #26
    K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Queen City, NC
    Gender
    Posts
    4,216

    Re: Pitt basketball???

    Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    If anyone thinks that Jamie Dixon should be fired is just an idiot. He's one of the best college basketball coaches in the nation and arguably the best in the Big East. I'd love to see Jamie bring a national championship back to Pitt. It's long over due for another championship, the last time Pitt was national champion in basketball was 1930... talk about a drought.
    Thats before the NCAA existed.

    Back then multiple newspapers/organizations "crowned" the National Champion, and often there was more than 1 National Champion each year.

    I see that the Pitt 1930 title you were refering to is a Helms National Championship. Is there a banner for it inside Pitt's arena?

    Carolina has a banner up for their 1924 Helms National Championship.

    These "championships" are not official in any way so I don't really buy into them. I know for a fact that at least 3 other schools that claim to be the 1924 National Champions.....

    It irks me when a Carolina fan claims they have won 6 national championships and I say no you have 5 and they say "1924"..... NO!!

  27. #27
    Senior Member Array title="Steelerone67 is an unknown quantity at this point"> Steelerone67's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Posts
    168

    Re: Pitt basketball???

    LOL going way to far back.

  28. #28
    K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Queen City, NC
    Gender
    Posts
    4,216

    Re: Pitt basketball???

    Saw that Ashton Gibbs has declared for the NBA Draft but has not hired an agent. I am assuming this would be a huge loss if he does not decide to come back.

  29. #29
    Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fair Hill Md.
    Posts
    15,903

    Re: Pitt basketball???

    Quote Originally Posted by steeldevil View Post
    Saw that Ashton Gibbs has declared for the NBA Draft but has not hired an agent. I am assuming this would be a huge loss if he does not decide to come back.
    It would be a huge mistake for him to go pro imo. It's not even a given that he'll be drafted, he should come back and enjoy his senior season at Pitt, and getting a degree wouldn't be a bad idea for him either.

    His pro prospects probably start and end in Europe.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

  30. #30
    K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Queen City, NC
    Gender
    Posts
    4,216

    Re: Pitt basketball???

    Gibbs coming back.

    Pitt should yet again be a very competitive, top 10-15 team. Dixon is quite the coach. The Pitt program could truly be elite if he could just improve recruiting. But only part of that is on him.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •