Thread: Statue of Washington Covered

member since day 1 Array title="7SteelGal43 is a name known to all"> 7SteelGal43's Avatar

Statue of Washington Covered

Are you effin' kidding me ?!

The NAACP holds a Martin Luther King, jr hold a rally and decide to cover the statue of our first president ?

http://www.myfoxchattanooga.com/dpp/...g-Day_66081115
    Stay classy, leftnutz

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Re: Statue of Washington Covered

The lack of respect for our founding fathers in this country is utterly disgraceful. There would be no Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. without George Washington, they should be celebrating that.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

They should remove the "N" from the front of their name. How can any "national" organization have such blatant disrespect for the founders of our "NATION"?
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Not surprised, coming from a far-left organization

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

wow.....thats some bullshit

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    The lack of respect for our founding fathers in this country is utterly disgraceful.
    IMO, actions like these are largely symptomatic of a politically correct and "sanitized" version of revisionist history that's being pushed in this country which is more than just disgraceful, it's downright frightening. Yeah, slavery once existed in this country. Yeah, there was once overt and widespread oppression in this country. This country, like every other country, has been a party to some very unsavory things in its past. Don't deny it, don't block it out, learn from it.

Senior Member Array title="Doc_Holiday is an unknown quantity at this point"> Doc_Holiday's Avatar

I found it odd that this has been status quo for the last 10 years or so of them holding this event. Their excuse of "For aesthetic purposes..." falls short. But I wonder why there was no outrage over the past decade of them doing this?

Most people paint our founding fathers as saints and they were not. I don't think it was all that offensive for blocking off the statue as just stupid. Like throwing a drape on the "Lady of Justice" to hide her exposed breast.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Holiday View Post
    I found it odd that this has been status quo for the last 10 years or so of them holding this event. Their excuse of "For aesthetic purposes..." falls short. But I wonder why there was no outrage over the past decade of them doing this?

Most people paint our founding fathers as saints and they were not. I don't think it was all that offensive for blocking off the statue as just stupid. Like throwing a drape on the "Lady of Justice" to hide her exposed breast.
    I woulda been offended had I known it was going on. If it's been going on for 10 years, I wonder how it can go on for all that time and nobody mentioned it.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    I woulda been offended had I known it was going on. If it's been going on for 10 years, I wonder how it can go on for all that time and nobody mentioned it.
    Me too.

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

What blatant disrespect. It's so sad to see the direction that this country is going. Everyday I read something in the news that makes me shake my head in sadness and disbelief.
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG Ī-

member since day 1 Array title="7SteelGal43 is a name known to all"> 7SteelGal43's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Holiday View Post

I hate this "the founding fathers weren't saint's" bullcrap. Our founding fathers gave us the greatest country in the history of the world. As for it not being offensive, Doc, it was VERY offensive and the excuse of "aesthetic" purposes was complete and utter crap.
    Stay classy, leftnutz

Senior Member Array title="Doc_Holiday is an unknown quantity at this point"> Doc_Holiday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 7SteelGal43 View Post
    I hate this "the founding fathers weren't saint's" bullcrap. Our founding fathers gave us the greatest country in the history of the world. As for it not being offensive, Doc, it was VERY offensive and the excuse of "aesthetic" purposes was complete and utter crap.
    I said their excuse falls short and it is a bullshit excuse. But our founding fathers, if you read history, didn't walk on water. They created our great country and accomplished things that have been unraveling for the past thirty years.

This direction everyone seems to fear we're headed has been happening for that long and I wonder where they've been. President Eisenhower warned of it; even Kennedy.

Our founding fathers were great men and of whom a good majority were also complete dicks or otherwise known as - politicians. The only one that seems to stand above the rest is President Washington.

If you think about it, it takes a few assholes to change things even in the positive. I hate that both sides of our political system are rewriting history as if everything was peace and love between our founding fathers and/or that they lovingly beat their slaves for sport. That's what bothers me - no one seems to actually know our history.

Senior Member Array title="Akagi is an unknown quantity at this point">

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    The lack of respect for our founding fathers in this country is utterly disgraceful. There would be no Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. without George Washington, they should be celebrating that.
    Yeah; no slaves.

I think they should have left the statue uncovered, but that's just me. It is what it is, accept it all and move forward. But, they have their reasons, it wasn't illegal, it didn't involve us, and in the end, much ado about nothing.

See, I just don't get these posters who say "it's no big deal" , "it really don't mean nothing"..,......really ?!!
    Stay classy, leftnutz

Well we really don't know why they covered it up, so it may not mean anything. Then again, they could have had malicious reasons for doing so and I'd hope they'd give that.

But in the grand scheme of things, this isn't that horrible.

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

play a bit of devils advocate, but what if it was a statue of MLK and a group covered it?

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsdancefloor View Post
    play a bit of devils advocate, but what if it was a statue of MLK and a group covered it?
    Touche - I can see people screaming racism. Yes we have a double-standard and it's not going to go away anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsdancefloor View Post

THANK YOU !

As for "we really don't know why they covered it up", I mean we can all agree the "aesthetic purposes for the backdrop" angle was total BS, so what other possible reason could they have for covering it up other than a malicious reason ? Other than the "cover up the statue of the evil slave owning bastard" ?
    Stay classy, leftnutz

But it wasn't a statue of MLK... Let me ask you; do you doubt that somewhere, some white group hasn't covered such a statue? More likely they'd have defaced it.

Now more to the point of the guy who complained, "...the NAACP should stop putting its energy into apparently symbolic statements like this and start doing more to address problems like high-school dropout rates in the black community. 'These are things the NAACP should be dealing with rather than running around covering up statues of dead white guys,' Marcus said."

Azackly. It was a senseless thing to do not because it was disrespectful, but because it riled people up and didn't help solve anything.

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

Quote Originally Posted by Akagi View Post
    But it wasn't a statue of MLK... Let me ask you; do you doubt that somewhere, some white group hasn't covered such a statue? More likely they'd have defaced it.

Now more to the point of the guy who complained, "...the NAACP should stop putting its energy into apparently symbolic statements like this and start doing more to address problems like high-school dropout rates in the black community. 'These are things the NAACP should be dealing with rather than running around covering up statues of dead white guys,' Marcus said."

Azackly. It was a senseless thing to do not because it was disrespectful, but because it riled people up and didn't help solve anything.
    Well you are right I expect this type of stuff from groups like the kkk or black panthers but the naacp is supposed to be a group protecting the rights of african americans not trying to rile people up or create tension.

Yes. Instead of symbols, fix real problems. It's stupid to cover statues because it doesn't do anything but hurt people.

Senior Member Array title="The WH will become famous soon enough"> The WH's Avatar

The founders of the United States stood for everything that the United States isn't right now.