Thread: Muhsin Muhammad Retires

85 = Tyler Eifert Array title="CantStop85 is an unknown quantity at this point"> CantStop85's Avatar

Muhsin Muhammad Retires

Carolina Panthers' Muhsin Muhammad Retires After 14 Seasons

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- A cocky Muhsin Muhammad joined a Carolina franchise in 1996 that was beginning only its second season, and over the next two decades the Panthers and Muhammad effectively grew up and matured together.

That's why the former Pro Bowl receiver's retirement announcement was so lengthy. There were a lot of memories to go over and a lot of people to thank.

Carolina's career leader in catches and yards receiving walked away from the game on Thursday after 14 seasons, 11 of which were spent in Charlotte, where Muhammad made a transformation on and off the field.

"I've done everything I could possibly do in an NFL career for 14 years, outside of actually winning a championship ring," Muhammad said. "I've played in two Super Bowls, I have Super Bowl records and I've done a lot of good things throughout my career. I'm full, I'm fulfilled. I'm at peace with my decision."

The 37-year-old Muhammad had said after the 2009 season that he wanted to continue playing. But after the Panthers began a youth movement and chose not to re-sign him, Muhammad had to decide if he wanted to try to play elsewhere.

A desire to spend more time with the private equity fund he recently started and possibly do television work made the decision easier.

Muhammad, a crowd favorite known as "Moose" in these parts, is finished with football and set to chase his six kids around -- including two adopted from Ethiopia.

He finishes with a team-best 696 catches and 9,255 yards receiving, and his 50 touchdowns are tied with Steve Smith for the most in club history.

"It's been exhilarating, it's been fun, it's been really fulfilling," Muhammad said. "I really love my fans, the community. I'll always be here, be a part of this. It's been really refreshing to always have the support of the fans, the organization, the city, of the state. It's been an honor to represent this organization."

Muhammad was Carolina's second-round pick in 1996 out of Michigan State. There were some clashes early with veteran receivers coach Richard Williamson, and Muhammad had some trouble on and off the field despite his skill as a tall, possession receiver and exceptional downfield blocker.

He drew publicity for putting "D. Coy" over the name on the back of his jersey at practice one day because he felt he wasn't getting the ball enough. He was quoted after a 52-9 loss to close the 2000 season that "Amid all the ashes and rubble, a flower bloomed today" because he had gone over 100 catches for the season.

But as Muhammad grew older, started a family and teamed with Smith and new coach John Fox, the Panthers thrived as Muhammad became an important locker room presence.

Muhammad was a key cog in Carolina's 2003 Super Bowl season, catching an 85-yard touchdown pass from Jake Delhomme, still the longest in Super Bowl history.

He made his second Pro Bowl in 2004, only to leave for Chicago after the Panthers released him when they couldn't agree on a restructured contract.

"You never should have left," Panthers owner Jerry Richardson told him Thursday.

Muhammad reached another Super Bowl with the Bears in the 2006 season, but his numbers declined a year later and he was released.

Smith, a close friend, quickly tried to get management to sign him as the Panthers had struggled to find an adequate complement for Smith, who had emerged as a star.

Muhammad re-signed with Carolina before the 2008 season.

"Making up was better than breaking up," he said.

Muhammad became a veteran influence in the locker room, Carolina's union representative and active in the community, and he was still one of the game's best blocking receivers.

"A guy I knew I could count on in tough times," Fox said. "I knew he'd keep a level head even in good times, would grab guys by the throat in the tough times. Moose did all of those things."

But the Panthers made no effort to sign him in the offseason as they shed numerous veterans, including Delhomme.

"They just told me that they're doing something different now," Muhammad said. "They're going younger, they're rebuilding and that kind of stuff.

"Would there have been an opportunity to re-sign me if it presented itself? I don't know that, but that opportunity would have passed me. I was ready to do something else," he said.

Dressed in a blue suit at a podium at Bank of America Stadium, Muhammad thanked former players and people in the organization ranging from Richardson to the training staff to security guards.

He didn't tear up until he looked at Christa, his wife and former high school sweetheart in the front row, and Smith, sitting in the back of the room.

"I was trying to keep my eyes away from them because I knew I was going to get emotional," Muhammad said. "Playing with [Smith] and not being able to play with him again. Tears of joy more for my wife and I and our relationship."
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5271143

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Re: Muhsin Muhammad Retires

Steve: "Thank you Muhsin"
    Muhsin: "You're welcome Steve"

Latin Steel Array title="SMR has a spectacular aura about"> SMR's Avatar

God bless you Muhammad, you were exceptional on the Panthers!
    WE are the NFL's All-Time Dynasty!

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

What a great player for the Panthers. Wish him the best of luck in his future!
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

Shenaniguy Array title="kmsteelerwr15 is on a distinguished road"> kmsteelerwr15's Avatar

Much respect and sad to see him go. You could tell he really loved the game and he showed it every time he stepped foot on the gridiron.

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Best of luck to him in his future.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

I still dont understand why he was booed during the Bears vs. Colts superbowl when they were doing the coinflip....

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

He was a class act. He was a favorite non-Steeler.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

The Virginia Hillbilly Array title="Galax Steeler is a splendid one to behold"> Galax Steeler's Avatar

I wish him well he was one heck of a player and knew how to play the game of football.